Start by marking “Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  36 reviews
At long last, the owner of New York City’s legendary Fat Witch Bakery shares her top-secret recipes for decadent and delicious brownies, blondies, and bars

Patricia Helding’s rich, intensely chocolatey Fat Witch brownie is a New York obsession, an internet sensation, and arguably the very best brownie to be found on the planet. Unlike other bakeries that feature a range of
Published September 14th 2010 by Rodale Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Fat Witch Brownies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Witch Brownies

Julie
I have the intense chocolate brownies (also known as "heart of darkness" brownies) in the oven as I type, and I have raisins soaking in rum in preparation to make the rum raisin bars tomorrow for a friend who is coming to tea! I think we are in for a treat! Update: *Sigh* ~ another cookbook I am going to have to buy! The rum raisin bars were absolutely delicious, moist & luscious! I am too embarrassed to admit to how many I ate this afternoon, and I just had to eat another one this evening t ...more
Kristl
I've only tried one recipe out of this book (the straight up original Fat Witch brownie) and while I didn't like it as much as I thought (don't get me wrong, it was yummy; I just prefer my brownies fudgier), the people I shared them with said they were the best brownies they'd ever had. That's good enough for me! (By the way, there is a recipe for a fudgier as well as a cakier version of her original, which I appreciate.)

In addition to recipes, Helding gives a pretty thorough introduction to the
Melissa Bond
I fell in love with Fat Witch's creations years ago, and now I can make believe I am there in New York, baking gooey goodness of chocolate heaven. There are so many amazingly rich recipes packed into this petite book for not just brownies, but also bars and candy-esque treats. Best of all, they are quick to inspire turning into your own custom creation by substituting ingredients to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Carina
I attempted the peanut butter squares recipe first. It was fairly good (I always make the recipe exactly as written the first time), though too sweet. The addition of some chopped peanuts would have improved the taste. The texture was off, though. Too crunchy around the edges ("hard" would be another word...) but gummy in the middle.

Then I made the brownie recipe. It turned out looking exactly like the brownies on the cover. Again, too sweet! There was more sugar and butter in that recipe than c
Suzanne
OMNOMNOMNOM!!! This is a fun book to read and definitely a delicious book to bake out of! I really enjoyed the Earl Grey Brownies. Mmmmm
Linda
Patricia Helding is the owner of Fat Witch Bakery in Manhattan, New York. Cookbook is 150 pages with photos of most of the 50 recipes. Simple and easy instructions, all recipes made in 9 x 9 pan.

Chapters include Updated Classics, Delicious Decadence, Grown-Up Kid Stuff, Delightfully Different, Over-The-Top Toppings. Book includes assortment of all types of brownies, fruit bars, and the few oddities (Earl Grey brownies, Cardamom Bars, Lavender Treats). A book to be used over and over again.

MADE:
Dori
Several years ago I loved the fabulous brownies I got from the Fat Witch Bakery at Chelsea Market in New York City, so I was excited to see this cookbook on the shelves at my local library. It was fun trying out some of the recipes at home (especially the original Fat Witch Brownies and the PBJ bars) although author Helding complicates matters somewhat by requiring that you bake all her recipes in a 9x9 inch pan, a hard-to-locate size for the average U.S. baker. However, I had luck with just usi ...more
Erika
I just made the Intense Chocolate Brownies out of this book. They are absolutely delicious! However, they are very, very bad for you. This particular recipe calls for a stick and a half of butter. Also, this recipe called for 1/4 tsp of baking powder, but the directions did not specify where to add it to the mix, so I just guessed. Seems to have turned out fine, but I just thought it was an odd thing to leave out. Other than that, the directions are clear and concise.

The pictures in this book ar
Leigh
Lots of really good, easy recipes for making yummy brownies. No gimmicks or weird recipes, just good, proven ideas.
Lindsay
I liked this book enough to buy it after checking it out from the library and trying a few recipes. Every recipe has ten or fewer ingredients, and they are all inexpensive items you will be able to find at a standard grocery store. I thought the recipes were simple and straight-forward, while at the same time, delicious and satisfying. I would highly recommend trying the lemon bars, toffee bars, and cocoa brownies.

You do have to have a 9X9 inch pan (most stores only sell 8X8 and 9X13 inch pans),
Hope
Helding owns the Fat Witch bakery in Manhattan, serving thousands of customers a week. In this baking book, she introduces each recipe for her brownies, blondies, and bar cookies with a short recollection and story about the cookie, making the book a cute read. Each recipe is made in a 9" square pan, so equipment is minimal and cheap. If you're a brownie lover, you can't go wrong with this book. It would also make an excellent gift, along with the pan, for Christmas or a birthday.
Cynthia L
Yummy

Watch out waistline. These brownies are to die for delicious. Make some for home and some for friends. A must have for the holidays.
Scottsdale Public Library
Yum! I checked this book out and told my sister to mark a few pages and we would make some brownies. When I got the book back, almost every page had a post-it on it! This book has so many delicious brownie & bar recipes and you don’t have to be an expert baker to make them. I recommended the book to a coworker and was rewarded with delectable lemon bars. Try this book and see for yourself how easy it is to make a tasty little treat!

--Krissy--
Emily
This has been sitting on my nightstand for several months. I keep renewing it at the library. I read the recipes over and over. I haven't made a single one because they are all scaled for a 9x9" brownie pan and I only have an 8x8". Yes, that is a small difference, but these recipes look so danged perfect that I don't want to mess with them. I have put both this book AND a 9x9" pan on my Christmas list. Hint hint.
Lee
So I can't eat any of these (there was but one GF inclusion) but I can ogle them & fantasize the textures & flavours. I don't want "bars" included in brownie books - I just want brownies. And pictures, which is what makes this book so very appealing...close-ups of brownie goodness.
Nessie
I rarely buy or consult cook books, but when I saw this at the library I was intrigued. I baked a few items with great success. Easy to use, and I like that it isn't too big to handle. I will probably end up buying this book because I will for sure repeat the recipes!
Polly
Yum! Can't wait to try some of these--although I'm always dubious about people who want you to melt chocolate chips instead of using baking chocolate, since chocolate chips are often made not to melt. The Lemon Bars are very good--have to try something chocolate next!
Kate
Not giving it a star rating because I only got to one recipe before I had to return it to the library. But, man, I made the pecan bars and they were killer!! I'm going to get it again to try some more recipes.
Jocelin
Yummy recipes about brownies. I thought this was an interesting cookbook because it basically tells you how to make killer brownies. I was ready to buy the book and make the brownies tonight.
Tricia
Hand-me-down book. Quite a few that I'd try, but so many eggs! Does a 9x9 pan really need 4 eggs?? The 13yo (who was the actual recipient) wants me to try something from here soon.
Michelle Atkins
Is it possible to eat the book? It looks delicious with the fabulous recipes and pictures. This is my go to brownie and bar cookie book. You can't argue with great recipes. It's a magical!
Linda
Some of these recipes are a little out there and some don't look like the pictures no matter how much I try. The caramel brownies did earn raves.
Pattyb
All the recipes in this book are for a 9" x 9" pan, which is good, because they sound so good, I would probably eat a lot of them!
Stephani
These all look so good! I'm going to try some of these recipes, and if they turn out half as good as they look, I will be buying this one!
Oceandreamer001
There are some incredible recipes in this book. I can't wait to make some of these. If you are a brownie fan, this book is a must-have!
Rebecca
Love this book! The Fat Witch Bakery makes the best brownies I've ever had, and I'm thrilled that I can make them in Wisconsin!
Wendy
Heather was right (as she always is where cookbooks are concerned!)- this one is a keeper! Will be buying a copy soon!
Awesome and SO up my alley!! The cutest thing is that the book is sized to fit in a 9-inch. brownie pan.
Natalie

The whiskey brownies are so easy to make and TO DIE FOR!
Ofe
only brownies/bars. good book. i'll probably try 1 or 2 recipes
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • I Love Macarons
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Booze Cakes: Confections Spiked with Spirits, Wine, and Beer
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Whoopie Pies
  • Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook: Breakfast, Brunch & Beyond from New York's Favorite Neighborhood Restaurant
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • The Boozy Baker: 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
Fat Witch Bake Sale: 67 Recipes from the Beloved Fat Witch Bakery for Your Next Bake Sale or Party