Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop

Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  679 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Renowned for beautiful cakes and whimsical confections, Miette Patisserie is among the most beloved of San Francisco's culinary destinations for locals and travelers. Miette's pretty Parisian aesthetic enchants visitors with tables piled high with beribboned bags of gingersnaps, homemade marshmallows, fleur de sel caramels, and rainbows of gumballs. This cookbook brings th...more
Published June 22nd 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Miette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miette

Anne
This book is a joy to look at from the first scallop-edged page to the last. Unfortunately the joy is short-lived. I have to agree with the reviewer that called this book the most pretentious cookbook in the last decade (?). The author talks about 'american cakes reinvented', and lectures US about the importance of going that extra mile by using the finest ingredients such as locally milled cane sugars and flours and then clearly doesn't take the time to test and proof-read the manuscript?????

L...more
Tessa
i kind of want to punch miette in the face.
Yaaresse
Another review said they rather wanted to punch Miette in the face. I'm inclined to agree. At the very least, I want to throw one of their cakes at them.

I have never eaten a product from Miette. It may be nectar of the Gods, the best baked goods on the planet. It may be the warmest, fuzziest, friendliest, most homey bakery in the universe. But I doubt it. All I can tell you is that I now have no desire to set foot in the place.

The author goes into much detail about her "philosophy" and techniq...more
L
This cookbook changed my life (and unfortunately, my pants size, but that is temporary). A fabulous book with excellent, easy-to-follow recipes that will have you baking like a pro in no time, the Miette Bakery Cookbook has excellent tips for cakes, Parisienne macaron (the reason I bought the book), ganache, butter creme, etc. The book starts with an introduction to technique, lists tools to be purchased, stores to source ingredients, and then presents recipes in a very step-by-step manner with...more
Tony
Sep 13, 2011 Tony rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Amazon sent an e-mail, announcing that some of the recipes have the wrong ratio of ingredients. A link provided an errata page. Not only has Amazon apologized; they will also send me a corrected version of the book when it is re-published in October. I can pitch or keep the first book.

This is a gorgeous book. Give it as a gift to a serious baker and you will receive much love in return.

(Grading of specific recipes to follow).

to-wit:

A tart is only as good as its crust. True that. And the pate suc...more
Arri
This book has so many errors in it, it shouldn't be published. The photography and layout are beautiful and instill the hopes for a proper cookbook, but obviously Miette didn't want to publish their "secret" recipes and decided to publish a botched job. I wrote to the publisher, and they said they would send me a new copy with the updated recipes. Alas, it arrived, and the recipes are EXACTLY the same...no additional information on a separate card or anything. Terrible terrible.

Any baker will r...more
Heather Duff
I was very excited to finally get my hands on this beautiful book after a long time sitting on my wish list, it was finally bought for me after much nagging!!

Miette, if you have not heard of them are famous for their fantastic cakes and pasty creations, originating in San Francisco, started by Meg Ray the shop first came to life as a tent at a local farmer's market and has progressed from there to several beautiful bakeries.

Beautifully designed, this is a stunning hardback book with pretty scall...more
Aileen
i love the food display suggestions.. making me wanna have a bakery...:)BUT the recipes are boring ..just plain cakes recipe with intriguing deco..but the book packaging and scalloped pages are pretty.. ( well that makes me to buy it..grrrr)
Most pretentious cookbook in a decade. They could have adapted more for the home baker & cared less about The "proper" Miette way. That said, the cupcakes & some cookies look good.
Cody
Nov 26, 2012 Cody rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
This cookbook in a nutshell: Here are my fabulous and delicious recipes which are definitely too complicated for an idiot like you!
Gina Enk
Beautiful photography and lovely details, but this cookbook is too exacting for this home cook!
Miette
Awesomeness! Plus, it's my name ^^
Heather
This is a gorgeous book. I found the scalloped edges of the pages (instead of straight edges) adorable. Some of the pictures seemed redundant (there were pictures of a big cake plus pictures of its cupcake version), but all were shot beautifully.

However, none of the recipes seemed inspired; I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, given how unimpressed I was upon stopping by both of the SF Miette shops. I was put off by the hot milk cake recipe, which seemed exceedingly tedious. I was also disapp...more
Megan
Do you know what Miette means? It's crumb in French. How cute is that? I love this book. I checked it out from my local library and I'm immediately putting it on my Christmas list. It was full of delightful little recipes as well as pictures that will make you drool! A lot of step by step instructions as well as pictures to help guide you on your quest to make picture perfect pastries at home. I did notice the author and owner of Miette is totally cute and skinny. Why is it that all these bakers...more
Amy
The cakes and other treats featured by Miette are beautiful, and I'm sure absolutely delicious. I enjoyed reading about the TLC that goes into each recipe, but they're quite complicated. They have a "special occasion, to be eaten right away" vibe to them, so I'd likely only bake one of these items on a very rare basis, if at all. One of my favorite things about the book is that the cakes are portioned for 6-inch cake pans, making them easier for a couple of people to finish.
Kendra
Disappointing! After noticing major errors just reading some of the recipes but fortunately before I tried to make any of them (for example, the chocolate buttercream variations direct you to add the chocolate- or coffee-flavored butter to the "yolks," and of course there are no egg yolks in the recipe), I checked out the reviews on the book. It seems to be riddled with errors. So I went to download the errata. Hmm, the one on the publisher's website is different from the one on the bakery's web...more
Lorelei
I picked this book out from the library because of the beautiful cover and photos inside - all my favorite cookbooks entice in such ways. I only tried one of the cakes, I think it was the gingerbread one? It was the best cake I've ever made - spare traditional cakes. Mostly I used the cookbook for cookies (the lemon shortbread is amazing) and giving my first shot at marshmallows. The recipes are all very easy to understand and the end products were all crowd pleasers. I was surprised when I went...more
Susan O'brien
This is a beautiful cookbook and the recipes look yummy. I actually went out and bought a 6 inch cake pan yesterday because all the layer cake recipes use that size which I originally found very annoying. I only have 8 inch and 9 inch pans which are standard for American home kitchens. The prospect of making a cute 6 inch cake was too inticing plus a smaller cake = less calories consumed. Now I notice that the other reviews cite many errors in the text so I can't give this cookbook any rating. A...more
Purplepaperreader
This book is nicely laid out - great pictures with a picture for every recipe and some additional photos of individual steps. The recipes are easy to follow and the instructions are clear and well laid out. There are a few base recipes that are modified into different recipes which is nice as once you've mastered the cakes you will be able to bake up some lovely variations.

The book doesn't offer all that many variations for the home baker (i.e. the coconut cake has some pretty specific ingredie...more
Jocelin
This book was so beatifully photographed and the baked goods just seemed to jump of the page. The presentation of the book was really cute as well. I did not know that Miette means (crumb) in French. I loved the introduction of the cookbook. You always get a good sense of someone and their dedication to the craft by reading the introduction. For anyone looking to expand their cookbook library this is the one book you should get.
Jennifer Salazar
Just be sure to check the published errata page available on the chronicle website for a dozen and a half errors in the recipes before you bake.

Gorgeous eye candy for anyone who bakes! Wow - beautiful cakes that look just like the ones in their shops in SF. the real test will come when I try to make some of the easier recipes and work up to the fancier cakes. Should be a tasty learning experience!

Niki
Interesting read, but the proof will be in the pudding. I mean, cake. Thanks to all who warned that the recipes aren't to be relied upon. Will check the Chronicle site for the corrections.

PS. Referring to the author as a chef on the book jacket is preposterous when inside she describes herself as a self-taught baker. Or, did I miss something?
Brett
Some of the recipes require exactitude to the point of being almost persnickety, but don't be afraid of them - if you follow the directions, they turn out like heaven. Her hot milk cake may be one of the best things I've ever eaten, even if it does involve a thermometer & straining.
Candi Kruse
A wonderful read/browse for the bakers among us. Perhaps a bit overwhelming to a home cook (splitting a single 6" wide cake into three to four layers will take some practice!), but an inspirational piece. I'm looking forward to giving a few recipes a try.
Tyra
Jan 02, 2013 Tyra added it
Simply beautiful cakes! The crippled textual errors are amazing though, as I have not encountered so many errata in one book. Completely unreliable, but worth the purchase to spy the uniquely designed cakes.
Renda Dodge
This book is full of errors in the recipes, the buttercream frosting tastes like eating pure butter and the recipes are deliberately complex. I made a couple recipes, they were all terrible.
Stephanie
I want to bake. The recipes in this call for special 6" cake pans, which I kind of like. It would be an investment, but I like the idea of making a smaller cake.
Tiffany Holbrook
Will probably never make anything out of this cookbook, but the photos are just lovely and always try to pick up something from there when I am in SF.
Laetitia
This book is the perfect balance. Every recipe i have tried is wonderful and there is such a good variety! And the scalloped edges are so cute!
Wendy
One of the cutest cookbooks ever. The pages are scalloped, for pete's sake! Haven't cooked out of it yet, but definitely will soon.
Miette Bakery Cookbook 1 6 Jul 17, 2011 05:45AM
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Baking
Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop Miette Confection Cookbook Miette Bakery Cookbook A Time to Eat Cake A Time to Eat Cake