Start by marking “Meditation in Action” as Want to Read:
Meditation in Action

Meditation in Action

This classic teaching by a Tibetan master continues to inspire both beginners and long-time practitioners of Buddhist meditation. Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche shows that meditation extends beyond the formal practice of sitting to build the foundation for compassion, awareness, and creativity in all aspects of life.

He explores the six activities associated with meditation in a
Published May 21st 1996 by Shambhala (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Meditation in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditation in Action

Jonathan Hays
Mar 14, 2013 Jonathan Hays rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
First published in 1969 this Buddhist gem has not gone out of print for over 40 years. Clearly the author was making an strong effort to present these concepts to the Western mind and he succeeded brilliantly. For anyone interested in Buddhism this is a must read.
h.
Aug 11, 2011 h. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to h. by: Larry
Not especially accesible. Not dumbed down. Not for the sofa-shamans. But if you pick it up, it could give you the swift kick in your ass you're looking for. I assume you'd never pick it up otherwise.

Not for the fool-hardy.
Cynthia Egbert
Apr 28, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it
I love the everyday application that this book offers. I especially appreciate the exercises offered that keep one humble and open to inspiration from whatever deity you receive revelation from in your life. I recommend this one highly if you are interested in getting started in mediation or if you already meditate and you need to move that skill into giving you a sense of stillness in your everyday activities.
Megan
Sep 02, 2014 Megan marked it as to-read
h
Andrew Lenards
May 13, 2012 Andrew Lenards rated it really liked it
The parts about the Manure of Experience and the Ego Bubble were worth reading the entire book. Wicked short! The version I read was 74 pages.
Tim
Aug 12, 2015 Tim rated it liked it
This book struck me as scattered and, while somewhat insightful, it introduces a lot of concepts without having a clear idea of how much the reader ought to know about Buddhism or meditation or what level the reader is at. For example, it rapidly switches from advice for new meditators about learning from scriptures to advice about how to teach wisdom to others.

I understood why this disorder happened when I listened to the afterward. It turns out that the book was transcribed from a series of le
Les
Dec 15, 2011 Les rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-body-soul
Loved it, but then I read this book seeking the precise formula of "answers" described by the author, so I am biased to say the least. Though it's organized in chapters, it reads more like a train of thought monologue seeking to address particular subjects. This is a short book, but it took me a couple of weeks to get through it because it was so densely packed with insight that I had to stop and contemplate. I anticipated a guide or commentary on sitting meditation but the author's aim, which h ...more
Charlie
Nov 12, 2008 Charlie rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
In the highly sensitive and spiritually inclined cultures of India there are a number of forms of Yoga (union-with-the-beloved). One is Bhakti or devotional yoga, another is Karma yoga or the practice of selfless work in service (also called Seva). The ultimate yoga is called Raja yoga or the yoga of kings whereupon, the student is given extensive practices to perform, dietary regulations to adhere to, prayers and words to memorize, and a whole catalog of proscriptions, prescriptions, and inscri ...more
Steve
Aug 27, 2012 Steve rated it liked it
I dunno...i'm going through my shelves of "Eastern Spirituality" and trying to sort the wheat from the chaff, and am not really sure what to do with Trungpa. This time out, I'm leaning "chaff", I'm afraid. One wants to get beyond "concepts", but the Tibetan tradition (for me, at least) overcomplicates with its own conceptual grid. He's a smart guy, just not a great fit for me at present. And too heavy on the guru principle.
Brendan
Jan 24, 2008 Brendan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brendan by: Katie H
Just a taste...

"We never allow anything to really happen or take place in our mind. One thought comes and almost before we finish that another one comes in and overlaps it and then another."

It's a quick read and a nice overview of Tibetan (yes?) buddhism. Sometimes it felt like stream of consciousness and a little hard to follow, but there were some gems like the one above.
Jerry Deyton
Oct 03, 2016 Jerry Deyton rated it it was amazing
Trungpa's first dabbling in what became in my opinion the most well rounded aspect of his teaching career. After the accident it seemed he lost his birthright , and in personal interviews always had dreary demeanor cast over...In meditation the healthy body is essential, especially in the higher schools of Tibetan and Vajrayna..
Ann Evans
Dec 31, 2011 Ann Evans rated it really liked it
Astonishingly simple explanations of the deepest things of life. The stories of Buddha and the great teachers are woven into the rest of his explanations in a way that does not seem didactic. He has a grace and depth which is beguiling and nourishing. I've learned a lot.
Elise Blair
Apr 04, 2013 Elise Blair rated it did not like it
I just could not get into his style of writing. I kept finding myself daydreaming about something else. Had trouble being mindful when it came to this one. But the girl who lent it to me is reading it for a second time so what do I know.
Nicholas Smith
Jan 11, 2015 Nicholas Smith rated it it was amazing
This little book is a powerhouse. I'm early in my buddhist meditation studies, but the ease in which Trungpa tackles complex topics like the self and the ego is perspective-shifting. The humility of the words is striking. The colorful stories sear in the mind. This book will be read again.
Nathalie
Feb 25, 2015 Nathalie rated it it was ok
I actually did not like it. I thought it was going to be about things like walking meditation, etc, instead it turned out to be a big philosophical thing about what meditation is and is not. Very boring (for me). Felt like splitting hair in 12!! Me no likey...
James Irwin
May 07, 2015 James Irwin rated it it was amazing
A collection of philosophers, writers, thinkers, Native American wisdom, which shows that the spiritual side needs as much attention as the physical side. It's about feeding the soul, evolving spirituality...forward by Duncan Goodhew
Þór Hauksson
Apr 04, 2015 Þór Hauksson rated it liked it
As much as Trungpa's book "Smile at Fear" resonated with me, this book (being one of his more widely read) did not manage to generate the same effect. Perhaps because it is less exotic, explaining meditation in a more down-to-earth fashion.
absitmonchai
Oct 12, 2012 absitmonchai rated it it was amazing
The quintessential book on mindfulness by one of the most profound teachers of Tibetan Buddhism this century has seen.
Sally
Jan 26, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it
A very clear modern presentation of some of the basic ideas of Buddhism, but in a way anyone can benefit from. A helpful book.
Nov 11, 2008 5 rated it it was amazing
read this once, thought about it for two years, am now reading it again. think I'm getting it this time. no doubt I am fooling myself.
Marlo
May 29, 2007 Marlo rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
While there is no substitute for a real teacher, this book offers some solid advice for those seeking to learn about the practice of meditation.
Erick
Apr 27, 2015 Erick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meditation
A must read for anyone getting into meditation and a great introduction to buddhist way of thinking.
Leslie
There were parts of this book that I found very interesting but I think I am also comparing it with another one of Chogyam Trungpa's books that I found more valuable.
Tarmo
Jun 09, 2015 Tarmo rated it liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Not about how to meditate, but what meditation is. Also about Buddism, lamas and the mindset. Bit too slow and philosophical. I wanted more info about how to meditate.
Meg
Apr 29, 2015 Meg rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful and still relevant introduction to the six paramitas, and the purpose of meditation in one's life.
50wfs
Mar 07, 2017 50wfs rated it really liked it
For unless one is able to overcome the initial excitement, one will not be able to learn, because any form of emotional excitement has a blinding effect. One fails to see life as it is because one tends so much to build up one's own version of it.
Therefore one should never commit oneself or conform to any religious or political structure without first finding the real essence of what one is looking for. Labeling oneself, adopting an ascetic way of life or changing one's costume - none of these
Ellie
very good, down to earth and inspirational. If you can breathe you can meditate
Peter Yumi
Feb 22, 2008 Peter Yumi rated it it was amazing
Seriously one of the most profound books I learned so much about meditation from this.
Robtee
Oct 25, 2009 Robtee rated it it was amazing
get out of the house!
Cyndee
Mar 10, 2009 Cyndee rated it it was amazing
A really nice guide to meditation, without frills, written by a true Tibetan master.
  • The Pocket Pema Chodron
  • Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living (Being Peace, #2)
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Stages of Meditation
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Women Of Wisdom
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • Nothing Special
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Nine-Headed Dragon River: Zen Journals, 1969-1982
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཆོས་ རྒྱམ་ དྲུང་པ་ Wylie: Chos rgyam Drung pa; also known as Dorje Dradul of Mukpo, Surmang Trungpa, after his monastery, or Chökyi Gyatso, of which Chögyam is an abbreviation) was a Buddhist meditation master, scholar, teacher, poet, and artist. He was the 11th descendent in the line of Trungpa tulkus of the Kagyü school of Tibetan Buddhism. He was al ...more
More about Chögyam Trungpa...