Start by marking “The Secret Doctrine” as Want to Read:
The Secret Doctrine

The Secret Doctrine

Madame Blavatsky's Victorian-era masterpiece is now scaled down to its essentials, providing the most readable, accessible experience ever of one of history's seminal occult works. The Secret Doctrine, Helena Petrovna Blavatsky's masterwork on the origin and evolution of the universe and humanity itself, is arguably the most famous, and perhaps the most influential, occult ...more
ebook, Abridged, 288 pages
Published July 23rd 2009 by Tarcher (first published 1888)

Gregg
May 09, 2015 Gregg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: metaphysics
When I first considered reading the The Secret Doctrine, I thought I had a pretty good back ground in the understanding of esoteric interpretations of nature. I quickly realized that if I read the material at that point, I would only attain a C-average understanding. This for me would be unacceptable. I knew that there would need to be a lot of mental upgrading. I first picked out 10 books that would get me from where I was, to where I needed to be, here are the books in the order that I read th ...more
Bayandur
Oct 06, 2010 Bayandur rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, new-age
This book is complete garbage. The author's incompetence is obvious, she just took everything that was known of Eastern religious and philosophic systems in the 19th century Europe, everything the pseudo-intellectual mass wanted to believe, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Anti-Semitic and Aryan ideologies - everything that wanted to be believed and wasn't systematized yet. She spoke of mahatmas from Hinduism, though there are none there: there are Wise Men - the Rishi, but their role is different ...more
AirWind
Apr 05, 2010 AirWind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must reference book for serious seekers and researchers of esoteric philosophies and modern occultism! Not necessarily an easy read. HP Blavatsky's writing style was a bit crude as her native language is not English. But the ideas presented, I believe, formed the basis of the modern occult movement - both eastern and western. I started reading this one when I was still in senior high school and finally "finished" reading it a few years back. Its like it took me 15 years to read it! :) But Im n ...more
Andrew Hennessey
Jul 29, 2009 Andrew Hennessey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was in volume 3 of the secret doctrine that I found the issues that 1930's nazi Germany found pleasing in Blavatskys work .. in the chapter on Root Races ... but volume 1 still remains an important and very ancient contribution to 21st Century chaos theory [logos-outpouring-vehicles:] - the suppressed law of emergence written up in Hindu terminology
Michael Riedyk
Jul 14, 2012 Michael Riedyk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written junk. Mrs. Blavatsky (who later in life turned out to be a fraud) mixed concepts of different religions and added a massive amount of fantasy resulting in a book that has NOTHING to do with reality, truth, philosophy or spirituality (unless you missed the last 100 years in science and philosophy). It does not contain any valuable life lesson. Don't waste your time on this.
A.
Sep 20, 2016 A. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To give a solid contrast, one is better off discussing spirituality with an atheist rather than a theosophist.
Here lies one of the biggest roots of modern syncretism, "new-age" and pseudo-spirituality. A real malignent tumor.

René Guénon swept the floor pretty well indeed with his Theosophy: History of a Pseudo-Religion and The Spiritist Fallacy.

Imagine let's say if real orthodox spiritual traditions represent, in a scale let's say, a "+1"; atheism and materialist thought, represents a "0"; in th
Van Derek
Compulsory reading for theosophists or anyone interested in esoteric philosophy or spiritualism. Theosophical thinking has changed the direction of many lives including the poet William Butler Yeats. This is a highly creative work of spiritualism, to be absorbed and IMHO not to be taken too literally.
Glenn Horne
Profoundly interesting, poorly written
Tyler Murset
Nov 26, 2012 Tyler Murset rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mostly went over my head, but what I understood I liked.
Jean
May 07, 2014 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Madame Blavatsky was a very learned woman from her time, and did a lot to identify the root races and other metaphysical topics. I had already read part of this years ago, and it is worth the read if you have an open mind and believe that all religions are the same and have a core tenet of love.
Fostergrants
Nov 27, 2007 Fostergrants rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked this for what i learned about so many alternative belief systems. this woman has a complicated brain! if you don't stop reading once in a while to go for a walk or get some fresh air you will fry quickly.
Sally
Jan 25, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theosophy
Brings together a great deal of mythological, 19th-century scientific, and religious material to show the unity behind human traditions throughout time and culture. Principles are universal, whatever one may think of the details.
Vlad Popescu
Sep 25, 2012 Vlad Popescu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-path
Fara Doamna Blavatsky, fara aceasta carte in special, probabil ca occidentul ar fi fost mult mai rudimentar din punct de vedere spiritual. Indiferent ce am fi adus din orient.
Robert Ingram
Blavatskys mind vomited. For almost an instant, I believed I could feel the earth vibrating. It's a good thing I was stoned at the time, or I might have believed it.
Grace Zales
Light reading, interesting for a gullible reader. Not for an skeptical person. A part history of magic collection do.
Betsy
Nov 30, 2008 Betsy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
allegedly part of basis for 3rd Reich's rationale for Aryan race, according to natgeotv.com program called Hitler and the Occult
Tamara
Sep 03, 2010 Tamara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute must for any Theosophy scholar or mystic.
Steven
This book defined the modern esoteric tradition. Straight from the sane/insane Source of All.
AirWind
Feb 24, 2013 AirWind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teza
Feb 27, 2013 Teza rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
@Bayandu and others who are smart and enlightened enough to discern the difference between true genius and absurdity. Kudos to you and thanks for your insightful and honest opinions! The author of these writings was indeed either a disillusioned racist, a fraudulent racist...or both. Also, if her English was so poor that she could not even read and write properly in English, then how can we be for certain know much of the missing gaps in the stories, facts, messages, practices etc she collected ...more
J. Moufawad-Paul
Aug 04, 2015 J. Moufawad-Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yep, still have the two volumes of this so-called "Secret Doctrine" on my shelves since the end of highschool when I found them in a 2nd Hand bookstore and thought they were cool. Back then I thought Crowley was cool, but so the f––k what? The truth is that is this is typical of idealist, mystified bullshit: made up, mystified garbage by petty-b assholes who know nothing about history. Fun reference book for shits and giggles, though.

Weirdly it sits on my bookshelf beside Hume, but this is simp
Sep 04, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book took me FOREVER to read. I think it's almost 1000 pages. plus it was written over a 100 years ago so it may as well be in another language as far as i'm concerned. (actually it may have been translated into english from another language if i'm not mistaken).

i started out interested and then about half way through i lost interest but finished it partly out of spite becuase i had invested so much time reading it. there are a lot of books out there that more less explain this book so if
Jim Amy
Mar 14, 2015 Jim Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book concerns Blavatsky's esoteric guesses about the Mystical side of the evolution of Earth and Humanity. These ae subjects that, at least physically, we know far more about in the terms of 21st Century Science than she ever could have known in the Nineteenth Century. The book is obscure and very hard to believe. Her concept of planetary rounds is interesting. That of Humanity's Root Races, less so. Perhaps I should have started with Isis Unveiled.
Gianetta
Mar 02, 2010 Gianetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very intriguing. Very intense. It took all my brain power on an intellectual level, but I connected at a deeper, core level much more readily. Though, I can't say that every concept and principle resonated, the overall work assimilated well to the grander scheme of all I've learned thus far on the subjects.
Jake Jaqua
Apr 28, 2014 Jake Jaqua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blavatsky's "Secret Doctrine" stands alone and unique in the field. It is further separated from later imitators by the couple thousand References to Scriptures, ancient literature, science of her time and magazines, she uses in support of her premises that there used to be a universal Wisdom Religion over the earth shared by all in its essence.
M. Joseph Murphy
A truly fascinating read whether you believe any of it or not. Blavatsky's view of the world is more interesting and fantastical than anything you'll find out there. Warning, however, it's not an easy read. This was my fourth or fifth time reading this.
John Laidlaw
Apr 05, 2016 John Laidlaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A staggeringly great piece of work by a much maligned (as well as revered) woman. A number of reviews here are attempted 'hatchet' jobs...well, believe what you wish...those who have eyes to see, let them see. As to the Mahatmas, claimed by some as non-existent, really?
Abbadon
Sep 14, 2014 Abbadon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone that wants to read this should be strongly advised to read first "Theosophy: History of a Pseudo-Religion" by René Guénon. It explains why this book is crap and why you shouldn't waste your time with it nor with Theosophy altogether.
Walter
Feb 09, 2012 Walter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is a book you have to wade through, but it is well worth the effort you put into it. It is very enlightening.
Brandon Kendall
Jan 17, 2008 Brandon Kendall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HP Blavatsky was truly the mother of modern occultism. Almost as complex and confusing as the vedas.
Magick and Occult...: Secret Doctrine 10 8 May 17, 2015 07:10PM
  • The Secret Teachings of All Ages (Reader's Edition)
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • Book 4
  • The Chakras (Quest Book)
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • A Treatise on White Magic: The Way of the Disciple
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • Sefer Yetzirah: The Book of Creation: In Theory and Practice
  • The Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Corpus Hermeticum
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, (Russian: Елена Блаватская, also known as Madame Blavatsky, was a founder of the Theosophical Society and a major figure in modern occultism.
More about Helena Petrovna Blavatsky...

“A perfeição, para ser tal, tem que sair da imperfeição, o incorruptível tem que desenvolver-se do corruptível, tendo esse último como sua base, veículo e contraste. Luz Absoluta é Obscuridade absoluta, e vice-versa. O Bem e o Mal são gêmeos; nenhum dos dois existe 'per se', pois cada um tem que ser engendrado e criado pelo outro afim de vir a existência. Ambos têm que ser conhecidos e apreciados antes de ser objeto de percepção, daí que a na mente mortal tenham de estar separados.” 0 likes
“Gently to hear, kindly to judge."— SHAKESPEARE.” 0 likes