Start by marking “Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop” as Want to Read:
Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop

Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,358 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Renowned for beautiful cakes and whimsical confections, Miette Patisserie is among the most beloved of San Francisco's culinary destinations for locals and travelers. Miette's pretty Parisian aesthetic enchants visitors with tables piled high with beribboned bags of gingersnaps, homemade marshmallows, fleur de sel caramels, and rainbows of gumballs. This cookbook brings th ...more
Published June 22nd 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Miette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miette

Yaaresse
Apr 02, 2016 Yaaresse rated it did not like it
Another review said they rather wanted to punch Miette in the face. I'm inclined to agree. At the very least, I want to throw one of their cakes at them.

I have never eaten a product from Miette. It may be nectar of the Gods, the best baked goods on the planet. It may be the warmest, fuzziest, friendliest, most homey bakery in the universe. But I doubt it. All I can tell you is that I now have no desire to set foot in the place.

The author goes into much detail about her "philosophy" and techniq
Anne
Mar 01, 2015 Anne rated it did not like it
This book is a joy to look at from the first scallop-edged page to the last. Unfortunately the joy is short-lived. I have to agree with the reviewer that called this book the most pretentious cookbook in the last decade (?). The author talks about 'american cakes reinvented', and lectures US about the importance of going that extra mile by using the finest ingredients such as locally milled cane sugars and flours and then clearly doesn't take the time to test and proof-read the manuscript?????

L
Tessa
May 29, 2012 Tessa rated it did not like it
i kind of want to punch miette in the face.
Arri
Apr 03, 2012 Arri rated it did not like it
This book has so many errors in it, it shouldn't be published. The photography and layout are beautiful and instill the hopes for a proper cookbook, but obviously Miette didn't want to publish their "secret" recipes and decided to publish a botched job. I wrote to the publisher, and they said they would send me a new copy with the updated recipes. Alas, it arrived, and the recipes are EXACTLY the same...no additional information on a separate card or anything. Terrible terrible.

Any baker will r
Oct 22, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Most pretentious cookbook in a decade. They could have adapted more for the home baker & cared less about The "proper" Miette way. That said, the cupcakes & some cookies look good.
Cody
Nov 26, 2012 Cody rated it did not like it
Shelves: food
This cookbook in a nutshell: Here are my fabulous and delicious recipes which are definitely too complicated for an idiot like you!
Heather
Jun 13, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
This is a gorgeous book. I found the scalloped edges of the pages (instead of straight edges) adorable. Some of the pictures seemed redundant (there were pictures of a big cake plus pictures of its cupcake version), but all were shot beautifully.

However, none of the recipes seemed inspired; I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, given how unimpressed I was upon stopping by both of the SF Miette shops. I was put off by the hot milk cake recipe, which seemed exceedingly tedious. I was also disapp
L
May 21, 2012 L rated it it was amazing
This cookbook changed my life (and unfortunately, my pants size, but that is temporary). A fabulous book with excellent, easy-to-follow recipes that will have you baking like a pro in no time, the Miette Bakery Cookbook has excellent tips for cakes, Parisienne macaron (the reason I bought the book), ganache, butter creme, etc. The book starts with an introduction to technique, lists tools to be purchased, stores to source ingredients, and then presents recipes in a very step-by-step manner with ...more
Heather Duff
Mar 25, 2014 Heather Duff rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to finally get my hands on this beautiful book after a long time sitting on my wish list, it was finally bought for me after much nagging!!

Miette, if you have not heard of them are famous for their fantastic cakes and pasty creations, originating in San Francisco, started by Meg Ray the shop first came to life as a tent at a local farmer's market and has progressed from there to several beautiful bakeries.

Beautifully designed, this is a stunning hardback book with pretty scall
Aileen
Sep 28, 2012 Aileen rated it really liked it
i love the food display suggestions.. making me wanna have a bakery...:)BUT the recipes are boring ..just plain cakes recipe with intriguing deco..but the book packaging and scalloped pages are pretty.. ( well that makes me to buy it..grrrr)
Gina Enk
Nov 03, 2012 Gina Enk rated it it was ok
Beautiful photography and lovely details, but this cookbook is too exacting for this home cook!
Miette
Jun 03, 2012 Miette rated it really liked it
Awesomeness! Plus, it's my name ^^
Megan
May 04, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing
Do you know what Miette means? It's crumb in French. How cute is that? I love this book. I checked it out from my local library and I'm immediately putting it on my Christmas list. It was full of delightful little recipes as well as pictures that will make you drool! A lot of step by step instructions as well as pictures to help guide you on your quest to make picture perfect pastries at home. I did notice the author and owner of Miette is totally cute and skinny. Why is it that all these bakers ...more
Amy
Jun 10, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
The cakes and other treats featured by Miette are beautiful, and I'm sure absolutely delicious. I enjoyed reading about the TLC that goes into each recipe, but they're quite complicated. They have a "special occasion, to be eaten right away" vibe to them, so I'd likely only bake one of these items on a very rare basis, if at all. One of my favorite things about the book is that the cakes are portioned for 6-inch cake pans, making them easier for a couple of people to finish.
Kendra
May 22, 2012 Kendra rated it it was ok
Disappointing! After noticing major errors just reading some of the recipes but fortunately before I tried to make any of them (for example, the chocolate buttercream variations direct you to add the chocolate- or coffee-flavored butter to the "yolks," and of course there are no egg yolks in the recipe), I checked out the reviews on the book. It seems to be riddled with errors. So I went to download the errata. Hmm, the one on the publisher's website is different from the one on the bakery's web ...more
Bonnie
Feb 12, 2016 Bonnie rated it liked it
As beautiful as the book is, the recipes aren't friendly for a domestic kitchen. The recipes pull from 3-4 other recipes (For frosting, cream fillings, syrups, etc) so there's a lot of complexity that isn't initially evident. It's fun peeking behind their kitchen walls to see how they build these beautiful creations, but I can't imagine most people with the stamina to create any of the cakes.
September Dee
Nov 16, 2014 September Dee rated it did not like it
This is a pretty little book but I hope you know how to bake so that you can figure out how to correct the mistakes in the recipes. It is rather pretentious to write a cookbook and then have it full of errors without any way to correct it. How did this get to print? What a waste. A cookbook must be accurate for heaven's sake.
Linda
Sep 01, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I may update this after I make something out of it. The products are lovely in the pictures but I've never seen a cookbook with so many errors published. There's actually a page pasted in this book of corrections plus a suggestion you check the web site.

Logic dictates that professional chefs don't give away all their secrets but you do expect recipes will come close and be accurate. Stay tuned.
Lorelei
Jun 25, 2012 Lorelei rated it it was amazing
I picked this book out from the library because of the beautiful cover and photos inside - all my favorite cookbooks entice in such ways. I only tried one of the cakes, I think it was the gingerbread one? It was the best cake I've ever made - spare traditional cakes. Mostly I used the cookbook for cookies (the lemon shortbread is amazing) and giving my first shot at marshmallows. The recipes are all very easy to understand and the end products were all crowd pleasers. I was surprised when I went ...more
Christina
Jul 23, 2015 Christina rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book while flipping through it to choose a birthday cake at my daughter's request. I chose the chocolate Tomboy Cake with raspberry buttercream. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Catherine
Aug 08, 2015 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: food-farm-garden
Recipes and pretty photos from the San Francisco bakery. The scalloped pages are extremely cute, but a pain to turn. When hot cocoa season arrives, I really need to try making homemade marshmallows.
Stephanie Richard
Feb 04, 2015 Stephanie Richard rated it liked it
Beautiful pictures, beautiful book. I made the cookies, they were really nice, but the errors mentionned in the others reviews don't make it a reliable book. May try a few more recipes, though.
Susan O'brien
This is a beautiful cookbook and the recipes look yummy. I actually went out and bought a 6 inch cake pan yesterday because all the layer cake recipes use that size which I originally found very annoying. I only have 8 inch and 9 inch pans which are standard for American home kitchens. The prospect of making a cute 6 inch cake was too inticing plus a smaller cake = less calories consumed. Now I notice that the other reviews cite many errors in the text so I can't give this cookbook any rating. A ...more
Tony
Sep 13, 2011 Tony rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Amazon sent an e-mail, announcing that some of the recipes have the wrong ratio of ingredients. A link provided an errata page. Not only has Amazon apologized; they will also send me a corrected version of the book when it is re-published in October. I can pitch or keep the first book.

This is a gorgeous book. Give it as a gift to a serious baker and you will receive much love in return.

(Grading of specific recipes to follow).

to-wit:

A tart is only as good as its crust. True that. And the pate suc
Purplepaperreader
Dec 20, 2011 Purplepaperreader rated it liked it
Shelves: yum
This book is nicely laid out - great pictures with a picture for every recipe and some additional photos of individual steps. The recipes are easy to follow and the instructions are clear and well laid out. There are a few base recipes that are modified into different recipes which is nice as once you've mastered the cakes you will be able to bake up some lovely variations.

The book doesn't offer all that many variations for the home baker (i.e. the coconut cake has some pretty specific ingredie
Ashley
Jun 22, 2015 Ashley rated it did not like it
Shelves: gastronomy, 2015
The authorial voice is snooty rather than classy. Others have described the shortcomings of the recipes themselves.
Claire
Dec 28, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing
Although the recipes are complicated, if you follow them carefully you get fantastic results every time.
Allison
Nov 16, 2014 Allison rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Just a little too cutesy to be an essential addition to my bookshelf.
Laura Harrison
Sep 01, 2014 Laura Harrison rated it it was amazing
A terrific cookbook. A+++
Quince
Oct 28, 2015 Quince rated it it was amazing
Yum!
Miette Bakery Cookbook 1 7 Jul 17, 2011 05:45AM
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • 500 Cupcakes: The Only Cupcake Compendium You'll Ever Need (500 Series Cookbooks)
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Cupcakes!
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites