Mr. Putter & Tabby Stir the Soup

Mr. Putter & Tabby Stir the Soup (Mr. Putter & Tabby #12)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Mr. Putter and Tabby's plans to cook a pot of homemade soup goes to the dogs--thanks to Mrs. Teaberry's pet, Zeke.
Published September 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

Beth A.
May 16, 2010 Beth A. rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: approximately 2nd grade
This is a story about an elderly gentleman and his cat, his neighbor and her dog, making soup. It sounds a bit dull, right? This book had my son rolling on the floor he was laughing so hard.

I love these books, the whole series. They are warm and funny. Mr. Putty is so earnest, and kind, and polite. It’s just that funny things keep happening to him. Often in children’s books the elderly are described as crotchety or addled, but Mr. Putter is so easy to identify with. The illustrations are very e...more
Libby
I've been having fun rediscovering the Mr. Putter and Tabby series with the kids, but this is the first one that has had them laughing out loud. Mr. Putter and Tabby's stove Bessie (that's the first funny part, that their stove has a name) gives out just as they are trying to make soup, so they go next door to borrow Mrs. Teaberry's stove. Mrs. Teaberry has to go out, but her good dog Zeke stays behind...and while Mrs. Teaberry promises he won't be a bother, he is. First, he fetches the usual to...more
Little Miss and the Legomeister
May 16, 2010

I love these books, the whole series. They are warm and funny. Mr. Putter is so earnest, and kind, and polite. It’s just that funny things keep happening to him. Often in children’s books the elderly are described as crotchety or addled, but Mr. Putter is so easy to identify with. The illustration...more
Betsie Johnson
POPULAR SERIES

Mr. Putter and his cat Tabby, are two old friends, and they want to make soup for dinner. When Mr. Putter's stove doesn't turn on, they go to Mrs. Teaberry's house next door to use her stove. The only problem is Zeke, her dog, is being a bother. The three have quite an adventure, but in the end, Mrs. Teaberry comes home and they all have a nice dinner.
This is good book for transitional readers, since it reads as a graphic novel. There is a lot of repetition and words that are easy...more
Cally Turner
I liked this book because it taught many lessons that are good for kids. It was about an elderly man who lived with his cat. He realized that his stove was broken and was not able to make soup, when he really wanted it. The neighbors were nice enough let him come over to cook and warned him in advance that the dog may get in the way. Mr. Putter was nice about it and tried to work around the dog but it just did not work out. When the woman came home she found Mr. Putter on the couch asleep and a...more
Ethelen V.
Rylant, C., & Howard, A. (2003). Mr. Putter & Tabby stir the soup. San Diego, CA: Harcourt.

I believe this book was intended for children from grade 1-3. The vocabulary is easy to understand, the sentences are short, and the illustrations are clean cut and not distracting. The story line also would be interesting to this age group. Children are at this point able to identify with having a pet and seeing that pet has a friend and part of the family. I've never read a Mr. Putter and Tabby...more
Susan Katz
When Bessie, Mr. Putter's stove, conks out, he has to make his soup at Mrs. Teaberry's house. Unfortunately, she's just on her way out to shuck oysters with the girls. Mr. Putter can still use her stove, but her good dog Zeke will be in the house. That's no problem. "Zeke's not a bother," says Mr. Putter. The next chapter, of course, is titled "The Bother." Another delightful entry in an always delightful series.
Betsy
I love that Rylant has given kids such lovable "old people" characters--such a change from the usual easy reader fare. This is one of our all-time faves. My kids love to read Mr. Putter's "Jiminy" lines and find the whole idea of Zeke being a bother absolutely hilarious.

From Elf: "I like "the bother"!! [chapter 4]
Dree
Excellent series, fabulous illustrations. More under Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea.
Dolly
Jul 25, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
This is another fun book in the "Mr. Putter and Tabby" series. Once again, Zeke is a pest, but Mr. Putter and Tabby are good neighbors and are patient with him. It's a fun book to read aloud and short enough for young children.
The Reading Countess
Zeke's antics and Old Bessie's refusal to turn on threaten to spoil Mr. Putter's plans to make soup. Will Mrs. Teaberry arrive in time to save the day? One can never go wrong picking up a Mr. Putter and Tabby book.
Elizabeth
One of our absolute favorites! We love just about anything by Cynthia Rylant, the Mr. Putter & Tabby series in particular. We have read and re-read this book and every time we end up in tears from laughing so hard.
Kelly Triplett
This is one of several in the series, all of which would be nice additions to the "chapter book" section of elementary classroom libraries. They are a nice alternative to Junie B. Jones.
Jul 25, 2011 Sarah added it
One of the best of the series. This story of the misadventures of Mr. Putter and Tabby as they try to make soup cracks my 4 year old up. She asks for it again and again.
Yuka
Cute story and hilarious illustrations made this book a nightly request at bedtime. My son shrieks with excitement every time Zeke comes back with a new item.
Natalie
My kids really really love Mr. Putter and Tabby. This one is their favorite (and they frequently say "Jiminy!" and then tell me it's from this book) :-)
Carissa Worm
The book was very fun and kept the children engaged and wondering what would happen next! Very good way to get children started on chapter books!
Janna
Cute, silly, fun read. Nice short chapters.

Readalike titles:

Ameliea Bedelia books
Henry and Mudge books

Readalike Author:

Laura Numeroff
Kristi
Favorite beginning reader series for my kids, and favorite book of the series. How can you not love Mr. Putter?
Ashley Greenfield
This is a series of books that will be good for those beginning to read chapter books.
Schmobes
Good level 3. Another amusing story from the Mr. Putter and Tabby series.
Kim T.
Looking forward to checking out this series.
Janet
I love all of the Mr. Putter and Tabby books.
Abi
Abi marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Bora
Bora added it
Apr 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • The Gray-Eyed Goddess (Tales from the Odyssey, #4)
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • Dragon's Fat Cat
  • The Caboose Who Got Loose
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Fancy Nancy: Spectacular Spectacles
  • For the Love of Autumn
  • Spring Story
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside?
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car
  • Yoko
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years