A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)

A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  69 reviews

Welcome to Bali, where violence, intrigue, and infidelity are all part of a day’s work for Inspector Singh.

Inspector Singh, everyone’s favorite portly and wheezing homicide detective, is still recovering from his last case when terrorists set off a bomb on the neighboring island of Bali. With Singapore’s anti-terrorist team busy defending the home front, Inspector

Published July 19th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2009)

Tequila
I have to admit I started reading Shamini Flint's Bali Conspiracy Most Foul after finishing Iris Johansen's "Quinn," second in a 3-book culmination of the Bonnie subplot which has remained unresolved at the heart of the Eve Duncan books. In contrast to the Johansen novels, in which every character is fabulously muscular and absolute gorgeous but with series psychological issues (the better to track serial killers, my dear), Shamini's characters are gloriously and unabashedly ordinary, human, and...more
LJ
First Sentence: Jimi’s hands were clammy.

Inspector Singh has been assigned to Bali to help with security and anti-terrorist measures after a bomb had been set off in the tourist part of the island. Singh feels he has little to offer; his expertise is solving murders. When a body with a bullet hole, killing him before the explosion, is found in the wreckage, Singh is there to find the answers with the help of a Aussie cop assigned to work with him.

The opening—seeing things from the perspective of...more
Sarah Syahirah
This so-called mystery is quite straight forward. The author gave a lot of hints on who the murderer is, so it is kind of predictable in the end. There are a lot of 'extra, excessive' characters, which I think are made to complicate the story, to confuse the readers as to which one of the suspects is the ONE. But yeah, as Shamini Flint helps the readers to unravel the mysteries by directly giving hints thus leading to the identification of the real murderer, so it's not that complicated or confu...more
Craig Sisterson
3.5 stars out of 5.

In A BALI CONSPIRACY MOST FOUL, her second in a series featuring irascible and portly Sikh detective Inspector Singh, Flint sets a murder mystery in the debris and aftermath of the horrific real-life ‘Bali bombings’ that devastated the tourist Mecca several years ago.

The back cover blurb states: "Inspector Singh is back, but this time on secondment to Bali. A bomb has exploded and Singh has been sent to help with anti-terrorism efforts. But there’s a slight problem: he know s...more
Karen
The second Inspector Singh novel from Shamini Flint takes Singh to Bali to join the anti-terrorism efforts post a major bombing that ripped through the tourist areas. What exactly Singh is doing as part of a anti-terrorism squad is no clearer to him than it is to anybody else, but the body in the wreckage, shot dead before the bomb gives Singh the sort of case that he's used to solving - a straight-forward murder.

When I read the first book (A MOST PECULIAR MALAYSIAN MURDER) I did comment "This b...more
JoV
This is my first in the series of Inspector investigates and I must say Flint did not set out to paint Inspector Singh as an endearing character like other detective series in Asia or Africa (I shall not name names, but you know). Inspector Singh is port-bellied, make a mess of his shirt when he eats his curry, his interrogation tactic can be aggressive and he has a wry sense of humour. These traits didn’t put me off, as Inspector Singh is competent and effective. He doesn’t minced his words and...more
Ummu Auni
I definitely would say that the second instalment in the series is way much better than the first one. The plot flow smoothly and the author was able to make the plot much more believable and intriguing. As much as love her detailed description about Bali, I skipped few parts though. The story starts off with a bombing that happened in Bali, but a body was found among the debris killed before the bombing itself.

As much as I wanted to understand the motive behind the bombing, I couldn't comprehe...more
Jules Jones
I was recently offered review copies of the second and third books in the Inspector Singh Investigates series by Shamini Flint, about a Sikh detective in the Singapore police force. I was pleased to accept, as I thought that the first book was very enjoyable, if flawed. I'm very happy to say that the second book, A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul, makes good on the promise shown by the first. The story's just as good, but the writing's much smoother in this episode of the Inspector's adventures, witho...more
Remi
Shamini Flint's sequel to her Malaysian-themed murder mystery takes place in neighboring Indonesia on the amazing (nor really, you MUST go there and visit for yourself!) island of Bali. I love Bali so much and was excited to see a murder-mystery that was based here. Shamini Flint obviously knows a thing or two about life on the island of gods and it comes through in the reality portrayed in her writing.

Anybody who has every traveled to Bali would have been heartbroken hearing the news of the ter...more
Beth

“He knew his instructions by heart – he was to wait for one of them to ring him and then take his foot off the brakes. That had been drummed into him over and over again. They were concerned he might jump the gun. But Jimi understood. He was to wait and do what he was told. He had spent his whole short lifetime doing just that – waiting and doing what he was old….His phone rang. He didn’t pick it up. Jimi took his foot off the brake and held the steering wheel firmly, his hands at the ten o’cloc...more
Vilia
Review from Backchatting Books

This novel hits quite close to home as it was only in 2002 and again in 2005 when Bali was bombed. Shamini Flint definitely doesn’t shy away from unpleasant and what some would consider taboo topics. The fat man is back and this time he is hunting an opportunistic murderer. A bomb is detonated in Bali and when police recover the bodies, they discover one of the skull fragments has a bullet hole in it.

I really enjoyed the character of Inspector Singh – he’s fat, swea...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: Jimi's hands were clammy.

Inspector Singh's superiors in Singapore still don't want him around, so when a bomb explodes in Bali, they send him to help with the anti-terrorism efforts. The problem is, he's tops in solving murders. Send him on a terrorist hunt, and the man doesn't have a clue. So when a body is discovered in the wreckage that has a bullet hole in its skull, Singh finally feels as though he can do something worthwhile. Now... if he could just get rid of the Australian fe...more
Olduvai
Originally posted on my blog

I used to avoid the crime/mystery shelves at the library. You could find me in fiction, non-fiction, science fiction and fantasy, magazines etc but not the crime/mystery sections. Not until recently.

Perhaps I was unsure of where to begin, which series were good, which writers actually wrote well instead of just churning out book after book in factory-style mass production.

So I’ve been playing catch up.

Partly because of the very many series that have come from count...more
Jennie
I wish we could give half-stars - my rating is more 2-1/2. I like the character of Inspector Singh, but as with the first one (A Most Peculiar Malaysian Mystery), there are too many characters who don't really have anything to do with the plot, and it gets confusing (and a little annoying) to keep them straight. A red herring or two are okay, but five or six? Too much!

Also: let's back off on the descriptions of the characters. 92 re-statings of Julian looking like a BBC actor, and Greg the tawn...more
Tony
While the first book in the "Inspector Singh Investigates" saw the troublesome Singaporean copper sent off to Kuala Lumpur to assist in a high-society murder, this book uses a much grimmer incident as the basis for his exile. He is sent to the Indonesian island of Bali to assist with the aftermath of a suicide bomb attack on a tourist site by an Islamic terrorist group (based on the real 2002 Bali terrorist attacks by the Jemaah Islamiyah). Singh has no expertise whatsoever in anti-terrorism ope...more
Thomas S
A good read, not great. The protagonist is a Sikh detective on the Singapore police force who is sent to Bali, Indonesia, to help in the international investigation into the Bali bombings circa 2005 or thereabouts. Singh's specialty is murder, not terror, and when a "bombing victim" is found with a bullet hole in his charred skull he finally finds himself useful.

The Singh character is not teriibly interesting but a few of the supporting characters are decent. Bali is supposed to be a beautiful i...more
Shani
Interesting because of the setting: Bali in the aftermath of the terrorist bombings in 2002.
Inspector Singh has to distinguish between terrorism and murder and weave his way through an increasingly confusing set of clues.
Kathy Chung
Reviewed at : Mama Kucing Books : Inspector Singh Investigates : A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul By Shamini Flint

I have read the 1st book "Inspector Singh Investigates : A Most Particular Malaysian Murder" and found it absolutely wonderful. A friend who read the same book commented that it was bias. But for me, that's the good thing of fiction. You are allowed to be bias.

I find that this story very fast paced and exciting. Shamini must have travelled widely around Bali as she know the little quirks...more
Renee
Inspector Singh is a reliable bumbling but clever detective. Exiled once again from Singapore by his superiors, Singh is in Bali after terrorists bombs have killed tourists and locals. There is one death, however, not caused by the explosion: someone has been shot first. Singh must sort out first just who the victim is, amid the confused carnage of the bombing. And then the real case begins.

There are real life parallels: life in the wake of a devastating terror attack, mass murder of innocents,...more
Megan
In the second installment, Inspector Singh investigates a murder in Bali. Initially, he has been volunteered by the Singaporean police force to assist with investigating a terrorist attack that occurred on the island of Bali. When it becomes clear that one of the bombing victims was murdered beforehand, he and an Australian police officer start a murder investigation. Like the first book, this one deals not only with a murder mystery but also societal issues, adding another element to the story....more
Susan
After the disasterous terrorist bombing in Bali, Singapore sends help, but not their most experienced officer. Instead they send Inspector Singh, their most annoying officer, at least to the police hierarchy. He knows nothing about terrorism, but some of the remains indicate that a man was killed by a bullet at about the time of the bombing. Singh, paired with an abrasive Australian policewoman, knows that he will find the culprit only when he truly understands the dead man, Richard Crouch, a Br...more
Shirin
Jan 24, 2014 Shirin rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who likes light detective genres with pockets of humour
Really liked this, much better than the first one with Malaysia as a background. Flint is getting more comfortable with her characters and it shows. Humour is still the way she does it much suited to its light detective genre.
Alvin
I enjoy books with Asian settings and characters, so this was an easy pick for me. The bumbling Sikh murder-cop reminded me of Hercule Poirot mixed with Inspector Clouseau (Pink Panther) and that was fun.

Ms. Flint pays a lot of attention to detail...which slowed the pace down for me and got a bit repetitive in places. However, the overall story kept me reading & turning pages. And the end did leave me feeling an emotional punch...so at least some of the details did help build the world and...more
Galihmelon
I've been longing to read a detective book based in Indonesia so I saw this book on a library sale, I bought it.

It wasn't a boring book and the story idea was pretty good. However, I was confused with so many suspects and other supporting characters. There were just too many of them and there were less character building for some of them. Other than that, I couldn't help but feeling a bit insulted after reading this book. The stereotyping and generalization were unbearable. I don't think I'm goi...more
Emily
Inspector Singh is a wonderful and welcome relief from the usual modern detective.He is not suave or handsome or irresistibly attractive to woman, but he is intelligent and a good detective and he wears nice white sneakers. I love this series - there is just enough foreign flavor to provide added interest and the mysteries are good, compelling and not gory. I thought this second novel in the series was even better than the first - the mystery was a bit more exciting and the writing seemed more c...more
Cherilyn
arresting until the very end...
Monica
Bali in the aftermath of a terrorist bombing. Inspector Singh is on loan from Singapore to help the local force investigate. He is sidelined to investigate the death of an English tourist who was murdered immediately before the bombing - his remains were found in the ruins, but there was a bullet hole in his skull. Singh is an interesting charcter, as is Bronwyn, his Australian cohort. And the tourist was not what he seemed.

Well plotted, good characters, well written and a very interesting setti...more
Jan
Inspector Singh, a Singapore detective, arrives at Bali as part of the terrorism task force investigating the bombing of the nightclubs. His specialty is murder not terrorism. But apparently there was a murder in the midst of the bombing and he sets off to find justice.

I enjoyed the view of the Singaporian Sikh Singh as he and his Australian partner, navigate Bali and the interaction of the different cultures. It also describes how easy terrorism is perpetuated.
Nancy
Like the first book in this series, A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder, A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul is a good page turner with interesting characters. It also presents an introduction to Indonesia through the setting in Bali with a murder mysteriously connected to a terrorist bombing of a night club.
Ellie
I realized at the gate at JFK that I'd left my Kindle home - disaster...being away on a month long trip. So, I bought this book in the Singapore airport before our flight to Bali. It was a fun and interesting read. I enjoyed reading about Bali having just visited it and the characters were fairly well drawn. That said, unless you're traveling to Bali and have forgotten your Kindle/books, spend your time reading something else.
  • The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing (Vish Puri, #2)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • Love Songs From A Shallow Grave (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #7)
  • Inspector Imanishi Investigates
  • A Whiff of Death
  • The Typhoon Lover
  • Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
  • The Blind Man of Seville (Javier Falcon, #1)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
Shamini Flint lives in Singapore with her husband and two children. She began her career in law in Malaysia and also worked at an international law firm in Singapore. She travelled extensively around Asia for her work, before resigning to be a stay-at-home mum, writer, part-time lecturer and environmental activist, all in an effort to make up for her 'evil' past as a corporate lawyer!

Shamini write...more
More about Shamini Flint...
A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder (Inspector Singh Investigates #1) The Singapore School of Villainy (Inspector Singh Investigates #3) A Deadly Cambodian Crime Spree (Inspector Singh Investigates #4) A Curious Indian Cadaver (Inspector Singh Investigates #5) A Calamitous Chinese Killing (Inspector Singh Investigates #6)