Start by marking “DC Universe: Legacies” as Want to Read:
DC Universe: Legacies

DC Universe: Legacies (DC Universe: Legacies Complete)

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This sensational history of the DC Universe is told from the dawn of superheroes during World War II through to the present day starring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, the Teen Titans and many, many more.

Acclaimed writer Len Wein tells the DC Universe’s epic history in this graphic novel spanning five generations of heroes, fr

Published August 30th 2011 by DC Comics

Anne
Jul 23, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok

Legacies is DC's answer to Marvels...only not as good.
Like Marvels, DC's history is told through the eyes of an everyman. Instead of a photographer, though, he's a cop.

In a way it's sort of interesting, because it hits all of the major events in the DC universe from beginning to...well, not end, but to The OMAC Project.
Unfortunately, it's also a clunky read. Instead of reading a flowing narrative about how the superhuman events were interwoven into this guy's life, you get jerky starts
John Yelverton
Sep 11, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was ok
Basically, it's a recap of the continuity world of DC Comics as told by one guy, whom you've never seen before, but was apparently at every big thing that went down for the last eighty years. I would only recommend this book for someone who has just gotten into comics and has no idea what events are being referred to in the books they're reading.
Paul Riches
Nov 30, 2011 Paul Riches rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-comics
I finally got around to reading something really cool.

DCU Legacies is a 10 issue series retelling the modern history of the DC Universe through the eyes of one man. But it's really a hallmark card to the various and diverse characters, themes and genres that DC has dabbled in over the last 70 years or so.

The story begins in the dirty thirties with one little kid meeting his first "mystery man" and how shortly thereafter he decides to walk the straight and narrow in life. He also begins a life-lo
Alan
Aug 05, 2012 Alan rated it really liked it
Even though DC recently rebooted their entire super hero line this compilation of the 10 issue series (including the backup stories from each issue) is in many ways a loving history of their line. Beginning in the depression laden late 1930s up to the early 21st Century narrator Paul Lincoln talks about the history of those who were first called mystery men and the effect it had on his life.

Writer Len Wein is an old DC Comics hand, and I think it was an editorial decision by Mike Carlin and Joey
Jamie
Oct 02, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
This book takes a walk through the history of the DC universe (at a course level) through the eyes of a retired Metropolis detective, and tracks the transition of tales from the Golden Age (when it was all fun and games) to the more recent grimy and dark stories and characters of the last several decades. The first couple books deal with the Golden Age, and the transition period to the more recent era. What I found interesting was the campiness of it all, from plot devices like revolving door in ...more
Lee Battersby
May 25, 2014 Lee Battersby rated it liked it
Framed as a DC version of Marvel's excellent Marvels, there's no shortage of talent on this book, from writer Len Wein through to a roster of artists that would be the envy of any company: Kuberts ndy and Joe; Dave Gibbons; Walt Simonson; Keith Giffen; Jerry Ordway; Dan Jurgens; Brian Bolland; Frank Quitely; Bill Sienkiewicz... the list just goes on and on. And in the end, it's that talent that save the book because, really, it's really just not that good.

DC has great characters and no mistake:
Susan
Feb 16, 2012 Susan rated it did not like it
Gavin
Jul 21, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I loved everything about this book. It serves as a guide to the history of DC, with the JLA/JSA as the basis for what happens, including mostly all the major events. Seen through the eyes of an old man who was there and grew up around it all, which is a very cool way to put it in perspective. Loved seeing old characters like the Sandman, Dr. Mid-Nite, and original Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, along with just about every other character under the sun. Having one separate narrator strengthens the s ...more
Bryson Kopf
This is a nice love letter to all of the previous major EVENTS (all caps required) in the DC Universe, and now sort of works as a last hurrah for this history with the new 52 mostly wiping the slate clean. Much like Kurt Busiek & Alex Ross' Marvels, we get a POV character in the form of Paul Lincoln, who we see grow up on the hard streets of Metropolis (pre-Superman) into his later years as a police officer. Wein does a great job hitting a lot of the highs of the last 80 odd years of DC Comi ...more
Dean
Jan 01, 2015 Dean rated it really liked it
Personally I really enjoyed this, a journey through DC's long history. A bit simplistic? Yep. The framing story that links all the major events just a little too pat? Probably. But for all that, it's heart is in the right place and I enjoyed wandering down memory lane. Most major DC events are covered in a sort of 'greatest hits' format, and I like the nice touch of having artists from that era draw those stories most identified with them (80's Perez for example).
It's nice, uncomplicated read th
Mark
Mar 04, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
A long-form "history" of the DC Universe, told through the eyes of cop in Metropolis. Another book that requires a long-term dedication to the DC universe to appreciate the subtle references.

The short stories at the end are EXTREMELY weak - I'd give the main story 4 stars.
Dan
This was a great graphic novel that re-told some of the major events from the DC Comics Universe from the start of the Golden Age with the Justice Society of America up to the 21st century. These stories are told from the perspective of retired police detective Paul Lincoln (who looks a lot like Paul Newman) and he goes over his collection of newspaper headlines and clippings from the past. It reminded me a bit of Kurt Busiek's 'Marvels' which told the history of Marvel Comics through the point ...more
Yosef Shapiro
Mar 28, 2015 Yosef Shapiro rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Len wein weaves together characters from several eras of DC comics history . This story puts together a history of the DC universe through the eyes of one character and follows him a he ages .
Hassanchop
Feb 08, 2014 Hassanchop rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A fun read for someone that grew up on DC books in the 70's and 80's. Also there is a lovely Brian Bolland Camelot short.
Curtis Hempler
Jan 30, 2012 Curtis Hempler rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
This is a great whirlwind tour of the DC Universe... Len Wein does a good job of hitting the high point of DC continuity, with a heavy focus on the publisher's crossover events. The framing story is decent, but Scott Kolins' art for those segments is a limiting factor. The real stars of this book are the artists. The likes of Joe Kubert, Frank Quitely, and Bill Sincewicz make this a very enjoyable read, despite the somewhat choppy nature of the book.

The end result; a nice overview of the DCU as
Andrew Huey
Nov 29, 2015 Andrew Huey rated it really liked it
I'd call this a flawed but interesting retelling of DC Universe history.
There's some great artwork here, from a variety of artists, so I'd say the book is worth reading just for that.
The overall retelling of several major DCU events is pretty dry though. Not much in the way of additional insight or perspective is added, in most cases.
If you're expecting too much out of this, you'll be disappointed. But if you're just looking for a lot of really nice art with a story that ties it together adequat
Steven
Oct 12, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it
Solid recap of the 70 year continuity (or what it's become over time with the many reboots and revamps since 1985), with no real surprises, honestly.

The weakest part was simply showing how often since the Crisis that DC has relied on "deaths" or serious injuries to characters to drive "event" stories. Lumped all together, it reads like something took the fun and morality out of comics, threw in blood and uber-violence, and hit frappe.
Michelle Cristiani
Oct 11, 2013 Michelle Cristiani rated it really liked it
Great retelling of the major events in the DC history. I loved the way Wein incorporated everything, even the weird multiverse stuff. I wish I'd read this sooner, when I was trying to figure out the continuity in all this.

I didn't love the way it ended, but I guess it couldn't have ended any other way.

The end snapshots were disjointed and not very entertaining for me personally. Except that Darkseid, as always, is awesome.
Ron DeVinitz
Mar 01, 2012 Ron DeVinitz rated it liked it
Too much of the book becomes events that the central character was never present for, so it kind of loses it's purpose. I liked it, but it focuses for almost half of it's run on events from the past 20 years. That's poorly balanced.
Despite the pacing issues, I enjoyed it, and I thought it was a great idea to basically take a tour of the DCU, despite that it was all re-written a few months later.
Gregory
Sep 18, 2012 Gregory rated it it was amazing
This collection of stories from the Golden Age to the Modern Age is excellent. The history of the DCU is told from the perspective of an everyman and well written by Swamp Thing creator Len Wein. This series is a celebration of DC Comics 75th anniversary. Reading this book has made me want to read Marvels which too is from the perspective of an everyman.

This is a must read for fans of DC Comics.
Rebecca
Jul 01, 2012 Rebecca added it
Recommends it for: Fans of classic DC comics
More than just another story in the vast DC Universe, Legacies humanizes the often outrageous events from the Golden Age to the Crisis and beyond in the tradition of Alex Ross' Marvels. It also manages to mirror the history of comics themselves, most notably in the darker edge seen post-Killing Joke.
Jamil
Oct 16, 2011 Jamil rated it it was ok
nice Quitely NEW GODS short aside, this was a pointless endeavor even before the reboot. & if I never have to read another Marvels retread again, I'll be happy.
Patrick
Aug 22, 2013 Patrick rated it liked it
I wanted to give it four stars, but I just couldn't. A solid book, I thought it was going to be better. Started out strong but kind of got lost in the middle. good, but not that great.
Dave Jones
Sep 26, 2011 Dave Jones rated it really liked it
Lovely retelling of the history of the DC universe as seen through the idea of a good cop. Very good storytelling and great art. A little derivative of Marvels.
George Gee
Jun 22, 2012 George Gee rated it liked it
If you're a DC comics fan for the past 2 decades then this made sense even as it did a bit of story retelling but it becomes moot now that DC has done a major reboot.
Mathew Carruthers
Mar 02, 2012 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it
An excellent primer for the DC universe as seen through the eyes of a single narrator. Good stuff.
Mike McDevitt
Apr 09, 2012 Mike McDevitt rated it liked it
Lovely artwork. It's a nice tour of a now-vanished DC history, useful for that purpose only.
Brian
Apr 27, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
fun, light tour of the history of the DC universe through one person's pint of view
Mark Stratton
Apr 14, 2012 Mark Stratton rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Other reviewers have already stated the obvious, but I really did enjoy this book.
Chambers Stevens
Jul 12, 2013 Chambers Stevens rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A loving tribute to DC Comics.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Batman: The World of the Dark Knight
  • 47 Ronin
  • The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck: Volume 2
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 3
Len Wein is an American comic book writer and editor best known for co-creating DC Comics' Swamp Thing and Marvel Comics' Wolverine, and for helping revive the Marvel superhero team the X-Men (including the co-creation of Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus). Additionally, he was the editor for writer Alan Moore and illustrator Dave Gibbons' influential DC miniseries Watchmen.

Wein was inducted into