Start by marking “The Reiver” as Want to Read:
The Reiver

The Reiver

3.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,039 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Duncan Maxwell, laird of Lochmorton Castle, gets the shock of his life when he discovers the reiver captured in a raid on his lands is not a boy, but a young woman. Although she flatly refuses to tell him her name or how she came to be riding with a raiding party, Duncan cannot countenance imprisoning a woman in his dungeon but neither can he release her without compensati ...more
Nook, Nook Edition, 22 pages
Published January 17th 2011 by Circe Press

To ask other readers questions about The Reiver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reiver

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Length, laziness and/or problems meeting the deadline killed this short story, originally published as part of The Mammoth Books of Scottish Romance . Quite frankly, it's an embarrassment to the author as I suspect Ms. Barbosa is capable of producing something of much higher quality.

We witness little of the requisite growth of affection between the main characters nor enough endearments to seduce readers into believing in their burgeoning but ultimately contrived relationship. Time spent togeth
Lourdes
Oct 18, 2012 Lourdes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am of the school of "if you don't have anything good to say, you don't say anything at all" but I have to make an exception with this one. I got this for free and couldn't even be happy about it.
It was ridiculously short and the gaps generated by the fast forwarding between one event and the next made it positively stupid. I have read much better short stories that are also precipitated into the desired conclusion without skipping the important parts.
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
KyBunnies
This book was offered free in the Kindle Store. Please check the price before downloading. The review is my personal opinion and not a paid review. To form your own opinion please support the author and invest in your own copy.

There are two characters in this eBook, Duncan and Reva. Duncan is Lord of Lochmorton Castle. Reva is a reiver from across the border.

Duncan capture's Reva but she will not tell him her real name. So Duncan calls her Reva then we jump 2 months into the future. Reva is ea
Beth Yarnall
May 11, 2011 Beth Yarnall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the premise of this short story. If I had any complaints they would be that the sex wasn't hot enough for me & it was over way too soon. I liked the story so much I wished it was longer. As for the heat level, I was expecting it to be hotter since it was so short but the romance was well done and the 'what-what' was well timed and appropriate for the story. I'd read another Jackie Barbosa book... a longer one next time. ;-)
Nicua
Mar 11, 2014 Nicua rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately I don't have anything good to say about this book although I really tried to find something. Too short and lacks in everything a book should be. Just feel like the author had some free time and decided to write something without giving any real thought of characters or plot - disappointing and painfully predictable.
Lin #Historical lover...❤️
3 stars

If I say too much my review will be longer than the book!

Thank GOD I got this book free on Amazon or I'd be so freaking pissed off right now!!!

Nice ideas... if developed this could be a good book. The author's writing style seems good... I'd read her again...

But This wasn't a book... It was an essay plan!!!!
Denise
Dec 11, 2014 Denise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring and predictable and too - ugh, I don't know. It just didn't feel like I was reading a book written by an adult. Like it was an assignment in school or something. Sorry. I'm looking for... more.
Sherri Hayes
This was a sweet story, but extremly short. The romance, is pretty much glossed over and the book sticks to their meeting, what leads to their separation, and then their reunion. What was there, was good, but the story needed more for me.
Laurie Garrison
Another freebie I could finish. The same old, same old problems, head-hopping and way too short to offer any character, romance, or story development. I would have rather payed and gotten a better developed book then wasted any time with this one.
Julie Burns
A fun little free read.
Felt a little rushed in places. So for that it only gets a 2 and not 3 stars
J.C. Cauthon
I received this book for free during a Kindle free book promotion. I could see its potential, but this was not meant to be a piece this short. The jumps in time made it extremely hard to believe the relationship between the two main characters, and since she was captured plundering on his land, I, as the reader, would expect a lot more time to pass before a plausible relationship budded between the two, and even more time before they jumped into bed together, but since the piece was so short, th ...more
Ivana Ciglar
Short, sweet tale set in the 1500's Scotland. It is based on real events, the feud between Maxwells and Johnstones. The main characters are a product of imagination.

The heroine, Jaime Johnstone is caught in stealing the cattle and mistaken for a boy brought to the Maxwell dungeon. When Duncan Maxwell discovers this mistake he is set on making her a hostage even though he doesn't know her identity. During her "imprisonment" they start to develop feelings for each other. Since the two families ar
LuAnn
Not for my LDS or student followers. I've been reading some free Kindle books just to get a feel of what is hitting the top 100. Some books are well-written, and some are not. What I've noticed on several of the books in the romance category is that the authors think that they can throw in a little sex (sometimes a lot of sex) and tell us that the two characters are going to work out all of their differences, so they can just stop the story at that point Unfortunately that isn't true. There stil ...more
Rachael
Aug 12, 2011 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
just started reading this and got it from kobobooks.com for cheap and its one of my current fave genres -- Hot highland men and seems to be a good book so far ..
THE premise of the story seems to be that the heroine was found supposedly with a bunch of ppl intent on raiding a rival clans castle / territory etc .. and was mistaken for a teenage boy toll the laird (the hero) sees her in the dungeon and realises she isnt a boy but a slender woman

he plans to feed clothe and accomadate her hoping tha
Judy
Sep 28, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Reiver by Jackie Barbosa
A Scottish Border Romance
Duncan Maxwell, laird of Lochmorton Castle is surprised to find the lad they captured and threw into the dungeon is not a lad at all. He puts the lass up in a warm bed and plies her with good food in hopes of finding out who she wrote with as a reiver. It seems she would prefer the noose to betraying her loved ones.

Jamie Johstone finds the Maxwell's to be more kind that she grew up thinking. She tried to hold unto her hate for them but Duncan
Chandra
Jan 27, 2012 Chandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Short "stories". One story and a sampling of other books.

A Reiver is a cattle thief Jamie gets captured by Duncan's men. He falls in love with her. She falls in love with him but still true to her family.

At 26% of the book, Duncan kisses her. At 37% She wants to die because she has fallen in love with him. At 40% Duncan makes love to her after advising that he intends to make her his wife. At 56% after she has escaped, made love to him, stolen his horse to return home and quietly returned his h
Betty
Mar 18, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Duncan Maxwell is in his dungeon to talk to the reiver that his brothers had caught. He tries to get the boy to talk as he really doesn't want to hang him which is the normal punishment. When the reiver doesn't answer him he grabs the boy's shirt and picks him up. Duncan is surprised at how light the boy is but continues holding him up until the boys spits in his face. When Duncan tries to looks at the boy again he realizes that its not a boy at all but a young woman. Duncan knows that he can't ...more
Jane
The Reiver is a Scottish name for a thief and was used historically for raids between clans. The laird in the clan came to his dungeon to question The Reiver his men had caught and found a girl instead of a young boy. He couldn't get her to talk but she was very thin, obviously hungry, so he tried to treat her with kindness to get her to talk. After a couple of months, she still didn't talk and he came to desire her and admire her determination to protect her family. She also developed feelings ...more
Ashley
Aug 30, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free, like everyone else, and because it was free I wasn't expecting much, truth be told...but I was shocked at the pace that everything went, I was surprised at the quickness of the story, and not pleasantly so. The story seemed to go well enough, a captive in a Scottish castle, but then it begins to just go in a very weird direction where the woman falls in love with her captor out of nothing in particular he did, then he lets her go...and then finds her again. The ent ...more
A.M.
Mar 12, 2015 A.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Super short free kindle book. A Scottish laird goes to interrogate a thief in his dungeon only to find that he is a she. And she won’t tell him her name so he can’t return her to her family or ransom her; executing her is off the list once he found out she’s female.
It was fine. Because it is so short there are a lot of time jumps, and telling not showing - if that makes sense. There just isn’t the space to show how they fell in love. And that was what I really wanted to see. I keep wavering betw
Jane

This story had a lot of potential. The beginning was good, I was starting to feel engaged with the characters and then it was like the author got bored and forced an ending. I understand that this was just a novella, but I have read several novellas that did a much better job at development and giving an ending that leaves the reader satisfied that he/she has read a whole story, this was not one of them.
Amanda
Jan 28, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and short historical romance. Just need a romance fix? This is the book. I must admit, I would have liked it to be a bit longer, it was 50 pages on my Nook. The characters were cute, the story line interesting, with a hint of teasing mystery. I would suggest this quick read to anyone who wants a taste of a historical romance but doesn't have the time for a full length novel with all its drama.
Caro
Jan 23, 2013 Caro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, own
This was a great short historical. Gotta love the Scottish. I liked the characters and how this was written. This is great for a historical pick-me-up. A quick enticing, fun and a little romantic read. I would read this again and enjoyed the quick wit and sweet ending. Perfect. (Kindle freebie) Enjoy!
Melissa
A short story that could have been much more. A young woman is captured for stealing but refuses to give her name so that her family will not be punished. However, she cannot be ransomed either. She starts out as a prisoner and then a "guest" of the Laird. This was an interesting short story but was well written enough that I thought the author could have given us much more.
Louise
Jun 06, 2013 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was what it was, a quick and dirty read (well not so dirty). Short stories are often difficult to get right, and this felt like a longer read edited down (poorly)... Nice story though... and the author writes well... enjoyed it, but I will be careful about picking quick reads again... The author needs to know how to do it well.
Andrea
May 16, 2016 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise was great but it lacked soooo many details that would have made this a good story. I was hoping to find out more about "Reva" and about her past, but the fact that this was so short made that impossible. I don't normally like books like this but if Ms. Barbosa ever decided to expand on this story I would definitely read it.
Christiana
I love Jackie Barbosa's writing style, but I wish her stories were twice as long, it would have been interesting to learn more about the 2 feuding families and more about Jamie, how she came to be a reiver and more about Maxwell other than how he had the hots for her. There's so much potential here for a riveting romance.
Alixendra
I loved how this book twisted the fates of two enemies together. If you love stories like that-where two rival families end up joined like Romeo & Juliet but with a better ending-then you'll love this story! That's all I have to say...
Lynette
A very quick read. Jamie is captured by Duncan Maxwell for stealing cattle. He thinks he's captured a boy until he realizes she a girl. She won't divulge her name so he keeps her hostage for some time. One problem--he's falling in love with her.
  • Wild Passion (Wild, #3)
  • Kidnapping the Laird
  • Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2)
  • The Rebel (Highlander Trilogy, #0.5)
  • A Highlander for the Holidays
  • Highland Muse (Song of the Muses, #2)
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • Change of Heart
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • A Twist of Fate
  • Into The Woods
  • To Tempt a Knight (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #1)
  • Lady Deception
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Bound by the Heart
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)
  • FREEDOM : The Rake And The Recluse : Part One