Start by marking “This Moment Is the Perfect Teacher: Ten Buddhist Teachings on Cultivating Inner Strength and Compassion” as Want to Read:

Lojong is a powerful Tibetan Buddhist practice created especially for training the mind to work with the challenges of everyday living. It teaches our hearts to soften, reframes our attitude toward difficulty, and allows us to discover a wellspring of inner strength. In this recorded retreat, Pema Chödrön introduces the lojong teachings and explains how we can apply them t ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 22nd 2008 by Shambhala Audio

To ask other readers questions about This Moment Is the Perfect Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Moment Is the Perfect Teacher

Suze
Mar 04, 2014 Suze rated it really liked it
This audio book kept me company in the car – several repetitions – as I digested in short bites Pema Chodrin’s demystification of a few Buddhist teachings. Her focus was on *sitting* with uncomfortable situations and painful emotions rather than covering them up with distractions. It’s not about solving the problem, but about using the problem to identify and change some deep seated patterns in oneself – quite a tall order in our Western culture. Her light-hearted examples amidst her earnestness ...more
KJ Grow
Sep 10, 2010 KJ Grow rated it really liked it
Shelves: advice, shambhala, audio
Pema is my new companion on morning walks. Her calm voice, warmth, grace and sense of humor all help me begin each day with an open heart.
Jesy
Jan 05, 2009 Jesy rated it really liked it
I was surprised when I first started listening to this book, as it is appears to be a recording from a retreat or other speaking engagement (lower audio quality, audience interaction, etc.)-- not your typical studio-recorded audio book.

That said, I really enjoyed hearing the teachings directly from Pema Chodron. She is straight-forward, gentle and has a sense of humor about her that is engaging and lends credibility to her teachings. Each CD can be listened to as a stand-alone lesson or they ca
Corinna
This was the first thing I read of Chodron's (well, listened to since it's only available as an audio book) and I was tickled by her humor and down-to-earthness. She's just lovely and makes you feel at home right away. Some of the concepts were difficult to keep track of in this format so I had to playback a lot of the material. It's not the kind of audio book you can easily listen to while navigating a busy NYC sidewalk, but it's good for when you're cooking or folding laundry. Overall I walked ...more
Ellen
Jan 23, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not done yet "The only reason we don't open our hearts and minds to other people is that they trigger confusion in us that we don't feel brave enough or sane enough to deal with. To the degree that we look clearly and compassionately at ourselves, we feel confident and fearless about looking into someone else's eyes. "
— Pema Chödrön
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
Any book on Buddism is a good book. This one teaches that the idea of the present moment and choosing to be in it, feel it, and not be attached to it is the best teacher. To be void of ego is nirvana in its purest sense and to be in nirvana in the "now" is I think even better, as if that were possible.
Happyreader
Oct 19, 2008 Happyreader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Sometimes I feel like Pema is psychic because I would start to listen to this and it would be exactly what I needed to hear at that moment. My only complaint is that the sound quality on this recording is not so hot but other than that a great talk on tonglen practice.
Nancy
Feb 11, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Halfway through the first CD, I understood Pain and Compassion. By the third CD I was a Buddhist. By tomorrow I'll probably forget everything, but I am glad that at least while I was listening to Pema's steady voice through her remarkably followable lecture I got it.
Lois Clark-Johnston
Wow, I really loved this. I listened to the different teachings, let them marinate, worked with the meditations. I will return to these teachings again and again. With a deep bow _/\_
Grace
Jun 11, 2013 Grace rated it it was amazing
Love Pema she reminds me how to be
I have listened to this at least 15 times
and will listen again soon I am sure.
Amanda
Jul 09, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Very interesting and eye opening. If you read/listen with an open mind (I'm not Buddhist), the teachings are spot on with how to deal with pain and life's difficulties.
Bea Elwood
Oct 21, 2010 Bea Elwood rated it liked it
Not the best audio book, it breaks things up by time so it bounces around a lot. Still some really good teaches and I'm always interested in how to be a better buddha.
Jill
May 18, 2011 Jill added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
was listening to this and just couldn't concentrate good enough...might have to give the book version a try.
Rennie Frank
Oct 17, 2012 Rennie Frank rated it it was amazing
Very instructive on Lojong slogans. I always seem to pick up the perfect Pema teaching for what's going on in my life. I highly recommend this one.
Angi
Jan 06, 2015 Angi marked it as to-read
Audiobook category
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Don Belanger
Don Belanger rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Jennifer M
Jennifer M rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2011
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Rich Marcello
Rich Marcello rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Linda Wright
Linda Wright rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Barb Thomas
Barb Thomas rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2009
Brandy
Brandy rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Pink
Pink rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2011
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2011
Rawannie
Rawannie rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Diane
Diane rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g
More about Pema Chödrön...