Start by marking “The Complete Guide to Saving Seeds: 322 Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, Flowers, Trees, and Shrubs” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Learn how to collect, save, and cultivate the seeds from more than 300 vegetables, herbs, fruits, flowers, trees, and shrubs. It’s easy, and it’s fun! Authors Robert Gough and Cheryl Moore-Gough thoroughly explain every step in the seed-saving process. Descriptions of seed biology; tips on how to select plants for the best seeds; and advice on harvesting and cleaning, prop ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published June 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Guide to Saving Seeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Guide to Saving Seeds

I didn't actually read this word for word, as that would be like reading the dictionary. The first half is a technical review of terminology and botanical physiology, very useful for the seed-saving-wannabe such as myself. The second half is a wonderful go-to reference. It is so refreshing to read a perfect book for a change, one that expects the reader to have gotten past sixth grade. This is well-edited, impeccably / thoroughly researched, and then written understandably without stooping to a ...more
I started this book (but haven't finished it yet) because I joined a seed saver group at my local library. I got some seeds from the library and I'm supposed to plant them, let some plants go to seed, then return the seeds to the library for others to use. I'm a gardener and I've saved the seeds of some of my plants before, so I thought, no big deal.

Well, who knew that plant reproduction and seed saving would be so complicated? Geez. I'll have to get back to this book later when I have more time
Incredible tome!

There is not only a ton of great information between the covers of this book, but there are wonderfully put together science and history courses as well. An awesome book for my shelf, a reference I will go to many more times and a truly wonderful reminder of how important the teachings were of all of those who came before us...Thank you.
Heydi Smith
This book is so packed with just the info you need and none of the jargon and run around you don't. I love this book!
This book goes into specifics of seed saving that are very helpful (isolation, collection, cleaning, storage, treatment, germination, and transplanting).
I kind of hate when plants are organized by their Latin name versus common name, because it makes it more difficult to find what you're looking for (who knows Latin names off the top of their head???). However the book is only organized like that for flowers, nuts, fruits and trees. Veggies are by common name. Whateva, it's still a pretty cool
This is an excellent guide to have for a number of reasons. It provides good background, clear instructions and scientific names which are a must for seed savers and the ability to handle cross pollination issues.
Melody Condron
What a helpful book on seed saving! Seeds of change is still my go-to, but this book have a concise description of seed-saving practices for most plants you might want, and it includes ranges for how far you need to keep plants from similar varieties to maintain the lineage. Very helpful, and also nicely laid out.
Good basic information in a colourful, glossy format. Having already read the more advanced Seed Savers Handbook by Michel and Jude Fanton, I only skimmed through this. I would recommend this as a good accessible introduction to seed saving for beginners.
Marjorie Elwood
I had no idea that seed-saving was so complex....
Some good practicle advice with sections on individual plants and what there requirements are for growth and seed collection.
Natasha marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Bellewitch66 is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2015
Piper Mount
Piper Mount marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Rochelle marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Ayla marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Barry marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Niki marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Julie added it
Jul 25, 2015
Bianca is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
T. L.
T. L. is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2015
Ktln marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Nandi marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015