Start by marking “Fiabe popolari russe” as Want to Read:
Fiabe popolari russe

Fiabe popolari russe

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  2,776 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Nearly 200 characteristic and colorful traditional folk and fairy tales are brought together in the only comprehensive edition available in English. Of the original 1945 edition, Eudora Welty wrote, "These Russian tales are rambunctious, full-blooded and temperamental. They are tense with action, magical and human, and move in a kind of cyclone of speed....These tales are ...more
Paperback, Edizione integrale - Grandi Tascabili Economici #280 , 448 pages
Published September 1994 by Newton & Compton (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about Fiabe popolari russe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiabe popolari russe

oh carlyn what key
seriously there is nothing more weird and bewildering and beautiful than russian fairy tales. first of all the titles are incredible. "if you don't like it, don't listen" is a classic example. the way they end is my favorite part. often the story is clipped short by: "i was there, i drank mead with the king and it got in my beard but did not spill into my mouth." or other such brilliance. and baba yaga and her chicken-leg hut? don't even get me started.
rae
i am a sucker for fairy tales in general, but this collection gives me insight into gogol's imaginative workings... absurdities, odd, cruel, dry humor... and excellent illustrations to boot...
Karin Feeney-Cass
This is a great collection of traditional Russian folktales which showcase the gorgeous illustrations of Ivan Bilibin. The stories included are:
-Ivan Tsarevich, The Grey Wolf, and The Firebird
-Sister Alyonushka and Brother Ivanushka
-Finist the Falcon
-Marya Morevna
-The White Duck
-Vasilisa the Beautiful
-The Frog Princess
Personally I enjoyed this collection because it gave me an opportunity to read certain stories for the first time and because it was such a great collection of Bilibin's work, whic
Sandra
The synopsis for this particular edition is, for some reason, in English instead of in Dutch - the reason I mention this is because the Dutch edition only includes 50 fairytales, and not the 200 promised in the English synopsis.

Russia has always interested me greatly, but I personally haven't gotten around reading any of the great classics just yet. I grew up with Russian folk songs (especially when a certain Belgian guy by the name of Helmut Lotti decided to record them as well), my mom loves R
Monica
This is a collection Russian Fairy Tales. There is love, death, and betrayal, as with all good tales.

The narrative is detailed, vivid, often emotional, and evocative.

Characters are sometimes emotional, caring, and humorous.

Overall, a fun read.
Insania
Afanasjev spese l'intera sua vita raccogliendo le antiche fiabe che si faceva raccontare dalle anziane bocche di tutta la Russia. La collezione che è pervenuta sino a noi è sterminata: ma non è tanto la quantità delle fiabe ad impressionare, quanto la loro straordinaria capacità di evocare nel lettore una Russia d'altri tempi, ricostruita tramite l'immaginario popolare folcloristico del tempo.
Potenti e sinistre baba yaghe, bellissime principesse, sagge fanciulle, intrepidi contadini, principi do
Mary Catelli
This is, of course, only a selection of his collected works. A fair number of animal tales intermingled, some tales of sillies, among the wonder tales.

As an extensive overview of Russian fairy tales, it's better than most such collections I've read, but I like it less than the other collections (russian and otherwise) I've been reading. I don't know whether it's the translation or possibly a disproportionate number of unhappy endings (though still a minority).

But here we have Vasilisa the Beauti
Diane
This is the largest, most comprehensive collection of Russian fairy tales I have come across. Jeremiah Curtin used similar tales in his "Myths and Folk Tales of the Russians, Western Slavs, and Magyars," which was published in 1903. However, he edited the tales to make them more suitable for his Western audience. I have read other versions of these tales - "Vasilisa the Fair," "Baba Yaga," "Maria Morevna," etc. - but it is nice to read the original versions. This is a large volume, and you can s ...more
Renée Poffley

This Russian imagining of “Little Brother and Little Sister” by Aleksandr Afanas’ev, a renowned Russian ethnographer, has simultaneously more well-rounded characters and less connection between minor characters. It contains the fairy tale motif of three, a sorceress, an enchanted baby goat kid, a king, a bizarre drowning, and a happy ending.

It begins with siblings who have recently been orphaned by their parents, who happened to be king and queen. In spite of this fact, they are alone and wander

Kate
An excellent starting point for anyone interested in fairy tales from non-western cultures; the differences between these and Grimm's are plainly apparent, but they're still familiar enough to be approachable without much need of explanation or introduction. There's a pretty broad mix of theme, and nearly all are appropriate for young children. I first ran across this book in a teacher's yard sale, and it's been a fast favourite ever since. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Kyra
I don't know this edition and can't find the one I've read, but if you haven't read any russian fairy tales, you really should. They're important. "Vasalisa the Beautiful" is a good one...or "Ivan the Fool,"...but like most stories, the obscure ones you can't remember the names of are often the best.
Susanne
This was THE MOST exciting book my mother ever read us in the remote Pacific islands! It was so stimulating to our young imaginations!! All my siblings also remember this book - though not specific stories, just scenes (it WAS a long time ago now!) - which means something too. HIGHLY recommend for children!!
Mary
These fairy tales are so good that I enjoy reading them as an adult. You just can't go wrong with these Russian tales. My mom enjoyed them a lot when she was young and she got me to like them too. Our favorite tale is obviously the one with Baba Yaga.
Suz
This is the first book that made me fall in love with the Pantheon Fairy Tale Library.

It's a collection of Russian Folk Tales, with a decent index and cute illustrations that go along with the stories.
Gaurav
One of my earliest books in child hood, when I was about 11. I had to stress my mind a lot in order to find it on GoodReads.
A good gift for children interested in reading story books.
Bridgett
A large collection of fairy tales, most of which I hadn't heard before, but some were familiar and some reminded me of other similar fairy tales from different parts of the world.
Darren
The illustrations by Ivan Bilibin are what really push this collection of largely Cinderella tales from three stars to five stars. They are beautiful work.
Becky Weaver
These stories are as wonderful, earthy, silly, pointless, profound, violent, and fun as I remember from childhood.
JS
I've read this same book except in Russian. really great, traditional fairy tales. I found them to be very enjoyable.
Joana Doko
I still love this book and this is one of my best memories from my childhood.
Malia
Reading this for a Russian folk tales class. I love Baba Yaga forever.
Eric
absolutely essential reading for anyone interested in fairy tales or russia...
Caitlyn
I started reading this easily four years ago... I keep coming back to it.
whalesister
Best and most complete source of Russian fairy tales that I've found.
Horus
The only reason I didn't give this book a higher rating was due to its readability. This is a translation of the original collection of fairy tales as compiled by Aleksandr Afanas'ev. While a great resource, there are many very similar stories with very repetitive plot lines and some views that would no longer be considered politically correct. This is, however, a great resource for story tellers, writers and students of Russian literature. There is a great, if short analysis at the end of the b ...more
Sarah Leeder
Not for everyone....but I really liked them
Ali
Russian fairytales are awesome. Also weird.
Penelope
Nina
  • Norwegian Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Folktales from India (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Japanese Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • African Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Arab Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • English Fairy Tales
  • Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • Perrault's Fairy Tales
  • Yiddish Folktales
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov (Penguin Classics)
  • Italian Folktales
  • Swedish Folktales and Legends
  • Latin American Folktales: Stories from Hispanic and Indian Traditions (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Northern Tales: Stories from the Native Peoples of the Arctic and Sub-Arctic Regions (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)