Start by marking “My Life in and out of the Rough: The Truth Behind All That Bull**** You Think You Know About Me” as Want to Read:

Ever since his astonishing victory in the 1991 PGA Championship, John Daly, known affectionately on the PGA Tour as "Big 'Un," has enthralled fans with his big drives, bigger personality, and "Grip It and Rip It" approach to golf -- and to life.

Long John, usually seen with a Marlboro Light dangling from his lip, is the unchained, unpredictable, unapologetic bad boy of prof
Hardcover
Published May 8th 2006 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about My Life in and out of the Rough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life in and out of the Rough

Samantha Cline
Once I adjusted to the sixth-grade writing level, this was a pretty enjoyable book. It amazed me to see such a huge amount of denial in one sentence, to be followed by gut level honesty. As a golfer and lover of the sport, there was always a level of intrigue concerning Daly's incredible talent and his embarrassing fall from grace- I can say after reading this brought new light to the man but didn't necessarily change any opinions.
Owen
Dec 16, 2011 Owen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book. It wasn't good. I'll quote from another review on here that summed it up quite nicely: "He writes like he golfs".
jope
Sep 09, 2009 jope rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
He writes like he plays golf.
Matt
Jul 24, 2011 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good. Not good at all. An easy read. But not good.
Kaliki
Such an easy read about a complicated guy. I really enjoyed it, but also came away from it thinking "huh?". This guy is clearly, CLEARLY an alcoholic, but completely denies it... even after, in his own words, a LOT of thought about it. Two stints in rehab, multiple trips to the ER to get his stomach pumped, destroying hotel rooms and his own home in a drunken rage. But no, he does not believe he was ever an alcoholic.

Ironically though, in every other way Daly is so self-aware. He discusses openl
Lydia
May 13, 2013 Lydia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Well...the ending is a little like the way I felt about Tebow's: blah. The most interesting things (for John Daly, the partying, for Tee-Bop, the not-football-game-monotonous-rehashing) came up front. They hooked you in and then let the ball drop like a pass in the endzone, like a drive into a deep bunker. What a letdown. Daly was at his most honest when it was really him writing, before his editor stepped in and said, "um, maybe you should put in something that shows what you've learned from al ...more
Liz
Jun 08, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: golf lovers
Recommended to Liz by: rick roens (neighbor), and chris (husband)
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
I learned a lot more about John Daly in this book. Stuff that happened many, many years ago that I never knew about. All his ex-wives, his drinking problems, gambling issues, and his golf game are discussed in detail in this book. I feel it is written how he speaks, and it makes for a fun read. To me he seemed like he fell for gorgeous women quickly and got married and divorced quickly as well. I really like how he helps out charities and how he helped out the two girls who father was struck by ...more
David Ward
My Life In and Out of the Rough: The Truth Behind All That Bull**** You Think You Know About Me by John Daly (Harper Entertainment 2006) (796.352). John Daly is a golfing gasbag. He's an alcoholic who puts it all on display on the PGA tour. This is not good for John Daly or for the sport of golf. Harper Entertainment has offered him a forum to tell his story, and he has used the opportunity to make excuses for his behavior, to justify his choice of women, and to explain why his problems are neve ...more
Ronald Wise
Jul 22, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it it was ok
A chance for pro golfer John Daly to explain himself and the past behavior that had tarnished his public image. It is written from the perspective of a celebrity who has aged, and in the process gained a more mature perspective on his life. I actually had no idea who he was beforehand — I reserved this book thinking he was the host of The Daily Show, later remembering that that guy is John Stewart. Nevertheless, it was interesting to have an inside view to pro golf and its participants. I learne ...more
Teresa
Jan 11, 2008 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Daly
I do not golf and never have. I have played putt putt a few times and enjoyed it. I have always been interested in John
Daly simply because of his crazy lifestyle. From this book I learned that Daly lived each day in self-indulgence. He did not know anything about not having something he wanted or not doing something he wanted to do. His life was an endless journey of drinking, gambling, smoking, womanizing, outrageous spending, and a little golf every now and then. The book also attempted to sh
Todd Janko
Oct 03, 2012 Todd Janko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto-biography
Back in the day, I was quite the golfer but never took interest in the pros until John Daly came along, because, well, he's crazy. This must be one of the most dysfunctional people on the earth. Who goes to Vegas and loses 20 million at the Wynn playing 5,000 slots? John Daly? Who shoots his father on accident? John Daly? Who's drunk and wins a tournament? John Daly. And who buys a house in Colorado only to tear it apart with his ex-wife? John Daly. It's a book of "what NOT to do" yet still be s ...more
Pat Cosgrove
Sep 05, 2014 Pat Cosgrove rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
I thought the book I read was very good. It discuss' all of John Daly's accomplishments, and all the troubles he went through. I would recommend this book, especially if you are into sports. It is very interesting to read about what some professional athletes go through, and how hard it is to become a professional athlete. Also, this book is an autobiography, so you can figure out the truth of what actually happened in his life, and not base it off of the other things you read or find on the int ...more
Gary Braham
Mar 14, 2012 Gary Braham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a while, I was interested in golf, and happened to read a review of this book in a golfing magazine some years ago. Ever since then, this has been on my to read list.

John Daly is an interesting person, between his golfing ability, and his personality, there's a lot to cover. This is a successful autobiography because John Daly is so honest about himself and his life. We get to experience every triumph, plus all the heartache in between.
Pat Murphy
A pretty good book about golf life. I have to say that Daly tries to get the reader to sympathize with his rough around the edges life style and it's consequences but I just can't. I think it's because golf to me is such a country club sport and there appears to be no real tough part about it. I know it is very difficult at that level but if you have the talent, then it is practice and work hard. He seems to want to be a rogue and just win. Seems like you get what you deserve in that case.
Tim Owens
Mar 07, 2016 Tim Owens rated it liked it
I can't help thinking how great John could have been, but given his story it is amazing he is as good as he is. When he won that first PGA championship what a common man's hero. After reading the autobiography,one can see how important it is to have parents and a community to raise and nurture a kid. John is delusional. Yes it is fun to read about assorted addictions and problems, but it is frustrating that they aren't being overcome and John is in denial of that fact.
Riley Kuffner
Apr 19, 2013 Riley Kuffner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a young golfer myself, I have grown up with my idols in the sport. Despite the problems he has gone through, I have always been drawn to John Daly. His style of play and attitude toward life is extremely interesting and although one may not want to copy it, they sure can learn from his attitude. I found this book extremely insightful to the story behind the man that we know and deem it a must read for any fan.
Tharit
Aug 14, 2013 Tharit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: difficult
The book, John Daly:My Life in and out of Rough, by John Daly is recommended for golfers. A person who will read this has to be mature enough to handle rude words and sexual references. The target age for this book is 16 and more years of age. This memoir contains anecdotes like people getting a hangover which might be a bad example for teenagers. But if you are willing to read about a man’s life and how he got married 5 times then you should check this book out.
Kellie
This is one of the most honest, enjoyable biographies I think I have ever read. I have always been intrigued by John Daly. He actually reminds me of an old boyfriend. I heard about this book when the PGA was in Charlotte for the Wachovia. I knew I had to read it. There is no sugar coating in this book. John tells it like it is. I admire that. Now I want to follow him on the tour and route for him!!! Highly recommend this. Especially if you are a fan of golf!
Jim
Nov 21, 2010 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Sex, drugs and difficult green roll, I finished this just before Tiger appeared in the news putting Daley's exploits in the shade. Daly's problem was not that he had endless women, it was more that he married them all. Golf books are hard to make exciting, but this was easy to read and the chapter on his victory at St Andrews was worth the price of the ebay purchase.
Mark Noonan
Oct 10, 2015 Mark Noonan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I always liked John Daly but never realized what a caring person he is. He has also has battled some demons that I have and I can relate to a lot of what he's saying about certain topics. The book is only 200 pages but it's a really easy and interesting read. If you're a John Daly fan, I highly recommend this book.
angrykitty
i found this book both easy to read, and hard to read. it's kinda sad to think that daly, even after all he's been through, doesn't think he's an alcoholic. at the same time though, it's amazing how much he's been able to accomplish. definitely a flawed individual.
Peter Knox
Jun 17, 2007 Peter Knox rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in golf and interesting golfers
Shelves: non-fiction
written with a golf reader, this book feels like John Daly talking to you - completely in his voice.
It reads like a memory book with chronological progression and his side of everything that happened in his very interesting life - if HST were a southern redneck golfer, maybe.
Hans
Aug 14, 2012 Hans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a golf enthusiast and a fan of the PGA Tour, I found this biography great. It detailed different chapters of John Daly's life - childhood, college, and adulthood along with connections to his professional golfing career.
Thad
Oct 12, 2007 Thad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone seeking the truth
john daly's infinite wisdom is here for you. stop wasting your time with self-help books, nutrition, and excercise.
he will lead you towards the light. in arkansas they are replacing the bible with this book.
Glenn Van
Long John puts a lot of his struggles into this book, which is what this reader was curious about. But it seemed as thought he held back in some cases and took other situations a little too far. Still one of the greatest personalities to ever walk the fairways and rough of the PGA tour.
Heather
Another book Hubby brought home from work (sports radio), and I felt compelled to read it because I knew he wouldn't. Was more interesting than I thought it would be, especially since I had no idea who the guy was beforehand and I don't follow golf.
Evan Kirby
Interesting look into possibly the most interesting man in golf. Crazy to hear about how much he drank and gambled away and how all this affected his golf game, good and bad. Very candid especially when talking about wife after wife after wife.
Alicia
Jun 29, 2007 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever cursed at a golf ball.
John Dlay is a dying breed. Straight up good ole boy.
Madalene
Apr 12, 2011 Madalene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed John's writing style. But that doesn't mean I enjoyed everything he had to say... He's interesting, to say the least. Makes you wonder how blind people can really be about themselves.
ROSEYBOY3
Dec 11, 2012 ROSEYBOY3 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read this is. A real insight into John and his life. definately worth a look if your a Daly or golf fan
  • The Graveyard Shift
  • Golf in the Kingdom
  • Adrian Mole: The Lost Years (Adrian Mole #1-4)
  • Looking for a Ship
  • Tales from Q School: Inside Golf's Fifth Major
  • One Magical Sunday: (But Winning Isn't Everything)
  • The Wisdom of Wooden: A Century of Family, Faith, and Friends