Start by marking “Archimedes' Revenge: The Joys and Perils of Mathematics” as Want to Read:
Archimedes' Revenge: The Joys and Perils of Mathematics

Archimedes' Revenge: The Joys and Perils of Mathematics

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Syndicated columnist Paul Hoffman provides an acclaimed account of the world of modern mathematicians in the bestselling tradition of accessible scientists Stephen Jay Gould and Tracey Kidder. An extremely clever account.--The New Yorker.
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published July 30th 1989 by Crest (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Archimedes' Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Archimedes' Revenge

Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. HofstadterFermat's Enigma by Simon SinghFlatland by Edwin A. AbbottThe Code Book by Simon SinghZero by Charles Seife
Best Books About Mathematics
127th out of 215 books — 360 voters
Einstein by Walter IsaacsonMartin Heidegger by Rüdiger SafranskiGenius by James GleickThe Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas S. KuhnThe Undiscovered Self by C.G. Jung
Scientists and Philosophers
31st out of 96 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

I generally like to mix in some popular science books but this didn't do it for me. It was a disjointed read because it jumped into four separate areas of mathematics and none of the areas really held my attention and I ended up skipping through some pages. The four sections covered are number theory, shapes and topology, computer science, and the mathematics of voting.

Of the four, the number theory section is the most interesting but if that's your bag then just go read Simon Singh's two books
This one is a good one to read a couple of chapters, then regurgitate math curiosity in the lunch room. Yes, I'm very popular at work.

Still, messing with cipher basics comes in handy, like how often certain letters and words occur in English. For example, pretend you teach first grade and you are watching six-year olds try to stretch out words like, "you."

They sound out, "/Yu as in "yarn"/, /aw as in "octopus"/, /uh as in "umbrella"/." Then they look at you like, okay, "yaawuh, I'm done." Their
I've been meaning to get to this book since I bought it some twenty-plus years ago. It was the worth the wait, and all the intricacies of current research in mathematics c.1988 were revealed. One of the more interesting chapters deals with cryptography, and made mention of the Beale Papers, unsolved ciphers that describe a buried treasure that is still awaiting discovery somewhere in Bedford, Virginia.
somewhat outdated (especially the parts on computing and AI), but still a pleasant read.
jonathan berger
The earlier chapters deal with classic mathematical problems and history, but once the book gets "current" for the time it was written--the late 1980s--its a little dated. All in all, I'd skip this book and go straight to Hoffman's incredible biography of mathematician Paul Erdos, "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers".
Puck Duimdus
Some highly interesting stories about the history of science and maths in particular. Yet, though it pretends to be written for people without any prior knowledge/talent and even while I took math classes for 6 year on college level, I found a lot of it incomprehensible.
This was a really enjoyable read about some of the curiosities of mathematics. The game theory portion is a well written introduction and very readable.
Michael Davis
I liked it. A great trip through varied areas of mathematics without any real mathematics (which would have made the book impossibly long).
Eric Knight
It makes me want to go out and start breaking codes!
Exploring my mathematical roots...
Mill marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Michael Spiegel
Michael Spiegel marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Lieblingsbuch marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Ethan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
B. marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Cutzinas marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Gary marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jack marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Sam MacIntyre
Sam MacIntyre marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
John Wimmer
John Wimmer marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Matthew Dambro
Matthew Dambro marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Nadia marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • Mathematical Mysteries: The Beauty and Magic of Numbers
  • Once Upon A Number: The Hidden Mathematical Logic Of Stories
  • Mathematics: The New Golden Age
  • The Mathematical Tourist: New & Updated Snapshots of Modern Mathematics
  • Mathematics: Is God Silent?
  • The Magical Maze
  • The Colossal Book of Mathematics
  • PI in the Sky: Counting, Thinking, and Being
  • The Recursive Universe: Cosmic Complexity and the Limits of Scientific Knowledge
  • The Calculus Wars: Newton, Leibniz, and the Greatest Mathematical Clash of All Time
  • The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved: How Mathematical Genius Discovered the Language of Symmetry
  • Math and the Mona Lisa: The Art and Science of Leonardo da Vinci
  • Ada, the Enchantress of Numbers: A Selection from the Letters of Lord Byron's Daughter and Her Description of the First Computer
  • The Principles of Mathematics
  • Math Magic: The Human Calculator Shows How to Master Everyday Math Problems in Seconds
  • Unknown Quantity: A Real and Imaginary History of Algebra
  • Euclid's Window: The Story of Geometry from Parallel Lines to Hyperspace
Paul Hoffman (born 1956) is a prominent author and host of the PBS television series Great Minds of Science. He was president and editor in chief of Discover, in a ten-year tenure with that magazine, and served as president and publisher of Encyclopaedia Britannica before returning full-time to writing and consulting work.

He lives in Woodstock, New York. Author of at least ten books, he has appea
More about Paul Hoffman...
The Man Who Loved Only Numbers: The Story of  Paul Erdős and the Search for Mathematical Truth King's Gambit: A Son, a Father, and the World's Most Dangerous Game Wings of Madness: Alberto Santos-Dumont and the Invention of Flight Dictionary Shmictionary!: A Yiddish and Yinglish Dictionary The New Nixon