Start by marking “The Familiars #2: Secrets of the Crown” as Want to Read:
The Familiars #2: Secrets of the Crown
read excerpt* *Different edition

The Familiars #2: Secrets of the Crown (The Familiars #2)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,190 ratings  ·  112 reviews
Prepare for the unfamiliar

When every bit of human magic disappears suddenly from Vastia, it falls on the familiars—Aldwyn the telekinetic cat, Skylar the know-it-all blue jay, and Gilbert the gullible tree frog—to find the Crown of the Snow Leopard, an ancient relic that can reverse the curse. They learn that the only way to do this is by following in the paw prints of Ald...more
Published September 6th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Familiars #2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Familiars #2

Mary (BookHounds)
The story picks up four weeks after the Familiars leaves off. The Loyals and the Familiars are now being educated in magical defensive arts when there is a flash of green light disenchanting the human Loyals who lose their abilities to cast spells and which leaves the animals as the only magical creatures. As part of a prediction that the animal will now rule, the Familiars must now race to save the humans against the evil intentions of the queen's familiar, Paksahara who has tried to overthrow...more
Ticklish Owl
This series follows three magical animals on a quest, a Hermione-ish bluejay, an orphaned street cat, and a tree frog who is insecure about his magical talent. The writing is very good, given the target audience, as are the pacing and plot. The anthropomorphic characters, despite being a bit stereotypical, are well rounded; learning, growing, and building a closer friendship as they do so.

The 1st grade me would have adored this series. I read every fiction and non-fiction animal book in the scho...more
Brenda
Two years ago I read The Familiars. I was attracted to it because that year I had a reader of only cat books. Aldwyn, one of the Familiars, was a cat so I thought I’d give it a try. I did and it was great fun. The main characters are a stray cat, a red-eyed tree frog and a blue jay. I don’t think there could be a more unlikely trio and their distinct personality traits had me smiling all the way through.

When I saw The Familiars – Secrets of the Crown in the bookstore I knew I wanted to keep this...more
Lisa Ard
Once again the familiars are back! Aldwyn, Skylar and Gilbert, the animal familiars to three young wizards are out to save the world as they know it from the evil hare Paksahara, formerly familiar to Queen Loranella herself. Where book one explained wizards and familiars and the coming together of these three very different familiars, book two shows how the three familiars have bonded and become family.

At the end of Book One Paksahara reveals herself and then escapes, opening the way to the sequ...more
Brenda
Aug 25, 2011 Brenda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle graders who love animal stories and magic
Recommended to Brenda by: Goodreads First Read Giveaway
Many thanks to the publisher and Goodreads for this advanced reading copy of The Familiars: Secrets of the Crown. After having just completed an exciting quest to save their loyals from the evil queen of Vastia our second book takes up with the familiars and their loyals learning how to hone their magical abilities. Suddenly, the city is brought in peril due to the effects of a disenchantment spell and the roles of human and animal companions become reversed. Once again the familiars are called...more
Liza Wiemer
The familiars are back! Epstein and Jacobson have created a perfect series for middle grade readers with some of the best talking animals out in the world of imagination today. With situations connected to family, friendship, and loyalty, middle graders will definitely be able to relate. Filled with magic, adventure, and plenty of good versus evil, this novel will keep kids engaged.
The three chosen ones - Aldwyn (a telekinetic cat), Skylar (a brilliant, magical blue jay) and Gilbert (a funny tr...more
Kat Goldin
In this fun- filled, packed, book we revisit the life of magic thru animals and their relationships with humans. There is lots of warmth in this book and great, thrilling adventure, too. The entire book is appropriate for middle school students, although, I think 8th graders might seem it a bit elementary. The ending is easily predicted. The main characters are well developed and easy to identify with as they embark on a quest to find the source of human magic and return it to their village. We...more
Karolinde (Kari)
Secrets of the Crown is the second book in the Familiars series, the story of Aldwyn, Skylar, and Gilbert's quest to save their world and maybe find themselves. Paksahara casts a spell that takes away all human magic and the chosen three embark on a quest to stop her from unleashing her army of the dead. Along the way, we learn more about each character and what drives them. The best part of the book is when Gilbert finds his courage at long last.

Even more than the first book, it is easy to see...more
Lily
This is my favorite book in the Familiar series! The adventure is extremely intense and action packed like the first one, but bigger!

The characters are lovable like always. Gilbert made me laugh a lot of times in this book, especially when he annoys Skylar without meaning to! Those two are awesome together.

I must say that Aldwyn’s family history is very interesting, as we learn some shocking truths about Aldwyn’s father! I'm so happy that he's involved in this volume, but is he a good cat, or a...more
Kelsey Ketch
Secrets of the Crown didn't have the same magical draw as the first Familars. While a lot happens in the Secrets of the Crown, I felt the first book had more humor, more intrigue, and more surprises. However, I did enjoy the basic storyline as well as the clues and journey to the Crown.
Candy
I love this book sometimes fantasy can be complicated and boring but this was an light easy read. I even convinced my 10 year old son to give it a try and so far he likes it and he very picky about what he reads. Thank you goodreads for the giveaway.
Serena!
Non pensavo che questo secondo volume potesse piacermi quanto il primo.. Invece è delizioso!
Continua ad essere centrale l'amicizia tra i famigli (e i maghi a casa.. Olè! Mi piace questo cambio di prospettiva! :3) ed è tutto un susseguirsi di avventure e prove.. *_*
Certo, alcune cose sanno di già sentite (e sì, ogni tanto Harry Potter & Co si facevano prepotentemente strada nella mia mente), ma non temete.. Ci sarà tanto altro ad intrattenervi!!!

Una cosa che mi ha molto colpito è che pur esse...more
Korra
What an awesome sequel to the Familiars!

I loved this book!
I fell in love with the first one, and the second one was just as awesome!

I really liked the idea of animals being the heroes, and another aspect I appreciated in this book was that the animals - Aldwyn, Gilbert, and Skylar - remained the heroes of the story, unlike some others where slowly you start to lose the animal characters, and the human characters start becoming the main focus instead.

There were so many plot twists to this book;...more
Doris
This continuation of the story of 3 animal magician's assistants (familiars) is well written, wrapped around a nursery rhyme that animals and humans of their world learn early.

The main theme is that there is a familiar (a hare) who has decided to be more - she wants to rule everything. To stop her, we have three not so grandiose familiars - a young cat, a toad, and a jay. Together they travel in a quest to find a way to stop the horrors the hare from taking over.

It was well written, but just a...more
Alice
Jan 22, 2012 Alice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: gifts
another brilliant book in this series, cant wait for the 3rd one :)
Charlyn  Trussell
Oct 15, 2011 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 4 and up
Recommended to Charlyn by: the author
Gmr
First, I love how book two picks up right where book one leaves off leaving no unexplainable time gaps to try and figure out. If you decided to start with book two though, you wouldn’t be completely lost. There is enough information shared to bring you up to speed in order to follow along in the opening chapters, however the journey will feel more complete if one started at the beginning.

The familiars have secured their loyals once again…but Pakashara will have none of this chummy business. She...more
Sensitivemuse
I’m so glad this series just keeps getting better! I’ve really enjoyed the first one, but this one is even better!

It’s still an adventure, and it’s certainly more focused on Aldwyn and his friends. It’s certainly more focused on Aldwyn and his past, and provides a little more on the background information to make the world building more comprehensible and easy to picture.

I’m also glad to see Gilbert still hasn’t lost his touch on being the funny one of the group. I was also surprised that Skyla...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
The Familiars are back, and this time their adventures is even more exciting than the last. On a quest to restore the power of human magic, The Familiars set off to find the snow leopard's crown. Aldwyn, Skylar and Gilbert's unforgettable adventure is full of magic, danger, and has a few surprises a long the way for them. One of the things I love about this group is their friendships and bond. This time there's a stronger sense of family unity between them, especially for Aldwyn, who discovers s...more
Ella Jones
Secrets of the Crown
Adam Jay Epstein
930L
5 Stars

Yes I loved this book, one of my all time favorite series. I love the magic and adventure that is combined in this series. Every book there is a new quest that the familiars must undergo to save Vastia. There is also just the right hint of suspense.

My favorite part of the book was when they travel to the forest under the trees to find a howler monkey. Their journey going up through the canopies is very interesting. First the forest floor where every...more
Reading Vacation
Aldwyn, Skylar, and Gilbert are back together in Secrets of the Crown. Just when the familiars think their human loyals are safe, human magic fails. Once again, it is up this trio of animal familiars to save the day. Prepare to be familiarized!

There is only one way to restore the power of human magic and it involves finding the snow leopard’s crown. The familiars embark on a wild adventure in their search for the crown. They encounter many unusual people and animals during their quest. A trail o...more
Dolly
Apr 01, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is the second book in The Familiars series by Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson. Our oldest has really taken to this series and finished all three books (published so far) rather quickly.

I thought the story was dramatic and entertaining and we enjoyed talking about the human and animal characters. The story is full of drama, danger, wonder, and magic. The beginning was a bit abrupt, with little introduction, so this story really wouldn't stand alone - the first book really has to be rea...more
Radiolinablu
Ne parlo anche qui --> http://lafedelibrovora.blogspot.it/20...

Ho iniziato "The familiars" benché avessi già altri due libri in lettura, ma non riuscivo proprio a resistere alla tentazione di scoprire cos'altro avrebbero combinato i buffi animaletti protagonisti della storia. E' stato bello ritrovare tutti i personaggi del primo libro, in particolare Gilbert, la rana pasticciona, che mi ha strappato più di un sorriso per via della sua incorreggibile goffaggine e la sua divertente rassegnazion...more
lia
Another winner from Adam Jay Epstein!

Aldwyn, Skyler and Gilbert embark on another adventure. When cursed befallen Vastia and all humans are unable to cast magic, it is up to these three prophesied familiars to again save the day.

Paksahara, the grey hare witch, was planning to raised the army of the dead to. To avoid this, the familiars need to find the Snow Leopard crown to get to the moving castle.

In their journey, Aldwyn will found out the truth about his parents. By following the footstep...more
Elizabeth
The Familiars are back!
I actually liked this book better than the first one. This book really picks up speed and it shows the talents of the co-authors. (It is so cool that Adam and Andrew are able to write jointly--how do they do that?) I was really impressed with the vocabulary in this book. It was very rich and challenges the reader to think deeply.
The focus in this book was the familiars: Aldwyn (the cat), Skylar (the bluejay) and Gilbert (the frog). They are separated from their loyals (Ja...more
Barbara78e
Secondo volume della saga, è il classico romanzo di transizione. Alcuni aspetti dei personaggi vengono svelati, mentre la storia generale evolve nella minaccia di una guerra senza speranze.
I Famigli Aldwyn, Skylar e Gilbert partono alla ricerca della Corona del Leopardo Bianco, l'unico talismano che può fermare Paksahara da distruggere Vastia. Aiuti inaspettati, tradimenti, successi e delusioni costellano il loro tortuoso cammino.
A lettura terminata, avrei preferito che alcuni aspetti venissero...more
Amanda
I liked this book a little better than the first one in the series. But my son, who is a third grader and probably closer to the target audience, thought it was "awesome." I might be remembering wrong since it's been over a year since I read the first one, but it seemed that one took a long time to get started and dragged a bit here and there. Whereas in this second book, the authors immediately sent the trio off on their quest and they kept things moving right along. I believe Gilbert's comic r...more
Heather
I didn't think this one was quite as strong as the first, particularly in the writing, which felt a bit choppy and simplified. However, I have no doubt that most kids will highly enjoy the series and fans of the first book will not be disappointed.

One thing I didn't like (and this is a minor detail, mind you!) was the illustration of Paksahara. She did not look fierce or frightening. She almost bordered on cute. (It was like when Yzma (Emperor's New Groove) turns into that awfully cute cat - "Is...more
Jay
With three entertaining (and magical) animal characters, plus a whole lot of adventure, mystery, and suspence, this is a fun book to read. Gilbert is as entertaining as he was in the first book in this series, but now other characters get flashes of silliness as well. The quest, and how they find their way, is really interesting. This would make a great book to read aloud.

Like a standard "2nd book in a trilogy" there are many hints of things to come in the concluding book and there is the ending...more
Michelle E. Kobus ♡ HAPPY HALLOWEEN! ♥
Rounded up from the actual rating of 4.25*.

Mild book #1 spoilers.

I liked this book a lot. I thought it was just a tiny bit less good than book #1. In this book, the Familiars were really only ever in danger when they knowingly walked into it; they knew who who the villian was at this point, and who the traitor was before they struck; they figured out the mission pretty quickly, too. In the first book, Grimslade showed up at various points, making danger for the Familiars besides the danger alrea...more
Please help 3 8 Jan 31, 2014 02:03AM
  • The Lost Heir (Wings of Fire, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere, #3)
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • Fibble: The Fourth Circle of Heck
  • The Secret Zoo (The Secret Zoo, #1)
  • Mousenet
  • A True Princess
  • Crookedstar's Promise (Warriors Super Edition)
  • Urchin and the Rage Tide (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #5)
  • Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg, #4-6)
  • Island of Silence (Unwanteds, #2)
  • The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale
  • Smells Like Treasure
  • Revenge of the Horned Bunnies (Dragonbreath, #6)
I grew up in Great Neck, NY loving all things fantasy and science fiction - from Dungeons and Dragons and the Legend of Zelda to Star Wars and Dr. Strange. I created and imagined new worlds and stories from an early age but never knew that I had the talent to be a writer until seventh grade, when my English teacher assigned our class to write the first ten pages of a sequel to The Good Earth. Afte...more
More about Adam Jay Epstein...
The Familiars (The Familiars, #1) Circle of Heroes (The Familiars, #3) Palace of Dreams Starbounders The Familiars #4: Palace of Dreams