Start by marking “For a Breath I Tarry” as Want to Read:
For a Breath I Tarry

For a Breath I Tarry

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  202 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
[From Wikipedia] "For a Breath I Tarry" is a highly-regarded 1966 post-apocalyptic novelette by Roger Zelazny. Taking place long after the self-extinction of Man, it recounts the tale of Frost, a sentient machine ("...a silver-blue box, 40x40x40 feet,... featured in whatever manner he chose.") Though Man has disappeared, his robotic creations (and their creations in turn) ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 68 pages
Published July 1980 by Underwood Miller (first published September 1966)

To ask other readers questions about For a Breath I Tarry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For a Breath I Tarry

Algernon
Jan 14, 2016 Algernon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I picked this up because it was a Hugo candidate and because i liked the title.
I would recommend it to anyone who wants to find out you don't need hundreds of pages in order to write a great story. This novella is set on Earth after the last Man has died. His creations remain in the form of Artificial Inteligence automatons.
From this point, Zelazny goes to explore the limitations of A.I. and the definition of humanity.
The ending is very satisfactory, with the lines from what I discovered to be
David
Jan 20, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Short and to the point, this story is very good and has aged well, despite being nearly 47 years old. It describes a robot named Frost in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, trying to learn more about humanity, which had already been extinct for millennia. I could describe it, but this quote from the story will tell you everything you need to know about it.

"Regard this piece of ice, mighty Frost. You can tell me its composition, dimensions, weight, temperature. A Man could not look at it and do that.
Rachel
Sep 05, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Since Samuel R. Delany's epic and challenging Dhalgren destroyed my reading goal for the year, I'm catching up on some short stories and novellas to try to get back on track. Thank God I did -- this may be my most favorite sci-fi short story ever!!!

Man ceases to exist, but his Machines remain. The Machines revere Man as their creator and recognize that Man had abilities "beyond logic" that they could never possess, and so were superior beings. One Machine seeks to find out as much as possible ab
Michael
Mar 11, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I just re-read this novelette for the umpteenth time. It is one of my very favorite novelettes by one of my favorite authors.
As with much of Zelazny's stories there is a touch of spirituality in them. He pulls much of his ideas from mythology and scriptures.
In this story it is almost a retelling of creation (Genesis 1-3) and the Book of Job.

It's been 10,000 years since man has become extinct and Frost is a machine that controls the northern hemisphere of earth while Beta controls the southern
Lucy
Jan 01, 2013 Lucy rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure if I have read a short story that is as powerful as this one was. Zelazny creates a beautiful story in a way that a simple line can grip you with such intense emotion. This story is incredible, and I find myself unable to find the words for it.
Paul
Jul 10, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best short stories I have ever read. A wonderful examination of what it means to be human.
Thai Son
Oct 12, 2013 Thai Son rated it really liked it
Austin
Apr 02, 2016 Austin rated it it was amazing
Dope biblical parallels.
Jonathan
Nov 22, 2013 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories, sci-fi
This is a science fiction that manages to stand the test of time because it does not specify its place in time and is more philosophy based than science based. It is simple yet effective. My only criticism is that the personalities of the machines were at times just that - personalities. This weakened the central question of the story. Other than that, it is an easy, thoughtful read.
William
Feb 24, 2013 William rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It was interesting, an interesting setting, but didn't really justify or explain why advanced machines would think or act the way they did in this story, and the fact that its protagonist was a unique AI created during a solar flare with an implied extra 'spark' of something undefined is a pretty good summary of its limited scope.
Ahmad
Jan 20, 2013 Ahmad rated it it was amazing
A strangely beautiful tale of the birth of humanity from and by a machine, For a Breath I Tarry asks all those thought provoking questions about what it is to be human, following the story of a lonely supercomputer on an empty planet Earth.
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Yana
Yana rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Joshua Topliffe
Joshua Topliffe marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
unknown
unknown marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Lex Camargo
Lex Camargo marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Combiner
Combiner marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Smeltvlees
Smeltvlees rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
P WARNENSKI
P WARNENSKI marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Sarah Dinsmore
Sarah Dinsmore marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Radoslav
Radoslav rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Arandelix
Arandelix rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
nlytmr
nlytmr marked it as to-read
Jekaterina Dmitrijeva
Jekaterina Dmitrijeva marked it as to-read
Magodellepercussioni
Magodellepercussioni marked it as to-read
Marty
Marty marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
  • Mono no Aware
  • A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars (Special Double Release)
  • Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Grendel
  • The Barbie Murders
  • Enemy Mine
  • Shambleau
  • They're Made Out of Meat
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...