Start by marking “Desert Falcon (Falcon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Desert Falcon (Falcon, #1)

Desert Falcon (Bittersweet Dreams)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Ornithologist Hunter Devereaux lost everything in the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and was forced to go underground as a matter of survival. He's just getting back to his feet, hiding among the native falconers at the Dubai Falcon Hospital, when a phone call from America threatens to drag his secret past to light and tear down the walls he's built around his broken heart.

A Bit
Published March 16th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Desert Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desert Falcon

Sofia

Read this first before starting the novel[book:City Falcon|12157176. Liked the writing and the story.
I do feel that it's background so I might have to revisit.

Simsala
Mar 19, 2011 Simsala rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
More than words...

Eden Winters
In Desert Falcon, Feliz Faber creates an environment so believable that you can almost picture yourself leaning closer to better hear Hunter's tale around the campfire in the middle of the desert. You come to know him, his love for birds of prey, the people of his adopted land, and his devotion to the man to whom he's given his heart. Hunter Devereaux is no cookie-cutter character, but, while as flawed as anyone, he remains a very unique individual with a keen sense of honor.

The culture, the su
Kaje Harper
This is a wonderful story. The exotic setting is given just enough description to be fully realized without overwhelming the human story at the heart of the book. Hunter, the main character and first-person narrator, felt real to me from the opening words. His voice was clear, distinctive and rang true throughout. By describing the most traumatic events in recollection rather than the present, there is just enough distance to keep drama from becoming melodrama. As soon as I turned the last page, ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Even though this book is a bittersweet story (one I can't really call romance either) I still enjoyed it.

I love stories that go into detail about interesting jobs or interesting hobbies. I love reading about things I won't normally see or even know of. Falconry is something I've never heard of before until I read a post by the author on the publishers blog. To say I was fascinated would be an understatement and considering this is a type of prequel to City Falcon, I decided to take a chance on
Lady*M
I have foolishly avoided this story because, at this point of my life, I have very little desire to read the stories that don't have an optimistic ending and Bittersweet Dreams fall in that category. My mistake. A huge, huge mistake.

Whenever I read a story like this, I realize once again how isolated we Westerners are in our own corner of the world and how many fascinating places and cultures are just waiting out there. I fell in love with Hunter, a man who had sacrificed a lot for love and, yet
Ami
I read this sometime this month to give me a sort of "background" before the novel, City Falcon, is released (since I was intrigued with the blurb of the novel). I know that it's a Bittersweet Romance title, but since the "event" happened in the past, and Hunter "tells" us, readers, rather than us reading the event as it happens, it lacks the emotion for me, even if I find Hunter intriguing as character.

Because of that, it gives me enough curiosity to read the novel and finds out what will happ
Val Kovalin
Just for fun - 6 word plot: Mysterious expatriate falconer faces tragic past. No problems and much to praise, especially the vivid sense of Bedouin culture and Middle Eastern location, and the tension generated around Hunter's revelations about his past. This story generates a big emotional impact in only an afternoon, night, and morning in the main character's life, and may linger in the reader's mind for long afterward.
Cat
This lovely story was recommended to me, but being the lover of happy endings I am, I delayed reading it, thinking it would break my fragile little heart. ;-) I'm quite happy to say that while there definitely isn't a happy ending, there is still a hopeful one, and while the author portrays some horrible moments in the story, the way she has chosen to show them makes the story more melancholy heartbreaking than hopelessly heartbreaking, if that makes any sense. Creating a believable and impressi ...more
Calathea
Not your classic romance, sad and melancholic, spiced with the atmosphere of the Arabic world.
A precious little gem!
I really, really liked it. Waiting for the next one!
Plainbrownwrapper
This is a very nice, atmospheric short about an American falconer who got caught up in the Iraq/Kuwait conflicts with tragic results. It's more of a preview than an independent story, however, and it really should be read in tandem with its sequel, City Falcon.

If Faber isn't a falconer herself, she does a good job of imitating somebody who is familiar with the sport. And this is certainly not your typical mm setup -- an American falconer living as a Bedouin in the United Arab Emirates? Really??

A
Snowtulip
3.5

Faber does a good job of packing a lot of punch in a small space. This short story if full of information and gives the reader glimpses into a facsinating world, a love lost, and a changed man. This is my first read from Faber and look forward to reading more.
Moniqee
The intense plot with pragmatic characters brings out the sadness of this shortie and coupled with an "easy on words" writing had me hopeful for more ( for the main man ).
Karen
4 stars for the writing, but it was just too short!
G G
This was a sweet little short story.
Tam
Jun 22, 2011 Tam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
For those who require a definitely HEA, this is not the story for you, but for those who can step outside the box for a few pages, it’s an excellent choice. Hunter is stunned when he gets a call from America, which blows his cover in the Middle East. Ever since the invasion of Kuwait (I said this is contemporary but takes place in 1996 – recent historical?), he has been working as a falconer for a bird sanctuary.

Now that he has been contacted, he knows he must leave and return to the US, and tak
Don Bradshaw
I'm not much for reading short stories but saw that this was kind of a prequel to City Falcon. The story was a bitter sweet tale of an American forced to blend in and become a trusted local after Iraq invaded Kuwait. The story of his love for a gay Arab man made me appreciate our western attitudes toward gay men which are far from good. Ms Faber did an excellent job of painting life in the middle east with its desert beauty and strict taboos. I'm more than ready to delve into City Falcon.
Meggie
This shorty was a good preview into main characters past experience. Which is rather unusual, but this way we could get a feeling for Hunter as a character. This shorty was complex and good. I'm looking forward to read next book: City Falcon
Danielle
I'm not sure I liked the style of writing in this one. The plot was definitely interesting but I'm not sure it worked as a novella. The characters are too complicated to uncover in such a short text so my verdict is this book definitely leaves you unsatisfied.
Td
This was gooood. Really liked the setting and even with the bittersweet ending I was left with the hope of better things to come. If this is what Ms. Faber can do this with a short story, I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do with a full length novel.
Jess Candela
Loved it, really impressed with how much story there was in so few pages, how completely it took me to another world. Really looking forward to the next one, and hopefuly finally seeing Hunter get a HEA.
LDL
Well written great setting but it's the ending that brings it down for me. It looks as though there may be a continuation of the story coming out this year.
Zenharley
Not a long story, but nuanced imagery and an unusual but believable plot make this a keeper. A new author to me, and a happy find.
Adriana
Really good book, not at all how I think It would be!
Short, but tells a really good story.
Monica
Great little short story. Looking forward to reading City Falconer.
Tamarrion Lash
Исключительно хорошо, но мало.
Gloria (censored by Goodreads)
I thought I would like this and City Falcon, after all I am insane about birds of prey and have had a long personal history with them. But I found the writing stilted and weird somehow. I don't know what the issue is, but I just couldn't read either book. I'll probably end up trying again later, but right now this is standing at DNF.
KC
KC marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Nick Pageant
Nick Pageant marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Caught
  • The Night Porter (Night Porter, #1)
  • Out of the Blue
  • Inspiration
  • Fall Into the Sun (Alejo and Bobby, #1)
  • Idaho Battlegrounds
  • King Mai (The Lost and Founds, #2)
  • First Time for Everything
  • When Love Is Not Enough (Unconditional Love, #1)
  • Beyond Reckless
  • Basic Training
  • The Invisible Chains - Part 1: Bonds of Hate (Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse, #1)
  • Dark Edge of Honor
  • Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)
  • The Soldier's Tale
  • Highway Man
  • Forbidden Love
  • Last Line
City Falcon (Falcon, #2) Thorns Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) Among the Living (PsyCop, #1) Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)