Start by marking “Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition” as Want to Read:
Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition

Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,915 ratings  ·  133 reviews
A comprehensive reference of both Asian medicine and Western research on health and nutrition to create a healthy diet. It includes: *Current guidelines on nutrition basics, such as the protein/vitamin B12 group, fats and oils, sugars and sweeteners, water, salt, seaweeds, "green foods" (micro-algae and cereal grasses), calcium, oxygen, and other nutritional concerns. *Dis ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 784 pages
Published November 5th 2002 by North Atlantic Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Healing With Whole Foods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing With Whole Foods

The God Complex by Chris TitusHealing With Whole Foods by Paul PitchfordAcupuncture is Like Noodles by Lisa RohlederAcupuncture for Ivf and Assisted Reproduction by Irina Szmelskyj
Best Chinese Medicine Books
2nd out of 4 books — 14 voters
Food For Thought by Emerald LindsayGood Calories, Bad Calories by Gary TaubesSalt Sugar Fat by Michael MossWhat I Know For Sure by Oprah WinfreyThe Natural Hygiene Diet by James Michael Lennon
Must Read Health Book
41st out of 96 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Dawn
Sep 25, 2008 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people in pain willing to make a big change
As a friend put it, "he's a real radical." And yes, Paul Pitchford is very extreme in his assessments and directives. No sweets, no dairy or meat, except for the super-debilitated. It can be hard to figure out where you fit into all the information, but, after 2 years of poring over this tome, I find myself mentally referring to it with frequency, as well as looking to it often for recipes and advice. Also, importantly, it is no substitute for (competent) professional guidance, except maybe in v ...more
Lisa Kekaula
Mar 08, 2009 Lisa Kekaula is currently reading it
I will never be finished with this book. It is a manual for understanding your personal relationship to food and your body. I go to it often
Heather P
This was one of my textbooks in grad school and I thoroughly enjoy it. It is full of information that is sure to change your eating habits for the better. It lists different conditions and ways to eat to heal your body. It has a great section on calcium, magnesium, and brown rice that I think is invaluable. If you are concerned about what you eat and how to live healthier then you need to check out this book.
Haines
Essentially a vegan adjustment of traditional Chinese medicine, this is a fucking tome (and I haven't read all of it). Nonetheless, it has the scent of total authority. More of a life-long reference than anything else, it is pretty great if you are interested in significantly changing your diet and balancing your constitution. Recipes, self-diagnostic stuff, theory, history, etc. Immense.

Taran Hans-dhillon
What an insight into Asian food! Anyone who believes in good diet, psyche and spirit this book is for them. It outlines the warning signs of illnesses and makes clear recommendations about foods and herbs that can be used in order not to worsen the illness. I haven't practiced any of the recipes, generally eat right anyway, but a couple of people who have read the book and practiced have actually recovered from their ailment, and some even from very severe conditions. I can, of course believe, o ...more
Jamie
an epic overview of east meets west nutrition from a chinese medicine perspective [no ayerveda here]. i'm not sure i'll finish this 700+ page reference, but it has been easier to use it as such since reading some of the deeper diagnostic discussions early on in the book. because i temper my hippie eating food habits [currently being dubbed the 'priviledged peasant' diet] with lots of butter and bacon, i'm not sure i can be a proponent of this book with full integrity. but if you walk the middle ...more
Mimi
always reading this book. just a great resource on nutrition, definitely for those interested in chinese/asian nutrition theory and health. for most asians, especially in ayurvedic thought, the gut is the source of all the bodies ailments and this book speaks to that. he talks about foods that most people don't eat, sea vegetables, dark greens, grains like millet and amaranth. it has helped me to learn and incoporate a lot of foods i wasn't raised with into my eating.
Gregory Levine
Kind of torn about this book. Started off very interested, however, I don't think it's internally consistent. Veganism is a major stresspoint of the book, however, so is Chinese medicine, which is not a vegan tradition. Chinese medicine is also presented in a very confusing manner. On the other hand, there is a wealth of knowledge about the nutrients present in natural foods, preparation, and traditional remedies.
Jenalyn
Jan 16, 2008 Jenalyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenalyn by: My Acupuncturist
Asian healing can be at best confusing. However in what little research I have done they are spot on about many things, especially the links between personality and constitution. I reference this book almost once a day. Especially when trying to figure out how to pair food. Should I drink water with this meal? Should I serve this hot or cold for the best nutiritional intake?
Corrina Sysyn
This is almost a daily read for me. Highly recommend to anyone looking to improve their diet to combat an illness or to improve the quality of their life in general. This might be the best guide to whole foods I've ever owned...and I have quite a few. This one ain't collecting dust on my bookshelf. WE ARE WHAT WE EAT!
Hepburn
Paul Pitchford, the author of this book, studied Chinese medicine for a long time, so he spends a lot on ink writing about Yin-Yang theory. The interesting part in this section was about qi (chi), which is called prana in India and ki in Japan.

This book also suggests dietary treatment of several diseases in Part IV, so you can use it as reference.

The final chapter of this book was the most fascinating for me. It introduces "Sattva," which means "the path of equilibrium and essence." In Sattvic l
Heidi
This book changed my life. It explains how eating the right foods can heal what ails you, and it explains it in a way that makes total sense. I first read this book in 1995, and i conti ue to use it as a reference to this day.
Elizabeth
Wow. This book drops some serious knowlege on its reader. It reads like a textbook and has so much information that I had to take copious amounts of notes. No health platitudes just straight information. Excellent.
Jubz
This is the ultimate reference in nutrition, diet, and health. This will give you the knowledge you need to diagnose and treat your many deficiencies and excesses with a whole food diet.
Sarah Bacon
Jul 22, 2014 Sarah Bacon marked it as to-read
Shelves: uncategorized
This is THE authoritative tome on whole foods coupled with Traditional Chinese Medicine.

It is information-dense reference material, while still being highly readable. Yes it is on my nightstand.
Lily
I haven't read this one cover to cover but it's great reference book. It's centered around eastern medicine and creating balance with what your eat. I'm working on my yin at the moment.
Frank
Aug 07, 2008 Frank rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: food-health
I wish he would update it. This came out 5 years ago. A lot has been found out since then. I'm amazed this book is still in one piece. The bible of health, I'm always referencing this book.
Melinda
this book is unbelievable any quiestion you have can be answered and change your life empower you to realize that you can heal any ailment you just gotta learn how and take action
Katie Fitzgerald
One of my favorite books of all time. Very informative and great to reference when changing diet or looking to alternative ways to stay healthy.
Rolan Gregg
a huge and complete book. run, don't walk, to get this one. everyone needs a copy even if you eat Froot Loops.
Erin
Informative book, but it has a vegetarian bias which is not congruent with traditional Chinese food therapy.
Carol Ann
Still my go-to for so many reasons. I got this book years ago, and I still consult it on a regular basis.
Maile
The most useful book I've owned - I don't go a day without referencing it.
FrankenStan
dont sleep on this. call it my bible.
Jib
"Convenient" would be the word I'd use to describe this book. And that's really what it is: any time I need to refer to something on nutrition, I look it up in this book.

The Internet is extremely easy to use for research purposes. Many times I'll use Healing with Whole Foods as a "jumping pad," by reading through what Pitchford said about the topic, then using the terminology I pick up from the book to do further research online.

An example would be hypoglycemia. I'll read notes from this book
S'hi
Dec 19, 2012 S'hi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: alternative health practitioners, chinese medicine, nutritionists, kinesiologists
An absolute wealth of information, experience and understanding, Healing With Whole Foods is offered as a reference volume for practitioners in a variety of fields dealing with both energetic and physical patterns of health in their clients. I personally came across the volume in support of my studies in holistic kinesiology and Chinese medicine, and found it particularly useful for the combinations of symptoms presenting outside the understanding of traditional western medicine.

One of the disco
TT
Paul Pitchfords book is a very dense resource. Don't be intimidated by its size. It would take the better part of a life time to master what's in here. What I love about this book is that it is NOT about a diet style or fad. Instead, this book simply (and in great detail) explains how foods react in our bodies, what nutrients are in certain foods and how certain constitutions do better or worse with certain foods. In this book you learn about foods and how they work in the body, then you make yo ...more
Lia
This is a daunting book filled with enough information to last you a lifetime. It needs a "quick start guide" or something at the beginning that gives a very useable understanding of how to use the book. The tone of the book is dry and heavy, which makes it less accessible than it needs to be. It does have some fascinating information. I found the section on Enjoying Food to be very interesting and helpful, although it didn't seem to be much about actually enjoying food. :-)

The author sets down
Hon Lee
Excellent explanation of nutrition from a Chinese and Asian medicine perspective. Has food recommendations and recipes cross-indexed to specific health problems.
Susanne Walker
There's a time and place for western medicine. But not before you first educate yourself on what is possible and begin to take responsibility for your own healing.
  • Food and Healing
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • The Self-Healing Cookbook:  Whole Foods To Balance Body, Mind and Moods
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Sugar Blues
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating

“Summer is a period of luxurious growth. To be in harmony with the atmosphere of summer, awaken early in the morning and reach to the sun for nourishment to flourish as the gardens do. Work, play, travel, be joyful, and grow into selfless service. The bounty of the outside world enters and enlivens us.” 3 likes