Start by marking “The Reiver” as Want to Read:
The Reiver

The Reiver

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Duncan Maxwell, laird of Lochmorton Castle, gets the shock of his life when he discovers the reiver captured in a raid on his lands is not a boy, but a young woman. Although she flatly refuses to tell him her name or how she came to be riding with a raiding party, Duncan cannot countenance imprisoning a woman in his dungeon but neither can he release her without compensati ...more
Nook, Nook Edition, 22 pages
Published January 17th 2011 by Circe Press

To ask other readers questions about The Reiver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reiver

Legally Wed by N.M. SilberThe Valentine Challenge by Marisa ClevelandHearts in Darkness by Laura KayeAnonymity by Amber Lea EastonDandy Day by Annie  Wood
Best Romance Novellas & Short Stories
260th out of 317 books — 396 voters
Bound by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanA Mackenzie Family Christmas by Jennifer AshleyThe Governess Affair by Courtney MilanThe Duke's Match Girl - A Fiery Tale Novella by Lila DiPasqua
Historical Romance Novellas
96th out of 172 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Length, laziness and/or problems meeting the deadline killed this short story, originally published as part of The Mammoth Books of Scottish Romance . Quite frankly, it's an embarrassment to the author as I suspect Ms. Barbosa is capable of producing something of much higher quality.

We witness little of the requisite growth of affection between the main characters nor enough endearments to seduce readers into believing in their burgeoning but ultimately contrived relationship. Time spent togethe
Lourdes
I am of the school of "if you don't have anything good to say, you don't say anything at all" but I have to make an exception with this one. I got this for free and couldn't even be happy about it.
It was ridiculously short and the gaps generated by the fast forwarding between one event and the next made it positively stupid. I have read much better short stories that are also precipitated into the desired conclusion without skipping the important parts.
KyBunnies
This book was offered free in the Kindle Store. Please check the price before downloading. The review is my personal opinion and not a paid review. To form your own opinion please support the author and invest in your own copy.

There are two characters in this eBook, Duncan and Reva. Duncan is Lord of Lochmorton Castle. Reva is a reiver from across the border.

Duncan capture's Reva but she will not tell him her real name. So Duncan calls her Reva then we jump 2 months into the future. Reva is ea
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Denise
Boring and predictable and too - ugh, I don't know. It just didn't feel like I was reading a book written by an adult. Like it was an assignment in school or something. Sorry. I'm looking for... more.
Beth Yarnall
I really liked the premise of this short story. If I had any complaints they would be that the sex wasn't hot enough for me & it was over way too soon. I liked the story so much I wished it was longer. As for the heat level, I was expecting it to be hotter since it was so short but the romance was well done and the 'what-what' was well timed and appropriate for the story. I'd read another Jackie Barbosa book... a longer one next time. ;-)
Nicua
Unfortunately I don't have anything good to say about this book although I really tried to find something. Too short and lacks in everything a book should be. Just feel like the author had some free time and decided to write something without giving any real thought of characters or plot - disappointing and painfully predictable.
Betty
Duncan Maxwell is in his dungeon to talk to the reiver that his brothers had caught. He tries to get the boy to talk as he really doesn't want to hang him which is the normal punishment. When the reiver doesn't answer him he grabs the boy's shirt and picks him up. Duncan is surprised at how light the boy is but continues holding him up until the boys spits in his face. When Duncan tries to looks at the boy again he realizes that its not a boy at all but a young woman. Duncan knows that he can't ...more
Laurie Garrison
Another freebie I could finish. The same old, same old problems, head-hopping and way too short to offer any character, romance, or story development. I would have rather payed and gotten a better developed book then wasted any time with this one.
Jody
The Reiver is a Scottish name for a theif and was used historically for raids between clans. The laird in the clan came to his dungeon to question The Reiver his men had caught and found a girl instead of a young boy. He couldn't get her to talk but she was very thin, obviously hungry, so he tried to treat her with kindness to get her to talk. After a couple of months, she still didn't talk and he came to desire her and admire her determination to protect her family. She also developed feelings ...more
Sherri Hayes
This was a sweet story, but extremly short. The romance, is pretty much glossed over and the book sticks to their meeting, what leads to their separation, and then their reunion. What was there, was good, but the story needed more for me.
Ivana Ciglar
Short, sweet tale set in the 1500's Scotland. It is based on real events, the feud between Maxwells and Johnstones. The main characters are a product of imagination.

The heroine, Jaime Johnstone is caught in stealing the cattle and mistaken for a boy brought to the Maxwell dungeon. When Duncan Maxwell discovers this mistake he is set on making her a hostage even though he doesn't know her identity. During her "imprisonment" they start to develop feelings for each other. Since the two families ar
Julie Burns
A fun little free read.
Felt a little rushed in places. So for that it only gets a 2 and not 3 stars
LuAnn
Not for my LDS or student followers. I've been reading some free Kindle books just to get a feel of what is hitting the top 100. Some books are well-written, and some are not. What I've noticed on several of the books in the romance category is that the authors think that they can throw in a little sex (sometimes a lot of sex) and tell us that the two characters are going to work out all of their differences, so they can just stop the story at that point Unfortunately that isn't true. There stil ...more
Rachael
just started reading this and got it from kobobooks.com for cheap and its one of my current fave genres -- Hot highland men and seems to be a good book so far ..
THE premise of the story seems to be that the heroine was found supposedly with a bunch of ppl intent on raiding a rival clans castle / territory etc .. and was mistaken for a teenage boy toll the laird (the hero) sees her in the dungeon and realises she isnt a boy but a slender woman

he plans to feed clothe and accomadate her hoping tha
Judy
The Reiver by Jackie Barbosa
A Scottish Border Romance
Duncan Maxwell, laird of Lochmorton Castle is surprised to find the lad they captured and threw into the dungeon is not a lad at all. He puts the lass up in a warm bed and plies her with good food in hopes of finding out who she wrote with as a reiver. It seems she would prefer the noose to betraying her loved ones.

Jamie Johstone finds the Maxwell's to be more kind that she grew up thinking. She tried to hold unto her hate for them but Duncan
Christiana
I love Jackie Barbosa's writing style, but I wish her stories were twice as long, it would have been interesting to learn more about the 2 feuding families and more about Jamie, how she came to be a reiver and more about Maxwell other than how he had the hots for her. There's so much potential here for a riveting romance.
Chandra
Short "stories". One story and a sampling of other books.

A Reiver is a cattle thief Jamie gets captured by Duncan's men. He falls in love with her. She falls in love with him but still true to her family.

At 26% of the book, Duncan kisses her. At 37% She wants to die because she has fallen in love with him. At 40% Duncan makes love to her after advising that he intends to make her his wife. At 56% after she has escaped, made love to him, stolen his horse to return home and quietly returned his h
Deborah Gafford
Delightfully differently

This was a different spin on medieval thieves, justice and romance. I really enjoyed it. The hero and heroine are believable and likable. You will enjoy the ending.
Ashley
I received this book for free, like everyone else, and because it was free I wasn't expecting much, truth be told...but I was shocked at the pace that everything went, I was surprised at the quickness of the story, and not pleasantly so. The story seemed to go well enough, a captive in a Scottish castle, but then it begins to just go in a very weird direction where the woman falls in love with her captor out of nothing in particular he did, then he lets her go...and then finds her again. The ent ...more
I know a lot of people didn't like this very very short story but I really enjoyed it. It quick and can be read while reading a big book for a quickie break. Sexy romantic HEA.
Rebecca Connolly
Short story

Trite and predictable not very much meat to the characters or the plot. I think it wasn't very well thought out and lacks in detail.

Jane

This story had a lot of potential. The beginning was good, I was starting to feel engaged with the characters and then it was like the author got bored and forced an ending. I understand that this was just a novella, but I have read several novellas that did a much better job at development and giving an ending that leaves the reader satisfied that he/she has read a whole story, this was not one of them.
Amanda
Sweet and short historical romance. Just need a romance fix? This is the book. I must admit, I would have liked it to be a bit longer, it was 50 pages on my Nook. The characters were cute, the story line interesting, with a hint of teasing mystery. I would suggest this quick read to anyone who wants a taste of a historical romance but doesn't have the time for a full length novel with all its drama.
Melissa
A short story that could have been much more. A young woman is captured for stealing but refuses to give her name so that her family will not be punished. However, she cannot be ransomed either. She starts out as a prisoner and then a "guest" of the Laird. This was an interesting short story but was well written enough that I thought the author could have given us much more.
Louise
It was what it was, a quick and dirty read (well not so dirty). Short stories are often difficult to get right, and this felt like a longer read edited down (poorly)... Nice story though... and the author writes well... enjoyed it, but I will be careful about picking quick reads again... The author needs to know how to do it well.
Caro
This was a great short historical. Gotta love the Scottish. I liked the characters and how this was written. This is great for a historical pick-me-up. A quick enticing, fun and a little romantic read. I would read this again and enjoyed the quick wit and sweet ending. Perfect. (Kindle freebie) Enjoy!
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Yeah, I highly doubt enemies would become lovers that quickly.

This would have made a better novel instead of a short story, with more plot and more character development to make it more believable.
Lynette
A very quick read. Jamie is captured by Duncan Maxwell for stealing cattle. He thinks he's captured a boy until he realizes she a girl. She won't divulge her name so he keeps her hostage for some time. One problem--he's falling in love with her.
Mirely
This was a great story with loveable characters and a great back story. I wish it would have been longer because it definitely has enough good material to be a longer book.

This is a Kindle Freebie! Grab it and enjoy a great story.
  • Wild Passion (Wild, #3)
  • Kidnapping the Laird
  • The Rebel (Highlander Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2)
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • Lady Deception
  • Wild Angel (The O'Byrne Brides, Book One)
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • Master of Paradise
  • A Highlander for the Holidays (A Highland Erotic Romance)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Restoring Hope (Native American Romance #1)
  • Shades of Honor (Grayson Brothers, #1)
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • The English Heiress (Royal Dynasty, #1)
  • At Last
  • The Kindling Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series, #1)
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
Skin in the Game (Play Action #1) The Lesson Plan (Lords of Lancashire #1) Carnally Ever After (Ever After Novellas #1) Hot Under the Collar (Lords of Lancashire #2) Grace Under Fire