Start by marking “Yellow Elephant: A Bright Bestiary” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Yellow Elephant: A Bri...

Julie Larios

Yellow Elephant: A Bright Bestiary

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Winner of the 2006 Boston Globe-Horm Book Honors Award, "Yellow Elephant: A Bright Bestiary" by Julie Larios. Beautiful poems with vibrant and powerful colors of imagination. Illustrated by Julie Paschkis, Korean translated by Shin Hyeong Geon. In Korean. Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published July 1st 2008 by Bomul Changgo/Tsai Fong Books (first published March 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Elephant

Samantha
This picture poetry book is for children ages 5-10. I think younger children will appreciate the focus on animals and colors right off the bat. As they grow up they may understand and appreciate the amazing adjectives used to describe the animals and their color. The poems are short and use color to capture the emotions of the animals. It is very easy to smile while reading this book.

I enjoyed the paintings. They were structured very interestingly in a box. They are not a typical landscape view
Amy Musser
This book is an illustrated collection of fourteen poems. Each poems features an animal of a different color from a red donkey to a turquoise lizard, a pink kitty to an orange giraffe. The non-rhyming poems use just enough words to bring each of these unique animals to life. Some poems are humorous, some thoughtful, some quiet, some joyful. Paschkis’ vivid and intricate illustrations are playful and bright. Use an individual poem for a single color storytime for younger kids or several poems for ...more
CH13_Kieran
This colorful picture book about a variety of animals is told in free verse poetry. This is a bestiary. Each set of pages provides an animal that is a particular color on the right hand side. On the left is a brief poem that describes the animal and all of their antics. This is a great book for preschool or kindergartners! It offers various animals which kids always love. It also presents an opportunity to review their colors while introducing them to poetry.

The artwork is bright and fanciful.
Destiny Dawn Long
Sometimes when I'm at the library I grab books that might be a little above my 2-year old's level, because I want to read them so much. This book was one of those instances. So, imagine my delight when she started to request it several times a day! I'm excited to have a child who enjoys poetry, even when it's free verse.

Then again, how could she not? This book is gorgeous. It has colorful, textured illustrations featuring a different animal on each page. And for each animal, there is also an aw
Brandelyn
Yellow Elephant is a lovely collection of poems for children ready to explore beyond Dr. Seuss. Simple in spirit, they introduce more advanced vocabulary and offer great conversation openers for kids.
Maritza
This is a children's book that is illustrated by one of my favorite artists: Julie Paschkis!
Deana
The beautiful illustrations caught my eye before the poetry pulled me in. However as soon as I read “Red Donkey” I was hooked, the humor in the pages as well as a childlike sensibility makes these poems eminently readable. The bright and evocative illustrations with fascinate younger children while the poems lend themselves to easy memorization. Paschkis’ choice of colors for each animal in the bright bestiary is unexpected but inspired. A red donkey that throws a red-hot temper tantrum, a yello ...more
Erika Donahue
Animal poetry! Beautiful pictures! Different colors featured with each animal!
Bright colorful illustrations accompany wonderful poetry, poetry with sounds and images that are perfect for each poem. A green frog which becomes blue in water, a red donkey, a tan lion, a black fish, and a gold finch are only a few of the animals included in this great poetry collection.
Magila
3.5

Very strong art with pretty good children's poetry. For poetry that doesn't rely upon rhyming for kids, this is really good. Overall, as either a picture book or poetry book, it's ok.

The Red Donkey poem was by far the best!

Borrow it from the library.
Sandy Brehl
Intricate, appealing illustrations pair with accessible, rhythmic poems to explore colors, sounds, and word play. Loads of detail and vocabulary in very few words/pages, and the animals are intriguing.
Lisa Papademetriou
Sophisticated yet playful poetry for a young audience. I was amazed at the wordplay and use of poetic elements. Each poem was a little gem, perfect for young readers. The illustrations were beautiful.
Kari
Poetry book with animals and colors as the theme. The word play is lively and whimsical and the illustrations are gorgeous.
Melanie
Clever poems with neat illustrations about colors and animals. Used for colors theme in preschool.
B
Great book! The art is amazing. My 2 year old loves anything with animals.
Steven Withrow
Great combination of vivid art and short, surprise-packed poems!
Kathryn
LOVED the illustrations, but found the poetry was lack-luster.
Skedatt
Colors are very bright and the poetry is unexpected.
Lisa
Terrific poetry for kids. Great illustrations.
Janovsky
Janovsky marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Pooja
Pooja added it
Jul 16, 2014
E
E added it
Jul 13, 2014
Ana Pachamama
Ana Pachamama marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Imaginary Menagerie: A Book of Curious Creatures Have You Ever Done That? Yellow Elephant: A Bright Bestiary (Boston Globe-Horn Book Honors (Awards)) Imaginary Menagerie: A Book of Curious Creatures