Start by marking “Seal Of Honor” as Want to Read:
Seal Of Honor
Preview

Seal Of Honor

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,272 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Seal Of Honor Lt. Michael Patrick Murphy posthumously received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroic actions in June 2005 during a fierce battle with Taliban fighters. The first SEAL to be honoured posthumously, he was also the first recipient of the nation's highest military honour as a result of U.S. involvement in Afghanistan. Full description
Published May 1st 2011 by Naval Institute Press (first published May 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Seal Of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seal Of Honor

Erik
It is hard to write an objective review of this book, as it profiles Mike Murphy, a classmate of mine and fellow graduate of PMHS 1994. I took a few classes with Murphy and had maybe a dozen conversations with him, so we weren't close, but I knew him.

The story of Murphy's bravery and his resolve in Operation Redwing is truly amazing. His inner strength and drive in becoming a SEAL is amazing. His story leading up to the summer of 2005 and the public's response to his heroism after his death is
Theri Grevelis (actually Edwards these days)
This is a story about Lt. Michael P. Murphy. If you have read or are thinking about reading Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and I highly recommend you do, this would be the book to read next. This book is the life and legacy of Michael Murphy, from childhood where you get glimpses of the man he ultimately would become, to Operation Redwings that ultimately took his life.

The author gives us an in depth personal look in to the family and friends that shaped him. My heart ached for Maureen (his m
Jon
Pretty easy book to read. Not a lot of pages. Very hard to read because it is about Operation Red Wings, the SEAL op that resulted in the deaths of 19 US personnel. June 28, 2005.

We know the outcome already. But unless we were there, we still want the details. This is about the Team Leader, Lt. Michael P. Murphy, the SEAL officer whose actions later resulted in our nation's highest award, The Medal Of Honor. IMHO the only country that can produce such warriors, such honorable men, is this great
Brian
Coming off of the heels of Lone Survivor, this book was a disappointment. Where Lone Survivor was full of life, Seal of Honor was drab*; it is like comparing a Bose Surround Sound to a cheap clock radio. What a shame, as I really wanted to get to know the life of this extraordinary man.

*putting aside the obvious comparision that Luttrell survived and Murphy did not and that their families had to cope with very different outcomes, I am referring to the writing style.

That being said, Williams defi
Una
A powerful look into the honorable life of Lt. Michael Murphy, USN SEAL & a man who achieved the highest award in the military, the Medal of Honor, for his integrity, dedication, compassion, determination, courage & leadership. This book also provides a good glimpse into the lives of SEALs: the training, testing, perseverance, physical & mental determination, as well as the commitment to the team. These men form such a strong bond they are willing to die for each other, as was the ca ...more
shay
i wanted so much to like this book. i am fascinated by the story of "operation red wings" and loved "lone survivor". i was interested in hearing about one of the other men on that mission.

to put it mildly, this book sucked. and here's why:

whoever edited this thing should be fired. there were so many typos (i mean, tons and tons of typos), bad grammar, etc.

over a third of the book (maybe even half) was pretty much cribbed from dick couch's excellent books on the navy seals and their training pro
Miki
The Medal of Honor is given to those who have performed service over and above the call of duty. There must be more to the story of this man's heroism, because it seemed to me that he didn't earn this award. From all accounts he was a good man and a dedicated soldier, and a highly praised leader. However, not only did he accidentally shoot a teammate while in training, ending the teammate's career, this man's SEAL team, by his own order, broke mission protocol and were discovered by the enemy. T ...more
Kennedy Bekedam
Mary
Emylie
At times I felt like this book was giving me lists of information put together in paragraph form and then a sentimental sentence was tagged on at the end. I read this book after two books written by Navy SEALS that I really liked, so perhaps I would have enjoyed this more if I read it before those...but the book left me feeling like there was so much more to know about this incredible person. Instead, it told us about who rode the red bus to the Pentagon for a tour during the week the Medal of H ...more
William Casey
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was not a very hard book to comprehend, which I liked because the purpose of this book was to inform the public on a navy SEAL that fought bravely for his country in operation Red Wings, a mission where he fought and was killed in Afghanistan. It is hard to read at times when the book describes his family's feelings and reaction to his death. I thought that the author had a lot of good facts about what happened, and about the lives of those who served in th ...more
Christine D
2.5? the author never met Lt. Michael Murphy so I feel there was quite a detachment. I did not like the writing style. Lt Murphy was a hero, no doubt, but I wasn't a huge fan of the book. The book did not live up to the hero's legacy. I really didn't like how the first forty pages or so were about the grief of his loved ones (how they found out he died) and his funeral. if you are writing a book to honor's someone's life, shouldn't you begin with how they lived? I would think so.
the book was com
Jean Poulos
Lt. Murphy, the leader of a Navy SEAL squad was killed during a fierce battle against the Taliban on a remote mountainside in the Kongeral Valley in Afghanistan on 28 June 2005. Lt. Murphy was the first to receive the Medal of Honor for service in Afghanistan; he was also the first naval officer to receive the Medal since the Viet Nam War. The author tells the story of Murphy’s life and how he came to be a SEAL. The book also goes into detail about the other members of the squad and the men that ...more
Shannon
I was hoping for more from this book, more about the life of Michael P Murphy. We get some background on his life but so much of this book was just generic info on the SEALs and I will admit to skipping through pages. I guess I'm comparing it to Lone Survivor in a way, which isn't fair as that is told in the first person, by someone who lived it, while this is a story told by someone else, who had to rely on others for everything.
Michael P. Murphy was a true American hero and from everything th
Michael D Hartnett
A gripping read.....

A gripping read.....

I could not put this book down. I hope my sons develop the character and integrity of Lt. Murphy. The author's narrative put me uncomfortably into the position of Lt Murphy's parents at what must have been the most difficult moments of life that any parent would have to go through......learning of the death of their child....the ultimate complement that I can give the author is that I will be acquiring other books to learn more about the Navy SEALs.
Beau Raines
This book has three intermingled parts. The first is about Operation Red Wings, the second about the life and character of USN LT Michael Murphy and the third about the training that LT Murphy went through to become a SEAL.

The portion of the book on Operation Red Wings is brief. While it is important to include as it was the prime example of LT Murphy's leadership, there are better sources to read about Red Wings.

The author did a wonderful job learning and sharing LT Murphy's background and char
Mark Sequeira
Seal Of Honor is the story of Lt. Mike Murphy, who was with Marcus Luttrell in the mountains of Afghanistan when their SEAL team was detected and attacked by Al-Qaeda/Taliban forces in 2005 (as relayed in 'Lone Survivor').

This book is in some sense the sequel to 'Lone Survivor' with very little overlap between them. It is in many ways a memorial in that so much time/space is spent on the memorial service/funeral of Mike Murphy at the beginning and again at the end, including details on each pers
Ru
A stirring biographical look at the life of Lt. Michael P. Murphy, a member of SEAL Team 10 killed in action during Operation Red Wings in 2005. This book is an incredible companion piece to Marcus Luttrell's "Lone Survivor". The two books compliment each other so perfectly, one might think they were written side-by-side. In fact, Gary Willams and the family of the late Murphy weren't even aware of Luttrell's book until it was released.

While Luttrell's primary focus is the events surrounding the
Kevin
To get a true picture of what Michael Murphy endured, you should also read Marcus Lutrell's Lone Survivor. The two SEALS, along with fellow SEALS Matt Axelson and Danny Dietz, were dropped in the mountainous regions of Afghanistan to monitor a high profile target. Their position was given away by goat herders who stumbled across their position. The SEALS had to make a decision to either let the herders go, who obviously did not like the presence of the American soldiers, or execute them, which w ...more
Jim
Lt. Murphy was leading a 4-man SEAL team on a recon mission in the Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan when his team came under fire from dozens of Taliban fighters. The fighters were certainly altered to their location by the goat herders the SEALs released unharmed an hour earlier, when the goats stumbled upon their concealed location. Lt. Murphy and two of the other three SEALs were killed in action, but not before Murphy exposed himself to enemy fire to make a last-ditch call for help as his te ...more
Brent Phillips
This book reads somewhat like a college paper as some other reviewers have mentioned however it doesn't take away from the quality of the presentation. The reader will learn a lot about Michael Murphy as well as Danny Dietz, Matthew Axelson and Marcus Luttrell that you don't learn in other books about Operation Red Wings like Lone Survivor.
Karie
This book is a must read. Read Lone Survivor first. SEAL of Honor was written long enough after Opeation Red Wing that much of the classified information was de-classified so you get a more indepth look at the operation itself. However the book is not about Operation Red Wing, but about Medal of Honor recipient Lt. Michael Murphy. This book is powerful and Murphy's life and legacy were powerful. An amazing man who gave everything. Ironically and sadly enough, many of the men that served with Mur ...more
Stephen Allen
A superb leader taken well before his time

The navy needs more leaders like Lt. Murphy. His selfless devotion to duty is apparent from the start and because of that he paid the ultimate sacrifice. His legacy will always remain with those that follow in his foot steps through BUD/s and follow on with the teams. He set the bar high for others that inspire to achieve the levels that he did. RIP sir, we have the watch.
Chris Green
There have only been a couple books that have brought tears to my eyes. This being one them. This book outlines the entire life of Lt. Michael Murphy and heroism he displayed during Operation Red Wings. It is a great first hand look into Lt. Murphy's life from the perspective of his family.
Dave
Good book and a nice insight into the character of a man that sacrificed himself so that another may live. I had read Lone Survivor before this book and while that book described the battle and sacrifice in great detail, I appreciated the character study this book offered, both of Murphy and his family. I appreciated the background on his training and dedication, and following his death the events that occurred afterwards, culminating in the Medal of Honor and how he impacted others.

The writing
christie jones
Thanks to all that serve

This brings you to your knees. Males you rethink about how committed you are to things. Read it for the history,read it to learn but most of all read it to remember.
Exceptional book about an incredibly courageous young man. A must read for all true Americans. This will just give average citizens a glimpse into the sacrifices made to serve our country. Very touching and informative.
Samm
I was amazed and touched by the author's portrayal of the Murphy family and of Murphy himself. The author didn't go into too many details, if the experience was mentioned in another book. He added in the footnotes where to find it. I also liked the end of the book where he listed all the men who died while trying to go in and save Murphy's team. It's still so remarkable to me what these guys go through in BUD/S and then be wiling to still go out and sacrifice that last great measure of devotion ...more
Jacki
Had to read since read Lone Surviour and Fearless and of course watched the movie. It was a good story about Lt Murphy's life and how he became a Seal, and his military career.
Janinesanford
After Lone Survivor, this is the next book to read.
  • Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal
  • Service: A Navy SEAL at War
  • The Finishing School: Earning the Navy SEAL Trident
  • The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • Damn Few: Making the Modern SEAL Warrior
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • Into the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War
  • Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man
  • Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
  • In the Company of Heroes
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
Death in the Beginning Indisputable Proof Three Keys to Murder Evil in the Beginning Before The Proof

“The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.                     —WILLIAM JAMES,” 0 likes
“There is no second place in a gunfight. Winners kill, losers get killed. Fight to win. Train to live. v. All” 0 likes