A Hundred Little Lies

A Hundred Little Lies

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Everyone knows Jack Tulle as a widower, a doting father, and an honest businessman. The problem is, it's all a lie. For eight years Jack has enjoyed the quiet life in the sleepy little town of Bodey, Colorado where he owns and operates the General Store. He sits on the town council. He dotes upon his eight-year-old, headstrong daughter, Abigail. He is even being sized-up a...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Cheyenne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Hundred Little Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hundred Little Lies

Lori
3.5 - it's a great book but this fits in with how I've rated other books. Will review properly later.
Elisa Rolle
If you expect to read you classical western romance (even with the addition of the gay element), A Hundred Little Lies will surprise you. Western romance are mostly about midday appointment under the sun, or corrupted small town where justice is not at home, or bittered men who are searching for vengeance. But that is not the case here, and even if, like in an old classic western romance, Jack Tulle has a past he would prefer to forget, and being forgotten, that is basically the only common elem...more
Kassa
A Hundred Little Lies is an absorbing historical debut. This is an author I’ll keep an eye out for what they do next. The story is an easy day in the life narrative in the first person told by Jack. His bias colors the story and as the plot progresses the reader realizes that Jack may or may not be telling the truth. He’s built his life on lies so it’s difficult to tease out the truth from those lies, even within the context of the story. Thus sometimes the story assumes the reader knows more th...more
Bending The Bookshelf
Words that come to mind when thinking back on this book? Charming, entertaining, delightful, and romantic. Jon has done a wonderful job with the material here, and his writing style is so clear and warm, you can’t help but settle into the story. I only intended to give the first chapter a read last night, and I found I was halfway through before my eyes challenged my brain to a duel at twenty paces . . . and won.

What struck me most about the story is how beautifully the feeling of family is deve...more
Smith Barney
Some promising writing..and sexy gunsmoke-era man-on-man moments. But I'm not especially fond of actively participating kids in storylines. I find them too cliche and wish we could just shove them off to boarding school or some shit..
Aussie54
I'm so glad I recently discovered Jon Wilson's stories.

I really liked "A Hundred Little Lies". I read several reviews before starting the story, so I was prepared to find an unlikeable Abigail, and a story that was somewhat confusing at times, due to the author knowing more about the life of his characters than he shared.

What I found was a fairly normal little girl, albeit one with an accent that fit the story fine with me. She spent most of her time playing with children who spoke just that wa...more
Erik Orrantia
Spoiler Warning

I enjoyed this book. I particularly liked the old town setting, and the unusual circumstances. The relationship between the father and daughter seemed quite genuine. The overall language was easy to read and the frequent use of slurs or abbreviations from the era added to it.

I did have a few points with which I struggled. Namely, I felt like the author emphasized at times unimportant details which might not have added (ie. my comment about too many greetings--"hello Mrs. so-and-so...more
Erastes
A debut novel, and a quite impressive debut too. I really liked the style of writing Wilson employs. It reminded me very much of "The Winter of our Discontent" by Steinbeck with the everyday narrative flow and observation of small-town living. We are introduced to Jack through his waking up, getting his daughter ready for school, interraction with towns people and working in his general store. We are set up to think, as do the townspople that he is indeed a pillar of the community.

But of course,...more
Jerry
Unique historical story built on a smattering of truths and a bunch of lies. Strong love between father and daughter. Even though this is set in the old west, a few characters appear to be OK with guys being gay. So many threads of connections that it is hard to cipher them out. HFN. Would have liked an epilogue to find out a little more of how it all turns out.
Erastes has written a great review, check hers out. Although I don't altogether agree with her assessment of Abigail. I think parents ha...more
Lena Grey

At some time or the other, everyone lies, from little white lies to spare someone's feelings all the way to deceitful lies. Sometimes there are no consequences. However, when your existence is filled with more lies than truth, as Jack Tulle's in 'A Hundred Little Lies' by Jon Wilson, it becomes increasingly difficult to distinguish one from the other. Eventually the lies will come back to haunt you.

Jon Wilson did a good job of depicting life as it was in the old west without burying us in long,...more
Lee
A Hundred Little Lies has a real nice feel to it. The story unfolds in a very nonlinear way. Often a scene was played out without the reader knowing why until the last sentence. It was a bit unsettling and it took me a while to get use to it, but I did and I'm glad that I read the book. I give A Hundred Little Lies three stars.
Rachel
This is just really goood, really well written. Not at all what you'd expect from reading the descriptors, it rises above and ignores genre conventions.
Cecil James
The book gained momentum as it went along until I was thoroughly enjoying it.
Bt
I hope i win this one sounds great! i love historical fiction!
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jess25
Jess25 marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Joleen
Joleen added it
Sep 06, 2014
Everton
Everton marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
WhisperingOcean
WhisperingOcean marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
PaperMoon
PaperMoon marked it as to-read
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Martijn Hartman-maatman marked it as to-read
Helle
Helle marked it as to-read
Jax
Jax marked it as to-read
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
CC
CC marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
S.M. Franklin
S.M. Franklin marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Feb 09, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Nova
Nova marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lethe Press Books: A Hundred Little Lies 1 2 Sep 13, 2014 04:44PM
Growing up, Jon Wilson wanted to be a stunt man, a professional wrestler or a rodeo clown. After breaking his neck in 2001, he decided writing might be safer.

He was wrong.

Currently living in California, he is occasionally hard at work on his next novel. He's finished three: A Hundred Little Lies, A Shiny Tin Star, and The Obsidian Man.

Learn more at: http://jonwilsonauthor.blogspot.com/