Start by marking “The Brass Bottle” as Want to Read:
The Brass Bottle

F. Anstey

The Brass Bottle

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishingââ‚â„¢s Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature. Kes ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Brass Bottle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brass Bottle

Caseyazalea
Who knew the origin of "I Dream of Jeannie" was set in Victorian-era London? Good-natured but unfortunate architect Horace accidentally releases a 5000-years bottled-up Jinnee, whose well-meaning but horribly misguided efforts to reward him nearly ruin his life in various comical ways. This Jinnie is more Robin Williams than Barbara Eden, but his stubborn ignorance of the modern Western world is what causes all the trouble for Horace.

Horace's character is what made this book so readable and am
Sylvester
2.5* The age-old question: What to wish for if I find a bottle with a genie in it? The answer turns out to be very simple - Wish that you'd never opened it.
Old-fashioned fun. Just as in "Vice Versa" however, Anstey starts off with a nice clip which turns to molasses halfway through. Great plot, terrible pacing.
Julie Davis
Feb 15, 2012 Julie Davis rated it really liked it
A LibriVox free audiobook that I liked the description of ... and whose reader I enjoy. I've just begun and have enjoyed the humor evident in the first chapter.
A djinn, sealed in a jar for three thousand years, has been found by Horace Ventimore, a young and not very flourishing architect. Upon his release the djinn expresses his gratitude by seeking to grant his benefactor's every wish--generally with results the very opposite to those desired! A few movies and at least one TV series used this
Alexandra
May 05, 2015 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking past the racism of the time it was written in, just as I do with the sexism of many other books, it is an enjoyable story.
It's light hearted without being lightweight and convoluted. I really liked.

I just have one suggestion. For most of this story, I listened to the librivox reading of this, and here and there throughout it, the quality drops, then the last reader was so awful that she spoiled the last two chapters. Honestly, unless you need an audiobook, stick to text. And if you do ne
Jeff Miller
Dec 31, 2011 Jeff Miller rated it really liked it
Quite a delightful read and not quite what I expected. This is not the 3-wishes-genie-in-a-bottle type plot, but in the same genre. The young man's reaction to the genie is rather funny and while the plot follows the wishes that results in disaster plot line, it does it in it's own manner.

I am reading next another of this authors books, Vice Versa which was the first take on the Father/Son switch plot that was later seen in the movie of the same name (which did not credit the author) and Big.

Ava
Peter
Sep 16, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated now but still great fun!
Liz
Aug 14, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an old one I happened to find on eNYPL... very funny treatment of just how wrong it can go if you let the genie out of the bottle. There's also apparently a 1964 movie based on this, with Tony Randall and Burl Ives. And I see in the Goodreads description that the author also wrote "Vice Versa," a body-switching-with-a-relative story (one of my favorite movie genres) that has a Judge Reinhold/Fred Savage 80s film version. This F. Anstey is the unacknowledged father of zany Hollywood.
Neil
Dec 24, 2012 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent genie in a bottle yarn, charming old-fashioned fun, exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for when I began to read F. Anstey. A young architect purchases a brass bottle and finds himself in an Arabian nights story as a genie wrecks havoc and ruins his social life in turn of the century London.
Jay Dee
Dec 03, 2013 Jay Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Quaint, fun read. There wasn't a dull moment as the hapless Ventimore clings on to his morality, and the Djinn Fakrash never fails to concoct increasingly absurd dilemmas under the guise of 'rewards'. The novel is fast paced and avoids the prolixity of most authors of the time.
John Frankham
Dec 12, 2013 John Frankham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-fiction
A very good example of the light humourous novel of the late Victorian period. Other similar authors are Ernest Bramah (The Wallet of Kai-Lung) and Jerome K Jerome (Three Men in a Boat).
Selenita
Apr 10, 2010 Selenita marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Наконец-то прочитаю оригинал "Хоттабыча"!
Rusty Hicks
Rusty Hicks marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
May 09, 2016
Jann Cather Weaver
Jann Cather Weaver marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Olena
Olena rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Martin Åberg
Martin Åberg rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Jacob Elkins
Jacob Elkins marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Elisabeth Perrin
Elisabeth Perrin rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Summ3r
Summ3r marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Amy Sabbar
Amy Sabbar marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Georgie
Georgie rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Artur Demidov
Artur Demidov rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Pearl Read
Pearl Read marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Kent Harris
Kent Harris rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Phil Clymer
Phil Clymer rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Guillem
Guillem marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Thomas Anstey Guthrie (8 August 1856 - 10 March 1934), was an English novelist and journalist, who wrote his comic novels under the pseudonym F. Anstey.

He was born in Kensington, London, to Augusta Amherst Austen, an organist and composer, and Thomas Anstey Guthrie. He was educated at King's College School and at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and was called to the bar in 1880.[1] But the popular succes
More about F. Anstey...