Healthy Selfishness: Getting the Life You Deserve Without the Guilt

Healthy Selfishness: Getting the Life You Deserve Without the Guilt

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An action plan for a better life, "Healthy Selfishness" helps readers recognize and understand patterns of self-denial; a self-assessment quiz answers the question, "Are you too good for your own good?"Chapters look at the value of healthy selfishness in specific areasafriends, family, work, weight, money, and moreato help readers identify how to take charge of their lives...more
Published January 2nd 2006 by Meredith Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Healthy Selfishness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healthy Selfishness

Hai Nguyen
The book shares a good point that we should concern more about our needs before taking care of others'. We will probably have more time, energy and feel better to enjoy our life this way. The book also has some inspiring and cool stories.

However, the book is not written for someone like me. I'm too selfish already for the book. I'm young, never had mates, kids or sex before and won't have any soon. I've never encountered any problems with professionals. Just quit my part time job and going to wo...more
Carol
Though I’ve never heard of the this husband and wife team of writers, I have heard about their 13 book series about “carbohydrate-addicted people, horses, dogs, flowers etc...) Just kidding. I haven’t read these books, but I imagine they contain some valuable nutritional advice.

(I just polished off a bag of chips, so consider myself truly a nutritional guru at this moment!)

This book, “Healthy Selfishness” is another animal altogether. The title, at first, seems like an oxymoron. Isn’t selfishne...more
Kimberly
This is kind of one of those work in progress self help books where I've read most of it, but now I have to apply it to my life. I really liked it though and the take home message that I got is it's okay and essential to take time for yourself. This does not make you a bad person or any less giving or thoughtful. It simply teaches you ways to make more time for you and in doing so you can give more and do more things for others.

It also talks about the difference between only thinking about your...more
Daniel
There wasn't much different compared to other self-help books about co-dependence and what today are called "frenemies" but the focus on "fear" and "guilt" being the obstacles in the ultimate goal to self-fulfillment is the key to this book.
Deborah
Dec 26, 2008 Deborah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who feels guilty way too much!
A good starting point for people like myself who feel guilty about everything and need to change! The book offers a variety of scenarios in which people find themselves being taken advantage of (due to their not sticking up for themselves--aka not practicing healthy selfishness) and strategies for changing these scenarios to the readers' benefit.
Cara
Nothing really new here, though I did discover that, at least according to these people, I'm still a level 2 self-denier. Ugh.
Gunjan Soni
Gunjan Soni marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Aida Valavi
Aida Valavi marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Sarah Haskin
Sarah Haskin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Doni
Doni marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2012
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2008
Krupp
Krupp added it
Jun 04, 2008
The 13th Apostle The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting The Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program: Personalized Plan for Becoming Slim, Fit, and Healthy in Your 40s, 50s, 60s, and Beyond The Carbohydrate Addict's Cookbook: : 250 All-New Low-Carb Recipes That Will Cut Your Cravings and Keep You Slim for Life The Stress-Eating Cure: Lose Weight with the No-Willpower Solution to Stress-Hunger and Cravings