Start by marking “Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague” as Want to Read:
Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague

Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Beginning a new era in Dungeons & Dragons history The genre-defining roleplaying game gets its first ongoing series in years Join writer John Rogers (Blue Beetle) and artist Andrea Di Vito (Annihilation) as they bring us a tale of high adventure and deep secrets. Adric Fell leads a band of heroes in a world where civilization has been reduced to a few scattered points ...more
Published June 29th 2011 by Idea & Design Works, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1

Victor Drax
Al empezar a leer, esperas mundos elaborados de fantasía, como tantos miles de trabajos en el género en donde sientes que, como no leíste los volúmenes escritos desde 1978, no sabes nada.

Eso no ocurre acá. Muy bien escrito, con un excelente sentido del humor, es lo que pretende y un poquito más: una historia de aventura con buenos personajes y giros inesperados.

Me gusta particularmente que no hace referencia constante a normas del juego de Calabozos y Dragones (cosas como los libros en los que u
Brenda
I never played Dungeons and Dragons, so to me this was just a fun fantasy graphic novel. I liked the story a lot, and there was some good humor mixed in. The artwork was pretty decent too. I will definitely be reading more in this series.
Abhinav
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the first volume of the Shadowplague arc for IDW’s Dungeons & Dragons series, collecting the first six chapters of the story of Adric Fell and his band of adventurers.

“One of the most gorgeous graphic novels with a rock-solid storyline that gives you a definitive alternative gaming experience.” ~The Founding Fields

I’ve never played Dungeons & Dragons, it just wasn’t ever po
Alexander Case
Interesting story, which ends on a nice cliffhanger, and with a well written group of adventurers (with John Rogers, who Blue Beetle, along with being the show-runner for Leverage).
Jdetrick
Beautiful art, a fun story, developed characters and a lot of well done humor; D&D fans should enjoy this (and appreciate the packaging, which looks like the old school modules), but there's enough here for anyone to enjoy, as long as they like fantasy and well told stories.
Richard Radgoski
I really ike the crisp writing, the storyline and artistry in this D&D (4e) graphic novel. The banter back and forth sounds like adventurers with a flavor of gamers...but said in such a way that it fits. (IE - at one point, one of the characters says 'never split the party'. Taken by itself, this sounds too gamey, but within the context of the story, its done well.

I'm not sure I like the format of the book. It looks and feels like one of Wizard of the Coast game books. While the cover art is
Nicole
This was a fun read that reminded me of all the best parts of playing a role playing game. There is no intrusion by the "players" - which is good - so the story is framed as the characters' stories only. But it has the snappy dialog of seasoned players playing solid characters, and doesn't have the trappings of trying too hard (ie: thees and thous and verily) to operate in the classic D&D world. Bonus points for not being bogged down by the dungeon crawl (the bane of any classic game, in my ...more
Skut L
This was so much better than I'd anticipated, it reminds me so much of pnp gaming sessions and online roleplaying experiences. The party is well-fleshed out and the characters are unique and archetypal without devolving into stereotypes.My favorites are easily Khal the dwarfadin and Bree Three-Hands the feisty halfling rogue.

The artist Andrea Divito does some amazing work throughout, and the cover artists are well-chosen, some of them having worked on DnD, Pathfinder and likely other gaming prod
Andrew John Pixton
Lo leí en español.
David(LA,CA)
Absolutely brilliant. To me, this is what a prime example of a Dungeons and Dragons game session should be like. A group of adventurers (that taunt and make jokes at each others expense) working together to save their home (and their own reputation) from an unknown force of evil.

It's a collection of six issues of a comic book series, so it's a quick read. I look forward to reading further collections of the series (when they get made into an e-reader format like the nook version of this collect
Khairul H.
What's not to like in this book? Nothing! Writing? Witty and irreverent. "My people walk ancient paths" "Shortcut. Just say 'shortcut'." It's not high literature but if you're expecting high literature why are you reading Dungeons and Dragons? Artwork? Excellent. Room to breathe? None. The adventurers escape from one tight spot only to fall into another tight spot practically every third page which is par for the course in a good D&D campaign.

Ryan
Fantasy is fun again! No gratuitous gore or awkward sex scenes- this is pure "band of misfits go on adventures and fight kobolds and dragons and stuff." The outcast nature of the party and their self-deprecating quips are almost Whedon-esque in their consistency and execution, making the book feel almost like "Firefly in dungeons." Highly recommended if you have even a passing interest in the brand or genre.
Alan
Go ahead, call me a geek. I know a Dungeons & Dragons comic is not exactly high literature. But John Rogers is a master of fun adventure stories, and the art by Andrea Di Vito is absolutely gorgeous, especially as reprinted in this high-quality hardcover edition. If you just want a fun, beautiful fantasy adventure with plenty of laughs and not-entirely-predictable twists, you could do a lot worse than this book.
Jeff Raymond
As a D&D nerd, I had heard good things about the comic that came out. I landed a cheap copy of the hardcover, so why not, right?

It's fun. It's equal parts corny adventure (jokes and all) and nerdy fun. The artwork is...okay. Nothing special, but it works.

It's a good time. Probably closer to a 3.5, but it's worth reading as a straight-line fantasy comic, especially if you're into the setting.
Steve Thomas
This is everything D&D fiction should be. Whereas D&D fiction often has at tendency to the mechanical or melodramatic, this series is a series of tongue-in-cheek adventures that you can enjoy without knowing the game. The characters and themes don't have a whole lot of depth, but that isn't the point. It's a fun series with great art.
ClassicMaiden
Probably my favorite Comic book Series to come out in 2011. An absolute must read; stunning and detailed art with a great character-driven action story!

NOTE: This first volume ends in a cliffhanger that makes you eagerly awaiting the second volume.
Shannon Appelcline
Overall, a good adventure story with an increasingly epic scope. However, it gets notched up to the next-level by a pitch-perfect imitation of what what player CHARACTERS actually sound like.
Oliver Morris
Well-written and entertaining. The writing is amusing and well-paced. Perhaps the best D&D-tie-in product ever.
Loki
Good silly fun from the brains behind TV's "Leverage" - just the way D&D oughta be.
Rdaneel
eBook Purchase Date: March 14, 2012
James
James marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Dongolpedeguerra
Dongolpedeguerra marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Will
Will added it
Apr 23, 2015
Howard Ray
Howard Ray marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Marpapad
Marpapad marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
  • Battlepug: Volume 1 (Battlepug, #1)
  • The Legend of Drizzt Omnibus, Vol. 1 (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1-3)
  • Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook
  • Rules Compendium: A Game Reference for All Players (4th Edition D&D)
  • Artifacts, Volume 1
  • Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)
  • Prince of Wolves (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Orcs: Forged for War
  • Preacher: Dead or Alive, the Collected Covers
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)
  • Vindication (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #6)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume Three
John Rogers is a screenwriter, comedian, film producer, and comic book writer. Although born in Worcester, Massachusetts, he attended McGill University in Montreal and is better known publicly as a Canadian writer.
More about John Rogers...
Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 3: Down Dungeons & Dragons: Fell's Five The Ultimate Guide To The Master Cleanse - How To Detox And Cleanse To Lose Weight Fast (Master Cleanse Diet, Cleansing Diet, Detox Diet, Detoxing, Weight Loss)