Start by marking “This Moment Is the Perfect Teacher: Ten Buddhist Teachings on Cultivating Inner Strength and Compassion” as Want to Read:

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Lojong is a powerful Tibetan Buddhist practice created especially for training the mind to work with the challenges of everyday living. It teaches our hearts to soften, reframes our attitude toward difficulty, and allows us to discover a wellspring of inner strength. In this recorded retreat, Pema Chödrön introduces the lojong teachings and explains how we can apply them t ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 22nd 2008 by Shambhala Audio

To ask other readers questions about This Moment Is the Perfect Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Moment Is the Perfect Teacher

Jesy
I was surprised when I first started listening to this book, as it is appears to be a recording from a retreat or other speaking engagement (lower audio quality, audience interaction, etc.)-- not your typical studio-recorded audio book.

That said, I really enjoyed hearing the teachings directly from Pema Chodron. She is straight-forward, gentle and has a sense of humor about her that is engaging and lends credibility to her teachings. Each CD can be listened to as a stand-alone lesson or they ca
Susan
This audio book kept me company in the car – several repetitions – as I digested in short bites Pema Chodrin’s demystification of a few Buddhist teachings. Her focus was on *sitting* with uncomfortable situations and painful emotions rather than covering them up with distractions. It’s not about solving the problem, but about using the problem to identify and change some deep seated patterns in oneself – quite a tall order in our Western culture. Her light-hearted examples amidst her earnestness ...more
KJ Grow
Pema is my new companion on morning walks. Her calm voice, warmth, grace and sense of humor all help me begin each day with an open heart.
Corinna
This was the first thing I read of Chodron's (well, listened to since it's only available as an audio book) and I was tickled by her humor and down-to-earthness. She's just lovely and makes you feel at home right away. Some of the concepts were difficult to keep track of in this format so I had to playback a lot of the material. It's not the kind of audio book you can easily listen to while navigating a busy NYC sidewalk, but it's good for when you're cooking or folding laundry. Overall I walked ...more
Amanda
Very interesting and eye opening. If you read/listen with an open mind (I'm not Buddhist), the teachings are spot on with how to deal with pain and life's difficulties.
Lois Clark-Johnston
Wow, I really loved this. I listened to the different teachings, let them marinate, worked with the meditations. I will return to these teachings again and again. With a deep bow _/\_
Angi
Jan 06, 2015 Angi marked it as to-read
Audiobook category
Ellen
Not done yet "The only reason we don't open our hearts and minds to other people is that they trigger confusion in us that we don't feel brave enough or sane enough to deal with. To the degree that we look clearly and compassionately at ourselves, we feel confident and fearless about looking into someone else's eyes. "
— Pema Chödrön
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
Any book on Buddism is a good book. This one teaches that the idea of the present moment and choosing to be in it, feel it, and not be attached to it is the best teacher. To be void of ego is nirvana in its purest sense and to be in nirvana in the "now" is I think even better, as if that were possible.
Happyreader
Sometimes I feel like Pema is psychic because I would start to listen to this and it would be exactly what I needed to hear at that moment. My only complaint is that the sound quality on this recording is not so hot but other than that a great talk on tonglen practice.
Nancy
Halfway through the first CD, I understood Pain and Compassion. By the third CD I was a Buddhist. By tomorrow I'll probably forget everything, but I am glad that at least while I was listening to Pema's steady voice through her remarkably followable lecture I got it.
Bea Bolinger
Not the best audio book, it breaks things up by time so it bounces around a lot. Still some really good teaches and I'm always interested in how to be a better buddha.
Rennie Frank
Very instructive on Lojong slogans. I always seem to pick up the perfect Pema teaching for what's going on in my life. I highly recommend this one.
Grace
Love Pema she reminds me how to be
I have listened to this at least 15 times
and will listen again soon I am sure.
Jill
May 18, 2011 Jill added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
was listening to this and just couldn't concentrate good enough...might have to give the book version a try.
Dancing
Dancing marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Alena
Alena added it
Jun 28, 2015
Delta Downs
Delta Downs marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Vee
Vee marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Kristi Jackman
Kristi Jackman marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Kathy Frazer
Kathy Frazer marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g
More about Pema Chödrön...
When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living The Wisdom of No Escape: How to Love Yourself and Your World Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion