Start by marking “Cassandra: The Definitive Guide” as Want to Read:
Cassandra: The Definitive Guide

Cassandra: The Definitive Guide

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  13 reviews
What could you do with data if scalability wasn't a problem? With this hands-on guide, you'll learn how Apache Cassandra handles hundreds of terabytes of data while remaining highly available across multiple data centers -- capabilities that have attracted Facebook, Twitter, and other data-intensive companies. "Cassandra: The Definitive Guide" provides the technical detail ...more
Published November 12th 2010 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Cassandra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cassandra

Mitchell
As far as I can tell this is the best book on Cassandra for the unfortunate reason that it is the only book on Cassandra. It's not horribly bad. The Table of Contents and index are accurate. The chapters are written in fairly decent English. And the content is not inaccurate. But it could have been lots better. Ah well, there's always the source code.
Vince
My background is predominantly in RDBMS. I think a bit more discussion and examples of data modeling would have been helpful. Otherwise pretty informative.
Jascha
If we were in 2010 then I would be here singing the praises of Cassandra: The Definitive Guide. Unfortunately, five years have passed since it has hit the shelves and while the book still provides some interesting insights about Cassandra, it definitely suffers its age. At the time of printing, version 0.7 was about to get released. As we speak, Cassandra reached version 2.1.2.

With this being said, a warning: to get the most out of this title, the reader must have a good grasp of both Java (all
Glenn
Kind of dated by today's standards but a good introduction to this NoSql database technology for those completely new to it. Covered many aspects of Cassandra at that time including how to access patterns, metrics, client APIs for accessing it, and Hadoop integration. The author presented a sample application as both use case and illustrative example.
Ivan
As with all books on techy stuff it's better to complement the read by following the links(btw, which the book has plenty of), searching for terms, war stories and so on. The book is a great one to start from although sometimes I don't agree with the perspective chosen(e.g. Thrift API examples). It's also hard to maintain the thing fresh with regards to continously growing framework - not sure if the problem could be easily solved at all: the book has no info on some features, like counters. And ...more
Aaron
too dated--switched to 'practical cassandra' and the docs on the datastax website
Konstantin Root
Very good book describing Cassandra internals and API.

Pros:
- Well written
- Covers many areas

Cons:
- Quickly outdated, since was based on 0.6.x version. Now we are @ 0.8.x version and many areas are now heavily modified
- You will have trouble running part of examples from it even on 0.7.x release due to API changes
- Could have covered advanced topics like internal structures, bloom filters, compaction and cloud tuning in more details
Alpha
Chapter 3. The Cassandra Data Model is a good description of the Cassandra, uh, data model, and compares it to a relational database. The star of Ch 4, takes a hotel reservation app and relational model and converts it into the Cassandra way... Followed by pages of Thrift code. ugh.

It's a good primer, but the Cassandra code-base moves very quickly, so reader beware.
Venkatesh-Prasad
I am not sure if the book makes it hard to understand the concepts of column family and super column family or are the concepts just that hard. I think it would have been helpful if the author had compared Cassandra to a doc-oriented DB. From the point of view of schema-less DB, the book does not help appreciate the benefits of Cassandra over CouchDB or MongoDB.
Hector
A great way to get up to speed on Cassandra. Will not get you out of subscribing to the mailing list for post 0.7.3 features.
Alex Ott
This book provides pretty accurate description of Cassandra, in using internals, maintenance, programming, etc.
Hussein
I stopped reading it. Extremely out of date, some chapters still useful.
Roman Belous
Jul 25, 2013 Roman Belous is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Quite obsolete, documentation style book with no excitement.
Jonathan Thoms
Jonathan Thoms marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Carlos Bejarano
Carlos Bejarano marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Steve Hager
Steve Hager marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Triveni
Triveni marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Welly Tambunan
Welly Tambunan is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Daniel Compton
Daniel Compton is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Giorgenes Gelatti
Giorgenes Gelatti is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2014
Padma Krishnan
Padma Krishnan marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Java SOA Cookbook Core ColdFusion 5 (With CD-ROM) Java Garage Java Soa Cookbook SOA Strategy and Execution