Start by marking “A Hard Day's Fright (Pepper Martin, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Hard Day's Fright (Pepper Martin, #7)

A Hard Day's Fright (Pepper Martin #7)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  56 reviews
What happened to a teenager named Lucy one night in 1966 after a Beatles concert? She rushed the stage, kissed Paul, started home with her friends, and was never seen again-until cemetery guide and unintentional PI to the dead Pepper Martin sees her as a ghost. Lucy's spirit can't rest in peace until her body is found and buried. But how will Pepper track down a missing co...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Berkley Books (first published March 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Hard Day's Fright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hard Day's Fright

Barbara
I love the Pepper Martin series :) It's like chick lit wrapped in a mystery with a paranormal bow on top. Pepper is such an interesting character--a survivor with an impeccable sense of fashion. After the high society world she was groomed for falls apart, thanks to her father & some Medicare fraud, she picks herself up, dusts herself off and gets a job as a tour guide at the local cemetery. A mishap at the cemetery leaves Pepper with an interesting gift: she can communicate with the dead. S...more
Myhotstylist
7th in series.

Ive been following Pepper from the very beginning, and I have to say, shes definitely grown as a character. Since Quin dumped her, shes now very independant(as she usually is) and is sought out by a young ghost on a rapid train. Pepper learns that the ghost is Lucy Pasternack, an old friend of her boss, Ella. Ella is haunted by Lucy's dissapearacne, and Pepper is determined to find Lucy's killer and body, after Ella's daughter Ariel dissapeard for a day. They are trying to teach A...more
Melodie
This series is definitely one of my favorites and the last 2 have just been excellent. In this one Pepper is helping the ghost of a teenager who disappeared 45 years ago find her body. Great read!!
A.
Pepper's car is broke so she is riding on the Rapid Transit when Lucy Pasternak, dead since 1966 after a Beatles concert, approaches Pepper. But rather than asking Pepper to help find her killer she asks Pepper to simply find her body. Nobody knows the fifteen year old and popular Lucy is dead because the body was never found. Pepper was tempted to turn down the case since there just was no starting point, until her boss, Ella, turns out to have been Lucy's best friend and still mourns the loss...more
Julie H.
For fans of the Pepper Martin series, they will enjoy A Hard Day's Fright. The premise is relatively straightforward: nearly 40 years ago Pepper's boss Ella rode home on the Cleveland subway with four high school friends after a Beatle's concert at which Lucy had run up on stage and kissed Paul McCartney. Lucy was the last one to leave the subway and was never seen or heard from again. That is, until her ghost appeared next to Pepper and asked her to find her murdered body. Add to this the fact...more
Starr Reina
“A Hard Day’s Fright” by Casey Daniels:

Pepper Martin works in a cemetery, so why not talk to ghosts and solve murders for them? It’s a perfect fit for her, even if sometimes she doesn’t want to do it.

In this witty, enjoyable novel, Pepper is visited by a ghost from the 60s. Forty five years after her death, Lucy Pasternak asks Pepper to find her body so she can rest. It turns out Lucy was none other than the best friend of Pepper’s coworker and good friend Ella. That’s helpful, but not enough be...more
Auggie
I can't say that I would really recommend this book to anyone in particular. It's interesting but forgettable. The main character is unfortunately a bimbo that's entirely full of herself. The fact that the entire book is 1st person perspective of this character makes it annoying from time to time.

Imagine the most prissy girl you know and give her deductive skills and half an ounce of common sense. There you go. Main character.

I'm not saying the Casey Daniels is not a good author to pick up. This...more
Kristin
4.25 stars.

Pepper Martin is back seeing ghosts and solving mysteries. You’d think after seven installments, this series would start to get stale, but, at least to me, they seem as fresh as ever. The mystery surrounding the murders are interesting, new characters pop up and the murderer is never someone you guess by page fifteen. And for not being a fashionista in any way, shape or form, I love how into clothes and appearances Pepper is, yet she’s smart, funny and clever and is almost always beyo...more
Heather
Read more reviews here!

Pepper Martin meets the ghost of Lucy, a teenager that was killed in 1966. No one ever found her body and she can't move on until someone does. While Pepper doesn't initially want to take the case, she finds out that Lucy was like a sister to her boss, Ella. Now she has to locate a body with almost no clues.

I haven't read any of the other books in this series, but it didn't really matter. There were mentions of some back story but it was easy enough to follow with...more
Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter)
Sharon
http://ismellsheep.blogspot.com/2011/... (check out the post. I have a pretty picture of the book!)

I am not a “cozy” mystery reader. I like dark UF, horror and PNR. A while back my mom told me about Pepper Martin, a paranormal mystery series with a heroine that could talk to ghosts. It didn't take long for me to get hooked on Pepper and her struggles to help the dead find justice while looking fabulous at the same time.

Review:
This book focuses on the ghost of an angsty and over-dramatic teenager...more
S.D.
Another installment in the delightful Pepper Martin series. Pepper is a tour guide at a local cemetery. In the first book she had tripped and hit her head on a tombstone. Since that event she started to see dead people, mainly those who wanted her help to find out who killed them or clear their name of something they were accused of before dying. In A HARD DAY’S FRIGHT, Lucy Pasternak takes a seat on the train next to Pepper. The last time Lucy was seen alive was in 1966 when she was returning f...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
The title of the novel ties in with the famous Beatles' song, "A Hard Days Night." Which was what caught my eye, besides loving the past books in the series of spirit communicator, Pepper Martin. The book was set around a 'missing' friend of Pepper's boss, Ella from the night the Beatles came to perform live in Cleveland, Ohio in 1966.

Ella, Ariel,Ella's daughter, and several friends from past books rejoin, Ella's school friends to solve the mystery of what really happened to Lucy. Lucy, just wan...more
Kathy
Cemetery guide and PI for ghosts, Pepper Martin, continues her sleuthing when a young girl who was murdered in the 60s on the night of the Beatles show in Cleveland enlists her aid in finding her filler. In a twist, the girl was an important friend to someone in Pepper's current life. Also, in another twist, death hits way to close to home for Pepper in this book. Still digging the series.
Debbie Heaton
In 1966 following a Beatle's concert, Lucy disappeared. A teenager, she rushed up onto the stage, kissed Paul, started home with her friends, and was never seen or heard from again.

Until Pepper sees her--her ghost that is--a ghost that had heard of Pepper's gift of communicating with the dead and solving their murders. Lucy's spirit can't rest in peace until her body is found and buried. But how will Pepper track down a missing corpse after forty-five years?

Cemetary tour guide and reluctanct med...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Yodamom
Pepper is approached by a ghost that just happens to be her coworkers high school missing friend. A girl that went missing over 45 years ago. They tangles her up in a whole mess of old high school drama and family issues. Pepper tackles the few clues available with the help of a teenage want to be.
This was not my favorite Pepper mystery. I had trouble keeping interested in the book for the first 3/4 of the story. it just did not have the wow factor of her previous mysteries. Perhaps it was the t...more
Vickie
Pepper Martin mystery series has had me hooked since DON OF THE DEAD. The titles are fab, matching each book's premise. The covers are excellent with Pepper, never full face or looking away from the reader, posing among the tombstones.

Pepper has become quite good at detecting for the dead after solving the last six ghosts' issues. She knows research and hoofin' it around to get answers. She still likes to look stylish doing so and she still isn't overly adoring of her job, but she does love her...more
Paris
I really enjoy fluffy mystery novels like these. Ones where the protagonist is light, fun and interesting, she isn’t perfect, but she’s also not TSTL. I especially enjoy them when the mystery isn’t too easy to figure out. The books in the Pepper Martin series are fun, perfect summer reading with just the right amount of love interest, intrigue and mystery. As much as I love books like this, I don’t think I would ever own them unless given to me as a prize in a contest or as a present. But I defi...more
Melissa Laforce
This is the first book that I've read in this series or by Casey Daniels and I loved it. I can't wait to track down the rest of the series and start on them.
E.
Excellent addition to the series. Pepper gains an unlikely sidekick in the form of Ella's troubled youngest daughter, Ariel. The juxtaposition of a teenager growing up in the times when the Beatles were causing riots and a teen in modern times makes a nice counterpoint for the mystery that becomes Pepper's latest case. The personal ties to Ella herself give greater relevance to the case even as Pepper continues to mourn over her own lost opportunities in the form of Quinn the detective. A great...more
Jan
In 1966, Emma, Pepper's future boss and good friend, went to a Beatle's concert with her good friend Lucy and some of Lucy's other friends. That was the last time Emma saw Lucy. But Pepper has seen Lucy, in the almost flesh, and has promised to find Lucy's body so she can rest. The only way to do that is to figure out who the killer is.

I love this series. This story was very good with lots of twists and turns and we get to see more of Emma in this one. She is a fun character. I had figured out m...more
Karen
I really liked the first few chapters of this book. The beginning is excellent for grabbing attention.

But then the characters started to feel like cliches. None of the main characters felt fully fleshed out, and I find random clothing descriptions and label listing distracting and annoying. I half-expected to find random recipes between the chapters. When authors resort to misdirection and distractions, I know the story is not complex and the book is nothing more than average.

If I had rated th...more
Elaine
I really enjoy this series already jumped into the next one!
Bree
I liked book # 7 in the series, however, it was my least favorite, so far. The usual ghost in the story is riding a train this time, instead of the graveyard, and does not pop up as often...since Pepper has to ride the train in order to have a conversation with her. I rather missed the ghost talk.

At the end of the story we find something new is about to happen to Pepper, so I think the character is evolving into new territory for the next installment. I hope it includes more time with Quinn.
Amy
Another fantastic addition to the Pepper Martin series!

This one starts out with a Beatles concert @ the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium in 1966. After this concert, Lucy & Ella are riding the Rapid home. Ella got off at her stop and Lucy stayed on the train. This was the last time anyone ever saw Lucy again.

Fast forward 45 years to the present and Lucy's ghost. She has asked Pepper to find her body and give her a proper burial. My best advice for this book is "expect the unexpected!"
Lindsay
In this book, Pepper (who is still snobby) sees a ghost of a seventeen year old girl who died back in 1966 who needs Pepper's help in finding her body. Only the ghost is stuck on a bus. So everytime Pepper needs to talk to her (Lucy) she has to get on the bus. Lucy was friends with Pepper's boss Ella so Pepper really wants to find out what happened. All in all, it was decent. Has a nice cliffhanger at the end to make the readers want to read the next book.
Kevin Lanahan
A nice addition to the series. This is the 7th book, and in some series, things start to get a little stale by now, but Daniels keeps it going pretty well. I think she's got a couple more stories before she goes all Lillian Braun Jackson on us.

I don't care about descriptions of clothes, but the story line and the mystery all work well. The ghost aspect keeps it fresh, and is much more enjoyable than most other stories with supernatural elements.
Lisa
Casey Daniels just keeps getting better. The mystery was a bit predictable but entertaining. This novel moved the characters forward by leaps and bounds. Pepper is no longer as whiny, fashion-obsessed and self-centered. Pepper has become an empathic character. I really liked the addition of Ella's daughter Ariel to this story. As usual, we're left with quite the cliffhanger. I'm looking forward to #8!
Amanda
Pepper Martin is Fantastic!

I loved the way that Pepper and Lucy met, it perfectly reflects their personalities.

Pepper is so lucky to have so many people who care about her and are willing to jump in to help her with her investigations. Even when things get tough she always has her friends to back her up, and help her pick up the pieces.

I can't wait to read the next Pepper Martin Mystery!
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (Vintage Magic Mystery #6)
  • An Uninvited Ghost (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #2)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)
  • Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #5)
  • Dead Bolt (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #2)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2)
A pseudonym used by Connie Laux, A.K.A Miranda Bliss and Kylie Logan.

A couple years ago I applied for a part-time job as a tour guide at a historic cemetery not far from where I live. Why? Well, aside from the fact that the job would force me to step away from my computer and remind me that there was a life beyond writing (even in a place where just about everybody was dead), I love cemeteries.

No,...more
More about Casey Daniels...
Don of the Dead (Pepper Martin, #1) The Chick and the Dead (Pepper Martin #2) Tombs of Endearment (Pepper Martin #3) Night of the Loving Dead (Pepper Martin #4) Dead Man Talking (Pepper Martin #5)