In Green's Jungles: The Second Volume of 'The Book of the Short Sun'

In Green's Jungles: The Second Volume of 'The Book of the Short Sun' (The Book of the Short Sun #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  729 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Gene Wolfe's In Green's Jungles is the second volume, after On Blue's Waters, of his ambitious SF trilogy, The Book of the Short Sun. It is again narrated by Horn, who has embarked on a quest from his home on the planet Blue in search of the heroic leader Patera Silk. Now Horn's identity has become ambiguous, a complex question embedded in the story, whose telling is itsel...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2000)

Paul Nash
Gene Wolfe is simply one of the best novelists we have -- read the entire series, as there are layers within layers, and a subtle, haunting quality that grows and develops, especially in this book.
Anthony
Shoot. I wanna give this four stars but the truth is at this point in the ongoing saga I'm a little weary. (Just one left)

If you count the books from "Book of the New sun" then this is the 9th ! book in this series and Wolfe's formidable tricks & games with narrative and plot can be grueling . . . especially when he is playing the tried and true story tellers game of withholding key information. In this case it is the mystery of how the Inhumi aliens ever got onto the starship way back in th...more
Perry Whitford
After escaping the effects of war in Gaon, our confused protagonist finds himself in a similar situation in a new town, where his inherent leadership qualities again draw him reluctantly into a conflict. He tries, as always, to do the thing that will create the least harm, advising with an equal mix of wisdom and humility in beautifully measured sentences, albeit with more than the occasional instance of pedantry (indeed, there is a general trend towards the pedantic in latter-day Wolfe, especia...more
Jordan Halsey
Jun 06, 2007 Jordan Halsey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone
Gene Wolfe is a genius, and this is my favorite of his books. The one's I've read anyway. The man is a wizard. In this book, the second of a trilogy, with that trilogy a sequel to another series of four books (quadrology?), with links all the way back to the Book of the New Sun... well you would expect that it would be incomprehensible to the uninitated. And it just occurred to me that I had already read all of the previous books before I read this one, but I still don't believe that you MUST re...more
Scott
The second volume of the Short Sun trilogy, and the 11th book in Gene Wolfe's massive and mind-blowing "Solar Cycle", is another excellent work. Continuing the story of Horn, a rather bit character in the middle Long Sun series, this one follows Horn between the planets Blue and Green. The real trick is that Horn is narrating two of his own stories - one in the present and one from the past. On top of this, his physical appearance has shifted somehow, though we don't really know the reason. As w...more
Gary
OK, I love Wolfe. He is one of the best writers alive or just perhaps one of the best writers period.

This book is great because, well, it's all about the world of the inhumus ... but none of the book takes place there. It all takes place way later as Horn is taking care of other troubles on Blue... you pick up what happened on Green by way of recollections and waking dreams.

Horn is both a smart guy and incredibly dumb ... doesn't he ever look in a mirror or listen to his bird? Like Silk, he's...more
Althea Ann
The sequel to "On Blue's Waters". Here, Horn continues his dual, tangential narrative of his life and adventures.
I have to admit that I believe I liked the previous book slightly more - in this volume I found the newly-introduced concept of psychic(?) travel between planets to be far-fetched, in the context of the story. It's often problematic, for me, when some really major new gimmick comes in when the story is already well in progress...
ALso, I really wanted more of the planet Green. The narr...more
Fantasy Literature
Gene Wolfe has earned a reputation for writing novels that benefit from being read twice. His works are often complex and they do tend to reward careful reading, so much so that it’s not uncommon to hear prospective readers asking which of his Solar Cycle works is the easiest to read. Wolfe’s Book of the Short Sun trilogy is certainly not the place to start, but it is an otherwise fine finish to this distinguished cycle of stories that bridge the gap between fantasy and science fiction, and for...more
John Lawson
Mar 13, 2014 John Lawson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: David Lawson
The story of Patera Horn continues, purportedly covering his experiences on the world of Green. Reality is that precious little of the book actually occurs on Green. Much of which that does is conveyed as parable and second-hand story telling. The bulk of the book deals with Horn on Blue and his quest for Patera Silk. The deeper relationship between Horn and Silk is expanded upon, as well as the role the inhumi play in these worlds. Implied vampire sex ensues.

In true Gene Wolfe fashion, this boo...more
Lucardus
Wolfe ist schwer zu bewerten. Aber im Vergleich zu "Book of the New Sun" und "The Book of the Long Sun" ist dieser Zyklus noch kryptischer und unzugänglicher. Zumindest beim ersten Lesen. Wolfe spielt wieder mit Identität. Am Ende des Buches ist nicht klar, wer der Erzähler eigentlich ist. Entweder, dies löst sich im abschließenden Band auf, oder Wolfe lässt wieder Raum für Doktorarbeiten, die sich mit den versteckten Ebenen in seinem Werk befassen.

Da ich phasenweise doch schwergetan habe, den R...more
Jeffrey
If you haven't figured out that the narrator is not quite all there by the time you start this one, it quickly becomes obvious here. The style of the first book is abandoned as Horn's present day travels become much more involved, and our glimpses of his past get more confused and terse. I loved every minute and flew through this book. Puzzles posited in the first book get deeper, new stranger ones get added, and we are treated to see more of the distinctly dim doom the protagonist seems to be u...more
Don
Mar 24, 2008 Don rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Don by: Jason Huntington
Shelves: sci-fi
E.  Talamante
Far from my usual literature realm, In Green's Jungles leads you deeper into a world so unlike our own that for a moment you forget which way is out. Excellent reading, I feel bad about having missed the first in the series, but made do since this is an excellent stand-alone novel.
Rob
I found the narrative, as with "On Blue's Waters" as slightly disorientating, but the further that you read, the more the story draws you into the intregue of the books'circumstances. Combined with the fantastical elements of Wolfe's work, it makes a great read.
lowercase
really, i run the risk of being redundant in my praise for wolfe, but his work is simply so excellent that i can't do him justice with the quality of my reviews, and so i lean towards quantity to compensate. he's ... just ... brilliant. and so is this book.
Michael Gratton
Part 2 of 3 in the Book of the Short Sun. I don't know what to make of this installment yet, or the BotSS as a whole. It'll take months to digest who the narrator is. After that I can go back and see what things he says that I believe.
Shannon Appelcline
Not quite up to the quality of its predecessor, both because the story is more mundane, with its emphasis on a war, and because the Green narrative is frustratingly incomplete. Still, a thoughtful book with a daring plot structure.
Lola171
Better than On Blues waters. The story becomes more rich; the mystery deepens. The two layered story also is richer here. It made me want to immediately re read the other series by Wolfe.
Mark
This isn't as good as On Blue's Waters, the first volume of the Short Sun trilogy, but it does an adequate job of linking the first and third volumes.
Katie
Better (more exciting) than the first volume in the series. I like it, but I've concluded that I'm something of a sucker for Wolfe's protaganists.
Eric Wisdahl
One of the Short Sun Series which follows Horn on his quest to find Patera Silk to help save his newfound homeland.
Rogerio Senna
Even better than the first book of the "Book of The Short Sun" series.
Chris
Gene Wolfe is fantastic, and the Sun Saga is his masterpiece.
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
  • Engine Summer
  • Up the Walls of the World
  • Stations of the Tide
  • The Course of the Heart
  • Tales of the Dying Earth: The Dying Earth/The Eyes of the Overworld/Cugel's Saga/Rhialto the Marvellous
  • Galveston
  • Salt
  • The Charwoman's Shadow
  • Nova
  • The Killing of Worlds (Succession, #2)
  • Child of the River
  • The Digging Leviathan
  • Worlds of Exile and Illusion (Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile & City of Illusions)
  • The Cassini Division (The Fall Revolution, #3)
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • The Well At The World's End: Volume I
  • Troika
  • The End of All Songs (Dancers at the End of Time, #3)
Gene Wolfe is an American science fiction and fantasy writer. He is noted for his dense, allusive prose as well as the strong influence of his Catholic faith, to which he converted after marrying a Catholic. He is a prolific short story writer and a novelist, and has won many awards in the field.

The Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award is given by SFWA for ‘lifetime achievement in science fict...more
More about Gene Wolfe...
The Shadow of the Torturer (The Book of the New Sun #1) Shadow and Claw (The Book of the New Sun, #1-2) Sword and Citadel (The Book of the New Sun, #3-4) The Claw of the Conciliator (The Book of the New Sun #2) The Sword of the Lictor (The Book of the New Sun #3)