Start by marking “Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague” as Want to Read:
Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague

Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  299 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Beginning a new era in Dungeons & Dragons history The genre-defining roleplaying game gets its first ongoing series in years Join writer John Rogers (Blue Beetle) and artist Andrea Di Vito (Annihilation) as they bring us a tale of high adventure and deep secrets. Adric Fell leads a band of heroes in a world where civilization has been reduced to a few scattered points ...more
Published June 29th 2011 by Idea & Design Works, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1, please sign up.

Jay Ant I started D & D even younger, so I'd recommend this for his age. I don't have it in front of me, but there will be more violence in a game played…moreI started D & D even younger, so I'd recommend this for his age. I don't have it in front of me, but there will be more violence in a game played by eleven year olds than was present here. Lots of action. Assuming your son is up to date, he is playing Fifth edition and this is Fourth. I'm not familiar with the differences, but in past editions, the changes were nominal. The usual recommendation is to read, "The Hobbit," but he'll have several opportunities in the future to do book reports on that one.(less)

Jay Ant
Feb 03, 2016 Jay Ant rated it really liked it
#DND #1 now available. Keymaster's Vault: Dungeons and Dragon's #1: Shadowplague (2010)
Fell's Five is back with Fifth edition fervor!

Excuse me, waitress, I think you left a wing at home. I'll have the cider.

Dropped into melee just to emerge in trouble again. This winning combo by Rogers and Di Vito has me asking, "Did I read this already?" Let's dial the vault back to 2010 and see.

Dungeons & Dragons (Fell's Five)"The ongoing series of Dungeons & Dragons started in August 2010, with an i
Brenda
May 30, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
I never played Dungeons and Dragons, so to me this was just a fun fantasy graphic novel. I liked the story a lot, and there was some good humor mixed in. The artwork was pretty decent too. I will definitely be reading more in this series.
Benjamin
Javier Grillo-Marxuach--who I like so much I can spell without looking up his name--says maybe the best thing to be said on this comic book (of the 4th edition of D&D, if you're counting): it may not have the rhythms and flavor of fantasy so much as it has the rhythms and flavor of playing a game with your friends.

Which is to say that this world doesn't seem all that real. And maybe this shows my bias, that I don't know this world, but it seems pretty ordinary: towns and monsters and lost ma
Andrey
Nov 09, 2015 Andrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, 2015, fantasy
Lots of funny jokes and fantasy-racial stereotypes :P
Victor Drax
May 05, 2014 Victor Drax rated it it was amazing
Al empezar a leer, esperas mundos elaborados de fantasía, como tantos miles de trabajos en el género en donde sientes que, como no leíste los volúmenes escritos desde 1978, no sabes nada.

Eso no ocurre acá. Muy bien escrito, con un excelente sentido del humor, es lo que pretende y un poquito más: una historia de aventura con buenos personajes y giros inesperados.

Me gusta particularmente que no hace referencia constante a normas del juego de Calabozos y Dragones (cosas como los libros en los que u
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 16, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Overall, a good adventure story with an increasingly epic scope. However, it gets notched up to the next-level by a pitch-perfect imitation of what what player CHARACTERS actually sound like.
Keith Irwin
Jan 10, 2016 Keith Irwin rated it really liked it
This volume collects the first several issues of IDW's Dungeons and Dragons series (not to be confused with earlier DC comics ones). This is an adventure comic set in the D&D universe and, I have to say, it was a joy to read. The characters are fun, if not always deeply characterized, the action is clear and well done, and the dialog is snappy. The events of the plot are outlandish enough to make a good tale, but not so extreme as to strain my suspension of disbelief. Just, as a whole, very ...more
Abhinav
Dec 21, 2012 Abhinav rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the first volume of the Shadowplague arc for IDW’s Dungeons & Dragons series, collecting the first six chapters of the story of Adric Fell and his band of adventurers.

“One of the most gorgeous graphic novels with a rock-solid storyline that gives you a definitive alternative gaming experience.” ~The Founding Fields

I’ve never played Dungeons & Dragons, it just wasn’t ever po
James Bowman
Aug 28, 2015 James Bowman rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, comics, dnd
Not just another run-of-the-mill D&D adaptation! Set in the 4th Edition continuity, this features a well-characterized and entertaining adventuring party (with nice banter) becoming embroiled in a planes-spanning adventure. Probably the best D&D comic so far, next to DC's old Forgotten Realms comic. Looking forward to later volumes!

(Oh, and as a neat bonus, it includes an adaptation of the first few issues as a 4th Edition adventure module.) (A-)
Christopher
Jul 07, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it
What an utterly enjoyable guilty pleasure. It's hack-and-slash fantasy with more than enough witty and silly banter among the diverse cast of adventurers battling an "ancient evil" to keep me reading late into the night. I felt guilty that I wanted to keep reading. Then I didn't care and kept reading.
Alexander Case
Aug 18, 2014 Alexander Case rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Interesting story, which ends on a nice cliffhanger, and with a well written group of adventurers (with John Rogers, who Blue Beetle, along with being the show-runner for Leverage).
Jack Vinson
Nov 02, 2015 Jack Vinson rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome graphic novel that works along the DUngeons and Dragons theme. The boys love the story, in particular the Halfling, Bree Three-Hands. "Trap, trap, trap, trap, trap. Trappity trap!" Have read several times over the past few months. Looking for more!
Jdetrick
May 04, 2014 Jdetrick rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art, a fun story, developed characters and a lot of well done humor; D&D fans should enjoy this (and appreciate the packaging, which looks like the old school modules), but there's enough here for anyone to enjoy, as long as they like fantasy and well told stories.
Deckard Ra
Feb 01, 2016 Deckard Ra rated it it was amazing
The story plays just like a session of classic tabletop roleplaying. I laughed a good bit at the jokes. The plot twist for some stories caught me unexpected too. Perfect when the gang is not around for this week's D&D session. Looking forward to the next volume.
Richard Radgoski
Aug 28, 2011 Richard Radgoski rated it really liked it
I really ike the crisp writing, the storyline and artistry in this D&D (4e) graphic novel. The banter back and forth sounds like adventurers with a flavor of gamers...but said in such a way that it fits. (IE - at one point, one of the characters says 'never split the party'. Taken by itself, this sounds too gamey, but within the context of the story, its done well.

I'm not sure I like the format of the book. It looks and feels like one of Wizard of the Coast game books. While the cover art is
Nicole
Jan 26, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read that reminded me of all the best parts of playing a role playing game. There is no intrusion by the "players" - which is good - so the story is framed as the characters' stories only. But it has the snappy dialog of seasoned players playing solid characters, and doesn't have the trappings of trying too hard (ie: thees and thous and verily) to operate in the classic D&D world. Bonus points for not being bogged down by the dungeon crawl (the bane of any classic game, in my ...more
Frans Karlsson
Oct 07, 2015 Frans Karlsson rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-dd
A band of heroes are faced with possessed people and an ancient dwarven arrtifact. Nice artwork and a totally ok story. Not a stand alone story but ends in a cliffhanger.
Danielle
Aug 09, 2016 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom, e-comics
I read alot of D&D when I was young, never played the game, but loved the concept. This new series of comics is nice! Looking forward to reading many more!
Mark
Dec 07, 2015 Mark rated it liked it
Was OK but had a hard time following along even looking at the art. Story was confusing at points and art often did not help.
Skut L
Nov 16, 2013 Skut L rated it really liked it
This was so much better than I'd anticipated, it reminds me so much of pnp gaming sessions and online roleplaying experiences. The party is well-fleshed out and the characters are unique and archetypal without devolving into stereotypes.My favorites are easily Khal the dwarfadin and Bree Three-Hands the feisty halfling rogue.

The artist Andrea Divito does some amazing work throughout, and the cover artists are well-chosen, some of them having worked on DnD, Pathfinder and likely other gaming prod
James
Oct 22, 2015 James rated it really liked it
Very solid read: snappy dialog, story moves along and the art is pleasant.
Alexander
Aug 01, 2016 Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a bit of cheesy fun...
Anastasiaadamov
Feb 06, 2016 Anastasiaadamov rated it liked it
Light and enjoyable read.
Silas
Jan 05, 2016 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this comic. It certainly didn't break the mold, but was an excellent exemplar of Dungeons & Dragons, and particularly 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons, given the presence of a tiefling warlock. Anyhow, it was some good dungeon crawling fun, and I think it would be appropriate for most readers. If you are looking for something that goes deep into interpersonal issues, this isn't for you, but if you want some adventure that conjures up images of kicking down doors and fightin ...more
Andrew John Pixton
May 01, 2015 Andrew John Pixton rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comic-books
Lo leí en español.
David(LA,CA)
Feb 25, 2012 David(LA,CA) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, gaming
Absolutely brilliant. To me, this is what a prime example of a Dungeons and Dragons game session should be like. A group of adventurers (that taunt and make jokes at each others expense) working together to save their home (and their own reputation) from an unknown force of evil.

It's a collection of six issues of a comic book series, so it's a quick read. I look forward to reading further collections of the series (when they get made into an e-reader format like the nook version of this collect
Khairul H.
Oct 31, 2011 Khairul H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
What's not to like in this book? Nothing! Writing? Witty and irreverent. "My people walk ancient paths" "Shortcut. Just say 'shortcut'." It's not high literature but if you're expecting high literature why are you reading Dungeons and Dragons? Artwork? Excellent. Room to breathe? None. The adventurers escape from one tight spot only to fall into another tight spot practically every third page which is par for the course in a good D&D campaign.

Ryan
Jan 16, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it
Fantasy is fun again! No gratuitous gore or awkward sex scenes- this is pure "band of misfits go on adventures and fight kobolds and dragons and stuff." The outcast nature of the party and their self-deprecating quips are almost Whedon-esque in their consistency and execution, making the book feel almost like "Firefly in dungeons." Highly recommended if you have even a passing interest in the brand or genre.
Alan
Sep 27, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it
Go ahead, call me a geek. I know a Dungeons & Dragons comic is not exactly high literature. But John Rogers is a master of fun adventure stories, and the art by Andrea Di Vito is absolutely gorgeous, especially as reprinted in this high-quality hardcover edition. If you just want a fun, beautiful fantasy adventure with plenty of laughs and not-entirely-predictable twists, you could do a lot worse than this book.
Jeff Raymond
As a D&D nerd, I had heard good things about the comic that came out. I landed a cheap copy of the hardcover, so why not, right?

It's fun. It's equal parts corny adventure (jokes and all) and nerdy fun. The artwork is...okay. Nothing special, but it works.

It's a good time. Probably closer to a 3.5, but it's worth reading as a straight-line fantasy comic, especially if you're into the setting.
  • Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt - Neverwinter Tales
  • Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • Battlepug: Volume 1 (Battlepug, #1)
  • The Eye of the World: the Graphic Novel, Volume Two
  • The Witcher: House of Glass
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 7
  • Project Superpowers
  • Conan, Vol. 3: The Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • The Mark of Nerath (The Abyssal Plague)
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers
  • Son of Khyber (Eberron: Thorn of Breland, #2)
  • Prince of Wolves (Pathfinder Tales)
John Rogers is a screenwriter, comedian, film producer, and comic book writer. Although born in Worcester, Massachusetts, he attended McGill University in Montreal and is better known publicly as a Canadian writer.
More about John Rogers...