Start by marking “Oliver Wiswell” as Want to Read:
Oliver Wiswell

Oliver Wiswell

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  325 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In Oliver Wiswell, Kenneth Roberts portrays the view of the Loyalists (those colonists who supported the British monarchy) in the American Revolution. Though branded by U.S. history as cowardly traitors, many of them were people of strong convictions and fierce bravery.
Published October 8th 1999 by Down East Books (first published 1940)

Harold Titus
Jan 21, 2012 Harold Titus rated it it was amazing
"Oliver Wiswell" by Kenneth Roberts is an excellent book. It is a unique Revolutionary War novel in that it presents very convincingly the injustices endured by Americans broadly described as loyalists. These people were both educated, successful professional people and simple country people content to continue to live their lives without being interfered with by others.

Two of the book's themes particularly impressed me. I was astounded at how savagely rebel Americans treated the loyalist popula
Buck
Jul 28, 2008 Buck rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in the American Revolution
Probably my favorite novel of the American Revolution. As a stickler for historical detail this novel appealed to me for it's reliance on historical fact.

Told from the point of view of a Loyalist, this work represents a departure from the "hero literature" of the American Revolution that still dominates the genre. This work looks at the reason people may have been opposed to open rebellion and considers their struggles to survive what became in the South a civil war.

Roberts also includes the Sie
Bob
Apr 02, 2013 Bob rated it it was amazing
The hardbound edition that I read 40 years ago was 700 pages or so. Do not let that fact deter you from reading it. After all this time, this novel still resonates with me with the richness of its characters and the excitement of its events. Roberts eloquently portrays the Loyalists of the American Revolution as men of principle, who, generally agreed with many of the complaints and issues that their fellow Americans, the patriots, also had. The difference between the two sides only being in the ...more
Caitlin
Jun 06, 2008 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Kenneth Roberts, while a storied curmudgeon and believer in water divining, is an excellent author of historical fiction, covering the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, French and Indian War in his various books, taking the reader from Maine to New York to Wisconsin with great historical accuracy. This particular book tells the story of a Tory family living in Massachusetts and their struggle against the revolutionaries. It is a classic.
Globalcook
Apr 26, 2009 Globalcook rated it liked it
Kenneth Roberts was great at doing extensive research and writing authentically. But I find his novels difficult to get through. I read them because I'm interested in revolutionary America. But I have to work to get to the end of each book. The last third of this book was the best. It moved quickly. I had to work at the first two-thirds.
John
Aug 08, 2015 John rated it it was ok
Hadn't read any historical fiction in a while, and when I realized that one of Roberts's books was the story of the Revolution from the loyalist side I decided I had to read it. I kind of regretted that, round about page 600 or 700. I mean, I remember liking "Arundel," but that's only barely 600 pages. This is well over 800.
And the pages aren't USED all that well. Roberts spends no time at all setting the scene, he just picks up two days before the start of the war at Lexington and Concord. But
John
Jan 12, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book"Oliver Wiswell" by Kenneth Roberts. It is a unique Revolutionary War novel in that it presents very convincingly the injustices endured by Americans broadly described as loyalists or Tories. These people were both educated, successful professional people and simple country people. The characters are extremely well developed, and the story is highly enjoyable as well as factual. A great read.
Kenneth
Jan 24, 2008 Kenneth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a mind
The American Revolutionary War from the Loyalist perspective. A history in novel form that makes you feel you are living it.
Charlie Shaw
Aug 18, 2015 Charlie Shaw rated it did not like it
I really enjoy historical fiction works and this is probably the Best book I have ever read in that category.

Kenneth Roberts had the ability to relate what the people were feeling in his Arundal trilogy from the perspective of the Colonial rebels as related to the way the world felt about them and how they were perceived by the British and the world at that time. I was there with them as an American. I have always joined their cause since they were the ones who rebelled against tyranny and advan
Ray De
Apr 16, 2013 Ray De rated it it was amazing
Oliver Wiswell is the story of the American Revolution from a Loyalist point of view. This book made me understand, at 13, just how much winners write the history books. If nothing else, Oliver Wiswell puts to rest the fiction that Loyalists were all horrible people betraying their country and those rebelling noble, selfless Patriots. The line separating them was fine and, had small changes in history happened, the story could have been very different. My original copy is over 700 pages and, as ...more
rinabeana
Sep 16, 2007 rinabeana rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Roberts, and I certainly want to read more. His descriptions were amazingly vivid, his characterization was rich, and the story was very compelling. I realize I will probably sound like an ignorant American, but this book really made me re-evaluate my entire history education. After reading this book, I have come to intensely dislike both those Americans rebelling against British rule and the British leadership opposing the rebellion. American heroes of the re ...more
Beakerkin
Sep 11, 2010 Beakerkin rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book albeit lengthy. Roberts is predictable and often his lead characters are tools for his supporting cast. The supporting cast is what makes his books interesting.

His finest is still Rabble in Arms. The historical figures from previous books make cameos. However, the book does not shine when Benedict Arnold
is on the pages, but it is good to see him. Rogers from Northwest Passage makes a very tiny cameo.

The star of the book and best character in Roberts work is Tom Buell.
William
Oct 27, 2014 William rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gifted
Roberts unique insight on the revolution war from a loyalist perspective is well-developed and thought out. This old tome embodies the best of historical fiction. Do not hesitate to suggest this for historical book club.
Rachel F
Feb 14, 2015 Rachel F rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. It is very well written, but it was a bit long. I think if it was a bit shorter, I would have enjoyed reading it more. It was hard to stick with and enjoy for that long.
Roger King
Jul 23, 2014 Roger King rated it it was amazing
I read this book in summer of 1974 on vacation in Wells Beach Maine when I was 12. A book I would like to read again, my first foray into historical novels.
Jenny
Jan 24, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: Elisa Oliver
Shelves: classic
This is a very interesting book as it is written from the perspective of a loyalist in the Revolutionary War. Wiswell paints the rebel colonists as "riff raff"--the unsavory characters in society, and the loyalists as the educated and wealthy. He becomes caught in the middle between the British incompetence in running the ward and the attrocities of the rebels. I enjoyed learning a new perspective of the Revoluntionary War and realized again how each side can feel they are int he right. The book ...more
Len
Feb 07, 2013 Len rated it it was amazing
This is a great piece of historical fiction with a perspective seldom written about. The Loyalists in the American War of Independence saw themselves as Americans who sought a relationship with Great Britain and not war. They had the same grievances about unfair taxation. What they didn't have was a need to rebel to achieve resolution. For that they were tarred and feathered and driven out of their homeland. Canada was the beneficiary of this unintended largesse. I know of no other author who wo ...more
Bill Polson
May 15, 2015 Bill Polson rated it it was amazing
Loved this book told from the view of an American Loyalist. Was told by Dr. Gordon Wood that he wished that he wrote as well and he has a Pulitzer. Wood also said that Roberts did a great job on his historical research.
Corbin
Jan 06, 2014 Corbin rated it really liked it
Although I love history, I've never been a big historical fiction reader. The reason this book stuck out to me was the fact it was from the Loyalist's point of view. Even though I did read this for school, it did interest me. The story and writing are both great, but I'm positive I would've enjoyed it more if I read it for my own pleasure and didn't have such a short amount of time to finish a lengthy read like this.
Lavender Dreamer
Aug 26, 2014 Lavender Dreamer rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Kerry Kenney
Jun 25, 2008 Kerry Kenney marked it as to-read
Recommended to Kerry by: David McCullough
David McCullough says: "There should be no hesitation ever about giving anyone a book to enjoy, at any age. There should be no hesitation about teaching future teachers with books they will enjoy."

Hmmm, maybe he said something more particular about these books, I will have to look in my notes. He actually recommends three by this author: The Kenneth Roberts Reader of the American Revolution (Boxed Set): Arundel, Rabble in Arms, Oliver Wiswell, Battle of Cowpens

I have them but I haven't read th
Sandy Wood
Dec 12, 2013 Sandy Wood rated it liked it
Interesting. Revolution as seen through eyes of a Tory/Loyalist. makes the point that the Loyalists were mostly the good citizens, business owners, ship owners, professors, lawyers, manufacturers etc. while the rebels were mostly the dregs of America without jobs, morals or work ethic. Also focuses on all the unbelievable mistakes made by British who could have won so many times by simply executing common sense in the battles. If only he had taken 300 pages instead of 900 to do it.
Rosie Crawford
Dec 21, 2012 Rosie Crawford rated it really liked it
While a bit tedious at times with elaborate war descriptions, it was a unique and interesting look at the revolutionary war through the eyes of a loyalist. Although written in 1940, it was eerily contemporary in 2012. It allowed me to realize once again that history gets to be written by the victors, all politics is a big sham/scam, and war is usually unnecessary.
S.E. White
Mar 15, 2012 S.E. White rated it liked it
Another viewpoint on the American revolution -- the "Sons of Liberty" may have been terrorists oppressing the rights of people who didn't want independence from Britain. And William Howe could have won the war for Britain in an afternoon, and failed to do so.
kate
May 29, 2007 kate rated it really liked it
One of the best historical fiction writers, as well as the best book on Loyalists in colonial America. (Though I wouldn't recommend delving into its 800+ pages if you don't have serious interests in the subject.)
Joe
Nov 11, 2007 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
A little long winded, but it was interesting to learn about the Revolutionary War from the perspective of a Loyalist. The old saying, "He who wins the war, writes the history books", comes to mind.
Shloimy Gold
Aug 22, 2015 Shloimy Gold rated it really liked it
Started slow, but 20% in, it got really strong. Great historical perspective from this book (which is why we read historical fiction anyway, right?).
Kelsey
Feb 02, 2009 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
this author is great with historical fiction, this book is also on the revolutionary war, but this time it's the tories point of view, oooh. . . .
Carolyn
Dec 29, 2007 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: based-on-history
I tried hard to not read about the Tory side of the Revolutionary war, but this helped me understand the consternation of the Loyalists.
Keith Slade
Long but pretty good historical novel. Learned what it felt like to be a loyalist or Tory during the American Revolution.
  • Drums Along the Mohawk
  • Ride With Me
  • Citizen Tom Paine
  • Lexington and Concord: The Beginning of the War of the American Revolution
  • The Specter of Communism: The United States and the Origins of the Cold War, 1917-1953
  • Forgotten Patriots: The Untold Story of American Prisoners During the Revolutionary War
  • Redcoat
  • The American Revolution: Writings from the War of Independence
  • Tories
  • Liberty! The American Revolution
  • Diana
  • Jack Frake (Sparrowhawk, #1)
  • Riding Fury Home: A Memoir
  • Masquerade: The Life and Times of Deborah Sampson, Continental Soldier
  • Assassin
  • Wilderness Empire (Winning of America)
  • The Whites of Their Eyes: Bunker Hill, the First American Army, and the Emergence of George Washington
  • Shadowbrook
Kenneth Lewis Roberts (December 8, 1885 – July 21, 1957) was an American author of historical novels. Roberts worked first as a journalist, becoming nationally known for his work with the Saturday Evening Post from 1919 to 1928, and then as a popular novelist. Born in Kennebunk, Maine, Roberts specialized in Regionalist historical fiction. He often wrote about his native state and its terrain, als ...more
More about Kenneth Roberts...

“All of us know history repeats itself, but mighty few of us recognize the repetition until too late.” 0 likes
“I wouldn't care to shoot my own townsmen over a difference of opinion about politics. Keep 'em yourself if you think you need 'em; but I suggest you'll be better off to put 'em away where you can't get at 'em. The trouble with a pistol is that if you show it, you've got to use it, and once you use it you've committed yourself.” 0 likes