Start by marking “Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions” as Want to Read:
Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions

Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  998 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
America is the home of the brave and, apparently, the stupid and gullible. Satirist Leland Gregory teaches us a lesson in historical hilarity with "Stupid American History."

From Columbus to George W. Bush (that's a lot of material, people), Leland leads us through American history's mythconceptions, exposing idiocy and inanity along the time line. He reeducates by informin
Published April 21st 2009 by Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC (first published 2009)

Sean O'Hara
Dec 22, 2010 Sean O'Hara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-american
Gregory's previous book, Stupid History ws so much fun to nitpick that when I saw this one listed as free on KindleIQ I decided to pick it up. To his credit, Gregory's research has improved so there are far fewer falsehoods, and he even cites sources occasionally. However, the number of errors in the book remains attrocious.

* He claims the phrase "a more perfect union" is bad grammar since nothing can be better than perfect, ignoring the obvious interpretation of the phrase as "closer to perfect
Michael
This seems like a compilation of historical factoids previously printed on the back of Leinenkugel beer coasters. Not that there’s necessarily anything wrong with that – I loves me some beer after all – and it’s a somewhat enjoyable read on my phone within the context of a crowded bus. It’s chock-full of interesting counter-logical stories, swipes at politicians old and more recently old, and goofy, cartoon figures of satirical genre that punctuate the book in apparently nonsensical order.

It’s
Trisha
Jan 07, 2011 Trisha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, but very repetitive and contradictory. As a History major, I thought I would enjoy this book, but I found Gregory's attempts at cheekiness annoying. I would only suggest this book if you need something to read, but don't have the time or are in the right surroundings to devote your brain to a real book.
Don
Jan 03, 2011 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I received a Kindle for Christmas, and I picked this book to be the first to read on it because it was a free e-book and and it was fairly short - the decision had more to do with testing out the Kindle than actually choosing this book to read. It was a quick read, as the book consists of a myriad of weird, trivia like facts regarding American history. The frustrating part about the book is that for some of its information, there are no footnotes, no citation to any sources, which I think is unf ...more
Ava C
Did you know that Martin Van Buren's first language was not English, but Dutch?

Or that The Poseidon Adventure, a movie about passengers trying to stay alive after their ocean liner capsized, was being played on the Titanic 40 minutes before it sunk?

Or how about the fact that Heinz ketchup actually has over 60 varieties, but H J Heinz thought the number 7 was lucky, so he changed the label to 57 varieties?

Aimeslee
May 25, 2015 Aimeslee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unless you just have to read words to stay sane (like on a trip or if the electricity goes off), I would not recommend this to anyone. It left me saying "meh!". It was mildly entertaining at first, but that did not last long. Then, when he wrote that Jimmy Carter was the first Southern president since Reconstruction, I was like, who was LBJ, chopped liver? Sorry, just could not trust another word after that. Plus, I'm no fan of Dubya, but this author lets his dislike/ridicule show slightly and t ...more
Unitaga
Feb 02, 2015 Unitaga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stupid American History was about as interesting as a history book can get. I found some of the facts fascinating, while others I laughed at. My favorite kinds were the ones that I had to wonder why people knew them. For example: a women was shot in the stomach with an arrow. It would have punctured an important organ and killed her, but her corset blocked it and she escaped with only a bruise. I would recommend this book to anyone who is reluctant to read about history and like to laugh.Another ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 28, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about aspects of American History which are little known, or which are well known but totally false. There's loads of fascinating facts in the book. A few things I found really interesting:

1. Where the term record 'album' actually comes from.

2. The Mickey Mouse cartoon that was banned in 1932 in Ohio.

3. When it was actually illegal to hold a religious marriage.

4. The major communist who worked first for the New York Tribune.

5. Hitler was named man of the year for 1938 by Time maga
Mike Jensen
Lighthearted, perfect for toilet reading book that purports to correct commonly believed falsehoods about American history, such as George Washington cutting down a cherry tree. The main problem is that its single paragraph hit and run format leaves unanswered questions, most often the source for the true version. OK, we should not believe the legend, but why believe the "truth" when the author sometimes does not do the spade work to make the truth credible? This book is fun for what it is, but ...more
Kelly
Oct 14, 2013 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"Move over Colbert and Stewart" – are they serious!?

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review through Library Thing's Early Reviewer program.)

I requested a copy of STUPID AMERICAN HISTORY through Library Thing's Early Reviewer program. Based on the book's description, I was hoping that it might be a hybrid of James Loewen's classic, LIES MY TEACHER TOLD ME, and The Daily Show's satirical American history "textbook," AMERICA: THE BOOK. Unfortunately, STUPID AMERICAN HISTOR
Paul Pessolano
This is a fast, easy, entertaining, informative, and fun read. It is well suited to education and those who really want to know the truth about history. Gregory gives the reader a different slant on our history and will dispel the history that was taught to us.

The best way for me to give you a feeling for the book is to show you a few of the items from the book.

"The first motto that appeared on U.S. coins was not "In God We Trust", it was "Mind Your Own Business".

"President Lincoln had four brot
Amy
May 05, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Barbara Nelson
There are lots of fascinating tidbits in this book. Some of these include:

On September 11, 2002, the first anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, the numbers that popped up for the New York Lottery were 9-1-1. What were the chances of those three numbers coming up on the anniversary of the attacks in the same city in which the attacks took place? Read the book to find out!

The First Real President: The first president to be born a citizen of the U.S. was number 8, Martin Van Buren. He
Andy Shuping
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

I received this book through Library Thing's book reviews. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I approached this book as what it appeared to be: a book of assorted trivia that wasn't taking itself to seriously. This book is by no means a history book and is probably best used for trivial pursuit or just for tossing random facts into conversations, but that's ok. It succeeds at what it's supposed to be, a light entertaining read.

The book pr
Eric Bauman
I read this on the Kindle. I think I got it for free or nearly free. While my Nook was down (long story), I needed something to read since all of my physical books were packed in boxes for the move.

The book is a series of one- and two-page stories about figures and incidents in American history. I found that a lot of stories tended to be about the same figures (Benedict Arnold gets mentioned quite a few times). Also, quite a few of them were not all that interesting—some even seemed to be merely
steven zisk
Jul 17, 2014 steven zisk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kind of book. Easy read, and a page Turner.

My kind of book. Easy read, and a page Turner.

this book is my type of read. five stars. it's fun and makes no pretensions. facts are facts. most of it is a bit inane, but entertaining, although your life and outlook on history won't change much, it's fun to read.
Steven
Cookav
Did you know that Martin Van Buren's first language was not English, but Dutch?

Other random facts and funny bits of history that are rarely mentioned are found in Stupid A
Alta
"Stupid" is the right word for some of the information in here. Some facts were interesting and enlightening. Others, I wish I didn't know (crude). Easy to jump to the next tidbit because of the format. I wish some information was condensed to one page or area. Information relating to the same event or person being scattered about the book is a little too random.
Scott
Dec 08, 2015 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An amusing effort to counter some of the myths and falsehoods in the popular conception of American history, this book is itself riddled with biases and inaccuracies. A quick, diverting read--but if you're looking for something more scholarly or intellectual, you'd better check the title again...
Pamela D
I have read a couple of these stupid history books by Leland Gregory, and I always enjoy them. They are free fairly regularly on Amazon. This book was full of entertaining facts about US history and our presidents. His political colors do pop up every once and a while even when it is not relevant to the fun fact (e.g., just making fun of George W Bush without an entertaining fact to back it up).

My one concern with these books is that Leland Gregory does not cite his sources for his facts. I am
Mark Deierlein
Simple Read of odd factoids

Simple Read of odd factoids

the factoids are many, the variety of unique insights into accepted pieces of history makes you rethink your perception of history
Ann
Jul 13, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Nothing shocking to anyone who knows American history, but still entertaining. I enjoyed it. Some of it was funny and maybe little bit irreverent.
Chuck Bedgood
Dec 27, 2014 Chuck Bedgood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Fun to read these short snippets of history.
Although there is no way to verify any of the information, it is still an entertaining read.
Pretty good so far but could have been better. Two times he asks a question and never provides an answer, like why Paul Revere is remembered for his midnight ride even though he was captured by the British and only rode 19 miles but not Israel Bissell, who actually rode 345 miles? (The answer is that the poem "The midnight ride of paul revere" was written by Longfellow whose family had a connection to Revere.) Also mentions how Wall Street in New York got it's name but declines to mention that B ...more
Dee brown
Oct 14, 2014 Dee brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was witty, and sometimes actually pretty funny. I did learn a few things. If you have a free afternoon, I recommend this just for pure silliness.
Suzanne
Jun 29, 2014 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book had some interesting stories and information, but quite a few of the things he referred to as widely accepted or common misconceptions were things I've never heard. I do question the accuracy of some of the information and no sources were cited. The bigger issue I have is the mocking tone of some of the authors comments. I enjoy the sort of obscure history; I don't care for his political commentary.
Kassie
Mar 30, 2014 Kassie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on the train. It's a quick read, I did enjoy the historical tidbits here and here. But it wasn't very engaging.
Amanda
Aug 17, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm assuming Mr. Gregory has his facts straight about the myths and stupidity of America. This little book is full of trivia that you just never knew. Such as when JFK was assassinated, it wasn't a federal felony to kill a president. You have to wonder why?!?!

When the Titanic hit the iceberg the night of April 14th, most of the travelers were watching....The Poseiden Adventure...about a ship capsizing. Irony, no?

This book covers the beginning of America to fairly current political history (even
Carie L
Jun 13, 2015 Carie L rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
a couple of interesting tidbits, but other than that, disorganized, repetitive, and too short.
Joanna
Jan 16, 2015 Joanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A toilet book that I read cover to cover. I do not recommend reading it the way I did, but there are definitely some interesting tidbits here.
Lisa
Mar 13, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and informative
  • How to Drink
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • The Tale of a Boy, an Elf, and a Very Stinky Fish (Jackson Jones #1)
  • City of Dust: Illness, Arrogance, and 9/11
  • Cybill Disobedience: How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • Stories Behind the Best-Loved Songs of Christmas
  • The Slackers Guide to U.S. History: The Bare Minimum on Discovering America, the Boston Tea Party, the California Gold Rush, and Lots of Other Stuff Dead White Guys Did
  • Norse Warfare: The Unconventional Battle Strategies of the Ancient Vikings
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Irish History: The People, Places, Culture, and Tradition of the Emerald Isle (101 Things You Didnt Know Abt)
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • Remember Why You Play
  • The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature: The Traditions in English
  • True Stories of Crime from the District Attorney's Office
  • Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)
  • The Feckin' Book of Everything Irish: A Gansey-Load of Deadly Craic for Cute Hoors and Bowsies