Start by marking “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” as Want to Read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,381,809 Ratings  ·  13,206 Reviews
NARNIA...the land beyond the wardrobe, the secret country known only to Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy...the place where the adventure begins.
Audio, Abridged
Published March 29th 1989 by HarperCollins Narnia (first published October 16th 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Peter Yoder LION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that…moreLION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that reading the books in their original published order is the best way to experience them. Here are the reasons:

1. Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe through Silver Chair follow the childhoods of the Pevensies and company, and thematically flow best when not interrupted by Horse and His Boy. They also reveal the world at the best pace for new readers.
2. There is a powerful nostalgia factor that you get when reading the Horse and His Boy that is diminished if you read it right after Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe. Magician and Last Battle also play off that nostalgia.
3. The Magician's Nephew has allusions to another book that would not make sense if you had read Magician first. It is also experienced much better when you already have a picture of Narnia from the other books. You kind of spoil the surprises if you read it first.

If C.S. Lewis' was reorganizing the books to be in chronological order, it was an effort that never made its way into the books. I was flabbergasted when publishers started printing editions differently. Reordering the books in my mind is like recutting Memento. Will it still tell a story? yes. Will the story be as good? no. At least not without serious rework.

The published order is:
1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle(less)
Cher Depends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not…moreDepends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not until I was in my late 20s did I find out that there were more in a series! I found them, bought the paperback series and enjoyed them as a treasure found. I loved Harry Potter series and own it too. I enjoy reading teen and young adult fiction. I enjoy fantasy, sci fi and time travel books. I did not have a clue about the religious overtones. BTW I"m 70years young.(less)

Patrick
This is the first book where I chronicled my thoughts as I read through it with my son. I don't know how easy it is for y'all to access the record of those here on Goodreads, but if you're looking for a detailed account of my thoughts on the book, you can look there.

I'll say this. I've read a lot of books to my little boy these last couple years, and I can honestly say that This book is among the best. Good, tight writing, good description. Good action. Also there's not a lot of dead space or tr
J.G. Keely
My greatest disappointment in 'The Screwtape Letters' was that Lewis was not able to demonstrate what made his good people good or his bad people bad. The closest he got to defining goodness was that you could tell the good people from the vague aura of light that surrounded them--and which even shone in their cat. In this book, the cat is much bigger.

Aslan had no character, he was just a big, dull stand-in. Lewis often tells us how great he is, but never demonstrates what it is that makes him g
Manuel
Aug 31, 2009 Manuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.
It was first read to me in 4th grade. We would all come in from lunch and our teacher would read to us for about 30 minutes before we would start class.
I remember this book because it wasnt read to us by Mrs Graham, but instead it would be read by Mr Goodwin, her long-haired, bearded, Birkenstock wearing teacher's aid.
Over the next few weeks we were enthralled by this story, we couldnt wait for lunch period to be over so we could hear what was happening in this magic kingdom
Jonathan

A Defence of C.S. Lewis...or a brief attempt at such

Some thoughts recently crossed my mind no doubt on their way down-town to relax in regards to arguments one could offer as a defence of the Christian side of this novel. The main arguments against this novel as a 'Christian allegory' that I have heard are: 1)Aslan is not a strong Christ-figure 2)That C.S. Lewis 'preaches' a black and white morality. So I'm going to roughly address them from my perspective and hope it encourages some discussion.
Aimee
Apr 19, 2008 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this book and got so much more out of it than the first time. The symbolism & parallels to basic Christianity stuck out.
*turkish delight is our human nature, prone to addiction, selfishness and wrongdoing
*Peter said about Edmund, "We should go after him. After all he is our brother." Even though he had just betrayed them and was causing grief they didn't mistreat or disown him.
*The very mention of Aslan's name caused certain positive feelings to come over them all they didn'
P
Apr 13, 2016 P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.”

This book is what they call 'PERFECTION'. I first read this one a long time ago since I was a kid, then I wasn't sure how deep this book was, however, when I grow up I can see it finer. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is pretty symbolic, but not so hard to understand. Four kids on a mission. Not only they have to fight the wicked witch who freezed the kingdom into the winter, but they have to conquer their fears and becom
Shovelmonkey1
The Role (bibli)call:

The big cuddly cat = Jesus. Strange that a lion should be chosen to represent the big man when Lions are notoriously aggressive, solitary carnivores who are more likely to eat any potential apostles than than teach or lead them.

The white witch = Satan or Eve the temptress depending on which side of the tree of knowledge you're most likely to be barking up. Famed for a monochrome wardrobe in the A/W line only. Like Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, she has cancel
Laz
Dec 27, 2014 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, really
Well, can you blame me for loving this? I certainly hope not. It's Christmas and I feel like a little kid and I was craving something to make me feel like I am one, indeed, and this book travelled me to a wondrous world full of heroes and of course a villain. The ride was awesome and I found the characters warm and fuzzy despite the eternal cold that had been placed upon Narnia. Now, they're all free of the curse of the White Witch thanks to Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. The kings and queens of ...more
Jason Koivu
Feb 09, 2016 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It dawned on me the other day that I'd never read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. What an oversight! I had to fix this.

I knew the story. When we were kids, one of my cousins was all about this book and liked to tell me about it. I remember absolutely bawling my eyes out when the 1979 cartoon version aired on tv and Aslan was subdued. And then I also knew it through the more recent movie adaptation. Now, having read the actual book, it turns out I already as good as read the book. It varie
Mandy Blair Crider
Read as a little girl and loved it. Loved the mysterious places and fantasy lives and I always wanted my wardrobe to enter into a magical land. This book is worth more than 5 stars.
Dyuti
Jun 19, 2012 Dyuti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fantasy lovers
Shelves: children, fantasy
What an amazingly delightful book! I regret not reading it earlier

** Before I begin, let me clarify that as I am not a Christian, I had no idea that this book was written by keeping the image of Jesus (as Aslan) in mind. I just came across this revelation on Goodreads, and it just added another layer to the story! The review below is written only by treating it as a fun-filled and action packed novel!

narnia

I had seen the movie based on the book a couple of years ago, and had really loved it! On readi
Denisse
Jan 03, 2016 Denisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful read. There's no other way to say it. The story knows what it is, knows the public it wants to catch, children, but leaves details every now and then for we the grown ups to appreciate, turning a great children story into one of The fantasy novels this world has. Great messages, and unique style. Light but direct to the point, like all children stories should be. The lion, the witch and the wardrobe is a must for all the lovers of the genre.

description

Solo hay una cosa que de verdad se puede d
Joca
Dec 26, 2015 Joca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A primeira leitura que fiz em 2015 foi o "O Sobrinho do Mágico" porque tinha como objetivo para este ano ler todas as Crónicas de Nárnia por ordem cronológica, mas tal não se concretizou. Nem a ordem, nem a leitura em si. Acabei por deixar passar os meses e nunca mais continuei a minha aventura, até que chegou o mês de Dezembro!

Achei que não haveria mês melhor para ler "O Leão, A Feiticeira e o Guarda-Roupa" por isso peguei nele. O filme é um mais especiais para mim porque vi e revi e revi e o e
Kenny
Nov 07, 2011 Kenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Kenny by: Waaaaay too many people
I am tempted to give this book a zero but the idea of going through the wardrobe to another land is fantastic. Everything else, however, is not fantastic, including:

The over-the-top Christian allegory.
The complete absence of dramatic tension - the characters are static and the conclusion is foregone. There is nothing to keep you reading, to challenge you, or to even vaguely interest you.
The writing is mediocre at best.
The dialogue is mediocre at best.

Awful book, it as if someone read Matthew thr
Jessika
Every time I read this wonderful story, it's like catching up with an old friend. I've read this particular Narnia book so many different times, but it never ever gets old. I love the fact that I can pick up this (or any of the other Narnia books, for that matter) and step into a whole other world. I also particularly enjoyed the fact that I found that I could relate with each one of the children, although I must say that I was partial to Lucy! Additionally, I love the role Aslan plays in this b ...more
Manny
Some useful German words and phrases that I learned from reading this book:

Alle Wetter, ich bin ja ganz in Schweiß gebadet! - Blowed if I ain't all in a muck sweat!

Biberin - female beaver

Feeneden - Cair Paravel

Heiliger Bimbam! - Great Scott!

Ich frage mich wirklich, was sie ihnen eigentlich auf den Schulen beibringen - I do wonder what they do teach them at these schools

Pfui Teufel, was für eine Gemeinheit! - Well, of all the poisonous little beasts!

tiefer Urzauber aus der Zeiten Dämmerung - deep
Michael
Feb 08, 2008 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Narnia, where nobody has genitalia.
Nikoleta
Jan 13, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ένα υπέροχο μαγικό παραμύθι. Είναι φανερό πως γράφτηκε για κοινό μικρότερης ηλικίας και πραγματικά άμα το είχα διαβάσει στα δέκα μου θα είχα ξετρελαθεί. Και πόσο κρίμα που δεν είχα την Νάρνια να την διαβάσω… θυμάμαι εκεί, γύρω στα οχτώ μου χρόνια, κάποιος μου διηγήθηκε για μια ντουλάπα που βγάζει σε μια μαγική χώρα. Ακόμα θυμάμαι σαν σε όνειρο τον μικρό μου εαυτό να χώνεται στην ντουλάπα και να παλεύει με τα ρούχα της μάμας μου. Ακόμα θυμάμαι την τσαντίλα μου όταν φώναζα «Τζίφος»! Ποτέ όμως δεν ...more
Werner
Apr 04, 2008 Werner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone (of any age) who loves fantasy, and/or serious Christian literature
While I first read this book in the mid-70s, I read it again to my wife a couple of years ago (we both loved it then as much as I did the first time). Most people know that C. S. Lewis was an effective Christian nonfiction apologist, using the tools of reason and logic to build the philosophical case for Christian faith. But he ultimately became convinced that an even more effective apologetic is available through the "truth of art," the instinctive and emotional appeal that stories exert -- esp ...more
Danny Phanton
Jan 25, 2016 Danny Phanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy buen libro cómo el primero, me encantó, muy fiel a la película cómo todos dicen, la verdad me sorprendió lo bien adaptado que esta el libro.

Este segundo libro me gustó mucho igual que el primero, pero tuve unos peros con el, ya que cómo estoy leyendo la saga en orden cronológico me gustaría saber más cosas que me dejaron con duda, el cómo la reina llego a congelar todo Narnia y eso, de resto, me pareció entretenido y muy rápido de leer la letra de los libros es enorme.

Y me encanta la forma
Abi
Feb 20, 2008 Abi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Smug Christians
I read this when I was little (I would guess about 7, 8 or 9), and I didn't pick up on all the Christianity references, despite them being SO overt. What I did feel was astonishment that the children all loved Aslan so much, when I thought he was massively sanctimonious and sickening as a character. I could not stand that lion. I didn't want the Snow Queen to win exactly, I didn't like her either... but at the same time I wanted someone to show the lion up, or force him to do something INTERESTI ...more
Madeline
Rather than spend this review explaining what I thought of the book, I will instead devote my time to justifying placing this on my "the movie is better" shelf.

Reasons the Movie Version Is Better:
1. Watching it will take about the same amount of time it takes to read the book, because good lord does everything get wrapped up quick.
2. We actually get to see some real fight scenes, and even though there's no blood and it's all very PG, at least it's not just "There was a battle going on but then A
Luke Taylor
So what is The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe?

description

It is without a doubt, one of the finest examples of children’s storytelling I’ve ever come across, seamless and cyclical, ushering the imagination toward that which is so fantastic it must be true, buried somwhere within in our heart of hearts, where the deep and unending magic set about before the dawn of time wove within in all creatures the desire for adventure, heroism, sacrifice, morality, greatness, grandeur, light, beauty, and loveliness.

W
Hugo
Oct 12, 2015 Hugo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even I don't know what it is.In my opinion,this book was really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really re ...more
Zhangdaixi
Oct 12, 2015 Zhangdaixi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
TI BE HONEST.I cannot stand the way that the writer use.THAT is too bad.THAT sometimes make me confuse.Some people said that this book is full of imagine.But for me the imagine is all dumb and null thing.It make my imaginary heart be covered
with frost.
Crystal
Oct 12, 2015 Crystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well,I have never read this book before,but when I was a little girl I had watched the movies adapted from this book.The book's introduction says that is talking about a magic world and four siblings who were evacuated to aneccentric professor's villa.Then they discovered a wardrobe which through a icy world.The four save the world ,be the King and the queen.A silly story for little kids to read,not very exciting or interesting.
Beatriz
Jul 30, 2016 Beatriz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Un hermoso libro, cuyo principal mérito es la entrega de valores -como la amistad, la entrega, el sacrificio y el perdón- a través de los diferentes acontecimientos que suceden en la mágica tierra de Narnia. Es una historia conmovedora y también, muy, muy emocionante.

Sé que quizá no soy muy objetiva en mi valoración, pero es el libro que, en mi niñez, me introdujo al género fantástico, del que disfruto muchísimo hasta hoy. Inevitablemente, toda la saga y éste en particular, tiene un lugar especi
Amy
Oct 12, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Isoifj
Oct 12, 2015 Isoifj rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really really really really bad, it's the most boring book I've ever read. It's a waste of time, and even little child won't believe the author. Rubbish book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Savannah
Oct 12, 2015 Savannah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well,all right.I have to say that this book is terrible...In fact I haven't read this book before but I've heard from other people that this book had ruined their childhood... :(
Character Elimination Game 11 41 Jul 15, 2016 06:50PM
Around the Year i...: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis 13 32 Jul 10, 2016 02:16PM
Play Book Tag: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C. S. Lewis - 4 stars 9 17 Jun 04, 2016 12:18AM
RDG 4402 Spring 2016: Trade Book 3 1 2 Apr 24, 2016 07:30PM
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain #5)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Silver on the Tree
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Just So Stories
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • Enoch's Ghost (Oracles of Fire, #2)
  • Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)

“I hope no one who reads this book has been quite as miserable as Susan and Lucy were that night; but if you have been - if you've been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you - you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing is ever going to happen again.” 893 likes
“I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be your affectionate Godfather, C. S. Lewis.” 783 likes