Bread Alone: Bold Fresh

Bread Alone: Bold Fresh

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Good bread is hard to find and easy to make," says Dan Leader as he draws you into the ancient world of traditional bread baking. Unlike any other bread book, Bread Alone will provide you with a comprehensive guide to creating—at home—the country-style breads that have consistently captured the imagination and the taste buds of the world.

In a richly told tale, Leader chro...more
Published November 19th 1993 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about Bread Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread Alone

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter ReinhartBread by Jeffrey HamelmanThe Bread Bible by Rose Levy BeranbaumHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel HadjiandreouBeard on Bread by James Beard
Best Breadmaking Books Ever
25th out of 25 books — 21 voters
Tartine Bread by Chad RobertsonFlour Water Salt Yeast by Ken ForkishTartine Book No. 3 by Chad RobertsonBouchon Bakery by Thomas KellerHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou
BREAD--Stars That Rise & Shine
16th out of 32 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Marjorie Elwood
Although the descriptions of how he became interested in baking bread and of the kinds of breads that he makes are luscious, the bread itself is far too complicated. I was going to try making his rustic loaf, but the specific flour he calls for is no longer available from one company and the other company is out of business. That, combined with the intricacy of the steps to making the bread (I'm all for intricacy if it has a point; I'm not sure his does) means that I haven't tried to bake his br...more
Katie Kenig
This book is as much about the artistry of making beautiful breads as it is a cookbook, and is a wonderful read. It inspired me to buy stone tiles for my own oven, and got me to bake home made bread for the first time. I absolutely adore this book and recommend it highly. It makes an ancient art truly accessible in our modern world.
Staci
Great book for bread bakers and bread lovers! I still feel that it is hard to bake a great loaf of bread without someone to come alongside you and teach you how. Bread baking is an art, this book is a fabulous way to begin to understand and appreciate the artistic process of great bread.
Lisa
When I got my hands on this book about five (six? seven? god. I think it's been almost eight years.. I read it when joseph was not yet one.. my how time flies) years ago, my adoration and practice of bread began. I really like how he presents it from grain to loaf.
Amy
A flawless, thorough guide to mastering artisan bread-making. Dan Leader is a great teacher. Full of great recipes and information on the why and how of bread-making with a good list of references and resources.
Dean
Mar 06, 2008 Dean added it
This is a good book about baking for people who love bread. There are bits in here that are beyond bread,and talk about a lot of things like the psychology and history of bread.
A must have for the baker.
Don
This is the book that kicked off my passion for baking. Dan Leader interleaves equal part (exceptional) recipes and his journey to being a master baker and building the Bread Alone bakery in upstate New York.
Chrissy
Great book -- perhaps a bit complicated for the beginning baker (do you really care about the hundreds of bread flour varieties?) but a wonderful resource for the person on a bread-baking journey!
Jane G Meyer
Nov 02, 2007 Jane G Meyer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bread folk
Shelves: bread-books
I've learned quite a bit from this book and made some good bread through his recommendations. It's also a good resource for new bread recipes and for simply being inspired to turn on my oven...
Eva
Jan 17, 2010 Eva rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: cooking
This was a landmark book in bread-baking techniques for me. My dog-earred copy is well-used and well-loved. It is a resource I return to again and again.
Dineen
Leader was among the first to pioneer artisan breads state-side. He brings old-world knowledge from European masters to his stand-out book.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
If you follow the direction in this book you will have a great loaf of bread. Most take all day to make but it is well worth the time.
Heather
Amazing bread recipes. I love the basic recipe he provides, but don't forget the vanilla bean butter bread . . .
Cheryl S.
Jul 01, 2008 Cheryl S. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artisan bread fans
Shelves: 2008, cookery, memoir
This book left me somewhere between terrified and intrigued when I consider attempting the bread making process.
Rachel Rogers
Have not had any luck with these breads. They sound wonderful but rarely rise - regardless of amount of time or yeast).
Rachael Lauritzen
The quintessential book for making slow, crusty breads. They explain EVERYTHING.
Inukshuk71 Paquin
A delicious book on simple bread making that reads like a story. Wonderful!
Jaime
So informative!
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Luba
Luba added it
Aug 16, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers Simply Great Breads: Sweet and Savory Yeasted Treats from America's Premier Artisan Baker