Start by marking “Daddy Adventure Day” as Want to Read:
Daddy Adventure Day

Daddy Adventure Day

If you're a father-or a child-there is no better way to spend a day than on a Daddy Adventure Day. And there's no better way to spend a Daddy Adventure Day than going to a ball game. Because while there are humongous cheering crowds, fun foods, presents, and home run celebrations, here is the best part: time spent between a father and his child. That's the best gift of all ...more
Published March 17th 2011 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Daddy Adventure Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy Adventure Day

Melanie
Cute story of a boy who's excited about "Daddy Adventure Day!" He wake his father way too early in the morning, thumps baseballs down the stairs and hides his paper so he can't read it. When they finally leave for the game, the boy is so excited he spills hot chocolate all over his dads' pants. But they finally make it to the game. Dad buys the little boy a hat, teddy bear with baseball glove and flag on a stick. The baseball arena is overwhelming for the young boy, but he takes it in slowly and ...more
Melissa
Stuff I like: The boy's face when he sees the ballfield for the first time...yes it is that huge! And I liked how the ballgame stayed in the kid's perspective: the uniform colors were more important than the team names, he has no clue when the home team scored, and screaming in the crowd is as much fun as actually watching the game. And I do like seeing daddies in picture books.

But I never really settled into the book. The daddy goes back and forth between looking cranky and beleaguered and smi
L13_brian_mihovilovich
Feb 18, 2013 L13_brian_mihovilovich rated it it was amazing
'Daddy Adventure Day' is a lovely story about a little boy that is going to a ball game with his dad. It talks about all the different things that you would experience going to a game from waking up to coming home. It covers things all kids would experience at the games such as the national anthem, getting a ball from a player, to eating the good food at the concession stands. This book really can show the bonds between a father and sun.

This is an exceptionally good book for young children becau
Candice
Nov 12, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
A little boy's first trip to a baseball game with his father. The boy is so excited that he gets up very early! And soon the fun begins. I liked the story of the closeness between father and son. The illustrations portrayed very clearly the feelings of the father - happy yet sometimes exhausted by his exuberant son. I was a bit unhappy with the little boy's reaction when he spilled hot chocolate and then root beer on his father's pants. No apologies, just a "'Nobody will even notice'" and a rath ...more
Stefani
Mar 29, 2011 Stefani rated it liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Sweet story of a dad who takes his son to a baseball game. A nice message I think kids and parents would enjoy.

My only issue is that the book felt uneven. Through most of it, the boy is obviously young and naive, sticking to the rules of Daddy Adventure Day. But then when he learns the names of the foul ball, he seems offended by that name. What kid would think that? It just felt out of place. Further, I personally was not a fan of the illustrations, but I think that's a preference thing.

Still,
Taylor Troncin
Jun 18, 2013 Taylor Troncin rated it really liked it
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

Wesley had picked this book out specifically for his dad to read to him.
***

This was a really good book for Wesley and his dad to read together!
Carol
Mar 11, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok
Liked: Sue Rama's colorful, energetic illustrations, the theme of the book - time alone with dad, and the comparison between seeing the game in person and watching it on TV.
Not so crazy about the distracting emphasis on stuff.
Wondered about: the Dad who was distracted with stuff and his failure to instruct his son in manners, such as thanking strangers for gifts.
Serina
Jul 02, 2012 Serina rated it it was ok
Ugh, how can a dad get upset with a kid for making a mess. thats part of the territory. that irratated me so much i couldnt enjoy rest of book. not a good role model book for how fathers should interact with sons.
Garren
Apr 05, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
A sweet book about a dad taking his kid off on a full day adventure (giving his wife a full day off from both of them too).
Donald
Jan 14, 2012 Donald rated it it was amazing
Awesome! The daddy looks like me, needs coffee like me, reads the newspaper like me, and loves baseball like me! And it appears he lives in the S.F. Bay Area like me too! Loved it!!!
Polly
Jun 02, 2011 Polly rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Very cute, and pretty realistic--I remember outings like this with my dad, albeit not to baseball games!
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2011
Stephanie Phares
Stephanie Phares rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Megan Jensen
Megan Jensen rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Bambi Pea
Bambi Pea rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
May 12, 2011
Katie Fitzgerald
No review.
Kristina
Kristina rated it did not like it
Dec 29, 2012
Barnak
Barnak rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Julie Tripp
Julie Tripp rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Lorie
Lorie rated it liked it
May 24, 2011
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Krista
Krista rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2011
John Terreri
John Terreri rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2011
199026
After spending so much time reading books to my three kids, I decided I'd try my hand at children's books. It's been a blast. I've visited schools all over the country. I've talked to thousands of kids about writing, illustrating, and using your imagination. And I've received tons of incredible letters and emails from parents, kids and teachers from just about everywhere.

I am the author of the Jo
More about Dave Keane...