Start by marking “Young Joan” as Want to Read:
Young Joan

Young Joan

Before she became the legendary Joan of Arc, the child Joan lived a simple life as a farm girl in the village of Domremy. Joan saw the work of God all around her - in the tall gnarled grandfather tree, in the small gentle sheep on the family farm, in the faces of her dear friends and neighbors. Then one day Joan had a dream. She dreamed that three Saints came to her.

The Sa
Paperback, Abridged
Published February 28th 1997 by HarperTrophy (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Young Joan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Joan

Susan
Oct 26, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: slmta
Joan, a girl growing up in the French countryside during the Hundred Years' War, begins to hear voices telling her she is destined to reunite her torn country in opposition to the English invaders.
It was a little preachy for me.
Mimi
Dec 23, 2016 Mimi rated it liked it
A very strong telling of the childhood of St. Joan of Arc. A sweet side story is the absolutely delightful way that her cat was portrayed.
Don Weidinger
Oct 26, 2013 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing
give pain and fear to God, can only use heart to understand not mind, angels often come among us, short legs, belong only to God, soldiers turned to mad men, Meuse River, leaders of England and France died with Queen Isabella ruined succession, what is the truth, 13 dream pray for Dauphin, be good go to church, according to Your Will, evil must be stopped by whatever means, St Catherine protector of unmarried, Catherine Margaret Michael, smiles of love, send a loving message from heart, doubt cl ...more
Ruth Sims
Aug 18, 2010 Ruth Sims rated it it was amazing
Joan of Arc has always fascinated me. It was an odd coincidence that I saw the DVD of the silent movie The Passion of St. Joan -- the best Joan film ever -- just a few days before finding Young Joan in the YA section of the library.

Joan's brief time as head of the Dauphin's army and liberator of France is covered in a few brief paragraphs at the end. It's told in first person and Joan doesn't dwell on the betrayal by those she helped. There's no bitterness or dwelling on the negative in Joan's
Imari
May 27, 2014 Imari rated it liked it
This book explores the life of a young Joan of Arc, describing Joan's life in a small town. Joan cares for her animals, plays with her friends, does her chores, and other things a girl her age might do, but she also hears from her saints. These saints instruct her in her destiny. Although they can be repetitive, they guide Joan along her path.

The author fleshes out the character of Joan, and we come to understand the girl's passions and devotion to God, but the book is very slow moving. Little a
Karen
Jul 18, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth-fiction
Well.....it was cool to think about Joan of Arc as a kid, and perhaps what her life was like and how her mission began. And there were some touching moments as she said goodbye to her family, friends, her farm home and animals, and the life she loved so well.
But, the writer's attempt at phrasing things in an old French way, and the repetitiousness of the angelic visits and their words, well, I just kept falling asleep.
It's meant to be more of a book for youth I suppose, but I think they might b
Holly
Jul 06, 2015 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is clear that the author has a passion for her subject (i.e. Joan of Arc) and she brings out all the little details in the scenery of Joan's life, especially before she went off into battle. The dialogue and writing is very simplistic and could be better (less unnecessary dialogue for example, which considerably slowed down the story), but in a way that's fitting as the real Joan couldn't read or write, and, being a peasant girl, probably wasn't taken over to speaking in grand poetry. It is v ...more
Dana
Aug 03, 2011 Dana rated it it was ok
Young Joan describes the life of Joan before and after she started to hear the voices of heavinly creatures. Dana also describes the trials of faith that Joan endured. From the expectations from her community and her family, Joan was overwhelmed by the pressure. This novel shows how she struggled to come to terms with what she wanted, and what was being asked of her. Dana offers a different persepective on Joan of Arc's childhood. The novel is an easy read and gives a new appreaciation to the gi ...more
William Crosby
Feb 02, 2015 William Crosby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fictional 1st person account of Jeanne Darc as a teen in the years before she actually went to war for France. The author imagines Joan's life and thoughts and experiences with angels, saints and her experiences with receiving a calling from God.

The narrative establishes Joan as compassionate and loving and being devoted to God. It also describes the culture of her time and the routine farm life and tension from the warring raids.

Sometimes the story is repetitive and tedious.

This book was in the
Quilla
Apr 30, 2010 Quilla rated it it was amazing
At first when I saw this book, I thought it was going to be a boring, super religious novel, but I was terribly wrong. It is about Saint Joan of Arc's life when she was younger. When she first starts getting her visions, and her social, and family life. I thought it was fantastic and very factual. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a book that is entertaining and informative at the same time.
Angie
May 29, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Read this as a young, impressionable teenager (14ish?) wondering what to do with my life. It's great to have books with strong characters to look up to, and to have books in which the strong characters have moments of reflection. This book is before Joan goes off to fight the good fight and her thoughts and doubts and finally her spiritual awakening.
Christina
Dec 02, 2009 Christina rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina by: Library 'Staff Picks'
I found the grammar and writing style distracting, but the story charming. I would probably only give it two stars except that now I'm so interested in Joan of Arc. I know so little about her! I'm definitely going to read more about her life.
KK
Mar 20, 2012 KK rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction, saints

This book is about the life of. St. Joan of Arc as a young farm girl.
This story was inspiring as it shows a devout young girl and the visits she received from the Saints. However I found the story to be quite slow moving with nothing much really happening.
Beatrice Gormley
This is an outstanding piece of historical fiction, both for bringing Joan of Arc's world alive for the reader, and for imagining convincingly what kind of person this extraordinary girl was.
Sharla
Oct 05, 2010 Sharla rated it really liked it
Overall, it's a slow-paced novel and I had to be patient. In the end, I was glad that I read it. I found it interesting, made me think more about my own personal relationship with deity.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2015
Emily Smith
Emily Smith rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
LauraW
LauraW rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Briana Selleck
Briana Selleck rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2013
Mckinley
Aug 06, 2016 Mckinley rated it liked it
Maybe better to listen to than to read due to writing style.
Dana Davis
Dana Davis rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2009
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2011
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Em-nat
Em-nat rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2012
Ki
Ki rated it liked it
May 10, 2011
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2011
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Warrior Girl: A Novel of Joan of Arc
  • Alison Goes for the Gold (Magic Attic Club, #2)
  • Buffalo Woman
  • The Star Fisher
  • The Story of the Nutcracker Ballet
  • The Virgin Warrior: The Life and Death of Joan of Arc
  • Weather the Storm (American Dreams, Part 3)
  • A Flower Fairy Alphabet
  • The Companion of Lady Holmeshire
  • The Little Lamb
  • The Bear
  • The Golden Treasury of Poetry
  • Courageous (Valiant Hearts, #3)
  • American Girl Magazine
  • Meet Me in St. Louis
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • The Silver Pony
  • The Troubadour's Quest (Theyn Chronicles, #2)
BARBARA DANA is an award-winning author of books for children and young adults. Her books include Zucchini, Zucchini Out West, Crazy Eights, Necessary Parties, Rutgers and the Water Snouts, Spencer and his Friends and Young Joan, a historical novel based on the life of Joan of Arc. Her new novel, A Voice of Her Own: Becoming Emily Dickinson, is available March 1, 2009 (HarperCollins Publishers).

Sh
More about Barbara Dana...