Start by marking “The Worst Call Ever!” as Want to Read:
The Worst Call Ever!

The Worst Call Ever!

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In any sport, whenever an official takes the field, court, ice, ring, or pitch, they do so with a bright red bull's-eye on their backs. For even with their great accuracy and passion for the game, they do make errors—occasionally, great big fat ones—that change the tide of sports history.

In The Worst Call Ever, keepers of truth and enlightenment, sportswriters Kyle Garlet
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Call Ever!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Call Ever!

Matthew Bolin
A breezy read which covers almost every possible major sport, both professional and amateur (including a large section on the Olympics), there were a number of incidents that I had never heard about in any of the many other sports books I've read. However, I wish that the examples given were explored in more detail: At about an average of two pages per event, there are nearly 100 examples in less than 230 pages, which often left me with an incomplete feeling.

More importantly, though, I found the
Highly readable reprise of some famous (e.g., 1972 Olympic basketball final highway robbery in which the Soviets were given the gold medal the US should have won -- nice anecdote that one of the US players stipulated in his will that his family must never agree to accept the silver medal on his behalf) and some less famous blown calls across a range of sports.

I was struck by how many of the clearest cases involved timing (e.g., failing to start the game clock for several seconds and thereby all
Hugh Henry
Jan 02, 2008 Hugh Henry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Sports Fans
Shelves: sports
This book revels in the one sports entity that everyone has at one time or another learned to dislike, hate, deride, or mock in some way. The authors maintain a priceless sense of humor throughout the book, which is essential for this subject. Writing about injustice can be painful and depressing, especially for the Yankee-haters like me who learn that four of the worst blown calls in history benefitted the Damn Yankees. This book is light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek, as evidenced immediately by ...more
Laura Walin
Two things were a dissappointment for me: firstly, that as an American book the books conceentrated on teh big four American sports, namely baskeball, baseball, (their) football and hockey. As I don't know the rules of the first three so well, it was not alays easy to assess the level of mistake. Secondly, I did not think that the sotires chosen alays fitted with the title. And of course, as a refereee myself, I did not always appreciate the "funny" way the mistakes were presented. Educative rea ...more
Good sports book. They do a good job covering the major sports, splitting them up by chapters. I wish they had ranked them instead though. That would have been something I would have found more enjoyable, but overall it is a good fun read.
Jim added it
Sep 17, 2015
Lorrine Thompson
Lorrine Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Leo Alessi
Leo Alessi marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Greg marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Doug marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
ken savage
ken savage marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
David added it
Jul 10, 2012
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012