Start by marking “John Gabriel Borkman” as Want to Read:
John Gabriel Borkman

John Gabriel Borkman

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  15 reviews
General Books publication date: 2009 Original publication date: 1897 Original Publisher: William Heinemann Subjects: Drama / General Drama / English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh Drama / Continental European Foreign Language Study / German Literary Criticism / European / Scandinavian Literary Criticism / Drama Notes: This is an OCR reprint. There may be typos or missing text. Th ...more
Published December 21st 2009 by General Books (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about John Gabriel Borkman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Gabriel Borkman

Rolls
This is a huge haunted mansion of a play. The ghosts do not know they are dead though which undoubtedly makes their howling that much more fiendish! I loved this play. It set my soul racing the way listening to Beethoven or watching Gossip Girl does!
Realini
John Gabriel Borkman by Henrik Ibsen
The Will to Power

I had not been so fond of Ibsen even before I have read the excellent The Intellectuals by Paul Johnson. But after reading that book, my aversion grew.
Ibsen was not a nice man, in fact he was even cruel and mean towards his own family- even what he recognized as such did not include children born out of wedlock.
For a professional, qualified assessment of Ibsen and any other writer, you should read good, scholarly criticism, for I and probably
Matthew
With John Gabriel Borkman, we once again see Ibsen revisit and revise an earlier play. The plot reprises that of The Pillars of Society. Once again, we have a wealthy and idealistic businessman who sacrifices love and ethics to his dream, only to face the consequences.

There are a number of significant differences, however. Where The Pillars of Society had a rich gallery of supporting characters, John Gabriel Borkman is pared down to only the essential characters. Where Karsten Bernick is able to
Ben
I would actually give this 3.5 stars -- 4 is a bit too high and 3, too low. It is, as with many of Ibsen's plays, still very relevant today, asking important social questions about love and greed, duty to one's parents (and how this may be complicated by other factors) versus duty to one's own self and one's happiness, and of friendship and duty to one's spouse.

The character Foldal has some of the best lines in this play, and the most illuminating one for me was when he says "For I myself have
Steffi
Ich habe das Stück als Vorbereitung auf einen Theaterbesuch heute abend gelesen und war ungewöhnlich fasziniert. Eigentlich lese ich Stücke nicht so gern, aber dieses war fesselnd und ungewöhnlich aktuell. Die Titelfigur spekulierte mit Geld, das ihr nicht gehörte, musste ins Gefängnis, trieb viele Anleger ins finanzielle Unglück und seine Familie ins gesellschaftliche Aus. Er und seine Frau reagieren dabei ungewöhnlich egoistisch - sehen nur das eigene Leid und nicht das durch dieses Verhalten ...more
Chiek Er
A dead man and two shadows

Tragic as it may be, it is another beautiful play by Ibsen. Powerful in its messages as are all Ibsen´s plays, the audience are forced to reflect on their own lives to see the mirror images of ourselves. Though it took about 3 hours to read the play, it felt like a lifetime as we followed the life of the coal miner´s son John Gabriel Borkman and the lives of people dear to him.
Jwee Chiek
Society has changed dramatically over the last 150years with values becoming less conservative and women taking on a more prominent role as bread winners. Ibsen´s plays, however, have remained timeless and relevant because the themes of the human spirit, ambition, need for love and dignitiy are timeless.
One important thing to realize about Ibsen is that he liked to rework old plots into new stories.

John Gabriel Borkman is roughly similar to Pillars of Society, but the outcomes of the characters are vastly different. While Karsten somewhat escapes his accusations, Borkman is forced to live with it in jail and in confinement in his own salon. Obviously, Borkman is in for a worse ending (although the ending is more thought through and way better than the end of Pillars of Society, believe me).

I th
Besarta
This play focuses on the effect that the man's eagerness for power has in his life and in the life of people around him. John Gabriel Borkman sacrificed love for power and money and ended up with none of them. His ego brought an emotional and psychological devastation to him and to his most beloved people. Ibsen got inspired by a court-case against a senior officer who was found guilty of fraud and committed to prison with hard labour for four years. After his years in prison he cut himself off ...more
Chiek Er
We fall down many times in our life time. But just like John Gabriel Borkman, one must pick oneself up to try and try again.
Jc Er
A beautiful play about John Gabriel Borkman and his two shadows (the twin sisters) who loved him.
瑞傑 余
悲劇。 雙胞胎愛上同一個男人。
Lesleygrossberg
i was devastated to miss out on this while it was at BAM, but read the play as a consolation. haunting, tragic, evocative. a quick read (free on google books)-- the pace as quick as the horse-drawn sleigh that runs over Frida's father, and a contrast to the sense of the length of Borkman's separation from his family and society (eventually self-imposed).
Stine
This story was to much stuck in tha past for me. To many practical things that are there because of that time. E.g the role of a bankman in the socity. Regarding the role of Erhart, the son, I don't really see how he is exiting the story adds a good point.
Eric
Incredibly incisive, insightful drama or insufferably inward Ibsenian inanity? I can't to see what 3 world class actors make of this at BAM next week.
Miles
Miles marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Antonis
Antonis marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
  • The Lover
  • Woyzeck / Leonce und Lena
  • The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone
  • The Duchess of Malfi and Other Plays
Henrik Johan Ibsen was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama." Ibsen is held to be the greatest of Norwegian authors and one of the most important playwrights of all time, celebrated as a national symbol by Norwegians.

His plays were considered scandalous to many of his era, when Victorian valu
More about Henrik Ibsen...
A Doll's House Hedda Gabler Ghosts Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder An Enemy of the People

“Nicht Mord. Nicht Diebstahl, Raub oder nächtlicher Einbruch – auch Meineid nicht. Denn das alles sind ja Dinge, die man meist Leuten antut, die man haßt oder die einem gleichgültig sind und einen nichts angehen. […] Das Infamste von allem – das ist, wenn der Freund das Vertrauen des Freundes missbraucht.” 3 likes
“Borkman: Dann haben wir uns gegenseitig etwas vorgemacht. Und uns selber haben wir vielleicht auch etwas vorgemacht – beide.
Foldal: Ja, John Gabriel, aber ist das denn nicht im Grunde das Wesen der Freundschaft?
Borkman (lächelt bitter): Doch, doch, lügen und betrügen – das ist Freundschaft. Da hast du recht. Diese Erfahrung habe ich schon einmal in meinem Leben gemacht.”
1 likes