101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire

101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  70 reviews
There aren't many resources for humans running with the "undead" - until now. Featuring 101 tips for everything from boat travel to the classic Road trip. Sometimes funny and sometimes serious, these tips will prepare you for a vampire vacation. The revamped version includes a sneak peek of "Ashes of Deceit", book 4 in the Amaranthine series and a sample of Shades of Plaid...more
Published April 30th 2010 by Naylor, Joleene (first published April 26th 2010)

Mortal Bite by Sharon  HamiltonShadow Love by Claudy ConnHoneymoon Bite by Sharon  HamiltonHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Best Vampire Series Adult or YA
96th out of 249 books — 162 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisInterview With The Vampire by Anne RiceMarked by P.C. CastNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
All-time Vampire Books
93rd out of 110 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Ok yes, this was incredibly short and some of the "tips" were more common sense when travelling in general but there were a few that were pretty funny. I even laughed out loud on a couple....like making the joke to you vampire friend that rabbits are "fast food" and that they just might not find this joke funny. Sorry I did find that funny.

Anyways it was free and I'd recommend the short book to anyone hooked on the vampire craze at the moment, just because if you are reading the novels chances a...more
Kayla Eklund
This book, for me, was highly disappointing. I was expecting so much more. The author tries to be funny, but fails at it. A lot of the book is very cliche and cheesey. Most of the tips were things that you would do with anyone, not just a vampire. Also, most of the tips are common sense things that you do while traveling. The character is never explained in the book, or given any background. In the introduction, her thoughts and sentences are very sloppy and flighty. Instead of explaining why sh...more
Katy
Jan 28, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
I don't remember how, when, or why I downloaded this hilarious book. I have a copy for both my Nook and my Kindle, so I suppose it was free on Smashwords and Amazon, which it still currently is. All I know is I laughed my head off all the way through it. If you like vampires, enjoy urban fantasy stories featuring vampires and/or have read any of Joleene Naylor's boks, you will want to grab a copy of this, if you haven't already.

Hilarious .
Nyssa
Forced, sophomoric, cliched and unfunny, reading 10 pages felt like a total waste of my time. The introduction itself should have been a warning, but I was hoping the tips themselves would at least be entertaining.... They weren't.
Nicole
Mar 31, 2011 Nicole rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: ebook
I figured this would be like a funny list. But most of it was stuff you would do no matter who you was traveling with.
Shadarus Semloue
The title is rather self-explanatory so I'll just leave you with a handful of personal favorites:

9. Depending on the season, you might be able to save money by camping, though it’s pretty hard to get a coffin in a tent.

28. If your luggage starts to smell a bit “blah”, you can freshen it up by dropping a dryer sheet into the bottom of your bag. Do not try to “freshen up” your vampire friend by dropping one into his coffin. He won’t think it’s funny.

39. You may be desperate for entertainment, and...more
Dear Velvet
Essentials for the Vampire Paramour..

Yes, I know, not all of us have Vampire Lovers, illicit or otherwise.

But some of us do.
I'm naming no names, Bel.. oh, my bad. Ahem, well, there are certain of us who need to travel, or maybe even go on the run with a hunky Vamp or hot Vampess. And that could lead to.. difficulties.

Can you take that gorgeous bod as a carry-on? Just how warm should the boudoir be...how much does your cool one eat, and do you need to provide the meal yourself(!) And for the gree...more
Dawn
This was a cool read. It was also extremely quick. I'm thrilled with both. The book focuses more toward the type of vampires I grew up loving my entire life. It's about time I found another author who went old school yet modernized it trying to make vampires closer to reality than in the past. I couldn't help but imagine myself actually traveling with one and it all seem very much needed information on the topic. Going to read books of this author now!
Kate
I made the decision to download and read this book because it sounded funny, and it did not disappoint! There are, as the title suggests, 101 tips for traveling with a vampire. These tips are often aimed at the human who must help a vampire travel, because according to the author, sometimes being a vampire means you have to travel quite a bit. And since vampires can only travel at night or in dark places, and they need to feed or drink blood on a regular basis, well.. as the human companion trav...more
Sharon
What a riot this little piece was. I only got it cause it had a sneak preview of the second book in Naylor's Amaranthine series, "Legacy of Ghosts" The first book is "Shades of Gray" and I need to review that one cause...well, I guess I should save it for the review. Back to point, I bought "101 Tips.." for the sneak peek, but the 101 tips are pretty damn funny. You really need to read "Shades of Gray to appreciate the tips, but I must say tip #28 gave me the giggles . And the best thing is the...more
Greydrakkon
An amusing little offshoot of what I'm guessing is the author's main series. I was travelling when I read this which worked quite well since it's easy to stop and start again. It gave me an idea of the author's humor and writing style without dragging things out. I'll probably look up her other stuff based on what I've read here.
Crystal Peterson
Tricia Drammeh
This is a short, fun companion book to the Amaranthine series. It's definitely one to read AFTER you take a bite out of the first three or four books in the series.
Danielle Klassen
This was a cute little collection but I felt like it could have benefited from anecdotes or other little tidbits to add to the overall tips. There's no reason a collection like this couldn't have a great little design but that doesn't translate as well over e-books. I would love to see it in print and see what a good designer would do with it with a little bit of extras added. Otherwise, what is there is funny enough sometimes but because there's not really a story there, it really is just readi...more
Maegan Provan
This was a fun little side story with tips on traveling with a vampire. It was quirky and a great quick read
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
This is just like the title says, a list of tips for traveling...in some cases with your vampire. Some are common sense for normal traveling because things like "don't drink the water" rarely have anything to do with the immortal undead. There are some points in this that made me smile though and there were some valid points as well when it comes to vampires. There are also a few jokes thrown in that are a bit funny. Though overall it was kind of a dull and quick read. It seems to be tied in wit...more
Katherine
Ok, when you just need a good laugh while reading, this was great! yes, most of it IS commen sense, but some of the kickers had me laughing out loud, that rabbits are fast food just sent me over giggling and my kids and family looking at me! Short it may be but it perfect to break up the current book I am reading for alittle laughter. Author also included 25 more tips for living with a vampire and a short story after.
Very good, I will have to look up more to finish the short story that was incl...more
Olethros
-Silba el viento y ruedan las barrillas.-

Género. Relato.

Lo que nos cuenta. La joven Katelina, que sale y vive con el vampiro Jorick, comparte con el lector 101 consejos prácticos basados en su experiencia que seguramente sean muy útiles en el improbable caso de que usted viaje con un vampiro y que supuestamente entronca con la serie Amaranthine de Naylor.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Amanda
I have not read anything by this author before, but her wit and sarcastic nature intrigue me. This book wouldn't be for just anyone. If you enjoy vampire anything this is worth the quick read. The only thing that may offend your vampire senses is that the author uses her own pretenses for what vampires are or aren't.
If you don't know how to answer the question: How does a vampire board a cruise ship in the daytime? well then, you need this book.
Pamela (slytherpuff)
May 12, 2012 Pamela (slytherpuff) rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Not even my worst enemy
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

Thank goodness I didn't pay for this book. Even so, it was a complete waste of my time. I didn't expect anything spectacular, but I also didn't expect this drivel. The protagonist sounds like she's in high school (is the author?) rather than approaching 30. The tips were generic and humorless. It's just too bad I couldn't give this zero stars.
Becky Fisk
I downloaded this book as a free B-Book thinking that it would be mildly entertaining. A short story it is but it really made me laugh. After the travel tips, then the bonus tips I had to go and get book one, Shades of Gray in the Amaranthine series. This much cheese, wit, humor in such a short snipit and I had to know what exactly what kinds of adventures Katelina and her vamp experience.
Cathy
Free short story.
Exactly what the title implies - tips for traveling with your vampire lover. What to pack, motel etiquette, and whether or not to go by car, boat, train or air.
I was going to say this was "mildly amusing" but since I chuckled at, maybe, 4 of the tips (actually 126 if you add the 25 on basic "living with your vampire") I decided I really can not say it was worth the time.
Melanie
I read a review where one person said you needed to read the series to appreciate the tips. I don't really think that is necessary. I've read the Twilight series, True Blood series, and Interview with a Vampire. I thought it was a couple book with a couple of subtile digs at Twilight. I enjoyed it enought to buy the first book of the series to see how well I like it.
Michelle
If only there were an option for no stars. Thank goodness this book was free, otherwise it would have been the biggest waste of money ever. I read it in about 30 minutes on a plane looking for a good laugh, but all I found was common knowledge traveling information with the word "blood", "vampire" or "coffin" randomly thrown in. Not worth the time to even pick it up.
Ali
this was a very quick read that i downloaded to take my mind off things while my husband was in surgery. it didnt disapoint. i found myself getting strange looks from others in the waiting room as a snickered at some of the pointers on the list. if you are looking for a quick read that will make smile this is the book for you.
D.M.
101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire was a funny and very quick read. I absolutely loved it. Joleene Naylor lists tips and short explantions on the reason for the tip. She had me laughing through each tip. This is a great book to have on hand, especially if you have a short reading time and want to read something light and funny.
Phantasmagoria
Just disappointing. A few cute lines, but I was hoping for more.

I'm a member of a private goth club (members only) and was hoping this book would make a good gift for my fellow lovers-of-the-night, but no. It just feels really mainstream and only touching the surface of where it could have gone. Good idea, but didn't deliver.
Jeni
A light hearted list of good points for whenvtraveling with your ubdead nearest and dearest.

The language is simplistic and the style is very casual which together make it very childish. These things are ok for a short list book, but could become tiresome in a lengthy book.

All in all a quick, smile enducing read
Alex Taylor
I loved this book! It was a quick read and really made me laugh. These travel tips are definitely geared towards more "traditional" vampires who aren't able to go out in the sun, so if your pet vampire is more modern, you may have to make a few adjustments, since packing a coffin might not be necessary.
Erin (Paperback Stash)
Cute book divided into sections. Some of its naturally funnier than others, but as a sum, adorable. There were perhaps five I'd laugh out loud at, and twenty more I'd grin at, while another twenty would ink out a small smile. Clever idea that was obviously fun to construct, but even funner to read.
  • Unlucky In Death
  • Monster in the Mirror - A Short Story
  • The Hunger
  • A Turn of Curses
  • Valle (Heku #2)
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • Ghostly Awakening
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Ashes
  • Just One Taste (The V V Inn, #0.5)
  • Amber Moon (Moon Trilogy, #2)
  • Zombie Nights
  • Graveyard Games
  • Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery  (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #1)
  • Vampires in Devil Town (Vampires in Devil Town, #1)
  • Matchmakers 2.0 (Novel Nibbles)
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)
Joleene Naylor grew up in southwest Iowa surrounded by corn and very little entertainment – so she made her own. She’s been writing and drawing since she was a child, with a leaning towards fantasy, horror and paranormal. It’s this love of all that goes bump in the night that lead her to write the Amaranthine vampire series. In her spare time she’s a freelance artist and photographer. Joleene does...more
More about Joleene Naylor...
Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1) Adam (Vampire Morsels) Legacy of Ghosts (Amaranthine, #2) Alexander (Vampire Morsels) Arowenia (Vampire Morsels)