Start by marking “Sons of the Great Satan” as Want to Read:
Sons of the Great Satan

Sons of the Great Satan

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When American teenager Joey Andrews and his family arrive in Tehran, Iran in 1976 they find an expatriate paradise within one of the world's oldest civilizations. Through the bold and imperious leadership of Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, this ancient land is thrust into the modern age bringing great progress to some and seething resentment to others. It is the twilight of an...more
Published (first published February 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sons of the Great Satan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sons of the Great Satan

M.B. Daugherty
May 16, 2011 M.B. Daugherty rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults
This story will give the average reader a different perspective on living in Iran, 1976, when an empire began to crumble. Steeped with cultural situations and politics, the story plays out through two youth, an American, Joey, and a native of the land, Farhad Zadeh. In a world filled with of chaos and rebel activity, these teens will have to deal with coming of age in a land that is ancient in traditional beliefs and filled with violence.

Robert’s work is a historical fiction novel but the timing...more
Wen
A unique coming of age story, based on historical events during the Iranian revolution of the 1970’s. Sons of the Great Satan relates those times through several points of view, and gives insight into the hearts and minds of the sides involved. It offers an explanation of why events unfolded as they did. Joey experiences first hand the terrors of a nation in revolt and religious upheaval. Exciting, shocking, appalling, hilarious and heart wrenching, this book is one that will stay with me.
Andrew
Jun 05, 2011 Andrew added it
To be totally honest,I thought it was one of the best books I have read in such a long time.Such an incredible journey.I read a lot,but this just transported me to another place.More....write more!!!!!!
Paula Gardner
The story told in Sons Of The Great Satan is a wonderfully written page turner. I hated to put it down to either sleep or eat. This is a book that you will want to read again and again. It takes place in Tehran, Iran prior to the American Hostage Crises. It is a story of American teens and their families. This book, for me, was an emotional journey. I laughted out loud at the antics. I cried with the characters as they cried especially during the patriotic and heroic moments. Sons Of The Great S...more
Mark Morrison
While sometimes crass and irreverant, it is a very accurate depiction of life as a teenager in Iran at the end of the Shah's reign. Without that crassness and irreverance, it would not be a historically significant piece.

Anthony wrote this from an eyewitness viewpoint and was successful in capturing the emotion not only of the Iranian people, but also those of the American teenagers that were profoundly impacted during those long months prior to the revolution.
liirogue
I really enjoyed this. It's an unusual perspective and it works really well. It could use a little editing, but it's a great story set in a time that's not usually written about.
Glen Coburn
A great read for anyone. Very nicely done. The story focuses on well drawn characters. The backdrop is the Iranian revolution. I have a much clearer perspective on that time and place without having drudged through the dry reporting of an academic history lesson. I'm look forward to reading more books by Anthony Roberts.
Anthony Roberts
Jan 19, 2014 Anthony Roberts rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I love it, of course. I wrote it. Inspired by my teen years as an American expat living in Tehran, Iran from 1975 to 1978.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Pam
Pam added it
May 02, 2014
Cyndy
Cyndy is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Susan Plue
Susan Plue marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Iroulito91
Iroulito91 marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Thota
Thota added it
Feb 25, 2013
Ingrid Schwingenheuer
Ingrid Schwingenheuer marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Farzin Fathimoghaddam
Farzin Fathimoghaddam marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
Hazza
Hazza marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
I was born in a small farm town in Kansas of Native American and Irish American parents. It was all very ‘Ward and June’ until we moved to Saudi Arabia in 1971. I lived for two years in sweltering heat of Al Khobar and then another three on the high and dry plains of At Taif, where King Faisal had his summer residence; the same King Faisal that was assassinated on his birthday by one of his many n...more
More about Anthony Roberts...