Start by marking “Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew” as Want to Read:
Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew

Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  35 reviews
An inspirational account of one dad's extraordinary journey through cancer, fatherhood, and several forgotten life lessons--and the discovery of one life-changing gift. Jim Higley was a forty-year-old bobblehead. Just like those collectible figurines with oversized, bouncy heads, he'd put on a smiling face and bobble through his hectic, overflowing days.

Higley's bobbling c...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Greenleaf Book Group LLC

To ask other readers questions about Bobblehead Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bobblehead Dad

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinImaginary Girls by Nova Ren SumaOn the Fringe by Courtney King WalkerA Blue So Dark by Holly SchindlerThe Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan
Swimmers on the Cover
64th out of 173 books — 258 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldLife of Pi by Yann MartelTwilight by Stephenie MeyerExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Favorite book covers
107th out of 175 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Darlene
May 21, 2011 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Most adults
Recommended to Darlene by: First-Reads, GoodReads
Shelves: first-reads, memoir
Yay! I won this book on GoodReads First-Reads! I can hardly wait to start reading it. It looks like fun.

* * *

This was a delightful read about some very unfortunate life and death issues. For an ARC it was quite clean, easy to read. If there were mistakes I never noticed them. But dropping into another's life and thoughts helped me see things through another's eyes. That's is how I perceived this book. Jim Higley tells his story of present and past in such a seamless way that I feel a part of his...more
Kristin
I won this book in Goodreads First Reads.

It was a really great and inspiring read and I'm so happy to have had the privilege of reading it. For an ARC is was really well done, easy to read, spelling and grammar were good and most of all it was difficult to put down.

It's easy to forget how lucky we really are and how much our parents really know until it's too late. It was amazing to see life through another persons eyes as he battled with a life threatening disease and read as he battled it to...more
Miri
This book has a lot of really great messages. It is, however, super dramatically written, and that always makes me a little cynical. Jim Higley uses dramatic writing techniques--like parenthetical dashes--too often, and in places where they don't really make sense grammatically.

He indents--the way writers do for emphasis--far, far too often.

For sentences that aren't actually emphatic.

Like this one.

That is my primary complaint. As far as the story goes, it's nothing earth-shattering, but it is...more
Amanda
May 21, 2011 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is a truly inspiring story of man that has been diagnosed with cancer and then after surgery on a summer of recovering he is hit by many memories from his childhood. As he reflects on all of the loving memories of his life he is faced with a realization that he has been missing more in his life then he has been actually enjoying and he is forced to decided what he will do with the rest of his life.
I would also like to say I have had to many of my family members die from cancer and my dad...more
Joelle
Bobblehead Dad is not only a story about a man who is diagnosed with cancer and his recovery, it is a story of love and a challenge to love for today. Jim Higley has a way to your heart with his memories from his childhood and entwining them with the present day. A marriage of the past and present that will have you misty eyed by chapter 3 and laughing and shaking your head just picturing the scene in chapter 19. Bobblehead Dad is a must read for anyone who has fought the fight or been a cheerle...more
Julie Lorraine
Bobblehead Dad is an inspirational, fun to read book. It is a quick read that you will not want to put down. When it is finished, you wish it would go on. In a witty way, the book takes you through the authors cancer journey with each step relating back to a childhood memory. It is upbeat, positive and funny! It definitely will make you a better person when you are done reading it. A great idea for Father's Day!
Jemma
Bobblehead Dad was a cover to cover read; I could not put it down. I loved how the author wove his childhood experiences into his present day fight against cancer. Having lost family & friends to cancer, I really related to this book. For anyone who has personal, or knows anyone who has battled cancer, this is a must read. You will laugh, cry, and end feeling lighter & uplifted. Truly inspiring!
Chitoka Webb
A story about survival that will inspire you. This is one of those books that you will remember fifteen years from now.
Before you know it, Jim’s confidence and determination to live as seeped into that portion of doubt that lives within all of us causing it to pulverize. I can assure you, if you read it once you will find yourself reading it twice.
Sandy
May 02, 2012 Sandy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nook, own
“Words can heal. They can surprise. They can encourage. It doesn’t matter if they are handwritten or if a Hallmark had to be leaned on for a little help. Words matter. Because they remind each of us who we are to the people in our lives.” Aren’t these just wonderful words to reflect upon on? These words are just a few of the wonderful statements that Jim enlightens his readers with as we traveled back in time with Jim, when he was a child growing up with his brothers and his parents and also as...more
Sheldon
Bobblehead Dad by Jim Higley is a nonlinear memoir told in the form of 25 lesson the author has learned during his life. In his forties, the author was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had to take stock of his life, the legacy he was given by his family, and the legacy he would leave to his children. He described himself as a bobblehead in the introduction, a plastic figure who always had a constant smile no matter what influences or stimuli were thrown at him and simply bobbled throughout his...more
Julia
I was interested in reading this book, in part because of my daughter's battle with leukemia. This book was about a 44 year old man battling prostrate cancer, but the emotions brought up with a cancer diagnosis are universal.

The life lessons learned in this book are nothing we all haven't heard before. Enjoy life to its fullest, cherish every day you have, value family and friends over possessions. We all know we should be doing this, but sometimes it takes something as serious as cancer to remi...more
Jonathan
As a middle-aged, stay-at-home father, I found the author's self examination poignant as well as deliberately tactful and conscientiously comforting. There are many things to recapture when you feel like life is getting away from you and you've lost a sense of your younger identity. Jim Higley's journey (albeit through his cancer recovery) illustrates why we should never give up on ourselves and the ones we care about most. Enjoy.
Meagan
I am very impressed by this book. While Higley's perspective on cancer is not incredibly unique, his perspective on life and the connections between events in our lives provides valuable lessons for readers. I believe that the subtitle of the book, the style of writing, and the layout of the book perfectly parallel the author's intentions, and I appreciate the way that Higley challenges readers without being overly conversational.

Some of the lessons are not unique, but some are articulated in a...more
Kitty Bullard
JIM HIGLEY'S "BOBBLEHEAD DAD" (REVIEW)

I am in love with Jim Higley and his family. I honestly do not think there is anyone out there that will read this story and not fall in love with the man. I fell in love with his spirit, his warmth, and his overall determination to not only defeat cancer but to keep a positive attitude, learn from the experience and live every day to the fullest. This book is one of a kind, his experience is richly woven in such a way that it keeps you reading. Anyone that...more
Susan
I just found out that I won this book from Goodreads! Looking forward to it! Thanks!

I finished this book not long after I posted my first remarks, but haven't been on Goodreads in ages. The book was very moving...a great story about a Dad who finds out he has cancer...how the cancer changes not only him but the people around him and his relationships with them. My own Pops was diagnosed with stomach cancer in 1998 and this book made me think of him and all of the changes he went through followi...more
Donna
"Not just a cancer memoir," I might have read those words in one of the blurbs before I requested this as a First Reads book, but they're actually true. And that's okay, because it was not what I was expecting; I got exactly what I expected, and I enjoyed it. It sounds strange to say one "enjoyed" a cancer/inspirational memoir, but the stories, or "Life Lessons" included in this are poignant, funny and wise, some of them all at the same time. Higley is to be commended for delving into this subje...more
Paisley
This book was very easy to read. I liked the short chapters with each chapter being a lesson. I feel like this book would be very enjoyable to someone older than me and may appeal more to males. Being a teenage female i didnt relate to this book very well. The author is funny and gives lessons that i believe are great lessons for an older audience. I was bored for most of the book just because i didnt care about the topics. Even so, the writing style is good and i would reccomend it to someone l...more
Julie Harrison
Every parent should read this book. I read it in one sitting. Truly amazing. I absolutely loved how he chose a memory from his past and somehow compared it to something current. I also have a very large family history of cancer and reading his story made me think of my own family and it was so moving. I laughed and cried- sometimes in the same chapter! It really warms your heart to read this book. Like I said I am going to recommend it to all parents!
Jenny
This is a free book from the Goodreads First Reads giveaways.
This memoir reflects what happens when one man is confronted with a cancer diagnosis and what he learns during the summer of his recovery from surgery. Written in an engaging manner with some basic life truths (live for today, keep it simple, etc). The author is fortunate to have good family and friends in his support network. I really enjoyed the wholesome stories of his childhood.
Julie
Do not judge the book by the title or cover or you might, as I did, crack this open thinking it would be something on the silly lines of "Sh_t My Father Says" a book that had me at hello and provided hearty belly laughs. This is a cancer story-memoir. It absorbed me for an afternoon and has been on my mind since. I just hate cancer, but if you have to read about it, this one has some nice messaging.
Dave Moyer
I guess private relationships are private, but when you do a memoir of personal experiences, it seems that some things have to be a part of it, and leaving out all reference to his divorce is a bit questionable. At any rate, this account of life's simple lessons in the midst of a cancer battle does help the reader keep some focus on what's important and how to simplify in a complicated society.
Shannon Baas
This was a great book. i loved how the author went back and forth from his childhood and earlier adult life and the present after he had been diagnosed with cancer, the surgery and recovery. i would definitely recommend it, especially for someone who is going through treatment for cancer.
Mary
A single father must face a battle with prostate cancer, which changes his entire perspective on life, reminding him of what matters most in this world. An inspirational story you won't soon forget! Read my full review here: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.act...
Sandra Orlando
Bobblehead dad...now I see myself as Bobblehead mom! this was a great, inspiring read. This book, at minimum, has reminded me how important it is to live day-to-day and to quit focusing on the future. Every time I catch myself bobbing my head, I chuckle, open my ears and focus on the hear and now.
David Richardson
The message I got from this book is to slow down and pay attention to what is going on in your life. Time passes too quickly to take anything for granted. Enjoy today! I received this book for free from the Goodreads first read giveaway.
Suzanne
I loved this book & read it in one day, as it was hard to put down. It is inspirational and will encourage anyone, regardless of what challenges we face, to live in the present and look for life's lessons along the way. Highly recommend!
Jenna
I received this book as a giveaway on Goodreads. I didn't really connect with this author. The lessons he learned and how he relates them to his current situations were a bit of a stretch. I found it really hard to keep reading.
Peggy
Story about a dad dealing with cancer and the effects of it on himself and his family. How he comes to deal with it and how he comes to see that the little day to day events are important.
Camille Breckenridge
Great advice on making the most of life's lessons and keeping yourself in the moment==not wishing your life away.
Melissa Kayden
Good book with an uplifting outlook on life. It made me want to reach out to someone.
  • Heroes for My Son
  • The Council of Dads: My Daughters, My Illness, and the Men Who Could Be Me
  • The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5
  • Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • Family Wisdom from the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
  • Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment
  • If... (Questions For The Game of Life)
  • The Dyslexic Advantage: Unlocking the Hidden Potential of the Dyslexic Brain
  • The Truth About Butterflies: A Memoir
  • Fixing My Gaze: A Scientist's Journey Into Seeing in Three Dimensions
  • Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • If Life Is a Game, These Are the Rules
  • No Man's Lands: One Man's Odyssey Through The Odyssey
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • 100 Easy Recipes in Jars
JIM HIGLEY is the Bobblehead Dad—writer, speaker, life observer, and cancer warrior. He is the inaugural winner of the “World’s Greatest Dad” Challenge, a nationwide contest sponsored by Procter & Gamble Production’s Man of the House magazine.

Higley’s weekly fatherhood column, “Bobblehead Dad,” is published in the Chicago Tribune’s TribLocal. He is also a featured contributor for other nation...more
More about Jim Higley...
Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew Flowers in the Crags