Start by marking “The Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses” as Want to Read:
The Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses

The Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Better Eyesight Without Glasses is not only the deffinitive source for the classic Bates Method, it is in itself a remarkablke phenomenon. In the more than forty years since this revised edition was first published, the book has gone through innumerable printings and is more popular and more pertinent than ever today. Dr. William Bate's revolutionary and entirely commonsen ...more
Published April 15th 1981 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1920)

Mary Iva Oliver This book is the scaled down version published 1943 and later. Its ok.

For the doctors entire version, original book, read; Perfect Sight Without…more
This book is the scaled down version published 1943 and later. Its ok.

For the doctors entire version, original book, read; Perfect Sight Without Glasses. Find one by William H. Bates, Clark Night, green cover. Read the chapters on shifting, central-fixation, memory, imagination, sunlight, relaxation, fine print.

Go to the end to see pictures, all treatments in steps. Read Emily Lierman's Fundamentals... Read 132 Better Eyesight Magazine pages. Main treatments on each page, 132 of best practices from Dr. Bates.

Dr. Bates has a lot of the scientific stuff added in the book. It proves how his method works, why. This is the reason other eye doctors that prefer to sell glasses, surgery harassed his wife Emily and other publishers after 1940; forced them to omit many things from the book.
They passed a law in new York preventing the public from teaching the Bates Method. It was eventually removed and the public regained their right to teach.
See cases of Bates teacher Margaret Corbett in Los Angeles, CA, 1940's. They brought her to court. Aldous Huxley was a witness; she saved him from blindness. Movie stars testified for her. They won all cases. (less)

Elisabeth M
I'm not sure how sound the science is behind these theories, but I figure as long as I don't know for sure, I'll go ahead and assume it's all true, try out what he recommends, and see if it works. Certainly can't hurt. All you have to do is read the book (which I've done) and give it a couple minutes a day (which I'm going to do). Worth it if it can keep your vision at peak, or even restore slipped vision. And if not, well, nothing lost.
Kari
This sounds true to me. I want to try it out. My sister had vision therapy when we were little, and this looks to be the same stuff she was doing, so I'm inclined to believe it. If it works for me (I've had glasses for driving for 6 years) it'll cost a lot less than therapy. I read this in the first place because the same sister got it from the library; she seems to believe it, and she's the one who did all the exercises.

Quotes to ponder that relate to other aspects of life: p.50 "We cannot by a
Rachel
MRMMMMM so I don't know how valid his claims are since they're basically all based on his own personal experience, but I'm still willing to give this Bates Method a shot... nothing breeds faith like hopelessness! Really though, I am blind, I am desperate, and I can easily be convinced that ophthalmologists are conspiring to keep me that way... so I'm game to try anything other than this downward spiraling spec-dependence. It also resonates with my worldview that the mind is powerful, the body is ...more
Mary  Iva Oliver
Perfect Sight Without Glasses is actually the original book before modern publishers altered it. Also titled; The Cure of Imperfect Sight by Treatment Without Glasses. Beware of unnatural teachers who alter the book.

Some history;

Dr. Bates 1st, Original book in Antique 1920 Print. All W. H. Bates treatments and Dr. Bates Better Eyesight Magazine 'Page Two' of 132 Issues of his best Natural Eyesight Practices for every eye, vision condition; Myopia, Presbyopia, Astigmatism... Fundamental Treatment
Monica Pawlan
An interesting book for anyone who wants to explore an alternative to traditional optometry to improve and possibly correct basic nearsightedness or farsightedness. See also Relax, Smile, and Enjoy the View: Natural Relief for Eyestrain by yours truly.
R.L. Mosz
I passed my eye test for my driver's test. William Bates skirts around certain mysteries in this book regarding the brain, eyesight, and spirituality. I would like to read a book about him. His thinking fascinates me.
Jessica
Great information, but I wish I had an optometrist who would be willing to do it with me. I have asked, but of course they are all taught in school that vision cannot be improved except by artificial means.
Kathely
I can't decide if this author is a quack, or a genius. If he's right, wow! If not, you're not out anything. My guess is that this method works due to a placebo effect.
Ruth
As far as the book goes, nearly all of it gives a few theoretical ideas, and then a lot of the author's anecdotal successes. Only the last couple of chapters actually discuss treatment, which seems too simple to be true.

I'm really skeptical, but this method also won't hurt anything. I'll give it a try for a while, and see how well it works (pun intended).
Marcia
The copy I got is missing the last 8 pages. So far I haven't noticed any changes, but I'll keep doing the exercises.
Rene
Bates .... ahh.

It brings back the good old days when medicine was about lobotomies and when there was heroin in cough syrup. I read the book a while back, but a much better perspective about it is on Alex site, discussing why Bates doesn't work today: http://frauenfeldclinic.com/comedy-da...
Paul
So I believe the principles are accurate. It just needs updated. If I had 3 months off work to dedicate to this I could get somewhere perhaps.
This adaptation is the best I've seen on the topic:
JP
It feels somewhat reminiscent of the method used in The Music Man, and since he died in 1931, we know at least some scientific progress must have happened.
Dorai
Jan 04, 2013 Dorai marked it as to-read
Shelves: health
Have read about 25%. Slow moving so far (early 20c style perhaps). Hasn't told me what I can do to start yet.
Gita
This might need a re-read and a lot of practice.
Alex Mandus
Alex Mandus marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Mithilesh Kumar
Mithilesh Kumar marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Abdul Advani
Abdul Advani marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
icaro
icaro added it
Dec 16, 2014
K.venkatareddy
K.venkatareddy marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Itay Klein
Itay Klein marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Mishal
Mishal marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Cadet Divya
Cadet Divya marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Jeelani
Jeelani marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • The Adventures of Anybody
  • How to Sell Yourself
  • Moments of Truth
  • Athletic Body in Balance
  • The Power of Internal Martial Arts: Combat Secrets of Ba Gua, Tai Chi, and Hsing-I
  • Ordinary People, Extraordinary Wealth: The 8 Secrets of How 5,000 Ordinary Americans Became Successful Investors--and How You Can Too
  • The 11 Laws of Likability: Relationship Networking . . . Because People Do Business with People They Like
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge
  • Power Sleep: The Revolutionary Program That Prepares Your Mind for Peak Performance
  • The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu's Whispers of Wisdom
  • Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices
  • The Cure for All Diseases: With Many Case Histories
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Successful People
  • The Leadership Pill: The Missing Ingredient in Motivating People Today
Better Eyesight without Glasses Natural Eyesight Improvement Discovered and Taught by Ophthalmologist William H. Bates: Page Two - Better Eyesight Magazine (Black & White Edition) Better Eyesight Magazine - Original Antique Pages by Ophthalmologist William H. Bates - Vol. 1 - 73 Issues-July, 1919 to July, 1925: Natural Vision Improvement Better Eyesight Magazine Illustrated with 500 Pictures by Ophthalmologist William H. Bates: Natural Vision Improvement Better Eyesight Magazine: July 1919 (Dodo Press)

“The fact is that when the mind is at rest nothing can tire the eyes, and when the mind is under a strain nothing can rest them. Anything that rests the mind will benefit the eyes.

Almost everyone has observed that the eyes tire less quickly when reading an interesting book than when perusing something tiresome or difficult to comprehend. A schoolboy can sit up all night reading a novel without even thinking of his eyes, but if he tried to sit up all night studying his lessons he would soon find them getting very tired. A child whose vision was ordinarily so acute that she could see the moons of Jupiter with the naked eye became myopic when asked to do a sum in mental arithmetic, mathematics being a subject which was extremely distasteful to her.”
1 likes