Start by marking “Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity” as Want to Read:

Jhana is a powerful meditative technique that opens the way to unfettered joy, radiant calm, and abiding happiness. Focused and Fearless presents this ancient meditative tradition as interpreted through the practice of a contemporary American teacher, and as such, it represents a landmark shift in Theravadan Buddhism by bringing jhana into the reach of busy practitioners. ...more
Published May 10th 2008 by Wisdom Publications (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Focused and Fearless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Focused and Fearless

Steve
May 17, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about states of mind called "The Jhanas" in Buddhist meditation. The jhanas are states of intense concentration. Shalia Catherine describes each of these mental states and suggests exercises that will eventually help in achieving these states.

Though many techniques exist for achieving the jhanas Catherine sticks to using meditation on breathing. This technique will be familiar to people who are interested in "insight meditation". The meditation technique in the book is pretty much
Ulf Wolf
Jun 03, 2015 Ulf Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After encountering Buddhism tangentially in the 1960s, I have now been a practicing Buddhist for the last eight or so years, focusing on the Theravada tradition and on Ānāpānasati practice.

I am also studying Wisdom Publication’s now excellent translations of the Pali Canon where the Jhānas are mentioned if not in every Sutta, then in every other one. They are, to put it mildly, firmly part of the Theravada Path.

That said, I have read just about everything I can lay my hands on concerning the Jhā
Dor
Feb 14, 2016 Dor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this as an email to Shaila, and I believe it fits here as a review as well as that it may help others discover the qualities this book has to offer.

***

Dear Shaila,

I’m writing to express my appreciation of, and gratitude for, your book.

I’ve now read it cover to cover along with a re-read of a few select sections over a period of a month and through two (short, weekend) retreats.
It was a treat to practice alongside with, elucidating many aspects of both Samadhi and Vipassana. Generally, I
Ulf Wolf
Jun 03, 2015 Ulf Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Shinta
Mar 11, 2015 Shinta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A handbook to keep and re-read as your practice continues. Both samatha and vipassana are wings you should develop together to fly to the other shore. The practice is full of ups and downs. Next time I go to a meditation retreat I will try one of her practical tips; develop insight every time you come out of deep concentration. Don't wait for the higher attainments to start gaining insight.

Very humorous and human. I laughed a lot enjoying the personal stories and anecdotes between the serious st
Juergen
Jan 12, 2014 Juergen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of Buddhist concentration practices, in particular the deep absorptive states known as "jhanas." This book does a good job describing the jhanic factors, the states that precede absorption as well as technical descriptions of the first four "rupa" or "material" jhanas, as well as the latter four "arupa" or "non-material" forms. Catherine also gives good exercises and explications from the suttas to help guide the reader through the technical territory.
Amy Karon
Aug 28, 2013 Amy Karon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book on concentration meditation. Practices are clearly explained and placed in context. Catherine's writing ability and depth and breadth of knowledge are outstanding, far beyond that of most authors in this genre. These practices help me work more effectively and feel calmer, more focused, and more able to accept and respond to the ups and downs of being a freelance medical writer. -- Amy Karon, Karon Medical Writing, LLC
Tomas Likar
Jan 05, 2016 Tomas Likar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You want to sit and meditate? Don't read this book then, just sit and meditate. But later when you feel like doing something else, you might want to read this book. Priceless when accompanied with practice, arid and empty without it.
Cole Tucker
Cole Tucker rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Lanusse
Lanusse rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Egor Azanov
Egor Azanov rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Eastern UK
Eastern UK rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Roscoe Brooks
Roscoe Brooks rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Secret Gril
Secret Gril rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Reem
Reem rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Michael Dean White
Michael Dean White rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Michael Kich
Michael Kich rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Yves
Yves rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2013
Christopher DeGraffenreid
Christopher DeGraffenreid rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Catherine Brousseau
Catherine Brousseau rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Anh Nguyen
Anh Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2011
Ankita Arora
Ankita Arora rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Ema Jones
Ema Jones rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2017
KEVIN ROMERO
KEVIN ROMERO rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
krista
krista rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • Living Dharma: Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Masters
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
Shaila Catherine has been practicing meditation since 1980, with more than eight years of accumulated silent retreat experience. She has taught since 1996 in the USA, and internationally. Shaila has dedicated several years to studying with masters in India, Nepal and Thailand, completed a one year intensive meditation retreat with the focus on concentration and jhana. She has extensive experience ...more
More about Shaila Catherine...

“There are two kinds of happiness; the kind to be pursued and the kind to be avoided,” the Buddha said.“When I observed that in the pursuit of such happiness, unwholesome factors increased and wholesome factors decreased, then that happiness was to be avoided. When I observed that in the pursuit of such happiness unwholesome factors decreased and wholesome ones increased, then that happiness was to be sought after.”7 The Buddha asks us: What pursuits lead to wholesome forces developing? And what pursuits lead to unwholesome forces thriving? The Buddha was a proponent of an efficient, long-term, sustainable approach to happiness, never settling for resigned acceptance of limited conventional comforts.” 1 likes
“You can save yourself a lot of anguish by investigating your response to the fundamental qualities of pleasure and pain. If you are unmindful of a pleasant feeling, the underlying tendency to greed gets activated. If you are unmindful of an unpleasant feeling, the underlying tendency to aversion gets activated. If you are unmindful of a neutral feeling, the underlying tendency to delusion gets activated.11 People commonly try to increase the pleasant, react against the unpleasant, and are dulled, confused, or inattentive to the neutral feelings. A skillful meditator will develop the flexibility to direct awareness to these subtler layers of experience and investigate the interaction of pleasure and greed, pain and aversion, neutrality and delusion.” 1 likes