Start by marking “Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth: Books 3 and 4 in the New York Times Bestselling Series” as Want to Read:
Preview

Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth: Books 3 and 4 in the New York Times Bestselling Series (Maisie Dobbs #3-4)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth

Books 3 and 4 in the New York Times Bestselling Series

"An outstanding historical series . . . deeply empathetic.” ( The New York Times Book Review )

Pardonable Lies , by Jacqueline Winspear
(Maisie Dobbs novel #3)

In the third novel of this unique and masterly crime series, a deathbed plea
Published February 15th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published February 4th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth

Ruth
After taking a break from Reading Books 1 and 2 of the Maisie Dobbs series and while my local library hunted them down, reading them was like a heart warming homecoming. I can only hope it won't take as long for them to get books 5 and 6. This series will prompt you to briskly move on to the next book in sucession, Love them!
Jan Murphy
Oh Maisie

Such a good read. Hard to put down. This is my fourth Maisie Dobbs book and I plan to read them all. Most reviewers like to tell part of the story...not me. I don't want to spoil the story for you. I just want to assure you that Jacqueline Winspear is a master story teller and holds your interest from beginning to end. She fleshes out her characters so you can really see them. Her landscape descriptions are brilliant. Buy her books, you will not be disappointed..and you'll wish for more
Marti
Pardonable Lies:
As a teacher, it’s interesting and delightful to see a writer’s craft develop. I believe I am witnessing that development of art and skill in Jacqueline Winspear. With each book in the Maisie Dobbs series, she is just better. The plots have seemed to have more “pizzazz” and the characters just get rounder and rounder. I really liked that this book was in three sections, with the first section set in England, the second in France, and the last back in England. As in the previous b
Deb
I love this series. I am not a fan of historical fiction as a rule but I find this period in England to be fascinating. The strength and gentleness of Maisie is a marvelous and compelling combination. Once deep in these books, I become oblivious to the world, having escaped across the sea to a world far removed from my own.
Roya
Alexander McCall Smith (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency) recommended this author and I have enjoyed the books so far. If you like Alexander McCall Smith, Agatha Christie, etc., you will enjoy this series too. It is set in the U.K. (for the most part) between the World Wars. The main character is Maisie Dobbs, "psychologist and investigator." She is also a little bit "New Age." She is an interesting character, as are the characters associated with her in the book. The light psychology and New Age t ...more
Jodi
Really enjoy this author. Love the mix of history, mystery and psychology all rolled into one. Listened to this on my commute so there was a small mishap where four chapters were skipped but didn't lose out on the story much just my prolonged enjoyment. Author doesn't belittle the reader nor does she not give you a chance to figure out the mystery. Guess the best thing I can say is that I have just completed the download for the next book. Someday I'll read a print book again after planning for ...more
Bob Lenning
Pardonable Lies:

There's no murder here, so in some ways it is not a traditional mystery. But it is still a mystery nonetheless. And though the mysteries aren't deep, there are multiple plots running at the same time and this makes it rather suspenseful. I find Ms. Winspear's writing easy to read and am really enjoying this series. Having read most of the Ian Rutledge series by Charles Todd too, I find these British after-the-war historicals informative as well as entertaining.

Messenger of Truth:
Jennifer Kepesh
Winspear grew more confident, and the mysteries are more polished. Both Pardonable Lies and especially Messenger of Truth are fine cozies.
Cissy
I'm not usually a mystery reader, but thanks to book club, I started into this great series. The history and psychology keep me interested even when the actual case is only so-so. I like books that are more character-driven, so I enjoyed slowly figuring out the story of this thoughtful, brilliant, sometimes nervous and troubled, British gal. I'm finding myself picking up the next book from the library whenever I need a good, fun, but not stupid or shallow, read. (I do think that the case in the ...more
Ginia
It shouldn't have taken me 2 months, but I finally finished Messenger of Truth today. I suppose Maisie Dobbs is a very intense character. For me, she requires long periods of calm reflection.

This book was about an artist and his art. Reading about art and reading about someone trying to understand the artist also requires long breaks of calm reflection. Some of my breaks were maybe too long but the writing and story are tight enough to 'draw' me in. Kept me reading to the end. And the end is th
Michele Benson
It was great, unexpected surprises and a good ending. I can't wait for the next one.
Michelle
Just ok books--- could not get pulled into the story or characters like I wanted to!! But glad I read the books as they were recommended to me. Liked that each had a mystery and stories that twist and turn, but it was not the type of story that had me reading it all in one sitting ....
Ruth
3.5 stars. I like Maisie Dobbs. I don't know why I only feel 3 stars about her. For the good writing, strong female lead and interesting tales, what is it that leaves me wanting?
Phil
Think of a 30s Miss Marple sort of crime solver. No sex or violence to speak of. Quiet, thoughtful and seemingly accurate to the period. Good but not compelling reading.
Patty
Jul 16, 2011 Patty added it
great escape; nice series
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Renee Richter
Renee Richter is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
  • The Face in the Mirror (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #11.5)
  • The Lady Julia Grey Bundle
  • Paying the Piper (Elizabeth MacPherson, #4)
  • Other Worlds
  • An Impartial Witness (Bess Crawford, #2)
  • Their Noble Lordships: Hereditary Peerage Today
  • The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #3)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • The Greatcoat
  • The Color Of Lightning
  • A Secret Identity (Amish Farm Triology, #2)
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • Anatomy of Murder (Crowther and Westerman, #2)
  • Dark Assassin (William Monk, #15)
  • Collected Works of Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Calling Mr. King
  • A Distant Music (The Mountain Song Legacy #1)
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li
More about Jacqueline Winspear...

Maisie Dobbs (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs #2)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs #7)
  • A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs #8)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs #9)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs #10)
Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3) Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs #2) The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs #7) Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)