Start by marking “Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Saturday the Rabbi Wen...

Harry Kemelman

Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry (The Rabbi Small Mysteries #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  756 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Saturday brings Yom Kippur to Barnard’s Crossing and Rabbi Small is preparing as usual. But his prayers and fasting are interrupted when a member of his congregation is found dead in his car. The police call it accidental. The insurance company calls it suicide. Only Rabbi Small’s pregnant wife, Miriam, thinks it’s murder. Now it’s up to him to prove her right.
Published February 9th 2011 by RosettaBooks (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry

Mary Karlee
This only took a few days to read and it was interesting to learn about Jewish philosophy and how they view the world. I felt a better title would be "Rabbi Knows Best" since the Rabbi turns out to be a super sleuth. This book was recommended by my brother David, and so this comment is directed to him: where the heck did you find this? I liked the book, but I was just kinda perplexed how you came to read a 1960's Jewish Murder-Mystery. Kinda obscure...
Alex
Dec 25, 2014 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, mystery
"Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry" is book 2 of the Rabbi Small Mysteries. While the novel is somewhat dated, it's not too bad.

In this story, Rabbi Small is asked to perform a funeral over a Jewish man who died under suspicious circumstances.. a possible suicide. This might cause problems burying him in the Jewish cemetery since traditionally, suicides were buried at the edge of the synagogue separated from the others. After an investigation, Rabbi Small decides that it was NOT a suicide, but a b
Jonathan Lane
The second book int eh Rabbi Small mystery series. After reading the first book "Friday The Rabbi Slept Late", I jumped on this book expecting the same excellence. Don't get me wrong, this book doesn't disappoint and delivers on the twist at the end when the reader is finally told "who-dun-it". My only issue with this book is that it was a slow start. The first half of the book rather drags on is full of congregational politics. Once the book picks up, you can't put it down. I will defiantly con ...more
Dawn
Was it suicide?? and should the Rabbi have buried him in the Jewish cemetery?? are the key questions in this mystery.

I like Rabbi Small and his reluctant but intellectual style. Thank goodness he has such a practical wife.

This series is turning out to be very good, the formula stays the same but the theology is new and keeps it interesting.
Panu Mäkinen
Lauantaina rabbi kärsi nälkää on Harry Kemelmanin kaksitoistaosaisen Rabbi Small -salapoliisiromaanisarjan toinen osa. Sen tapahtumat sijoittuvat juutalaiseen yhdyskuntaan 1960-luvun Yhdysvaltoihin.

Rabbi ei oikeastaan kärsi nälkää, vaan viettää perinteisin tavoin jom kippuria, juutalaisten tärkeintä juhlaa. Samana päivänä tapahtuu muutakin: muuan juutalaisukko sairastuu eikä suostu ottamaan lääkettään, koska jom kippurina kuuluu paastota, ja eräästä autotallista löytyy kuollut mies. Kuolemantapa
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
A man is found dead drunk in his garage--make that just plain dead. Was it an accident, suicide, or murder? Who would want a harmless mathematician dead, and that on Yom Kippour, the Day of Atonement? Did the corpse have a skeleton in his closet, or was his shiksa wife just hoping to cash in?

Much better than the first volume of the Rabbi Small series, Kemelman begins to hit his stride in this instalment. Good red herrings abound (I always did love rollmops) and the blending of Jewish philosophy
Jamie
Jun 27, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A pleasant read. These first two books are very short, set close together in time, and have the same characters, so that they read together like one average-sized novel.
David
Nov 18, 2007 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting and short. I learned quite a bit about Judaism. Interesting mystery, not entirely predictable. Nice read.
Meredith
When a man is found dead in his car, is it suicide, an accident, or murder?

It's interesting to learn more about the differences in the understanding of suicide between Judaism and Catholicism (and internally comparing that to Lutheran tradition).

And as a pastor, it's nearly hysterical (or painful) to watch the men of the Board twist themselves inside out to cultivate and pacify a rich member on the congregation.
Kris
Aug 16, 2014 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kemelman uses a young Rabbi as the protagonist for this series. Mysteries are quite enjoyable. The stories are full of interesting facts about the Jewish religion. I read all the books in the series.

Sunday the Rabbi Stayed Home
Friday the Rabbi Slept Late
Witness
Oct 04, 2015 Witness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I'm growing to like this character more and more. The unassuming persona of Rabbi Small, and the way the author winds the mystery up in a very thought provoking treatise on Judaism, while still being very engaging, is making these books really enjoyable to read. I will certainly finish the series.
Brent
Mar 16, 2015 Brent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much the same as the first book in the series ("Friday the Rabbi . . ."). Quick, easy read. Another murder involving the Rabbi. More Jewish philosophizing set amidst the 1960s. More temple politics. A bit dated in its views and language. The solution at the last minute could have been more satisfying.
Carl Morton
Nov 25, 2014 Carl Morton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written Mystery. I am quite a fan of the Rabbi David Small. This entire series is well worth your time. If you love a good mystery and especially if you love the classics like Doyle and Christie then you simply must check out Kemelman and his Rabbid David Small Series. Great Book.
Michelle's Book
Feb 23, 2015 Michelle's Book rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

The baby is born and in the typical manner of the time. The murder is solved and Rabbi gets to keep his job.
Ralph McEwen
Another good book in the series. Not quite as captivating as the first one and the political back biting from the congregation's leadership is disquieting but probably a accurate reflection of the way it really is. The story is a little dated but that is part of the charm of it, for me. The mystery is still rather straight forward and you can pretty easily figure it out before the revelation in the end. I liked how the character stayed true to form from book 1. I will continue to read the series ...more
Phil
Mar 02, 2015 Phil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book I love it how the author can work through a complicated mystery with ancient laws! Well done!
Regina
Jul 10, 2015 Regina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. It is like meeting with an old friend that you can trust to be intelligently kind
Ellen
I really enjoy the Rabbi series - both the stories and the narration.
Mary
Jun 30, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second of the Rabbi Small Mysteries. Just a delightful series!
Karen
Dec 14, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying reading the rabbi small series again.
Rose Blum
Sep 03, 2015 Rose Blum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic!!!
John Gilchrist
I liked it
Sharon Rosenberg-Scholl
I did enjoy it in the end. The unneeded explanations still bugged me, but I tried not to let them once my sister told me it was the way things were written then.

I laughed out loud when the Rabbi and his wife arrived at the hospital and her labor had stopped, but they admitted and sedated her anyway! And then sent him home! Oh, the 60's...

And it did keep me guessing. I did not know who dunnit until the very end. So that was well-played.

On to the Sunday book!
Nan Silvernail
Jul 15, 2012 Nan Silvernail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yom Kippur a day of fasting and atonement falls on the Sabbath this year. It can't be any more Holy, but it makes it a little more special. But on this night a lapsed little portly Jewish man, an alcoholic with a tall gorgeous red-haired gentile wife will be found dead in his car in his garage. The widow wants him to be laid to rest with his people, but there is some question - was the death accidental, suicide or murder?
Rebekka Istrail
The presentation of details about Judaism at times felt more forced than in the first Rabbi Small mystery, Friday the Rabbi Slept Late. In particular, it seemed unrealistic that the rabbi explained to his wife why they should make a charitable donation in a monetary multiple of eighteen; I think she would have already known. Still, this was a satisfying story. I heart Rabbi Small!
David
Jul 11, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A second helping - no less appetizing than the first familiar remembrance; but somewhat less fluid and and somewhat forced. I've set aside the next to read as the mood strikes me - and though I am not hankering strongly - I know my appetite to finish retreading these inventive and pleasing stories will win me over as time passes.
Blaine Morrow
I've always been curious about this series and finally tried one. Not bad, though I don't think I'll become a fan. The rabbi is likable enough, and the social issues and internal struggles of his congregation are a nice sidebar, but the mystery itself isn't very exciting and the resolution less than satisfying.
Kathy Rogers
May 25, 2012 Kathy Rogers rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
As ;much as I enjoyed these books in the past, they're a little dated. I'll fnish the series, then pass my home copies on.

I think what I've always liked best about them is the character Rabbi Small, a quiet man with a backbone of steel. In addition, his explanations of Jewish tradition is fascinating.
Ryan
Nov 27, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the politics and drama of the synagogue's board of directors. Every new president brings his own agenda to the table which usually creates some difficulty for Rabbi Small. Even though the series is a little dated, I love series and would highly recommend it.
Allison
Mar 04, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
See my review of Friday the Rabbi Slept Late - I feel the same way about this one. Interesting to see the mentions of the Civil Rights movement - if I didn't know better I'd say the book was a modern period piece, the way they throw it in.
  • Murder on a Kibbutz (Michael Ohayon, #3)
  • Retribution (Lew Fonesca, #2)
  • Maigret and the Nahour Case
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)
  • Death in August
  • Mystery of the Witches' Bridge
  • Death Wears a Red Hat (Father Koesler, #2)
  • Fax Me a Bagel
Harry Kemelman was an American mystery writer and a professor of English. He was the creator of one of the most famous religious sleuths, Rabbi David Small.

His writing career began with short stories for Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine featuring New England college professor Nicky Welt, the first of which, "The Nine Mile Walk", is considered a classic.

The Rabbi Small series began in 1964 with the
More about Harry Kemelman...

The Rabbi Small Mysteries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Friday the Rabbi Slept Late (The Rabbi Small Mysteries #1)
  • Sunday the Rabbi Stayed Home