Start by marking “Bread Alone: Bold Fresh Loaves from Your Own Hands” as Want to Read:
Bread Alone: Bold Fresh Loaves from Your Own Hands

Bread Alone: Bold Fresh Loaves from Your Own Hands

Some damage to spine
Published November 19th 1993 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about Bread Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread Alone

Marjorie Elwood
Nov 02, 2009 Marjorie Elwood rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook-memoir
Although the descriptions of how he became interested in baking bread and of the kinds of breads that he makes are luscious, the bread itself is far too complicated. I was going to try making his rustic loaf, but the specific flour he calls for is no longer available from one company and the other company is out of business. That, combined with the intricacy of the steps to making the bread (I'm all for intricacy if it has a point; I'm not sure his does) means that I haven't tried to bake his br ...more
Katie Kenig
Feb 10, 2008 Katie Kenig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is as much about the artistry of making beautiful breads as it is a cookbook, and is a wonderful read. It inspired me to buy stone tiles for my own oven, and got me to bake home made bread for the first time. I absolutely adore this book and recommend it highly. It makes an ancient art truly accessible in our modern world.
Don
May 17, 2012 Don rated it it was amazing
This is the book that kicked off my passion for baking. Dan Leader interleaves equal part (exceptional) recipes and his journey to being a master baker and building the Bread Alone bakery in upstate New York.
Dean
Mar 06, 2008 Dean added it
This is a good book about baking for people who love bread. There are bits in here that are beyond bread,and talk about a lot of things like the psychology and history of bread.
A must have for the baker.
Staci
Jun 19, 2008 Staci rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Great book for bread bakers and bread lovers! I still feel that it is hard to bake a great loaf of bread without someone to come alongside you and teach you how. Bread baking is an art, this book is a fabulous way to begin to understand and appreciate the artistic process of great bread.
Amy
Jan 05, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
A flawless, thorough guide to mastering artisan bread-making. Dan Leader is a great teacher. Full of great recipes and information on the why and how of bread-making with a good list of references and resources.
Lisa
Feb 20, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
When I got my hands on this book about five (six? seven? god. I think it's been almost eight years.. I read it when joseph was not yet one.. my how time flies) years ago, my adoration and practice of bread began. I really like how he presents it from grain to loaf.
Rachel Rogers
Mar 15, 2008 Rachel Rogers rated it it was ok
Have not had any luck with these breads. They sound wonderful but rarely rise - regardless of amount of time or yeast).
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
May 10, 2009 Jo (Mixed Book Bag) rated it it was amazing
If you follow the direction in this book you will have a great loaf of bread. Most take all day to make but it is well worth the time.
Cheryl S.
Jul 01, 2008 Cheryl S. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: artisan bread fans
Shelves: cookery, memoir, 2008
This book left me somewhere between terrified and intrigued when I consider attempting the bread making process.
Chrissy
Apr 17, 2013 Chrissy rated it really liked it
Great book -- perhaps a bit complicated for the beginning baker (do you really care about the hundreds of bread flour varieties?) but a wonderful resource for the person on a bread-baking journey!
Eleanor Schmidt
Feb 22, 2016 Eleanor Schmidt rated it really liked it
A minutely detailed book about bread making from types of flour, salt and oven. A page turner for bread lovers
Eva
Jan 17, 2010 Eva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This was a landmark book in bread-baking techniques for me. My dog-earred copy is well-used and well-loved. It is a resource I return to again and again.
Jane G Meyer
Nov 02, 2007 Jane G Meyer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bread folk
Shelves: bread-books
I've learned quite a bit from this book and made some good bread through his recommendations. It's also a good resource for new bread recipes and for simply being inspired to turn on my oven...
Sam
Aug 02, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing
My go-to cookbook for bread. If you want to develop an addiction to gluten, this is the place to start.
Dineen
Apr 06, 2012 Dineen rated it it was amazing
Leader was among the first to pioneer artisan breads state-side. He brings old-world knowledge from European masters to his stand-out book.
Laura Day
Laura Day rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Harrigan
Harrigan rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2012
Maddie
Maddie rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2011
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Christopher Baker
Christopher Baker rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2013
Soren Dayton
Soren Dayton rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Laura rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Kelly jean Chamberlain
Kelly jean Chamberlain rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2011
Judi Hendricks
Judi Hendricks rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • The Handmade Loaf
  • Bittersweet: Recipes and Tales from a Life in Chocolate
  • Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
  • Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook