Start by marking “Wes Craven: The Man and his Nightmares” as Want to Read:
Wes Craven: The Man and his Nightmares

Wes Craven: The Man and his Nightmares

The life and film genius of A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream director Wes CravenWes Craven is one of the most successful and iconic horror movie directors in Hollywood. His masterful examination of the nightmarish nexus of dreams and reality helped spark a career that has spanned close to forty years. Then, with their mix of horror, sex, and humor, Craven's Scream movi ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Wiley (first published February 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wes Craven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wes Craven

Brian Joynt
Mar 02, 2017 Brian Joynt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, simple bio for Wes, centered around his filmmaking career and the various inspirations that brought particular ideas out of the dark and into the theaters. There's not a lot of depth here, but it's an enjoyable recap for fans of the late master. John Kenneth Muir was quoted a lot, which has roused my interest in his book on Craven. I've read other film critique from Muir; he's a true horror archivist and a definitive scholar of the medium.
Frank Terry
I started this weekend off with a series of goals. As the weekend has developed, a part of those goals has turned into finishing two books tonight.

I bought this book a year ago and read it pretty regularly until right about the time iOS 7 came out, which more or less totally crashed the Kobo app I read my e-book copy on.

Then, after spending hours reading just twenty or thirty pages each night of that book I just finished on Arabic science, I really, really realized that with books I could gras
Christian Blanchard
Nov 16, 2016 Christian Blanchard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collection
"I've always admired his career. I've always admired Wes's intelligence. He's sort of the professor of horror." - Tony Timpone

Those words reflect my feelings about Wes Craven.

The year was 2011. Scream 4 had just been released. Imagine how excited little 10-year-old Christian was. He was so excited to go see it. Unfortunately, his parents wouldn't let him see it. Imagine the feeling Christian got when he received the film on DVD that Christmas. The smile lighting up his face, the joy he felt.

Th
Jaimie
Feb 19, 2011 Jaimie rated it it was amazing
Wes Craven is my favourite director of all time! Not just in the horror genre, but all 'round. His movies terrified me when I was very young, especially Scream which is now my favourite movie. Many movie fans if asked "who's your favourite director" would probably say the likes of Steven Spielberg or James Cameron, but not me. Craven has an edginess in his films and he likes to take them a step further. His first movie in which he wrote, directed and edited - The Last House on the Left - is a gr ...more
Scott Johnson
May 26, 2011 Scott Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chances are, if you're reading this site, you know who Wes Craven is. If you don't, you've probably stumbled onto this site by mistake. Either way, the man responsible for bringing Freddy Krueger and the Ghost-Face killer to the big screen is the subject of a new biography by John Wooley, Wes Craven: The Man and His Nightmares.

Starting from Craven's childhood in a rabidly fundamentalist Christian household, Wooley traces his career from his earliest days as a messenger and director of skin flick
Alex G
Nov 03, 2015 Alex G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting read on Wes Cravens life and reasoning behind his most horrific films. I remember watching "The Last House on the Left" and wondering what sparked the idea to create a completely new take on a horror film. Interestingly, Craven was handed the film and hired as the director, but he made it into an outstanding piece of work, despite it's adult/grotesque content. Everything in this film makes a point and causes us to question how far we would go to seek revenge in an em ...more
Shelby Lyons
Although I enjoyed reading about Wes Craven (he is one of my all time favorite directors, and such an interesting human being), this biography was kind of flat. There was an slight focus on how his films were perceived, but I feel as though that aspect of it, being one of the core focuses of this book, simply skimmed the surface. I would have liked to see some analysis... something more, I suppose, on why his films were so impactful, other than the fact that he was depicting violence in a very r ...more
Spenser Barranco
Plenty of interesting moments here, but this book could've went a lot deeper with Craven's life and filmography. It felt as if I was reading an extremely long magazine article instead of a biography, not to mention it did tend to dwell too much on Craven's lesser known films and barely touched on the ones that he's most known for. If you want to know more of Craven's smaller films, then you might like it. But if you want to know the intimate details of Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream, you're ...more
Jackson Highfill
This book tells the story of infamous director Wes craven. You may know him for directing movies such as nightmare on elm street , last house on the left and the hills have eyes. I enjoyed this book because I don't read too much non fiction. In this book Wes talks about growing up in a strict religious family in Cleveland and how he got interested in film and made such controversial films like last house on the left. I would suggest reading this book mostly to fans of Wes craven films.
Matthew
Aug 07, 2012 Matthew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies-horror
A good overview of Wes Craven's career, containing some information that I had not been aware of, particularly in the area of projects that never came to fruition. As a Craven fan, I did wish for more detail and more depth, but overall this hits the main events and is a good overview. The writing is very simple and straightforward, perhaps overly so on occasion. This did make me wish for a Wes Craven autobiography at some point.
Jonathan
Dec 07, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This man is one of my heroes. Hell, he's one of the people who got me interested in film. So, I'm always willing to learn more about the man. This biography offers a lot of both parallel industry information, personal information, and professional information that helps put Wes Craven's work into a clear and cohesive context.
Oliver Clarke
This isn't loaded with jaw dropping insights. It has a bit less biography than I would have liked and the film criticism, while solid, isn't groundbreaking; but it's still and entertaining and interesting read for fans of Craven or the horror genre.
Blackcatmoon66
Jan 08, 2013 Blackcatmoon66 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite directors. The Nightmare on Elm Street series is my all time favorite horror series. I loved learning about his life and career while learning where he got ideas for his film. The man is a gem.
Tapz
Nov 11, 2015 Tapz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dive into the creator of Krueger!!

A very insightful glimpse into the world of Freddy's creator... I loved it!! If you are a true Craven, Freddy, or horror movie fan, this is a must read!!
E. T. Brother
Apr 19, 2015 E. T. Brother rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book, very interesting, Wes was the man.
Theresa Chapman
Nov 24, 2015 Theresa Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wes Craven was who gave me my love for horror. Getting to read and learn where many of my favorite movies came from, is a great insight to the master of his mind.
Thaydra
Dec 02, 2015 Thaydra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
More lightweight than I was expecting, which was a pleasant surprise. Having not known much of Mr. Craven's career, it was an insightful look into the mind of the man.
Jeremy Morrison
Jeremy Morrison rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Shane Whitney
Shane Whitney rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Charles Michaels
Charles Michaels rated it liked it
May 26, 2011
Sammy
Sammy rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2012
Melissa Frolich
Melissa Frolich rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Donovan
Donovan rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
sherry
sherry rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2017
Momjulia
Momjulia rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Aaron Dries
Aaron Dries rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Parker Macgowan
Parker Macgowan rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015