Start by marking “The King's Man” as Want to Read:
The King's Man

Read Book* *Different edition

The King's Man (Guardians of the Crown #2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Kit Lovell is one of the King’s men, a disillusioned Royalist who passes his time between cheating at cards, living off his wealthy and attractive mistress and by plotting the death of Oliver Cromwell.

Fleeing a sadistic and ambitious suitor, Thamsine Granville is alone, penniless and friendless in London. She has her own reasons for wanting Cromwell dead and when she hurls
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 328 pages
Published October 19th 2010 by Smashwords (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Man

Phrynne
May 16, 2016 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in Alison Stuart's Guardians of the Crown trilogy but it can be read as a stand alone since the main characters are different from the first book. Like the first one though this book is a great balance of historical fact and romantic fiction.
The two main characters, Kit and Thamsine, are well drawn and very likable. The baddy is very bad indeed and some of the action is quite brutal. The author's knowledge of the historical setting is really good and of course we get to experi
Brenda
Thamsine Granville was hungry; she hadn’t eaten since the previous day and now, in the centre of a huge crowd of people waiting to see Oliver Cromwell pass by, she did something which she hadn’t fully thought through – and when she was snatched from disaster by a strong and determined young man she was frantic. But the entry into Thamsine’s life by the man, whose name was Kit Lovell meant unexpectedly her future changed. But was it for the better – or was it infinitely worse?

Kit Lovell lived lif
Lynxie
If you've read the blurb and you're not intrigued by that, then I don't know what will draw you into a book.

This story has it all; Friendship, hardship, romance, war, blackmail, assassination, drunken tavern songs, bawdy wenches and plotting and dishonesty as thick as three planks of wood. The plot is twisted and gnarly and will drag you along however unwittingly you may be, down the dimly lit corridors of this 16th century historical tale.

Thankfully, it's not all doom and gloom. Kit and Thamsi
Wendy
Nov 18, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The English Civil War is a period of history I have only recently become interested in, largely thanks to the superb novels set during that time by the British author Stella Riley, who is, in my opinion, one of the best historical fiction/historical romance writers out there. Alison Stuart wasn’t previously on my radar, but now I’ve read The King’s Man, I’m definitely going to seek out more of her books.

Christopher Lovell – Kit to his friends – is disenchanted, disillusioned and fed up with life
Amanda
Sep 22, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

THE KING'S MAN by Alison Stuart is an artfully splendid historical story that will leave you yearning for more!

Ms. Stuart has brought to life characters that are fascinating, compelling and full of life and the plot she has created is so intricately woven that it keeps the pages turning in this entertaining read. Full of depth and realism, this story will rivet you until the end. The dialogues are delivered with weighty assurance and endow the characters with its power. Carefully constructed bac
Linda
Sep 05, 2015 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Set in the time of Oliver Cromwell, the story opens with the heroine Thamsine, in a moment of desperation to escape being caught (whom by, is only revealed much later) hurls a brick at the coach of passing Oliver Cromwell. As soldiers rush to arrest her, she is saved by a kind stranger who takes her to an inn run by his former sergeant. But Kit Lovell, her savior, is a man deeply entrenched in a world of espionage and betrayal. Once the King's man he is now firmly under the thumb of Cromwell's S ...more
Darlene Williams
Sep 19, 2012 Darlene Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cromwell is king in all but name in England, while Charles II bides his time at his cousin's Court. Numerous plots abound to put Charles back on the throne in England, but none have yet succeeded.

Thurloe, Cromwell's spymaster and Secretary to the Council of State, wields substantial power in England and holds the lives of his many unwilling spies in his hands. He is a master at inducing individuals to turn traitor to Charles with threats and inside knowledge.

Kit Lovell is one of those unfortunat
Mavh
Nov 03, 2012 Mavh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Few historical romances are based in the turbulent period of history when Cromwell controlled England and Charles II was in exile in France. I opened this novel anticipating something new and different. What I didn’t expect was to be plunged into a heroic tale of a man and woman who find lasting love in a world of treachery, betrayal, and death.

Ms. Stuart delves into dark places in the human soul with a hero and heroine who leap off the pages, passionate and larger-than-life. Her fast-paced plo
Pratr- Authors
Oct 08, 2015 Pratr- Authors rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Fangs
It's London 1654. King Charles is in exile and Cromwell is leading England. There are people that want to restore the King to his rightful place and get rid of Cromwell. Kit Lovell is in on the planning of how to do this. Thamsine has been on the run for the last six months. In desperation she throws a brick bat at Cromwells carriage. Now she is wanted for attempted murder. Kit comes to her rescue and even finds her work and a place to stay. The two end up in a whirlwind of secrets and es
Hina Tabassum
Sep 21, 2015 Hina Tabassum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I started this book, I knew I could expect something extra ordinary. Not your every day romance but a whole lot of life and misery making the situations all the more real for a reader. And I was not wrong. This book delivered on the promise set in the first of the series; the one that preceded it.

Thamsine Granville is hiding from someone. Someone who catches her on the streets of London. To avoid being caught, she has no other option but to stage a diversion. A diversion that just as well see
Helen
Sep 19, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MS Stuart has never disappointed me with her stories and this one is a fabulous read with an adventure and romance set during hard times in England when Charles Stuart king of England is in exile in France and Cromwell is leading England there are of course problems within families and friends as the people take sides and government leaders and the people do what they must to survive.

Thamsine Granville has lost everything she is on the run from the man who would have her as a wife she has not ea
Cheryl Steckling
The King's Man (Guardians of the Crown Book 2) Kindle Edition by Alison Stuart
It is London in 1654 and Kit Lovell is one of the King’s men and he spends time cheating on playing card, plotting the death of Oliver Cromwell, and playing with his mistress.
Thamsine Granville finds herself broke, she has money coming to her but the only way she can get it is by marrying the man that has a hold on it. Terrified, in pain and alone she hurls brick at Oliver Cromwell. She could be sentenced to death for
I keep enjoying Stuart’s works, one after the other. I really need to get to the one I have on hold as from the trend she’s been following, I think I’ll enjoy it. She excels in this addition as well. Her emotional resonance and ability to take her readers on an amazing, romantic journey always pleases.

I haven’t had a historical romance take me on as powerful an emotional journey as this one did in a while. All the trials that Kit and Thamsine go through, from kidnapping to jail time in the Tower
Isabel Ogilvie
Jan 27, 2015 Isabel Ogilvie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't think I would enjoy this book as the English Civil War is not my favourite period in history, but I loved it. Became a real page turner. Couldn't put it down.
Dottie
Sep 19, 2015 Dottie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Stuart has splendidly written a historical romance that takes place during a turbulent period. Despite this her characters are so wonderful we know men in the era were strong but she has made the heroine extremely strong and that is not easy to do. Kit Lovell and Thamsine Granville meet when she is recued by him from soldiers. She falls a little in love with him then realizes he will betray her. A very intriguing story with just enough history and lots of everything a historical romance read ...more
kathie

Kit was a great hero. I also enjoyed reading about this time in England's history.
Deanna from Deanna's World
This book is a reflection of the time it was set it. It is full of turmoil, tragedy, and heartbreak. It is at times poignant, at times intense and at times heart wrenching.

This reads more like a historical fiction with touches of romance (enough to make my romantic heart glad) then a historical romance but it is brilliantly written and thoughtfully presented.

The English Civil War is a terrible time in England's history, where brother turned against brother, neighbours sold each other out and fri
Robyn Rychards
Dec 19, 2015 Robyn Rychards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read an historical I've enjoyed as much as this one in a long time. I hated not being able to sit down and read the whole thing straight through because life kept getting in the way! This story is a great mix of political intrigue, romance and suspense and based on an actual event-which I thoroughly loved. Looking forward to reading the rest of the stories in this series!
Talking Books
Oct 03, 2015 Talking Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable tale and the ensuing attachment between Thamsine and Kit was captivating. The added characters of May and Nan had the heartstrings pulling with their camaraderie and support. Double crossings, mayhem and a bit of romance, this book was entertaining throughout!
4 stars
Review copy received from the Publisher
Alexia
Sep 14, 2015 Alexia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The King's Man (Guardian's of the Crown Book 2)" by Alison Stuart is my first read by this author. I enjoyed this story very much and want to go back to read the first book in this series. The author does an amazing job with details, and people in the book. You will not have to read the first one in order to be able to follow along in this story.

Kathy Cohen
A little different perspective on a hero/heroine, who both must trade their allegiances in order to survive during Oliver Cromwell's governance of England as Lord Protector. The ending hints at a sequel.
Cate Ellink
Jan 10, 2013 Cate Ellink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Alison Stuart's stories. They're full of depth with lots of fascinating characters. In this one, she has you love a man who's lost his self-respect and honour and has no love for himself. I wish I knew how she did that :) Thamsine, the heroine, is so strong. In a time when women are often portrayed as insipid and vacuous, Alison Stuart makes her women strong, independent and opinionated... And I love them!!
Nan Hawthorne
Jul 16, 2011 Nan Hawthorne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun.. the protagonist is Kit Lovell, a wonderfull angst ridden but terribly heroic and sexy cavalier.
Tea Cooper
Jan 14, 2013 Tea Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon!
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Lyuda
Lyuda marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Christine Woinich
Christine Woinich marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
MichelleG
MichelleG marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Add book to Author profile 5 21 Aug 03, 2015 06:54PM
Award winning Australian author, Alison Stuart learned her passion from history from her father. She has been writing stories since her teenage years but it was not until 2007 that her first full length novel was published. A past president of the Romance Writers of Australia, Alison has now published seven full length historical romances and a collection of her short stories. Many of her stories ...more
More about Alison Stuart...

Guardians of the Crown (3 books)
  • By The Sword (Guardians of the Crown, #1)
  • Exile's Return (Guardians of the Crown #3)

“Thamsine Granville had not begun the day with the intention of killing Oliver Cromwell.” 0 likes
“He missed her intelligent companionship and her high-handed disrespect for him.” 0 likes