The Modern Girl's Guide to Life

The Modern Girl's Guide to Life

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  936 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A stylishly smart collection of practical advice for the busy modern woman

With information on entertaining, etiquette, housekeeping, basic home repair, decorating, sex, and beauty, this indispensable book has everything today's young woman should know-but may not! The Modern Girl's Guide to Life is a collection of all the helpful tips and secrets that get passed on from ge...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

Lindsey
Jul 20, 2007 Lindsey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Girls
Shelves: musthaves
Do you know what wine goes with Steak? Or how to get a stain out of a carpet? Do you know how to host a dinner party or what cleaning supplies to use on different areas of your apartment?

This book has ALL the answers. It is like the Bible of "How to's" for the modern girl just out of college.

As a recent graduate of college and a amateur member of the real world, this book has saved me many times and I love to give it to my friends as presents.

I think this book is a must have for all girls!
Sara
I find myself buying this book often for high school and college graduates. It tackles so many real life problems, gives easy recipes for party planning and just, generally, has great tips for how to navigate the "real world" as a woman. I find it incredibly fascinating that so many women don't know how to do simple things such as their laundry but this book helps to navigate those waters. If you know a young girl who's about to enter adulthood this is a great book for her!
Aiyaruk
Nov 05, 2007 Aiyaruk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women!
Shelves: read-nonfiction
When this book first came out, I thought it would merely be a fun read. Boy was I wrong! I don't think I've ever really sat down to read this book for fun, and yet I've read a great deal of it. Why? Because it's actually come in EXTREMELY useful in every single aspect of my life! I'll never let go of this tome of information. The author did a fantastic job!
Mary
This book was very informative. It put my mind at ease and it felt like someone was literally walking with me and helping me out. I gave it a four because very few things were inaccurate. I would still recommend this book to girls out there.
ashley
a wonderful gift to any girl about to start on her own. excellent little guide for the freshman we all were once.
Callie
Every woman should own this book.
Bubbles
I picked this book up because I thought it would be a quick, fun read, and maybe it would teach me some of the more girly facts of life that I've been missing out on just trying to be myself. Like, I've never been thrilled with makeup and couldn't tell you the correct order to put on powder and concealer. For the record, I still don't know, this book didn't cover that.

The first half of the book was interesting. After that, well I found it was becoming more and more of a chore to read. The first...more
Stephanie
This is a must have in every modern girl's library. It actually should be called Modern's Girl's BIBLE because you'll refer to it religiously.

Packed with tons of information from, Things You Need in Your Kitchen to How to Change a Tire in Stilettos, this book has educated me in more ways than one. It's filled with information on entertaining, etiquette, housekeeping, basic home repair, decorating, sex and beauty. Jane Buckingham's tips are so helpful that I wish I could carry this book with me...more
Leah Hess
This was a fun, quick read. Some things covered were new to me, where others seemed like flat-out common sense. My largest criticism is that it isn't really written for a "normal" young adult. For example: the recipes she gives readers have weird French words I've never even heard of. It's unlikely my local grocer would carry them, nor would I even know where to look. I also felt many of the products boosted were not within the realistic budget of a young adult.

With that said, I do believe Jane...more
Amy
I wrote a blog post about this and Three Black Skirts : All You Need To Survive that pretty much sums up my overall feelings about this book. There are some very helpful tips and tricks in this book: the last chapter discusses everything from smart investing to how to fix a leak to how to defend yourself from an attacker. Overall, though I'm a little confused as to whether I'm supposed to just be a bad-ass Modern Girl or just pretend to be one until some hulking man can save me from myself so I...more
Renni
Sep 28, 2009 Renni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Woman fresh out from University
The girl's bible about how to's.

Taken from Lindsey (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/20...)

Marissa Garcia
There are better quality girl guides out there.
Taymara Jagmohan
The Modern Girl's Guide of Life is indeed an inspirational guide to all home-care.
It teaches you the techniques of ironing, whisking an egg, laundry sorting and all the tid-bits of a new beginning. I didn't seem to be too indulgent with the lines, but it was quite helpful.
I couldn't finish it however, because once it gets vapid I just cut out from the labyrinth.
However, Jane Buckingham, excellent work. It helps us. It does-
I just wasn't ready for a book that teaches me to launder and cook. No...more
Lindsey Lewandowski
Helpful, humorous, with section titles like "Aggh! What's That Crawling Across the Floor?"; "The Simplest Chicken Breast Recipe Ever"; "Jump-Starting Your Car"; and "Tipping at Restaurants".
Elyse
Dec 05, 2007 Elyse rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls (and a few guys) who could use a helping hand
The Modern Girl's Guide to Life is not just a title - it's the perfect description. It's a practical book, filled with good advice, tips, and tricks. Sure, it doesn't cover everything, but show me a book that does. Even the dictionary is missing a few choice words (truthiness not being one of them; thank you, Stephen Colbert!). However, what it does have covers a great deal of the basics and a few complexities of life.
Soapykitty
I saw this book years ago at Target when I was a little kid and liked the cover.The "How to Change a Tire in Stilletos" has always stuck with me and I always wondered what the title of this book was.So I was super excited to find a copy of it in a used book store.
It's not a bad book but I was disappointed in it because you could easily find most of the information in the book online.
Cameron
Awesome reference guide. This thing covers everything from how to give a great dinner party to how to do your resume to what the difference is between permanent press and regular wash on your washing machine to the 10 basic items to have in your wardrobe. If I ever have a daughter, I'm buying it for her for her 18th birthday and for all her friends.
Claire
The best one of these "21st century chick guides to everything under the sun" I've read (and yes, I admit I've read a few). Her advice never veers on the ridiculous or silly. And the way she approaches finances (which are as opaque to me as the rules of football) is excellent--very well explained. You genuinely feel as though she's rooting for you.
Stephanie
I like this one a lot. Reading lifestyle guides has been one of my guilty pleasures and this is really complete and nicely written.

The only flaw of this book is that sometimes it drifts too much into the girly lookism side. And that it automatically assumes that you're heterosexual (not every modern girl cares about a whole chapter about "their man").
caroline
meh. decided to borrow this from the library after seeing the title. i don't know what i expected. it's pretty much like a cliff notes to all different types of subject. i guess it's good for like a college student, but i would rather get my cooking info from someone else, decorating tips from another, etc..
Cheryl Villars
This book is great! It would make the perfect gift for a young lady who is headed off to college and/or moving out on their own for the first time. It is very cute and has great tips for someone who doesn't have much domestic practice. I still keep mine and refer to it now and then. Love it!
Ashleigh
I received this book as a gift and initially wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I was wrong. I pretty much read it from cover to cover. It has some really great tips in it, from making the perfect martini to changing a tire...you never know when it might come in handy.
Shalma M
If you have internet access, save yourself the $25. You can find nearly all of this information in a more concise format on the web, and you can probably find it without the mostly sexist, racist, and downright ignorant commentary.
Paula Kolocotronis
love it love it love it. I would buy this for all of my girlfriends if I could. It has the proper etiquette for every situation too. It is like my bible, I always have it handy. It is pretty girly though so be forewarned.
Alicia Whitehead
Jan 30, 2008 Alicia Whitehead rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ambie_0119@hotmail.com
Recommended to Alicia by: Found it at Target!
This book is fabulous! From GUYS, GUYS, to Resumes, to painting your house...this book had everything you need to know... even the basics of sports... This book is fabulous for single women or even if you're not!
Melissa H
Not much in it that I didn't know already but this would be a really good gift for a highschool grad that is getting ready to go to college and live in an apartment for the first time by themselves.
Heather Smith
Read this in my late teens /I early twenties when I was first starting out. It helped me get acquainted with LIFE and the basic necessities of what a young, modern girl needed to 'make it'.
Janelle
This book was a bit outdated when I read it so there wasn't much to be learned. There were some recipe's which was nice but other than that.. I probably wouldn't open it again.
Brittany
This is a great must have book. It is so useful, the only downside is that some of the information will eventually become somewhat outdated.
Chelsea
Jul 16, 2007 Chelsea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls!
It was a great book with plenty that could be learned from it, but not dry and boring like most "guide" books are. Funny at times. Really great.
  • The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything: Advice on Absolutely Everything
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • The Go-Girl Guide: Surviving Your 20s with Savvy, Soul, and Style
  • Be Honest--You're Not That Into Him Either: Raise Your Standards and Reach for the Love You Deserve
  • Make Every Man Want You: How to Be So Irresistible You'll Barely Keep from Dating Yourself!
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • The Goddess Guide
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day
The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood The Modern Girl's Guide to Sticky Situations What's Next: The Experts' Guide: Predictions from 50 of America's Most Compelling People Leprosy in Colonial South India: Medicine and Confinement Managing Responsibly: Alternative Approaches to Corporate Management and Governance