Start by marking “My Father Had a Daughter: Judith Shakespeare's Tale” as Want to Read:
My Father Had a Daughter: Judith Shakespeare's Tale

My Father Had a Daughter: Judith Shakespeare's Tale

In this wonderfully inventive novel, Grace Tiffany weaves fact with fiction to bring Judith Shakespeare to vibrant life. Through Judith's eyes, we glimpse the world of her famous playwright father: his work, his family, and his inspiration.
Published August 3rd 2004 by Berkley (first published May 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about My Father Had a Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Father Had a Daughter

Kim
Mar 02, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoying this one, further proof of my love for historical fiction. Only wish I was more knowledgeable about Shakespeare. I'm sure I would appreciate it even more if I was more familiar with his plays.

Finished and highly recommended!
Clare
Nov 30, 2009 Clare rated it liked it
This story is told from the point of view of Shakespeare's daughter. After I had finished reading this novel, I looked up some of the pertinent facts mentioned in the book and found them to be true, which made this tale even more interesting.
Andrew
Mar 16, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who enjoys Shakespeare, this novel will bring to life Renaissance England in the late 1500's. Little is known about Shakespeare's personal life, but author Grace Tiffany has taken what is known and woven a story filled with family strife, romance, suspense and heart-break. Tiffany mastered the feel of the dilect of Middle English without the difficulty of interpretation for the reader of the 21st century. Case in point:

"Do you think I could send a plague on Susanna?" I asked.

"No." Ham
Brenda DiVincenzo
Apr 12, 2008 Brenda DiVincenzo rated it really liked it
Although the story ended up to be pretty predictable, I really enjoyed it during the reading. Maybe I would have enjoyed reading "The Bard" more in High School if they taught a little background info on him as well. I'm sure this story is highly fictionalized but what it left me with is.."What was Shakespeare really like and who was he as a man?"
ACS Librarian
I love how this book is written. The Shakespearian lilt, the playfulness, and the dramatic intent all seem perfect. The story isn 19t bound by the historical facts of Shakespeare 19s life, and I don 19t have a problem with that. Tiffany has inspired me to find out more about the reality of the family. Her literary license seems reasonable enough, and I know more now than I did when I started reading.

That 19s not what really matters with this book, anyway. Judith Shakespeare is a wonderful chara
Int'l librarian
I love how this book is written. The Shakespearian lilt, the playfulness, and the dramatic intent all seem perfect. The story isn’t bound by the historical facts of Shakespeare’s life, and I don’t have a problem with that. Tiffany has inspired me to find out more about the reality of the family. Her literary license seems reasonable enough, and I know more now than I did when I started reading.

That’s not what really matters with this book, anyway. Judith Shakespeare is a wonderful character. He
Cam Mannino
Mar 15, 2012 Cam Mannino rated it liked it
I'm on an escapist Shakespeare jag - watched a 5 part documentary called "In Search of Shakespeare" and "Shakespeare in Love" and then read this book, all in a 10 day period. This is a light, not terribly historically accurate novel from the point of view, obviously, of Shakespeare's daughter, Judith. In reality, I've read, Judith was illiterate (she named her name with an x as a young adult, I believe) but here she is imaginative and highly literate, acting out plays with her younger brother Ha ...more
Barb
There are parts of this novel that I thought were very well written and interesting but the story builds tension to the middle and the ending seemed like a bit of an after thought.

Tiffany creates a likeable character in her fictionalized Judith Shakespeare and portrays a sweet and loving sibling bond between Judith and her twin Hamnet. I enjoyed Judith's adventures and her relationship with her father.

But the historical record indicates that Judith Shakespeare appears to have been illiterate,
Diane
Dec 16, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
This was a decent read if you enjoy all the references to Shakespeare and his plays. (I do). Otherwise it might seem dull. It's an interesting idea....Shakespeare's youngest daughter leaves Stratford to go to London and become an actor on her father's stage. Of course women were't allowed to act so she has to dress like a boy. The plot was borrowed a bit from the movie "Shakespeare In Love." I was troubled by Judith Shakespeare's relationship with another actor. It's described as love making but ...more
Susan E
Mar 05, 2008 Susan E rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008-read
Hmmm... interesting premise... a story told from the point of view of William Shakespeare's daughter. Yet it didn't work for me. Cashing in on the current interest in historical figures is an interesting trend. Apparently we readers are keen to read different stories about Henry VIII's wives and his daughter Elizabeth, so why not Shakespeare? For me, it could have been any angst-against-parents story, just with a historical bent. I did not get attached to Judith, the narrator, and even found her ...more
Mike Jensen
The story of Shakespeare and one of his daughters, who follows him to London and gets into the sort of mischief a girl in her later teens might get into if she does that. She learns about life and Shakespeare learns about family and responsibility. It is not the sort of book I would read, ordinarily, so it should be reviewed by someone more attuned to this sort of novel. I found it competent and very readable, and have met people who thought it was excellent. It is hard to review this one. It wa ...more
Ami
Apr 17, 2008 Ami rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. I feel like it took me longer to read than most books...and that is partially because I wasn't so drawn in that I read it at every opportunity I had. I haven't read too much of Shakespeare's stuff, and maybe that's why. Perhaps if I was more of a Shakespeare fan, this would have captured my interest a bit more. Overall though it was pretty good. It was an interesting read and I learned some things about Shakespeare's life that I normally would not have.
Samantha Adkins
Jul 01, 2012 Samantha Adkins rated it really liked it
A lovely imagining of the life of Judith Shakespeare - daughter of William Shakespeare. It is full of beautiful language and adventure. Judith is a fair creature who falls in love with her father's plays and the art of acting. Her relationship with her father is layered and grows throughout the book. Tiffany shows her obvious knowledge of Shakespeare, his plays and his family.
Celeste
Feb 20, 2012 Celeste rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book...I found it in the YA section...but believe it belongs in the adult. Not a book I would recommend all of my friends..I could see how some would find it slow moving and boring...but I found it entertaining and witty..of course one of my all time favorite movies is "Shakespeare In Love" (the edited version of course! ) and it resembles that it a way.
Kelly
An interesting premise. Judith Shakespeare tells her story (very similar to the movie Shakespeare in Love - the idea of a missing parts of Shakespeare's life being told). It's interesting how the reader is given a look at her father, her twin Hamnet, and her mom.
Abigail
Jul 28, 2008 Abigail rated it liked it
Definitely not a Young Adult book like it is labeled - far too many historical and Shakespearean references that no 14 year old would catch. If you don't have any knowledge of Shakespeare's work or home life, the story will seem shallow and a fast read - otherwise it's packed with references and hidden meanings that make the story a treasure.
Sandra Guerfi
This is one of my favorite books ever. The author has done a lovely job of describing the family ties that Shakespeare and his children shared and the influences they shed on his writings. But it is also a lovely story of a daughter's love for the father who seems so distant and maligned at times. Beautifully crafted.
Beth
Aug 11, 2008 Beth added it
I didn't really like Judith much but I found the story interesting for the world in which it was set and the glimpses it gave of what William Shakespeare as man and father might perhaps have been like.
Dawn (& Ron)
Jul 17, 2012 Dawn (& Ron) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shakespeare fans
Really enjoyed Shakespeare's daughter, Judith, and seeing his world and life through her eyes. Slowed down in last third of book and ending didn't have the same impact and power as the rest. But Judith makes this worth the read as she outshines her father!
Naomi
Nov 18, 2009 Naomi rated it liked it
An interesting imagined "backstory" behind a line in one of Shakespeare's plays (can't even remember which one now), based on what little we know of his family/children. Well-researched into Elizabethan theatre, taught me some things I didn't know, and a great story!
Beth
Jan 31, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
A fun book for Shakespeare fans. It's an older one that I had kicking around and finally read it last night. It's one of those books that seems like it ends in the midde. Interesting stuff happened in the second half but the pacing was off.
Juliana
May 01, 2013 Juliana rated it really liked it
Well-written story of Shakespearean England as seen through the eyes of Judy, one of his daughters. Heart wrenching, yet hysterical at times. The girl was as witty and bold as her father must have been.
Lacey
Jul 11, 2011 Lacey rated it did not like it
Shelves: travel
I only read this because we made a trip to Stratford-Upon-Avon. I found it superficially written. The author really failed to dig into the main character and give her motivations so that a reader could relate to what she did or how she felt.
Becky
Mar 03, 2009 Becky rated it it was ok
The premise was good, but I felt the book peaked too soon and then seemed to drag on. Otherwise, it is an interesting look at the time of Shakespeare.
C
Aug 24, 2012 C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun perspective and well researched. A few times a bit of rambling/got off point and then back to the plot.
Emily Love
Aug 30, 2008 Emily Love rated it it was amazing
Shakespeare's life is such a mystery. Learning about him through the life of his daughter is so creative. And the battle that this woman faces to be on-stage is wonderful to read about.
~Michelle~
Apr 19, 2014 ~Michelle~ rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club, 2014-reads
I'm just going to say I'm glad this one is over. :(

The last 1/4 of the book was better than the rest, but, eh, just not that great to me.
Tará O'Sullivan
This is a fun, imaginative story of Shakespeare's daughter....She has a mischeivous mind and love for the theatre, just like her father.
Joan
May 05, 2015 Joan rated it liked it
Shelves: r5-group
Fairly light read of the possible story of Judith Shakespeare, William's younger daughter. Historical fiction is always a good bet.
Robin
Feb 06, 2009 Robin rated it it was ok
Not a bad read but I found bits of it a bit far fetched (such as Shakespeare's daughter being able to run off to London and pose as a boy to get on stage at the Globe).
  • Shakespeare's Daughter
  • A Likely Story: One Summer with Lillian Hellman
  • Crooked Tree
  • The Firemaster's Mistress (Francis Quoynt #1)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Leonardo da Vinci Mystery, #1)
  • The Shield of Three Lions (Alix of Wanthwaite, #1)
  • Women of Magdalene
  • A Diamond in the Rough (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)
  • The Secret Confessions of Anne Shakespeare
  • Mina
  • The Disorder of Longing
  • To Timbuktu: A Journey Down the Niger
  • The Devil's Advocate
  • Maia of Thebes (Life and Times)
  • Brides of Eden: A True Story Imagined
  • Sister Salty, Sister Sweet: A Memoir of Sibling Rivalry
  • The Lives of Rachel
  • The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet
A New York native who mostly grew up in Virginia, Grace Tiffany is a Renaissance scholar who in recent years has turned her hand to the creation of historical novels.
More about Grace Tiffany...