Start by marking “Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910” as Want to Read:
Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910

Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In the winter of 1910, the river that brought life toParis quickly became a force of destruction. Torrential rainfall saturated the soil, and faulty engineering created a perfect storm of conditions that soon drowned Parisian streets, homes, businesses, and museums.Thecityseemed to have lost its battle with the elements. Given the Parisians’ history of deep-seated social, ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade

To ask other readers questions about Paris Under Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paris Under Water

Karen!
I love the idea of reading about history. Typically, I hate reading historically accurate books. They are just so. Dry. It is painful, really. And, if they are not painfully dry, I start to question their accuracy...and the author's intellect. This is not one of those books. I loved it. I feel so informed now!

I had no idea that Paris flooded regularly. It makes perfect sense, considering the water level and elevation in question, I just never thought about it. Imagine my intrigue, then, when I f
Suzanne
This is a well-researched and very readable account of the catastrophic flood in Paris in 1910. It takes the reader through the day-by-day escalation of the waters of the Seine and the resulting destruction throughout Paris and surrounding towns. It explains how the sewers and underground train tunnels brought the flood further inland than it could have gone on its own. The main story, though, is how the Parisians, overall, pulled together to get through the disaster. Photos of the flooding are ...more
Autumn
I had no idea this event had happened—and apparently, it was news to the author, too, until 2005 while he was on a tour of the Paris sewers and saw photographs depicting the flood of 1910. Clearly-written and well-detailed account of how Parisians responded to the rising of the Seine that, from Jan. 21–28 of 1910, was higher than it had been in over 250 years. It's almost eerie to see the familiar landmarks surrounded by water, and you feel the frantic desperation of the people as you realize th ...more
Lisa
I don’t know what possessed me to borrow this book from the library! If I wanted to read about natural disasters all I had to do was read the news: this is a week when Super Typhoon Hagupit displaced thousands of people in a mass evacuation and Brisbane is cleaning up after a super cell storm caused a damage bill of over $800 million, reviving memories of the 2011 floods when the Brisbane River burst its banks. Given that there are dozens of major cities around the world that are built on rivers ...more
John Weibull
This book was hard to put down. Mr. Jackson gives us a thoroughly researched book filled with fascinating anecdotes and tales of bravery under extreme circumstances. During the 1910 flooding the government of Paris responded quickly and efficiently to the crisis, managing to keep a horrific disaster from getting out of control, all without resorting to a declaration of martial law.
Simone

Fascinating book. Also really well-paced throughly researched affair. The whole thing starts out with factors leading to the flood, and it reads just like a disaster movie where they establish exactly where everyone is and what they are doing as you know full well that disaster is going to strike. I only wish I had actually been to Paris before reading this, because I think it would make some of the geography he talks about more effective. But I had the general idea from pictures placed througho
Diane Cadei
What a fascination story.
Rachel
A very thorough account of the flood and its effects on Paris. It was occasionally a little repetitive with information from various angles, but Jackson included some great historical context and some really good firsthand information. I wish there'd been more photos!
Margaret Sankey
In January, 1910, torrential rains sent a flood of Seine water through Paris, including the newly-built sewer and Metro underground systems. For an urban population already dislocated by Hausmann's city reconstruction and profoundly distrustful of the police, Catholic Church, city and national government and the army, relief efforts and the social upheaval intrinsic to natural disaster reveal the fault lines of Belle Epoque France.
Nancy
Reading this book hard on the heels of the destruction wrought by Hurrican Sandy was very illuminating. The "great flood" of Paris (shortly before the outbreak of WWI) had many reprecussions for that city and the nation. Even that long ago there was talk about how the destruction of the environment could have led to the disaster of 1910. A well researched, well written study of an important event in Paris' history.
CJ
This book was well-written and extremely informative, but also extremely dry. The author went for a tone more academic than personal, and while I appreciate his dedication to facts (and also understand that there were not many existing accounts from ordinary Parisians of this time) I could have used a little more narrative flow. However, this is still an excellent piece of work, and a great addition to my disaster shelf!
Charles
I've studied Paris history for a while and until I heard about this book I never knew that Paris was inundated in January 1910. I enjoy books of this type because they bring together the social, cultural and political aspects of the time and weave them into a narrative that makes you feel you're right in Paris at the time of the flood.
Rosie Beck
A fascinating book on the flood in Paris in the winter of 1910. Days of rain and supersaturated soil caused the Seine to overflow by miles in each direction. The city leaders and the disparate-class, religion, wealth-Parisians rise to confront this assault on their beloved city. Wonderful.
Lisa
While this book started out very well, it went on for far too long. It kept on trying to indicate that things were actually worse than they were. It's certainly worth skimming but don't feel bad if you don't finish it.
Gabrielle
Interesting read. Having worked on the Ile St-Germain in Issy-Les-Moulineaux, in a building right on the Seine where I watched the river flow fast and high in a normal winter, I could easily imagine the destruction there.
Andrea Montan
This history book reads more like a novel because the author infuses personal stories with actual events. It is not just about the flood of 1910, but has commentary about other facets of French history and culture.
Debbie
Very well written and easy to read acount of the Paris flood in 1910. My only suggestion would have been to have included better maps of the Seine and Paris, as well as the surrounding areas.
Ben
I didn't love this book. I think it's hard to write a book about a flood though. The water rises. It rises some more. After that, it rises some more. It wasn't a bad book, it just didn't thrill me.
Tiffany
True, sometimes I thought to myself "does this topic really need a whole book?" but for people who love Paris and/or natural disasters, the answer is probably yes.
Teresa
As a relative of survivors of the Galveston storm of 1900, I was intetrsted in the similarities of actions and reactions of the population between the two disasters.
Mary
The atmosphere, history, and tension in this book have stayed with me long after I finished it. I really loved it and can't manage to move it off my bedside table.
Diana
Well-researched, reasonably compelling description of the devastating 1910 flood in Paris.
Teree
Sep 24, 2009 Teree marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have a review copy. It comes out next year, so I have plenty of time to see how good it is.
Kimberly
Not so riveting as one would think.
Morgan Dreiss
Morgan Dreiss marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Wyatt
Wyatt marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Booklovers Melbourne
Booklovers Melbourne marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
  • For the Soul of France: Culture Wars in the Age of Dreyfus
  • And the Show Went On: Cultural Life in Nazi-Occupied Paris
  • Paris: The Secret History
  • Paris: After the Liberation 1944-1949
  • Seven Ages of Paris
  • Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France
  • Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation: A History of Literary Paris in the Twenties and Thirties
  • Eiffel's Tower: And the World's Fair Where Buffalo Bill Beguiled Paris, the Artists Quarreled, and Thomas Edison Became a Count
  • Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light
  • Metro Stop Paris: An Underground History of the City of Light
  • When the World Spoke French
  • Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris
  • Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends
  • Paris to the Past: Traveling through French History by Train
  • Paris: The Biography of a City
  • The Courtiers: Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace
  • Paris Noir: African-Americans in the City of Light
  • The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris
Making Jazz French: Music and Modern Life in Interwar Paris Music and History: Bridging the Disciplines Making Jazz French: Music and Modern Life in Interwar Paris Island of Paradise and Hell