His Mistress by Christmas

His Mistress by Christmas (Sinful Family Secrets #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  746 ratings  ·  96 reviews
For three years, Lady Veronica Smithson has been perfectly happy as a widow --- and thoroughly independent. Still, the right gentleman could provide the benefits of marriage without the tedious restrictions. And in Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, renowned explorer and rogue, Veronica is sure she has found him.

Sebastian will come into his inheritance in a matter of weeks ---...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Kensington

A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa KleypasChristmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa KleypasBy Proxy by Katy RegneryA Virgin River Christmas by Robyn CarrThe Christmas Wish by Katy Regnery
Best Seasonal Romance {Christmas, Winter}
79th out of 483 books — 609 voters
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
283rd out of 723 books — 3,053 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura the Highland Hussy
This was a fun, quick read that had me smiling throughout the whole book.

Veronica is happy as a widow, but one who misses having a man in her bed. So she decides to take a lover. She doesn’t want a husband, though, as she enjoys her freedom and control over her own life. As she attends a lecture of her dear friend’s cousin, she sees the man she wants. He is brilliant, attractive, and has the reputation of being quite the rake. He's perfect for her.

Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater can’t take his ey...more
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

Looking for angst? Looking for brooding characters who have a hard time letting themselves be happy? Looking for a shy heroine who hasn’t enjoyed sex to date and needs to be shown the power of the mighty orgasm? If you answered yes to any of those, it’s probably best to keep on walking, because this book is completely unlike any of those things. It is light and happy and is filled with farcical situations that had me laughing out loud. I know that whenever I pick up an Alexander there...more
Kimba
4.5
Author Victoria Alexander delighted me with this tale, its colorful characters, humor and twists. I quickly consumed this and closed the book with a smile. This is the perfect Regency romance to get you in the mood for the holidays.

The tale begins when we meet the widowed Lady Veronica Smithson. She and her friend Portia are watching a speech presented by the dashingly handsome Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater. He is a renowned explorer, published writer and a reported rogue. While Veronica is...more
Susan
What a fun book. Both Veronica and Sebastian find themselves at crossroads in their lives. They meet at the intersection and decide that they'd like to continue together. The problem is that they are looking down different roads. Both of them are accustomed to getting what they want and seeing them each try to convince the other makes for a really fun time.

Veronica has been a widow for three years. She had loved her husband and they had a good life together, but she's ready to move on. She's got...more
Lisa Kay
Victorian Christmas II, by Thomas Kincaid
Photobucket

★★★★½ Yes, yes! I know Christmas is over with; nonetheless, I put this audiobook on request at the public library and didn’t receive it until after the holiday. So, I stayed up on New Year’s working on all my lovely new 2012 challenges and – lo and behold – I’m delighted to say I’ve found a charming new author! I’m pretty sure I tried one of her books before and it didn’t grab me, but Susan Duerden narrated this one to near perfection.

There is nothing ne...more
BJ Rose
I wavered between 3*/4* for a while, but finally decided that the premise of the love story moved it up for me - I love it when the guy knows he's in love & wants marriage, but has to convince the reluctant gal that it's really more than just lust for his beautiful body! And it includes a country house party, which I always like.
Tarra
Jan 31, 2013 Tarra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Very endearing and sweet romance. No big villains or complications, just a lovely, funny story about finding the greatest adventure of your life when you find someone you can truly love and trust.

I just noticed that this book is subtitled "Sinful Family Secrets." That is very misleading to me. Makes this book sound like there is something dark and sinister going on. Not the case. (Most people would probably not even consider the "secret" in the story to be that "sinful.") So if you're looking f...more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed By~Desere
Review Copy Provided By~Publisher

From one of the most brilliant historical authors of our time comes the tale of Lady Victoria and Sebastian, two people who each want and crave a little certain something in life and both will not stop to get it.

Lady Veronica wants to taste the forbidden passion she craves and still be seen as a true lady. However she does not bet on her target for passion being so forceful in getting what he wants. Sebastian does not back down.

The fun really st...more
Virginia
I am really enjoying Alexander's later historical romances! I find that compared to her earlier works, her writing has matured. Her humor, story lines, and characters have become far more developed, realistic, and fun. This story is no exception. Quite a farce, the two main characters are mature, with none of the histrionics I find endemic in romances, and the subplots and intrigues of various characters are vastly amusing.
Donna
This was a fun seasonal read, with a cast of wonderful characters, and minimal heartache. I'm a softie, and I dislike when the h/h are at odds for most of the book. Here, obstacles must be overcome, but never so much that they are estranged or fighting.

Looking forward to the others in this series!
Andrea Guy
Holiday historical romances are my absolute favorite type of book. When it comes to historicals you can't go wrong with Victoria Alexander either. Her characters are so wonderfully refreshing and colorful.

The story is one we've seen a variations of before, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining. Veronica and Sebastian are wonderful characters. (I'm a sucker for a hero named Sebastian) I love the reversal of roles here. It is usually the man who would prefer to have a mistress. But Veroni...more
Mason
Listening to HIS MISTRESS BY CHRISTMAS, I was caught in somewhat of a dilemma. I eagerly anticipated the next disc to have the story continue, but also dreaded it as it would bring me closer to the end.

This is a wonderful and charming story to get lost in. With brilliant descriptions and eloquent dialect, author Victoria Alexander transforms the reader (or listener) to 1885 England. With all the sights and sounds of the era, the reader can’t help but be immersed in the story.

Narration by Susan D...more
SidneyKay
Jessi
The second of three widowed friends finds her match in this book. Lady Veronica Smithsonhas been widowed for three years and she's decided that is long enough to wait for grand adventure; she's ready to take a lover. When her friend Poppy's cousin returns from gallivanting all over the globe, Veronica decides that he is the perfect man to take as her lover.
Hugh has a different idea however. He finds Veronica delectable but he's ready for respectability and marriage. Also, he has to prove to his...more
Lucy Dosch
Lady Smithson lost her beloved husband after years of blissful marriage. It has been three years now and Veronica is ready to move on. Since title and fortune are already hers, she does not wish to be saddled with a husband. Lady Smithton simply wants a lover.

Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater has returned home after years of travel to exotic locations. He has purchased an estate and is now ready to settle down and write his memoirs. That is until he meets Lady Smithson and his thoughts turn to havi...more
Kelsey
Veronica has a goal this Christmas. She is going to find a man to be her lover, NOT her husband. After being a widow she misses having that comfort of a warm body in her bed. What she doesn’t want is to be controlled so she has decided not to marry again. Her sights are set on Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, an explorer who has a bit of a reputation with the woman. He is perfect for her.

Sebastian, who has traveled all over the world is ready to settle down (little does Veronica know) and after me...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Lady Veronica Smithson is a widow, independent and outspoken. While never courting scandal outright or deliberately throwing conventions to the wind, she does like to do her own thing and isn’t afraid to pursue her ambitions. After being widowed for three years she’s tired of being alone and, with no desire to remarry and give up her independence, decides to be a mistress to a suitable man.

Enter Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, single gentleman, rogue and explorer who seems perfect for her purpos...more
Deanne
When I was browsing at Victoria Alexander's website I came across the book trailer for His Christmas by Christmas , and after watching the short book teaser I was intrigued to read the book especially since I enjoy reading Christmas themed historical romance novels

So when I saw the book in the bookshelves from my local library , I had no second thoughts grabbing the novels since I love reading Ms. Alexander's novels , I read the book summary and it just made all the more curious on the story I...more
Mackenzie
When Lady Veronica Smithson sees what she wants, there is very little to change her mind, especially when what she wants is to become explorer/adventurer Sir Sebastian Hadley-Atwater's mistress. A young widow, she wants a little adventure of her own.

Sir Sebastian comes from a large family. Traditions play a huge part and he feels, with his birthday coming up, that it is time for a change. Not only will he be in good standing to receive his father's inheritance, but he is ready to finally settle...more
Kathy Jund
This saucy, sexy and scandalous story by Victoria Alexander has all the makings of an extraordinary Regency Romance. Lady Veronica Smithson utters the words that set this high-spirited romance in motion barely stopping by the time you reach the end. Lady Smithson widowed for some time, known by all for her forward thinking, (which is not always in line with the popular set), now decides she wants a man in her life but is not willing to give up the independence she has enjoyed, (to the envy of ma...more
Pamela
Review courtesy of Romance Junkies (rated 3.5 Blue Ribbons):

Lady Veronica Smithson is missing something in her life, and she knows just what will help to fill that void. As a matter of fact, Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater is exactly what she needs. All Veronica has to do is convince him that he needs a mistress, and she is the woman for the job. At first, things seem to be going her way, but fairly soon Veronica sees her plans taking a turn she never would have expected.

Sebastian saw Veronica sta...more
Melanie Adkins

Lady Veronica Smithson has decided she wants to celebrate this Christmas a little differently. She wants to become Sir Sebastian Hadley- Attwater's mistress. Her best friend is Sir Hadley- Attwater's cousin, Portia, who introduces the two of them, in a way. Once Lady Smithson has seen this rogue and explorer speak, she's determined to convince him to take her as his mistress. She's been married and while that was pleasant enough, she's not ready to give up all the freedom being a widow allows....more
(Eirene) Sleepless Romantics
Widows? Check. Rakes? Check. Rake needs to marry to become respectable? Check. Widow loves her independence so no to marriage? Check. Angst? Ch– wait. There is absolutely no angst in this book. Huh. And this angst-lover loved every word of this book! I still can’t believe it but hey, I actually really liked this one.

This is my first Victoria Alexander book and I found it to be very enjoyable. This had me laughing a couple of pages in! Brilliant writing, awesome characters! I think I was a couple...more
Pam
Veronica Smithson has decided that she wants to be a mistress, and never a wife. She had been married, happily too, but since she was widowed a few years back and got a taste of true independence she refuses to let a man control anything about her life again. She sets her eyes on Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, her friend’s cousin, at a lecture he was speaking at and decides that she wants to be his mistress. Sebastian is an author and a world traveler. It is rumored that he has been with many women...more
April
HIS MISTRESS BY CHRISTMAS by Victoria Alexander is an interesting Christmas historical romance set in 1885 England. It has strong characters that will capture your heart. Lady Veronica Smithson,is a widow of three years,who is independent, and wants to become a mistress. Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater,is a reowned explorer and a rogue,who is looking for a wife. Lady Veronica looking to be a mistress and Sir Sebastian looking for a wife,meet and as they say "the rest is history". This is a fast pa...more
Johanna
His Mistress by Christmas
by Victoria Alexander

Genre: Historical Romance | Seasonal

For three years, Lady Veronica Smithson has been perfectly happy as a widow—and thoroughly independent. Still, the right gentleman could provide the benefits of marriage without the restrictions. And in Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, renowned explorer and rogue, Veronica is sure she has found him.

Sebastian will come into his inheritance in a matter of weeks-if his family deems him responsible enough. There’s no bet...more
Carla
In true Ms. Alexander style, you will find romance and humor within the pages. The likeability of characters, major and minor, the enjoyable situation/dilemma the characters face, and the nice outcome - bring this book together.

Lady Veronica Smithson is an independent woman. She values her independence and wealth. She also has no need for a husband, she had one -- but she finds herself in want of a man, not just any man, but, Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater. Sebastian is a world explorer, a writer...more
Meg
3.5 stars. Witty and fun. Young, widowed Lady Smithson does NOT want to get married again, but she misses....companionship. She decides she would like to be the mistress of Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater is an explorer, adventurer and a known rake. Lady Smithson decides he will do perfectly. Unfortunately, Sir Sebastian has reformed, and has marriage on his mind.
Addictive
His Mistress By Christmas did not really grip me at all the way I thought it would. Lady Veronica Smithson is a headstrong heroine who would like nothing better than to remain unmarried and delight in the arms of Sebastian Hadley-Attwater as his mistress, but Sebastian has just returned to England from far flung adventures and is at the point in his life where he needs a wife, not a mistress. And therein lies the conflict.
There was no real sexual tension in this book, no real emotion on either...more
Lynetta
This book carries a promise of much more than it deliveres. It builds on seduction but fails in its delivery. I did not like reading through so much dialogue . There was too much talk and not entertaining o ugh action. If there is a historical romance novel that falls short of my expectations, this is one.
Goodreads Librari...: REQUEST TO ADD BOOK 5 27 Jul 20, 2013 01:40PM
  • A Winter Scandal (St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • An Unexpected Gentleman
  • The Taming of the Rake (Blackthorn Brothers, #1)
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • A Christmas Bride / Christmas Beau
  • Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (Windham, #4) (The Duke's Daughters, #1)
  • A Historical Christmas Present
  • A Tale of Two Lovers (The Writing Girls, #2)
  • The Devilish Montague (Rebellious Sons, #2)
  • Season for Temptation (Holiday Pleasures, #1)
  • The Christmas Knight
  • The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1)
  • Kissing Comfort
  • One Week As Lovers (Huntington, #3)
  • A Bride Unveiled (The Bridal Pleasures #2)
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
  • Not Wicked Enough (Reforming the Scoundrels, #1)
  • In the Arms of a Marquess (Rogues of the Sea, #3)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,...more
More about Victoria Alexander...
The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1) A Little Bit Wicked (Last Man Standing, #1) What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2) The Husband List (Effingtons, #2) Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing, #4)

“I say seduce her, seduce her tonight. Break the door down if you have to. Tell her all those things you said to me about her. You will love her more tomorrow than today and how you want to die with her hand in yours–which is an excellent line, by the way, that I fully intend to borrow when the time comes.” 10 likes
“Her heart leapt, which made no sense at all. This was not to be an affair of the heart. There would be affection certainly, but nothing more. Apparently her heart wasn't aware of her plans. Odd, she'd never known it to be rebellious before.” 3 likes