Start by marking “Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth: Books 3 and 4 in the New York Times Bestselling Series” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth

Books 3 and 4 in the New York Times Bestselling Series

"An outstanding historical series . . . deeply empathetic.” ( The New York Times Book Review )

Pardonable Lies , by Jacqueline Winspear
(Maisie Dobbs novel #3)

In the third novel of this unique and masterly crime series, a deathbed plea from his w
Published February 15th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published February 4th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth

Ruth
After taking a break from Reading Books 1 and 2 of the Maisie Dobbs series and while my local library hunted them down, reading them was like a heart warming homecoming. I can only hope it won't take as long for them to get books 5 and 6. This series will prompt you to briskly move on to the next book in sucession, Love them!
Marti
Pardonable Lies:
As a teacher, it’s interesting and delightful to see a writer’s craft develop. I believe I am witnessing that development of art and skill in Jacqueline Winspear. With each book in the Maisie Dobbs series, she is just better. The plots have seemed to have more “pizzazz” and the characters just get rounder and rounder. I really liked that this book was in three sections, with the first section set in England, the second in France, and the last back in England. As in the previous b
Deb
I love this series. I am not a fan of historical fiction as a rule but I find this period in England to be fascinating. The strength and gentleness of Maisie is a marvelous and compelling combination. Once deep in these books, I become oblivious to the world, having escaped across the sea to a world far removed from my own.
Roya
Alexander McCall Smith (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency) recommended this author and I have enjoyed the books so far. If you like Alexander McCall Smith, Agatha Christie, etc., you will enjoy this series too. It is set in the U.K. (for the most part) between the World Wars. The main character is Maisie Dobbs, "psychologist and investigator." She is also a little bit "New Age." She is an interesting character, as are the characters associated with her in the book. The light psychology and New Age t ...more
Jodi
Really enjoy this author. Love the mix of history, mystery and psychology all rolled into one. Listened to this on my commute so there was a small mishap where four chapters were skipped but didn't lose out on the story much just my prolonged enjoyment. Author doesn't belittle the reader nor does she not give you a chance to figure out the mystery. Guess the best thing I can say is that I have just completed the download for the next book. Someday I'll read a print book again after planning for ...more
Bob Lenning
Pardonable Lies:

There's no murder here, so in some ways it is not a traditional mystery. But it is still a mystery nonetheless. And though the mysteries aren't deep, there are multiple plots running at the same time and this makes it rather suspenseful. I find Ms. Winspear's writing easy to read and am really enjoying this series. Having read most of the Ian Rutledge series by Charles Todd too, I find these British after-the-war historicals informative as well as entertaining.

Messenger of Truth:
Jennifer Kepesh
Winspear grew more confident, and the mysteries are more polished. Both Pardonable Lies and especially Messenger of Truth are fine cozies.
Cissy
I'm not usually a mystery reader, but thanks to book club, I started into this great series. The history and psychology keep me interested even when the actual case is only so-so. I like books that are more character-driven, so I enjoyed slowly figuring out the story of this thoughtful, brilliant, sometimes nervous and troubled, British gal. I'm finding myself picking up the next book from the library whenever I need a good, fun, but not stupid or shallow, read. (I do think that the case in the ...more
Ginia
It shouldn't have taken me 2 months, but I finally finished Messenger of Truth today. I suppose Maisie Dobbs is a very intense character. For me, she requires long periods of calm reflection.

This book was about an artist and his art. Reading about art and reading about someone trying to understand the artist also requires long breaks of calm reflection. Some of my breaks were maybe too long but the writing and story are tight enough to 'draw' me in. Kept me reading to the end. And the end is th
Michelle
Just ok books--- could not get pulled into the story or characters like I wanted to!! But glad I read the books as they were recommended to me. Liked that each had a mystery and stories that twist and turn, but it was not the type of story that had me reading it all in one sitting ....
Ruth
3.5 stars. I like Maisie Dobbs. I don't know why I only feel 3 stars about her. For the good writing, strong female lead and interesting tales, what is it that leaves me wanting?
Phil
Think of a 30s Miss Marple sort of crime solver. No sex or violence to speak of. Quiet, thoughtful and seemingly accurate to the period. Good but not compelling reading.
Patty
Jul 16, 2011 Patty added it
great escape; nice series
Elena
Elena is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Face in the Mirror
  • The Lady Julia Grey Bundle
  • Other Worlds
  • Paying the Piper (Elizabeth MacPherson, #4)
  • A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford #3)
  • The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #3)
  • The Greatcoat
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3)
  • The Color Of Lightning
  • The Forsaken Inn
  • As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce, #7)
  • The Mangle Street Murders (The Gower Street Detective, #1)
  • Beware This Boy (Detective Tom Tyler #2)
  • The Creative Writing Coursebook: Forty Authors Share Advice and Exercises for Fiction and Poetry
  • 1,033 Reasons to Smile
  • At the Edge of Space (Hanan Rebellion Omnibus) (Alliance-Union Universe)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li
More about Jacqueline Winspear...
Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3) Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs #2) The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs #7) Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)