Start by marking “Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings: Madea's Uninhibited Commentaries on Love and Life” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,465 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
Published April 11th 2006 by Riverhead Hardcover (first published 2006)

Majenta
Jul 22, 2016 Majenta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love Madea, you'll love this! My Kindle version repeats several chapters back-to-back as though they were the ones Madea feels most strongly about. Or it could just be plain ol' error. You know Madea: she feels "most strongly" about EVERYTHING!

Thanks for reading, and watch out for Madea!
Breezy B
Apr 16, 2008 Breezy B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
man this book is sooooooo funny i really enjoy
Vannessa Anderson
Sep 03, 2008 Vannessa Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Don’t Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings took me back to my childhood because I could hear my mother’s voice in Madea’s words. No book has made me laugh so hard in a long time. Don’t Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings is a reminder of when children were parented, paid attention to, and cared for. I enjoyed reading about the village I grew up in when children had no privacy because neighbors would watch out for you when the parents weren’t available to do so. A must read..
Nick Scott
This book was a lot like a Tyler Perry movie: not good, not bad, but it exists. There are some fun Madea moments, and I started to wonder if I should be worried a couple of times when I actually began to take things out of it to apply to my life. The book just doesn't have the same novelty that comes with watching Madea on screen or stage (though perhaps the audiobook would). Near the end you feel like you've read some of the same things over and over. There just isn't enough substance here to w ...more
Cheryl
Thoroughly enjoyed this well-written tongue-in-cheek fiction that contains a whole lot of great advice.
Quanda
Dec 17, 2008 Quanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who anyone who needs a refresher guide for life.
Recommended to Quanda by: My book (picked this book for us to read)
There was nothing really special about this book. But what makes it a good read is that it is a reminder of the things you already know, you've already been told. A refresher as to the lesson's you should have already learned, or if you're one of those people who just have to fall on your behind over and over again, it gives advice as how to stop.

This book is a reiteration of the things we sometimes forget due to life's unexpected experiences that may distract us from what we should often keep w
Kimberly Hicks
This is the book that made me finally finish my novel! In Madea's true style, she says something near the end that pushed me over the edge! "If you're a writer, then BE a writer!" She said something to that effect, but it lit a fire under me and I completed Mello & June. I will always be indebted to Madea/Tyler Perry for making me get to it! This book had me in tears of laughter, and it was so damn true. If you enjoy laughing, this book is definitely for you!
Holly
Nov 11, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I loved this book! It is funny but also has some "truisms" in it. Little pearls of wisdom from Madea! My favorite chapter was "Hold the Frisbee". That's where she equates "relationships" with throwing the frisbee to a dog. If you want the dog to stay interested in the frisbee, don't throw it too much. I'm thinking of making my 18 yr old daughter read it! We need more Madea's!!
Cassandra
Jul 06, 2012 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am biased when it comes to Mr. Perry simply because I love everything he does.
Andrea
Jan 03, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HA-llarious! Tyler Perry is SOOOO funny! I needed something humourus and light hearted and this was it. 100% in Madea tone!
Zetta
Aug 16, 2008 Zetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
This relatively short book (254 pages, hardback) needs to be read it from cover-to-cover, but it is divided into eleven sections making it easy to jump to where you need help most.

The purpose of this book is instructional and the clue is in the title. You don’t want to make a black woman take off her earrings. Why? Because this is your last clue that you have crossed the line and sistah-girl is about to throw down. Your mouth has written a check that is about to be cashed on your behind. So it’s
Bridget
Jun 07, 2015 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book for me is a re-read, and I am typically not a person who re-reads books...I am one who feels like there are too many books in the world to keep re-reading the same ones over and over again.... but, I read this book around the time it came out about 8 years ago...and I loved it even then. (Will I ever re-read another book? Maybe! Or was I a person who totally wrote off re-reading a book? No. It's just not something I would make a big habit of unless I felt I needed information out of th ...more
Tomi
Nov 16, 2011 Tomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Madea!!!!!! What was you thinking...

you know .. sometimes, Madea is just a little to true to be real... Unbelievable. She makes sense... at times... just only sometimes.. other times.. she should be jailed.. but then What the heck.. sometimes you need to say crazy stuff just to make some sense of the weird world we live in.

And true to the word.. Kids born since the 80's think that every thing should be handed to them on a plate. They do not want to work for anything.. Spe
Amy
Dec 30, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I usually do not enjoy modern comedies because I find a lot of them to be rather stupid and shallow. However, I do find Tyler Perry's Madea character hilarious. Therefore, I thought that this book might be good for some laughs. I was disappointed. I chuckled once or twice, but found myself skimming the book. It reads like an actual self-help book, and I just didn't find it amusing or useful. Humor is a very personal thing, however, and I imagine that many people out there might get a laugh out o ...more
Ronald Wise
Jul 22, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it it was ok
The New York Times listed it a non-fiction, but the library has it in the fiction section — in reality a fictious autobiographical monolog by a Black man portraying an old woman. It was amusing at times and provided some insight into the African-American culture, but became rather boring midway through the book. I learned of this book from its three-month stay on the New York Times best seller list in the spring of 2006.
Ginnie Grant
Feb 15, 2014 Ginnie Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, Madea. the best case of D.I.D ever. This book is just like you would expect Madea to be. Honest, nothing held back, yes she went there. Funny as hell, but also a type of sage wisdom. When it comes to beauty, be natural and keep lots of Vaseline, when it comes to love, Dont stay if it ain't working. when it comes to kids, whup that ass. stay in school, soeak properly. everyone regardless of class or race or age could get something from reading this book.
Bonnie
Mar 05, 2015 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick and easy read. I enjoyed it as far as light reading goes but if you look, there are some deep and profound memories brought to mind in regard to manners, common sense and treating others as you want to be treated. As another review stated, this book is nothing new and basically reiterates what we all know and grew up knowing; well, most of us. IF you are looking for fun and a few laughs, this is the book for you. If you are looking for depth, try something else.
Miguel Angel
Sep 02, 2015 Miguel Angel rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! I loved the movies and the plays and the honorable life-quoted Madea says in them, so I searched Amazon for a book and there was one! This one was a fun run, "slow" at times (even though there is no story) but overall, I bought it to learn life lessons and I can honestly say I did.
Donna
Aug 21, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audio is wonderful …I’ll need to listen to this again…and again…LOVE this character…..so very funny and so much is true. I was laughing out loud throughout. I’d love to have a Madea in my life… Now what would be wonderful is if Medea met Flip Wilson’s Geraldine….

Wish Medea had a Facebook page and sent out Madea stories... a smile a day!!
Lisa Wells
I see the humor, it doesnt bother me as much as I thought it would. I value the culture, even though some of what she says is so politically incorrect, being unhealthy advise. But I like the cultural aspect.
Carolina
Sep 28, 2015 Carolina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some very humorous parts, but to take it seriously, there were some life lessons in here that can help me in the future. I feel like this book may have taught me to let some things go. It taught me to let go of the things I cannot change.
Denise
Jan 31, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Madea movie or play I've seen is filled with laughter and more importantly, life lessons and this book was no different. I could hear Madea's voice in my mind throughout this whole book and it was fun to read. If you enjoy the movies, you'll enjoy this book.
Cynthia
Aug 06, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I laughed so hard I was crying. From an African American prespective this book was hilarious and real. Above all to hear it on CD was the funniest thing. The life examples were true and brought back memories. Above all it was a good read even if just to laugh, think, and enjoy.
NzingaMarie
Dec 24, 2011 NzingaMarie rated it it was ok
This was an ok book. I wanted to love it because it was written by Tyler Perry. The only problem is: if you've seen a couple Madea plays, then you've read this book. It's more recommended for anyone who hasn't seen too many of the plays or movies.
Shahad Al Melhem
Apr 18, 2016 Shahad Al Melhem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I am always on the road and traffic can be boring and stressful at times. Hearing this audio book in my car was as if I was in a comedy show. I couldnt stop laughing regardless of the ridiculous advise that was being offered by Madea.
Ravneet

Madea is hilarious as always. There were many times I was laughing out loud. However, much of the advice shared is commonly known. It has been cited in other books or is general knowledge. She provided reminders in a humorous way.
Joshua
Jul 14, 2014 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

It's like I could hear Madea saying these things right to my face. Bravo tho Ms. Simmons and Mr. Perry on creating such a funny, practical work!
DeAnna
Jun 07, 2012 DeAnna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just watch the movies instead.
Ronald Veri
I liked it

if I didn't know who Madea was I don't think I would have liked it as much. l liked it.
Doris Raines
Let. Me. Start. By. Saying. I. Love. Tyler. Perry. Movies. All. Of. Them. A. Book. To. Remember. You. Are. Truelly. A. Genius. Thank. You. Doris.
  • Not Easily Broken
  • Don't Want No Sugar
  • In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)
  • Her Stories: African American Folktales, Fairy Tales, and True Tales
  • Diary of an Ugly Duckling
  • Yesterday, I Cried
  • Swerve
  • The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black, #5)
  • Nappily Ever After (Nappily, #1)
  • The Vixen Manual: How to Find, Seduce, & Keep the Man You Want
  • Money Is The Motive
  • Red Hats
Tyler Perry is an American playwright, actor and film director. His best-known character is Mabel Simmons, more commonly known as "Madea," an overbearing but well-intentioned woman who serves both as comic relief and as the loud voice of conscience to the protagonists of Perry's plays.
More about Tyler Perry...

“What I've found about it is that there are some folks you can talk to until you're blue in the face--they're never going to get it and they're never going to change. But every once in a while, you'll run into someone who is eager to listen, eager to learn, and willing to try new things. Those are the people we need to reach. We have a responsibility as parents, older people, teachers, people in the neighborhood to recognize that.” 95 likes
“...when you put on your shortest dress, please leave some mystery in it. That's the difference between a miniskirt and a ho-skirt. A ho-skirt shows your Frisbee. A miniskirt shows just enough to cause some mystery. What these young women lack is mystery.” 42 likes