Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition

Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,560 ratings  ·  128 reviews
A comprehensive reference of both Asian medicine and Western research on health and nutrition to create a healthy diet. It includes: *Current guidelines on nutrition basics, such as the protein/vitamin B12 group, fats and oils, sugars and sweeteners, water, salt, seaweeds, "green foods" (micro-algae and cereal grasses), calcium, oxygen, and other nutritional concerns. *Dis...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 784 pages
Published November 5th 2002 by North Atlantic Books (first published 1993)

Dawn
Sep 25, 2008 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people in pain willing to make a big change
As a friend put it, "he's a real radical." And yes, Paul Pitchford is very extreme in his assessments and directives. No sweets, no dairy or meat, except for the super-debilitated. It can be hard to figure out where you fit into all the information, but, after 2 years of poring over this tome, I find myself mentally referring to it with frequency, as well as looking to it often for recipes and advice. Also, importantly, it is no substitute for (competent) professional guidance, except maybe in v...more
Lisa Kekaula
Mar 08, 2009 Lisa Kekaula is currently reading it
I will never be finished with this book. It is a manual for understanding your personal relationship to food and your body. I go to it often
Heather P
This was one of my textbooks in grad school and I thoroughly enjoy it. It is full of information that is sure to change your eating habits for the better. It lists different conditions and ways to eat to heal your body. It has a great section on calcium, magnesium, and brown rice that I think is invaluable. If you are concerned about what you eat and how to live healthier then you need to check out this book.
Haines
Essentially a vegan adjustment of traditional Chinese medicine, this is a fucking tome (and I haven't read all of it). Nonetheless, it has the scent of total authority. More of a life-long reference than anything else, it is pretty great if you are interested in significantly changing your diet and balancing your constitution. Recipes, self-diagnostic stuff, theory, history, etc. Immense.

Taran Hans-dhillon
What an insight into Asian food! Anyone who believes in good diet, psyche and spirit this book is for them. It outlines the warning signs of illnesses and makes clear recommendations about foods and herbs that can be used in order not to worsen the illness. I haven't practiced any of the recipes, generally eat right anyway, but a couple of people who have read the book and practiced have actually recovered from their ailment, and some even from very severe conditions. I can, of course believe, o...more
Jamie
an epic overview of east meets west nutrition from a chinese medicine perspective [no ayerveda here]. i'm not sure i'll finish this 700+ page reference, but it has been easier to use it as such since reading some of the deeper diagnostic discussions early on in the book. because i temper my hippie eating food habits [currently being dubbed the 'priviledged peasant' diet] with lots of butter and bacon, i'm not sure i can be a proponent of this book with full integrity. but if you walk the middle...more
Mimi
always reading this book. just a great resource on nutrition, definitely for those interested in chinese/asian nutrition theory and health. for most asians, especially in ayurvedic thought, the gut is the source of all the bodies ailments and this book speaks to that. he talks about foods that most people don't eat, sea vegetables, dark greens, grains like millet and amaranth. it has helped me to learn and incoporate a lot of foods i wasn't raised with into my eating.
Gregory Levine
Kind of torn about this book. Started off very interested, however, I don't think it's internally consistent. Veganism is a major stresspoint of the book, however, so is Chinese medicine, which is not a vegan tradition. Chinese medicine is also presented in a very confusing manner. On the other hand, there is a wealth of knowledge about the nutrients present in natural foods, preparation, and traditional remedies.
Jenalyn
Jan 16, 2008 Jenalyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenalyn by: My Acupuncturist
Asian healing can be at best confusing. However in what little research I have done they are spot on about many things, especially the links between personality and constitution. I reference this book almost once a day. Especially when trying to figure out how to pair food. Should I drink water with this meal? Should I serve this hot or cold for the best nutiritional intake?
Corrina Sysyn
This is almost a daily read for me. Highly recommend to anyone looking to improve their diet to combat an illness or to improve the quality of their life in general. This might be the best guide to whole foods I've ever owned...and I have quite a few. This one ain't collecting dust on my bookshelf. WE ARE WHAT WE EAT!
Heidi
This book changed my life. It explains how eating the right foods can heal what ails you, and it explains it in a way that makes total sense. I first read this book in 1995, and i conti ue to use it as a reference to this day.
Elizabeth
Wow. This book drops some serious knowlege on its reader. It reads like a textbook and has so much information that I had to take copious amounts of notes. No health platitudes just straight information. Excellent.
Jubz
This is the ultimate reference in nutrition, diet, and health. This will give you the knowledge you need to diagnose and treat your many deficiencies and excesses with a whole food diet.
Sarah Bacon
Jan 11, 2010 Sarah Bacon marked it as to-read
This is THE authoritative tome on whole foods coupled with Traditional Chinese Medicine.

It is information-dense reference material, while still being highly readable. Yes it is on my nightstand.
Lily
I haven't read this one cover to cover but it's great reference book. It's centered around eastern medicine and creating balance with what your eat. I'm working on my yin at the moment.
Frank
Aug 07, 2008 Frank rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: food-health
I wish he would update it. This came out 5 years ago. A lot has been found out since then. I'm amazed this book is still in one piece. The bible of health, I'm always referencing this book.
Melinda
this book is unbelievable any quiestion you have can be answered and change your life empower you to realize that you can heal any ailment you just gotta learn how and take action
Katie Fitzgerald
One of my favorite books of all time. Very informative and great to reference when changing diet or looking to alternative ways to stay healthy.
Rolan Gregg
a huge and complete book. run, don't walk, to get this one. everyone needs a copy even if you eat Froot Loops.
Erin
Informative book, but it has a vegetarian bias which is not congruent with traditional Chinese food therapy.
Carol Ann
Still my go-to for so many reasons. I got this book years ago, and I still consult it on a regular basis.
Maile
The most useful book I've owned - I don't go a day without referencing it.
Jib
"Convenient" would be the word I'd use to describe this book. And that's really what it is: any time I need to refer to something on nutrition, I look it up in this book.

The Internet is extremely easy to use for research purposes. Many times I'll use Healing with Whole Foods as a "jumping pad," by reading through what Pitchford said about the topic, then using the terminology I pick up from the book to do further research online.

An example would be hypoglycemia. I'll read notes from this book...more
S'hi
Dec 19, 2012 S'hi rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: alternative health practitioners, chinese medicine, nutritionists, kinesiologists
An absolute wealth of information, experience and understanding, Healing With Whole Foods is offered as a reference volume for practitioners in a variety of fields dealing with both energetic and physical patterns of health in their clients. I personally came across the volume in support of my studies in holistic kinesiology and Chinese medicine, and found it particularly useful for the combinations of symptoms presenting outside the understanding of traditional western medicine.

One of the disco...more
TT
Paul Pitchfords book is a very dense resource. Don't be intimidated by its size. It would take the better part of a life time to master what's in here. What I love about this book is that it is NOT about a diet style or fad. Instead, this book simply (and in great detail) explains how foods react in our bodies, what nutrients are in certain foods and how certain constitutions do better or worse with certain foods. In this book you learn about foods and how they work in the body, then you make yo...more
Lia
This is a daunting book filled with enough information to last you a lifetime. It needs a "quick start guide" or something at the beginning that gives a very useable understanding of how to use the book. The tone of the book is dry and heavy, which makes it less accessible than it needs to be. It does have some fascinating information. I found the section on Enjoying Food to be very interesting and helpful, although it didn't seem to be much about actually enjoying food. :-)

The author sets down...more
Marden
Excellent resource for nutrition and healing. This book provides a magnitude of information on foods, supplements, forms of exercise, al to aid in your healing process.
Laura Cantu
Healing With Whole Foods is an encyclopedia of useful information. Learn which foods will treat your particular disease or discomfort. Learn how foods affect you and why you should consume or avoid certain veggies, spices, or meats. This book has it all! It also explains the properties of foods, and touches on the philosophies behind planning a balanced meal. Of all the books in my library, Healing with Whole Foods is one of the most useful. I actually have 2 copies and gave it out for Christmas...more
Chantal
I just just bought this book due to a recent interest in western medicine. From what I see so far, I like it a lot. I am taking copious notes in its margins, and is the comprehensive guide I was looking for. In some parts it does get technical. I find this to be helpful in understanding the "why". It does a good job in making western medicine seem more like medicine than hocus pocus. I suspect it will become a staple reference in my library.
Ayden B
Back in the day, late teens, learned of this from a b/f in Berkeley. Back in l'il Carson City,NV, picked it up for $30 at the local health food store. It has been an early morning bible ever since. I consult it for recipes, at the start of a season to see what's best, or to look up specialties like spirulina or spelt or vitamin A... it is deep and tomeish and also very useable! Extensively drawn and sketched on and utilized by me.
  • Food and Healing
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • Between Heaven and Earth: A Guide to Chinese Medicine
  • Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • Sugar Blues
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • The Way of Herbs: Fully Updated with the Latest Developments in Herbal Science
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • The Green Pharmacy
The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating

“Summer is a period of luxurious growth. To be in harmony with the atmosphere of summer, awaken early in the morning and reach to the sun for nourishment to flourish as the gardens do. Work, play, travel, be joyful, and grow into selfless service. The bounty of the outside world enters and enlivens us.” 3 likes