Simon and the Easter Miracle

Simon and the Easter Miracle

2.79 of 5 stars 2.79  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Apicture book retelling of a traditional European tale with the events and meaning of the first Easter at its heartBoth thought-provoking and engaging, this is the storyofSimon of Cyrene —"a man coming in from the country," as the Gospels refer to him—who was ordered to carry Jesus' cross. Over the centuries, his story has been woven into Polish folklore; when Simon the fa...more
Published 2012 by Kregel Publications (first published January 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Simon and the Easter Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simon and the Easter Miracle

Melanie
Simon and the Easter Miracle is a traditional tale for Easter about the man Simon who had to carry Christ's cross to the crucifixion.

Simon gathers his wares to sell at the local market and heads out, not expecting to have the Roman solider demand he drop his things and pick up the cross. Simon didn't even know who this man was, beaten and worn out and unable to carry his cross the rest of the way. The book says he 'picked up the prisoner's cross, simply because he had to'.
Simon deposits Christ...more
ReviewsByMolly
Apr 05, 2012 ReviewsByMolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: Kregel Blog Tours
This is a wonderful children's story....if you don't mind that it's not the complete telling of the Easter story from the Bible. However, that being said, this is a wonderful children's story that is filled with vibrantly created illustrations that tell the tale perfectly. I have a 7 year old and 9 year old boy and they both were captivated by the story and the pictures.

I partook in an Easter drama at the church I used to attend, and in the drama we portrayed Jesus' crucifixion, complete with S...more
Tammy
This is a traditional Easter story. Simon is a farmer on his way to the market. The story centers around the market place, the hub of the city.
As Simon is about to set up his place to sell his goods he is confronted by a solider. The soldier wants him to immediately put his bags down and carry the cross.
Simon does as he is commanded for who would go against a Roman soldier with a very sharp sword? But after the day has worn on and Simon returns to his place he finds that all his bags have been...more
Karen Korb
About The Book: Simon and the Easter Miracle: A Traditional Tale for Easter is a story that begins with Simon, the Cyrene, a simple farmer going to Jerusalem to sell wine, bread, and eggs. His trip to market coincides with day that Jesus was being led to his crucifixion. As Simon nears town he sees a crowd of people yelling out, “Crucify him!” A Centurian orders Simon to help carry Jesus' cross and with that one act, Simon's life changes forever!
My Thoughts About The Book: The illustrations are...more
I was very happy to get this book and read it to my children as the most important part of Easter isn’t the baby chicks and bunnies but about the real reason we celebrate this solemn time – it’s about Christ’s death upon the cross and His rising from the death to defeat it, not for Him but for us! Too many books focus on the secular points of this Holy day so when I get a chance to add a solid, Biblical look at Eater in book form I long to add it to my collection. All three of my children enjoye...more
James
This is the first time I have reviewed a kids book here on my blog, but as the father of three young kids, reading kids books comprises the better part of my reading. I also am highly invested in their spiritual formation, so when Kregel Publications offered me an Easter kids book, Simon and the Easter Miracle, I jumped at the opportunity to review it.

Synopsis: Based on a traditional Polish folktale, Simon and the Easter Miracle tells the story of Simon, a farmer, heading to Jerusalem to sell hi...more
The Loopy Librarian
Simon and the Easter Miracle tells the story of a farmer who is on his way to market when he encounters Jesus being beaten and forced to carry his cross on the way to his crucifixion. Simon is enlisted by the Roman soldiers to help Jesus carry the cross. This encounter changes the way Simon views the world. The author does a good job with the telling of the story. The text is simple and straight forward as well as lyrical and beautiful. I’m not sure that a young child would understand all the im...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
Simon and the Easter Miracle tells the tale of Simon, a man who went to town to sell his farm produce, but ends up carrying the cross of Jesus up the hill when Jesus was too weak to continue to do so himself. After carrying the cross, Simon returns to where he'd put his produce but all he finds left are some eggs. The tale shares of Simon's encounter with a miracle that follows, a miracle that seems to point to the promise of what Jesus accomplished on the cross.

My children were eager to gather...more
Tina Peterson
With Easter coming up this week I thought I would share this interesting story - with a twist. It is more of a "folk tale" than a Bible Story because it doesn't tell the whole story. I would of liked to see a page in the back with the story/scripture typed up to support the actual story for older kids/adults.

I had never heard this folk tale - yes, I knew about the man ordered to carry Jesus' cross on the day of his Crucifixion but I had never heard this particular story. Peter was a man who gone...more
Diane Estrella
This is an interesting retelling of an Easter-time Bible story. There is little known about Simon of Cyrene because he only has a brief mention in the book of Matthew. Because there is so little known about this man, the author takes fictional liberties with this book to tell of "what could've happened."

This is one of those stories where it is up to the parent to know what age it is appropriate for sharing this book with a child. It is slated for ages 5 and up, however it does speak of Jesus bei...more
Ann Saylor
This is not the Biblical story of Easter, but rather a loosely historical fiction story told from the perspective of Simon, the man who carried Jesus’ cross up the hill to Golgotha. It’s the tale of Simon’s trip into the market to sell his wares, why he was chosen to carry the cross for Jesus, and how he discovered that a miracle had happened. But it never tells of Christ’s resurrection. And it only describes Jesus as a man preaching a message of peace.

If you’re looking for a folktale related to...more
Margaret
Mar 26, 2012 Margaret rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Cat Hoort
Shelves: kregel, children-s, easter
The first thing that I have to say is that I felt like this book ended very abruptly. I wanted to hear more, either of Simon's thoughts or Jesus or anything. Knowing the story from the Jesus and disciples perspective I'm fine, but having this as an introduction to the Easter Miracle I think a child might be lost. It is neat however to think about the crucifixion from a passerby's perspective. Simon is just a man going through along on his day with the regular annoyances and joys. He didn't expec...more
Maureen Timerman
This is a sharing of a well known Bible passage. Where Simon is on his way to market, and see's a man carrying his cross. The Roman soldiers make him take this man's cross and carry it to the crucifixion site. When he returns to the goods that he had brought to Market, he finds them all broken and scattered. He returns home dejected.
While sharing this with our 4 and 6 year old, they became a bit lost in the story. As an adult I was familiar with this it, and although the books is beautifully il...more
Mymcbooks

Was it a Miracle?

My Review: This is a story about Simon of Cyrene who was compelled to help Jesus carry His cross as recorded in the bible.

The Easter miracle that the author is referring to in this book is Simon being blessed with good crops and a harvest after helping Jesus to carry his cross, and not the resurrection of Christ.

I wish the author mentioned who was carrying the cross and why, therefore the disconnection in the story. The book was beautifully illustrated by Anna Luraschi.

FTC Disc...more
Susie Finkbeiner
"Simon and the Easter Miracle" is a great one. It takes a different approach to telling the Easter story. Mary Joslin retold a traditional telling of the story. She used beautifully woven language and exciting description that kept my kids' ears attentive. Anna Luraschi illustrated this book with a great folksy style and many vibrant colors that had the eyes of my children wide and engaged.

I could keep talking about this book...but, really, it's about what my kids thought. And they loved it. My...more
Renee
The illustrations are what stood out to me in this children's book. Each and every page is filled with color from top to bottom and side to side. It's a book that will delight a child's eyes. The story though left me unsatisfied as things were left unexplained. Jesus was never mentioned by name and there was no mention of His Resurrection. It was bland and uninspiring.

I give the illustrations ***** but the story gets **
Shelli
Simon and the Easter Miracle is the tale of Simon, a merchant farmer who goes into town to peddle his wares, but ends up carrying the cross of Jesus up the hill when Jesus was too weak to do so himself. I didn't really enjoy this book personally, I am not big on Christian stories. If you are, then you would enjoy sharing this with your children around Easter time.
I like the illustrations - water color and pencil

Prose Bible story is adequate
Tag
Tag marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Denise Fiorentini
Denise Fiorentini marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2013
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
The Goodbye Boat The Fourth Wise Man The Tale of the Heaven Tree The Story of the Cross: The Stations of the Cross for Children The Lion Book of Day-by-Day Prayers