Start by marking “A Proper Charlie” as Want to Read:
A Proper Charlie

A Proper Charlie

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Charlie Wallis has everything a girl could wish for. A loving boyfriend, a nice flat and a fantastic job as a journalist for London Core. Trouble is, Charlie's boyfriend's a waster, her job title really reads 'clerk' and her flat, at the top of a high-rise, isn't that nice after all. Her new boss, Ben, is a huge bear of a man. A gentle giant, with chocolate brown eyes that ...more
Published January 13th 2011 by FeedARead.com

To ask other readers questions about A Proper Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Proper Charlie

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerWicked by Gregory MaguireThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Books So Bad I Couldn't Finish...
204th out of 374 books — 548 voters
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn RandTwilight by Stephenie MeyerEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerHoly Bible by Anonymous
MOST BORING BOOK EVER!
149th out of 305 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa

I thought this book was awful. The character's were unlikable and undeveloped. The story was ridiculous. I truly disliked this book.
Treasure Trove
Sorry not my style at all. Can't really recommend it even if it is free on amazon.
Turtles
I'm nearly half-way and I am giving up on this book. It's well written, no errors. I just can't stand the characters.
Patricia Rockwell
The title of this romance novel—“A Proper Charlie” --may be a bit misleading. The Charlie of the title is Charlotte Wallis or Charlie to her friends. She’s not at all “proper”—and most everyone—even Charlie herself-- likes it that way. That is, until a new boss from the upper echelons of society--Ben Middleton--arrives on the scene. This handsome newcomer turns Charlie’s world upside down and makes her re-evaluate her life and her goals.

Charlie works as a clerk at London Core, a British tabloid
Kathleen Crowell
I felt like this book had a lot of potential to be fun, but it got way too bogged down by the whole missing prostitute scandal. Charlie was a fun character, but it never really went anywhere for me. There was only one real spark of passion between the main characters...ending was a little too silly for me--even though it had moments with Mel involved...
Nicola
perhaps 2 1/2 stars
This book was about a silly character who got herself into ridiculous situations, and relied on others to help her get out of them. I found this book required very little effort or attention. A perfect read when a distraction, rather than entertainment is what you are looking for.
Megan
this book was not at all like I expected based on the description, which would have been fine if the book was good but it fell short of that goal.
Rachel
Jul 11, 2014 Rachel marked it as atv
Shelves: no-thanks
The moral of this story should have been: true success is based on merit. If you cheat to gain success, then you have gained nothing.

Becca Chopra
We meet Charlie, a fiery redhead in a menial job at the London Core, just as it's being taken over by a newspaper conglomerate. At the same time, prostitutes are going missing in London's Red Light districts and a "posh abductor" is the main suspect. The book really becomes a page-turner when Charlie decides to pose as a prostitute to garner interviews and even try to catch the abductor. Although nervous, she feels the fear and follows her crazy plans anyway. Mistaken identities - she taking the ...more
Caro
I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. A Proper Charlie is about Charlotte, a clerk working for a newspaper, who is currently breaking up with her ex-boyfriend Andy and sorting through her life.
Charlie wants to be a journalist, but her friends tell her to forget about that dream since she doesn't have the necessary qualification to be a real journalist.
Charlie however decides to write an article about prostitutes... and gets tangled up with her new boss, a serial abductor/possible killer, a b
Bookworm
I enjoyed this novel. It is a fun, easy read and we are kept well entertained by Charlie and her job at Core Newspaper.
I was almost put off by the cover though, it doesn't do quite enough credit to the writing within.
It has all the classic ingredients for pure chick-lit; sparky dialogue, larger than life characters, and our heroine in love with the boss. Of course they both deny their feelings and the romantic tension is built slowly throughout which is how it should be. Too many romance novels
Candice
It was ok for a free Kindle download.
Samantha Janning
Charlie Wallis is hoping to luck out and finally land her dream job as a journalist, and lucky for her, best friend Melvin secured her a position at the London Core- a British tabloid newspaper. But not as a journalist, oh no, Charlie is simply the “clerk,” running mundane tasks for others in the office. But when the Core is bought out by Donald Middleton, things around the office begin to change. For starters, Donald’s son is brought in as the corporate manager, and Charlie is immediately gob s ...more
Rea Sinfield
I need to put my hands up and say I am a new fan or Jane Costello! I recently read and reviewed one of her books. My Single Friend and I absolutely loved it. I couldn’t wait to get started on another one so I didn’t hesitate when I saw Girl On The Run I knew it was coming home with me!

Plot
Abby Rogers has been on health kicks before – they involve eating one Blueberry muffin for breakfast instead of two.
But since starting her own business after too many episodes of The Apprentice, the 28-year-old
Caroline
I have a confession to make it - I love to read a bit of chick lit! And I have to say 'A Proper Charlie' by Louise Wise didn't disappoint.

I loved the cover of the book. It drew my attention for all the right reasons - although I think I might have preferred a picture of Charlie in her union jack dress!

The whole idea of the book was great although I'm not sure I can see Ben and Charlie as a long term couple - Ben seemed a bit of a wuss for Charlie. My favourite character though was Melvin, the
Helen Baggott
Charlie Wallis is a young woman working in media, has daydreams and is looking for love. Sound familiar? If you think Louise Wise's latest novel, A Proper Charlie, is another Bridget Jones clone, you'd be wrong. It was often a struggle to like Bridget, with Charlie you can't help it.

In early chapters Charlie's naivety borders on annoying, but as the novel develops we soon realise she has dreams and it's those that have turned her into a survivor.

Deciding she has hit on the next big story, she h
Linda
This review was originally posted on Big Al's Books and Pals review blog on Tuesday, 08/07/ 2012

Charlie is a mess; she is cute, good natured, witty and terribly insecure. She allows herself to be used by her on again/off again boyfriend Andy, in hopes that he will ask her to marry him. The author does a good job rounding out her characters, I found Charlie interesting and sad. I really didn't like her much, which made it hard for me to invest in her story. I loved her best mate Milton, who was a
Tia
I'm not even going to try and explain this book, so much whacky shit happened I'm still a bit confused. I really don't know if this author is English aka from the UK or not but it seemed pretty out there with all their talk going on in the book.

I have to admit at times I laughed my head off. It was funny but it was more of a stupid funny or I can't believe it, this is so ridiculous funny. They dealt with some serious stuff in this novel and all I could do it laugh pretty much all the way through
Michael
This is a really enjoyable, well written and engaging read. The main protagonist is the very likeable Charlotte, a clerk working for a newspaper who wants to be a journalist. After writing an article about prostitutes, Charlie gets tangled up with all sorts of dramatic, hilarious and gripping scenarios with some often deeper themes throughout. I’m new to this author, but I’m glad I came across her and the writing is quick and with some cracking dialogue. The short-ish chapters also made it a gre ...more
TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠
After finding this on a Listopia and checking out the blurb, I'm fairly certain that I won't like it. So I'm just leaving myself this harmless reminder.
Barbara ♥~Lindt Ninja~♥ (Careerist Gangster™)
Saw it on a Listopia for Best British Books but after having a good laugh, I disagreed and decided it wasn't for me.
mountainmama
Charlie Wallis is a mess – her boyfriend is a loser, her job is a dead end, and despite growing up in an orphanage, she has zero street smarts. Aspiring to become a journalist, she decides to go undercover as a prostitute to get insight into a story she wants to write. And of course, she walks straight into trouble. Throw in a new boss who finds her attractive, and you have all the ingredients for a romantic farce.

An entertaining, light read – recommended for anyone who enjoys that genre.
Amanda
The book is well-written plot wise and most of the secondary characters are interesting and funny, but the leads are totally unlikeable; Charlie is an airhead to the point where she is a danger to herself, whilst Ben is a judgemental snob.

I thought that I'd be able to finish the book anyway, but then I read the part where Charlie decided that 14 year olds who become prostitutes are just pestering men for sex...
Karen (Kew)
This is an enjoyable, chick lit read but it does have some deeper themes in it. I found it to be well written with attractive characters. The depth comes with Charlotte's research into prostitution for a novel that she wants to write. The subject is sensitively handled without being trite or heavy handed. The ending of the novel is a gripping race against time.
Heidi Rothert
Interesting topic. Got tired of Charlie's constant lack of confidence and I thought her best friend was horrible to her, but the story was cute and thinking of it being read in an English accent makes it even more fun. (English writing style)
Elizabeth Jasper
A good, light-hearted read with an underlying serious message that adds to the drama and tension of the story. I enjoyed it - Charlie is adorable, and her mishaps with her nw boss are well-described and imaginative. Recommended.
Ashley
Charlie (Charlotte Wallis) was a hard knock orphan who still knew how to dream when she met Ben, her new boss. Ben had a rough patch with the death of his mother but came through it on his feet, but are they meant for each other?
Emhenson
Fun little read. Had a lot of British phrasing and slang that I didn't completely understand but could usually get the jist of what was going on. A good blend of mystery, humor, and romance kept it entertaining.
Zaanodes
I liked this better than I thought I would in the beginning. I did have trouble with the colloquialisms (London). The last line totally lost me as did quite a few others. Ah, well. Still, a decent read.
Fiona Ross
I loved this book. Charlie's clumsy antics to make a success of her life and win the man she loves made me wince and entertained me at the same time. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Books 2 Read: Louise Wise 10 18 Aug 31, 2011 07:09PM
  • Build A Man (Serenity Holland, #1)
  • She Who Hunts
  • Vardin Village
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Return Of The Runaway Bride
  • Sleeping with Paris (A Paris Romance)
  • The Last Page
  • Stuck with You
  • Last Summer
  • Special Delivery (Hollywood Hills, #1)
  • The Rent-A-Groom
  • Mr. Right For The Night
  • Practice Cake (Life in Saltwater City, #1)
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • The Countess (Bride Quest, #4)
  • Jinxed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #1)
  • Wedding Bell Blues
  • Cupcake
Eden Hunted (Eden - Beauty and the Beast) The Fall of the Misanthrope: I bitch, therefore I am So you want an Author Platform? Scruffy Trainers